HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WSH 4 MTL 3: Tough loss

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2009, 02:35 AM
  #151
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Price was subpar tonight, 3 suspect goals, not solid at all.

With some better positioning on the 1st and 3rd goals, we would've won easily.

Other than that, good effort by the boys.
The Habs wouldn't have gotten to OT without some great saves on Ovechkin and others, and he easily stopped Ovechkin in the SO, so stop second guessing. Of course, better shooting against Varlamov would have helped. You're hopelessly demanding if you want everything to go your way while overlooking the good things that happened.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:17 AM
  #152
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 25,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
seems like every goal price gives up is bad on this board. its ridiculous. poor positioning, no rebound control, to slow on his lateral movement, on his knees too early etc.
First of all, goalies make mistakes. It's fair to comment on whether or not someone thinks they made a mistake, and what it might have been. One thing I'm still wondering: do those who believe that Price has only looked bad on nights when he was unlucky extend that same logic to say he has only looked good on nights where he was lucky? Probably not, I'm guessing. Or is it possible, that he, like just about every other NHL starter, is a really good goalie who still makes mistakes from time to time?

I still don't know why everyone gets so defensive about it... and by defensive I mean offensive. The number of people who responded to his post in anger/derision, and the manner, was quite amusing, but borderline sad.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:38 AM
  #153
Washington Capitals
Registered User
 
Washington Capitals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,300
vCash: 500
If you blame Price for the loss you are mad.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:10 AM
  #154
euphrates
Registered User
 
euphrates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal East
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
why would we choose to shoot first in the shootout when we know the visiting team has the last shot

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:15 AM
  #155
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,581
vCash: 500
to paraphrase Pierre Houde:

blame Lay-dee Gaa-Gaa

oh and also...just to point out: the mara penalty was BS. it was normal pushing and shoving. I wasn't that worried cuz I thought we could survive the 11 seconds. Remember that the had an extra player with with the puck in our zone at the time of the penalty. That was a pretty weak call and did "decide" the outcome of the game (referring to a previous concept in the forum about refs deciding the game). If Mara gets called for THAT (whatever that is), then it is not equal, unbiased officiating given that whatever he did was just typical outmuscling in front of the net. They could have called them for it many times before or even us many times before, but they only did it in the circumstance where it might change the game. In my eyes, that's pretty much circumstance-biased reffing. But of course, still agree...we should NOT have allowed them to score there.


Last edited by habtastic: 11-29-2009 at 04:22 AM.
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:12 AM
  #156
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,839
vCash: 500
I read the first 10 posts and I'm glad I didn't watch the game, I take it we had the lead and the caps scored with 10 secs left and won in OT.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:45 AM
  #157
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Threads like this make me ashamed to be in the same group with so-called "hab fans".

They play a decent game, come back from a 0-2 deficit, get a point and lose a shoot out to a team that will most likely be in the top 3 in the east.

They show dedication, the team as a whole plays with heart etc...Price makes some obviously awesome saves in key moments.

Then all people here can do is bash the two players that carried our team over the last 7-8 games (including this one) for being just "very good" and not "brilliant" and "perfect" as they are supposed to be since "we" have chosen to cheer for them. Madness.

Price did not stop the rebound. Plek lost several important face-offs. Then missed a SO. Yea, they suck - trade them for a bag of pucks, who cares.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:05 AM
  #158
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Letting the puck squeak through his legs maybe? Jesus, all I said was he played a subpar game compared to his spectacular streak the last several games and all his defenders come jumping out.
Watch the replay closely of the GTG.

1. Price makes the save on a huge BOMB by #8
2. Rebound falls at his knees
3. He tries to cover it up nonchalantly by using his stick to scoop it in between his pads
4. Attacker uses Carey's own stick (with his own) to force the puck in between his legs and into the net

That was the weirdest 5-hole I have seen.

Also what bothered me the most about this game is that Jaques Martin didn't use Pacioretty in the shootout when you saw how hard he tried to win it by himself at the end of OT. And for the love of god, stop shooting first, and stop using Cammy as first string (like I said, it would have been only fitting to give Patches the first opportunity there).

Otherwise solid game and I enjoyed watching this team. Me thinks Gainey's staff is really hard at work now evaluating players and solving this puzzle once the vets get back.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:12 AM
  #159
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I read the first 10 posts and I'm glad I didn't watch the game, I take it we had the lead and the caps scored with 10 secs left and won in OT.
You're glad you didn't watch the game?

Ignorant.

Fool.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:12 AM
  #160
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
price passing the puck to the caps was THE bad move that led to crosscheck thrn goal. i dont get why he didnt pass to his teamate who was right there..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:20 AM
  #161
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
price passing the puck to the caps was THE bad move that led to crosscheck thrn goal. i dont get why he didnt pass to his teamate who was right there..
I think there was a guy all over him, itll be a learning curve. He will figure out what to do with the puck in those situations cause ive seen it happen a few times. He makes some sweet passes but you always run the risk i guess. At the same time the penalty wasnt to stop a guy from scoring so you cant put the whole blame on price there.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:21 AM
  #162
L4br3cqu3
Booya !
 
L4br3cqu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 905
Some people here are just so clueless...

Price was awesome, again, Plekanec was awesome, again, yet some find a way to blame them for the loss when nearly half of our forwards are 3rd-4th liners, or AHL players...

Tough loss, that's for sure, but referees should be fined sometimes when they're horrible... the penalty to Giroux, the one to Pacioretty (Ovechkin was diving) and the one to Mara

Anyway, they showed a lot of effort tonight, nearly paid off, and I'm glad Gomez and D'Agostini returns next week

L4br3cqu3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:22 AM
  #163
MELANDAN
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
How can you blame Price for any of the three goals. 1st goal deflection , give me a break . Second goal ..NO CHANCE . Third goal .. shorthanded , loss face-off ( JM could have put somebody better out there ) .. Price makes 1st save... left all alone in front ... Caps score on rebound . Lets face it , great effort by $25 million team , Price saved us again and just wait till we are healthy ( with Markov ) and see what this team can do . There are a lot of good things to look forward to .

MELANDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:29 AM
  #164
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
What a frickin stupid comment...I think I have my vote for stupidest post for 2009.

Great effort by the players tonight. With all the injuries this team has right now, I was really impressed with how the guys played.
It shows what it is to have a REAL coach behind the bench, players buying into a system.... Did anyone else listen to Carbo last night, holy crap he reminded me of Billy Bob Thornton in sling blade with his ability to communicate, wow no wonder he could'nt coach, based on some of his comments he sounded as if he did'nt have a clue what was going on ..... Oh check that, same as last year.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:35 AM
  #165
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
First of all, goalies make mistakes. It's fair to comment on whether or not someone thinks they made a mistake, and what it might have been. One thing I'm still wondering: do those who believe that Price has only looked bad on nights when he was unlucky extend that same logic to say he has only looked good on nights where he was lucky? Probably not, I'm guessing. Or is it possible, that he, like just about every other NHL starter, is a really good goalie who still makes mistakes from time to time?

I still don't know why everyone gets so defensive about it... and by defensive I mean offensive. The number of people who responded to his post in anger/derision, and the manner, was quite amusing, but borderline sad.
Let's face it the faceoff with 14 seconds left was a cluster****. Plekanec lost that faceoff more cleanly than any scenario that Washington could have hoped for when they drew that play up, the puck got to Ovechkin with such lightning efficiency that Moen and Gorges simply didn't react to what was going on. The play ended with Price, despite a flawless game to this point, abandoning fundamentals and not getting his paddle down on the rebound that lay in front of him.

Five guys not able to get it done at a critical time. But as you say , the mere suggestion that Price was part of the 5 man breakdown brings The Brigade out to fight on the basis that someone is "blaming Price for the loss" .

It's to the point that individual plays can't be analyzed or interpreted any more.

Plekanec was the largest culprit on that play, but he's played marvelously for about 2weeks. Doesn't make the play any more or less difficult to take.

Oh, and for the people who don't like winning in OT because it gives the opposition a point, last night we gave witness to a situation that actually *MIGHT* have a bearing on our destiny down the road. A bad faceoff in the dying moments cost the team a point. Since this isn't the first time we've seen this last second scenario, JM better find the personnel and X's and O's that get that job done.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:36 AM
  #166
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Haha price is cold by tsn.ca standards lol. The ovechkin shot was ******** i had to rewind a few times to see it go in.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:38 AM
  #167
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Let's face it the faceoff with 14 seconds left was a cluster****. Plekanec lost that faceoff more cleanly than any scenario that Washington could have hoped for when they drew that play up, the puck got to Ovechkin with such lightning efficiency that Moen and Gorges simply didn't react to what was going on. The play ended with Price, despite a flawless game to this point, abandoning fundamentals and not getting his paddle down on the rebound that lay in front of him.

Five guys not able to get it done at a critical time. But as you say , the mere suggestion that Price was part of the 5 man breakdown brings The Brigade out to fight on the basis that someone is "blaming Price for the loss" .

It's to the point that individual plays can't be analyzed or interpreted any more.

Plekanec was the largest culprit on that play, but he's played marvelously for about 2weeks. Doesn't make the play any more or less difficult to take.

Oh, and for the people who don't like winning in OT because it gives the opposition a point, last night we gave witness to a situation that actually *MIGHT* have a bearing on our destiny down the road. A bad faceoff in the dying moments cost the team a point.
Pleks lost back to back faceoffs bad to that guy. Looked like he was trying to win it outright instead of just scrambling it, but i dont know much of the trade of faceoffs.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:44 AM
  #168
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Pleks lost back to back faceoffs bad to that guy. Looked like he was trying to win it outright instead of just scrambling it, but i dont know much of the trade of faceoffs.
Plekanec tries to win every faceoff that way. If it gets physical he gets manhandled.

This is a situation I would have thought Chipchura would have long been trained for but sadly he looks destined to be a hockey footnote.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:49 AM
  #169
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by linp View Post
Just check the faceoff summary:

PLEKANEC 7 / 21 33%

METROPOLIT 8 / 15 53%

LAPIERRE 6 / 10 60%


And we sent PLEKANEC out to take the faceoff with 15 seconds left. !@#$%!
Coaching error for failing to recognize who was hot and who was not

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:57 AM
  #170
Bob in Niagara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Pyatt and White have earned their spots in the NHL. Doesn't matter what we have to do to make room.

I'll take a subpar team that works its collective ass off every game over a team with all the talent in the world and no heart whatsoever. You need character to win, and these guys have it.
You know it....and I am impressed with Sergei ....that little stint in Hamilton seems to have done wonders for him....and Pacioretti looks like he is going to become a really good player also..I love his wheels

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:57 AM
  #171
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
i think at 40 seconds left mark two habs had the puck but didnt clear it and lost it so a caps took it, which lead to the price pass to caps, then to cross check then to goal. anyone noticed?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:12 AM
  #172
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
My only fear is that this season is already a write off.
In this league, a 3-4 game win streak does wonders for position in the standings

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:16 AM
  #173
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Watch the replay closely of the GTG.

1. Price makes the save on a huge BOMB by #8
2. Rebound falls at his knees
3. He tries to cover it up nonchalantly by using his stick to scoop it in between his pads
4. Attacker uses Carey's own stick (with his own) to force the puck in between his legs and into the net

That was the weirdest 5-hole I have seen.

Also what bothered me the most about this game is that Jaques Martin didn't use Pacioretty in the shootout when you saw how hard he tried to win it by himself at the end of OT. And for the love of god, stop shooting first, and stop using Cammy as first string (like I said, it would have been only fitting to give Patches the first opportunity there).

Otherwise solid game and I enjoyed watching this team. Me thinks Gainey's staff is really hard at work now evaluating players and solving this puzzle once the vets get back.
No! Keep shooting first and keep using Cammy as the first shooter! Just because we lost a couple of shootouts in a row.....(well, this is HF Habs board where bi-polarity is the norm). Most coaches want to put the pressure on the other team by scoring first. Carbo didn't do it that way but he wasn't exactly a great strategist. As far as Cammy goes, why wouldn't you use him 1st? If you slot him as your #3 shooter, there's a chance he might not even get a shot. I want our best sniper in there early to put pressure on the other team.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:23 AM
  #174
A1
Everything is awful
 
A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
i think at 40 seconds left mark two habs had the puck but didnt clear it and lost it so a caps took it, which lead to the price pass to caps, then to cross check then to goal. anyone noticed?


Yeah I don't know who it was that had the puck, but Cammelleri was open about 10 feet away and probably could've taken a decent shot at the empty net, but the D-man tried a weakass clearing attempt up the middle of the ice that was easily picked up by a capital at the blueline. That's the play that really stuck out to me. The Mara penalty was pretty bogus too, and essentially cost us the game.



I feel so bad for the boys, I've never seen them protect the lead so well in the 3rd, they weren't giving Washington anything. The Canadiens seem to be much better at following the coach's system as a 3-line team, than a 4-line team. I'm worried we won't play Martin's system as well when everybody is back, I think we're doing it right now because we go into every game afraid of getting blown out with our AHL roster.


I liked Pyatt alot in pre-season, but White is definitely the guy who needs to stay up. Pacioretty needs to bulk up and keep his head up, or he's going to get hit with a career-ending hit.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:31 AM
  #175
Habskrieg
Registered User
 
Habskrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I read the first 10 posts and I'm glad I didn't watch the game, I take it we had the lead and the caps scored with 10 secs left and won in OT.
We were also losing 2-0 after the first period, the game was nice. Refs ruined us. For a team with soo many AHLers, this was very entertaining and interesting. We have good players trying to make the NHL jump.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.