HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey trying to make another splash - trade talk!

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2009, 08:38 AM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

vCash: 500
If your gonna start a rumor with no link to back you up might as well make it a good one.

Gomez for Zetterberger.

Old
12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
InPriceWeTrust

You should put Eklund in the title, if you are gonna start this thread.

He reported Gomez to Florida last night

Old
12-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
If your gonna start a rumor with no link to back you up might as well make it a good one.

Gomez for Zetterberger.
Eklund at Hockeybuzz.com

Old
12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Komarov47

Well 22 goals and 23 assists last season 48 pim. it's less than Scotty last season, but Horton isn't at his best yet.

Old
12-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Sebaldian

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/statuses/6234969153

Quote:
CBJ will be looking for a D-man and may move a winger if the right fit can be found.
We'll have a log jam at D pretty soon. Does CBJ have any wingers that could be interesting to us?

Old
12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

i cant take people wanting to trade gomez, its godamn idiotic.
can we let the guy play a full season?
He has played 20 games and has been hurt. Holy christ, you guys are ready to ship him out for anyone.

Relax, just like you all have wanted price, plekanec, obyrne gone at one time or another. We already have 12 new players this year, injuries, can we have a little patience? You ever hear of finsing chemistry? But no, lets trade more.

Just because the guy makes 7 mil dosent make him terrible. I hate how the salary cap has skewed player evaluations.

Old
12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
AlexD666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Just because the guy makes 7 mil dosent make him terrible. I hate how the salary cap has skewed player evaluations.
yes! For the same price we could have: Thornton, Spezza, Iginla, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Marleau, Datsyuk and we can name a lot more.

If he was making like 4.5-5M$, I would like to keep him. But he is making 7.357 so if we can trade him, let's do it!

Old
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
otto bond

well said alex

Also just in......Gomez is learning french/end rumor

Old
12-01-2009, 09:59 AM
AlexD666

Quote:
I hate how the salary cap has skewed player evaluations.
Maybe you don't understand that with a salary cap, player's salary play a big role in the evaluation. A player like Gomez making 7M and 50pts a no a good value for a team.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Agreed. It infuriates me to no end when people rip/seek to trade a player just because of the salary he was awarded. For some reason, people here seem to value unused cap space over actual production.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Trading Gomez now would be a mistake, let him play half the season with Gionta and Cammy and see if his points grow. Let's wait and see

There's no need to wait if the offer is Nathan Horton... I'm not a fan of Horton (Lazy sometimes and his face looks like a monkey), but he is younger, cheaper and a real Power forward who can snipes it in, which is something this team needs. Florida wouldn't do that trade... It would take more than just Gomez IMO...

The sooner you get rid of Gomez, the better it is. I would take almost any average offer to ship Gomez away somewhere if I was the GM...

Anyways... Gomez wouldn't even be on my team, because never in a million years I would've done that ridiculous trade with the Rangers in the first place...

Gainey

Because of that, Gainey might not be able to resign guys like Plekanec and Markov who are thousand times more valuable than Scott Freakin Gomez !!

Old
12-01-2009, 10:22 AM
mt_mtl

Soooo.... Gainey is putting in a new pool???

Chlorine pucks

Old
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD666 View Post
yes! For the same price we could have: Thornton, Spezza, Iginla, Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Marleau, Datsyuk and we can name a lot more.

If he was making like 4.5-5M$, I would like to keep him. But he is making 7.357 so if we can trade him, let's do it!
"Hello (insert gm name)

I would like Joe Thornton, i am offering Chris Higgins with 2 unproven prospects"
Yes, my name is AlexD666 and i am the smartest man alive"

I dont even know how to respond to this.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Trunitsyn View Post
There's no need to wait if the offer is Nathan Horton... I'm not a fan of Horton (Lazy sometimes and his face looks like a monkey), but he is younger, cheaper and a real Power forward who can snipes it in, which is something this team needs. Florida wouldn't do that trade... It would take more than just Gomez IMO...

The sooner you get rid of Gomez, the better it is. I would take almost any average offer to ship Gomez away somewhere if I was the GM...

Anyways... Gomez wouldn't even be on my team, because never in a million years I would've done that ridiculous trade with the Rangers in the first place...

Gainey

Because of that, Gainey might not be able to resign guys like Plekanec and Markov who are thousand times more valuable than Scott Freakin Gomez !!

So as it stands, you would have started the season without two top 6 centers and probably without Cammy as well (if we believe what he said). That's 33pts less.
That means Metropolit would have been your #2 center.

And yes, we'll still have room to re-sign both Plek-Markov, and even Hamrlik if we want too.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:56 AM
theGhoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Carolina is already dead last in the league. If they keep it up, they'll have the most chances to get the #1 overall pick.
So they could very well end up with Taylor Hall and still have Staal.
I really don't understand why the Canes would move him. It would be completely stupid and senseless.

Staal is a 100pt player, 40-50G scorer. He's worth more than Kessel who only scored 19G once (36) and never gathered more than 60pts.
Doesn't really matter if he's having a bad year, it won't affect his value.
Crosby is only averaging a 1pt/gp ratio this year, that's a big drop in production for him. You think his value dropped??..

Value for such talented players will only decrease if their production constantly drop over a number of years.

Staal will not be moved. It makes zero sense.
Oufff! I guess that has changed!

Old
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Lucius

At the risk of agreeing with Eklund...

I think the Habs are in the market for a winger if anything. Plekanec and Gomez are both kind of 1B centres, but two of them is a nice one-two.

Horton seems logical.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
theGhoad

Quote:
So as it stands, you would have started the season without two top 6 centers and probably without Cammy as well (if we believe what he said). That's 33pts less.

And yes, we'll still have room to re-sign both Plek-Markov, and even Hamrlik if we want too.
Your right on the point there! You could add a major riot around the Bell Center too.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD666 View Post
Maybe you don't understand that with a salary cap, player's salary play a big role in the evaluation. A player like Gomez making 7M and 50pts a no a good value for a team.
Why would it even matter? It's not like we're signing his checks. Sometimes when I read people, I feel like for them cap space is more important than a Stanley Cup.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Erika

Quote:

Gomez has 11 points after 26 HABS Games (he has 11 in 22). Like if it would do any difference at this point. Gomez was an absolute non factor so far this season and probably in his next five when he will average around 40-50 points per season in his next three and probably less than 40 in his final two.

And I don't believe this Cammalleri signed just because of Gomez thingy crap... Cammalleri is just a mercenary like all the other UFAs, he would have come anyways if the right money was on the table. If not, add 500 000$ or even 1 million to the offer. I'd rather overpay for Cammalleri than for freakin Gomez.

It's not because you can't find a bargain somewhere else that you have to overpay for deadwoods at you're local neighbor.

It applies in real life, the same goes for hockey...

Last edited by Erika: 12-01-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old
12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Gomez has 11 points after 26 HABS Games (he has 11 in 22). Like if it would do any difference at this point. Gomez was an absolute non factor so far this season and probably in his next five when he will average around 40-50 points per season in his next three and probably less than 40 in his final two.

And I don't believe this Cammalleri signed just because of Gomez thingy crap... Cammalleri is just a mercenary like all the other UFAs, he would have come anyways if the right money was on the table. If not, add 500 000$ or even 1 million to the offer. I'd rather overpay for Cammalleri than for freakin Gomez.

It's not because you can't find a bargain somewhere else that you have to overpay for deadwoods at you're local neighbor.

You're allowed to not believe what Cammalleri said, doesn't make it the truth.
I'm not trying to imply that Cammy only signed here for Gomez. There's always a bunch of factors as to why ''x'' player will sign on a team. Salary, teammates, city, direction of team, etc..
There isn't one tangible.

Yes, it would have made a difference. A 11pt difference, and like I said, your top 2 centers would be Plekanec and Metropolit. That's right after finishing such a disappointing year where we went from heroes to zeros.
There's no way that was going to happen, not in a million years. A change was set to happen, so no Koivu. Plekanec was coming off a bad season, there was no way to predict he'd have such a great start. We were hoping on a decent rebound year as a 2nd centerman.
So, a first line one is what we were looking for. The only one set to become an UFA was Sedin, but he wasn't moving anywhere.
Unless you considered Antropov and Prospal as top centers, there wasn't anybody else.

Gomez, although under performing, was and is still seen as a #1 center.
Even if his numbers aren't as high as they should, he's played very well for us. Gomez-Gionta-Cammy line was the only positive thing out of our team for the first 10games.

We didn't overpay for Gomez. We're winners out of that trade if we look at the swapped players. If you don't want to look at Cammy, then don't look at Gaborik either.

I'm satisfied with Gomez. He has not been a problem in any way.
His salary is high and he's not producing accordingly, but he's played well overall.

If his cap hit is the reason why we won't re-sign Plek or Markov, then I'll be pissed, but I don't think it will as I see us re-signing both of them.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Hermamoud

So if I read right, Erika would rather have Higgins than Gomez?

Old
12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/statuses/6234969153

We'll have a log jam at D pretty soon. Does CBJ have any wingers that could be interesting to us?
I wonder if we could snatch one of their young wingers.

Maybe a Carle for Mayorov swap.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
well said alex

Also just in......Gomez is learning french/end rumor
post of the year?

Old
12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Gomez WAS a factor early on, it's just the 4-5 games before going out of the lineup he was not playing well, maybe he was playing hurt.

Cap hit aside I really like what Gomez brings to the table. He's not just bout points, he's good at both ends, good on PK, very good at carrying the puck into the offensive zone and in the transition game, plus he has a cup and is said to be good in the room. Sure, it would be great if his cap hit was 4.5-5 mil instead, but it's not like trading him today that Spezza, Thornton or Heatley steps into our lineup. He makes our team better on the ice.

Old
12-01-2009, 12:30 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gomez WAS a factor early on, it's just the 4-5 games before going out of the lineup he was not playing well, maybe he was playing hurt.

Cap hit aside I really like what Gomez brings to the table. He's not just bout points, he's good at both ends, good on PK, very good at carrying the puck into the offensive zone and in the transition game, plus he has a cup and is said to be good in the room. Sure, it would be great if his cap hit was 4.5-5 mil instead, but it's not like trading him today that Spezza, Thornton or Heatley steps into our lineup. He makes our team better on the ice.
I totaly disagree with that argument. Gomez is good in the forecheck and the neutral zone, but, imo, he's a very bad player in the defensive zone. He's not strong enough and doesn't have the "defensive flair" Plekanec has.

As far as the offense goes, I don't see any difference than with Koivu. Plays hard, always moving, creating some scoring chances, but just doesn't have the talent to be a ppg player or just to earn his pay check.

I really don't like Gomez as a player, but I hate even more the fact that his salary cap is so high and for the next 4 years!

I wish we could unload his salary to another team... in a way, the Savard signing is a good thing, it removes a good centerman from the market.

Is it better to have Gomez now than Metropolit (or even Koivu) on the 2nd line? Of course, but Gomez won't give us the cup, he doesn't have the talent to carry this team. (...and please, people, no "he won the cup in NJ", we all know how they won it, with one of the best goalies in history, playing the greatest trap in history)

Closed Thread