HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Hawks: Post game ******* YEAH!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2009, 12:59 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

vCash: 500
Gendo is 1-0...

Old
11-29-2009, 01:01 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
That's ok, that's what we'd expect from the bay area peeps.
Sorry, watching Sharks hockey has me either spoiled or envious or both. I've come to expect either a three period domination or a humiliating come-from-behind victory every game.

On the other hand, I have uber-grounded playoff expectations.

Old
Omni Owl
Ray of Black Sun

Great game to watch live. The pace in overtime was furiously exciting.

Old
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quick without a doubt were our best player and followed by a bunch of others that also had a great game.

FYI Kings defenders total shot ....an amazing amount of ????? 4 shots

Old
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

I changed my avatar back to Brown. He was the man tonight.

I felt bad for ditching him, but he needed a kick in the butt.

I should put my Quick avatar back up. He is just the man. The key saves at the right times. He's been doing it all season. Numbers be damned. He's a hell of a goalie.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:07 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

Brown was good tonight. I think one day he could become an Ethan Moreau. Or maybe even a Trent Hunter.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

I should put my Quick avatar back up. He is just the man. The key saves at the right times. He's been doing it all season. Numbers be damned. He's a hell of a goalie.
I second this post. Quick was the man. Brownie had one of his very best games, we all know he can play this way. Also Kopitar, Simmonds, Frolov, Handzus, Parse, Richardson, Johnson, Doughty, Drewiske, Greene, O'Donnell all played strong games.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:19 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Side note, forgive me, Purcell sucked. Two beautiful passes to him. He just had to snap it quick and he hesitated both times and could not get a shot off. For a player known for his offensive instincts...

Brown was hitting and man it was nice to see. That is his game. For the love of all Kopitarians out there, bottle tonight's game Brownie and repeat. Simmonds is looking to score. How fun is that!? Jack had a damn good game. He is so damn strong. I do wish he would use his speed and skating more to bring the puck out of the defensive zone verses always looking for the immediate pass but alas, that is probably a bit too risky for Terry.

Did anyone else jump out of their skin when Simmonds damn near ended the game and that puck went off Huet's glove and trickled wide?

Stoll played a safe and fundamentally sound game for his 1st one back. He wasn't trying to do too much.

Ivanans made me lol. There was a play where Quick lost the puck, it was behind him, he extended his pad and sweeped the puck away from I believe Toews. There is Raitis. The puck nearly at his feet. He has no idea. Not a clue. Just looking straight ahead while everyone else is clamoring for the puck.

Drew is sometimes too aggressive on defense. He lost Toews on a play and the Hawks damn near scored. That will come with time and when he can calmly force defenders to the outside and lock them up against the boards (something Jack has gotten very good at), he will be an even better defenseman.

How good was Zeus tonight? Loved his game. Where has that face off skill been?

My favorite part about tonight's game is that we took Chicago's game and shoved it down their own throat.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:19 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
Brown was good tonight. I think one day he could become an Ethan Moreau. Or maybe even a Trent Hunter.
Dare to dream...

Old
11-29-2009, 01:28 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

No the classic Ivan play was when he skated the puck in even though it was offsides all the way from center ice and had no idea. That was hilarious.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:09 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
There's not much more that I can say. Great great game by most of the team. Simmonds and Jack (and of course Quick) were beyond excellent

I dont know if they do it every game, but you could just tell by that pump-up video they played at the beginning (with the batman music and the clips of Kings teams past) that we had tow in.

With all this said, Jones is horrible. He is so bad. I would pay 1.4 mil just to have him off my team!

It's as if he never learned defensive positioning. He singlehandedly created at least 3 odd-man rushes by being terribly out of position. Hopefully Scuderi steps in before Jones really screws over our Kings somehow

Old
11-29-2009, 02:35 AM
nikolai19

You know that feeling you get when you lean back in your chair too far and you catch yourself just before you go backwards, I feel like that when Ivanans, Richardson, and Purcell are on the rink.

I doubt that LA would be lucky enough to get what they got for Brian Boyle in trade value when it comes to Purcell.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:41 AM
nikolai19

I didn't want to be totally negative, because this was a great game and a fantastic win for this team.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:41 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

I've only watched the occasional highlights as a non kings fan, but what in the world is going on with kopitar (i have him in my fantasy). useless without smyth, slumping or being double teamed by defenders constantly?

Old
11-29-2009, 02:44 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine to Five View Post
I've only watched the occasional highlights as a non kings fan, but what in the world is going on with kopitar (i have him in my fantasy). useless without smyth, slumping or being double teamed by defenders constantly?
All of the above

Well, not useless. But having a guy like Smyth helps a guy like Kopitar

Old
11-29-2009, 03:03 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Gendo is 1-0...
hmmm, I was thinking Asuka is 15-10-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Ivanans made me lol. There was a play where Quick lost the puck, it was behind him, he extended his pad and sweeped the puck away from I believe Toews. There is Raitis. The puck nearly at his feet. He has no idea. Not a clue. Just looking straight ahead while everyone else is clamoring for the puck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
No the classic Ivan play was when he skated the puck in even though it was offsides all the way from center ice and had no idea. That was hilarious.

I was sitting at sec 116 and I think every time a puck came near Rat when Kings were entering the zone, it looked like he wanted to ask TM what he should do with it or was waiting for his linemates to tell him what to do..
Pure Comedy.

And Purcell.., yeah... umm..

Old
11-29-2009, 03:35 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Great overall game.................

but the next time we have to play short handed one minute before overtime ends,
someone has to explore some rules to Murray.

If you are allready down to 3 guys you can't get any weaker.
especially 1 minute before the overtime ends you have to hack and slaw the opponents doesn't matter how many opponents have to be carried down with on a stretcher.
You have at least 3 players on the ice...

Old
11-29-2009, 03:42 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm drunk and more. Stole two points tonight but I'll take it.

Simmonds is dropping mix tapes all over the NHL the last few games.

Parse is perfect on that 3rd line. Don't understand the post saying the honeymoon is over...doesn't he have a 3-game point streak? At least 2 points? Either way, he finishes his checks, back-checks and make plays. The honeymoon is definitely still on...he just went to go get some more champagne to keep it going.

That Ivanans off-sides play had me and my boys rolling! TM played him so much!! He even answered the Hawks goal with Ivanans!! Like I said: stole two points.

Brown has been good the past two games. I'm hoping he keeps it up because they need him to play better.

Wins!!

Old
11-29-2009, 04:10 AM
bland

Quick was fantastic - on all his angles, swallowing up rebounds, good decisions with the puck, just a great game.

Brown - night and day from recent efforts. He was busting his ass in the neutral and defensive zones all night long, breaking up attacks, punishing the right Hawks...

The main cog in Brown is how decisive he plays. When he doesn't hesitate and over-think things, he can be a force. I don't care if he doesn't pick up more than a few goals over the rest of the season, tonight shows just how much positive impact he can make when he wants it.

Simmonds is getting more and more confident, far and away the most dangerous player on the ice tonight.

One thing I will say about Parse, and it is probably be the best compliment you can give a guy like him: he is just a damn good hockey player. Not a prolific guy, not a sexy player, just an honest, hard nosed hockey player.

Christ, our power play sucks. It's this umbrella style that theoretically funnels pucks toward the net, but it only works if the pointmen can get their shots through and I dunno, players actually create screens in front of the net. Neither of that is happening right now, and it doesn't help when the high forward refuses to shoot.

It's stagnant - no one is moving. There are no options for the passers, and the board men end up getting out-numbered by the short-handed team. Absolutely pathetic.

Old
11-29-2009, 04:15 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Quick was fantastic - on all his angles, swallowing up rebounds, good decisions with the puck, just a great game.

Brown - night and day from recent efforts. He was busting his ass in the neutral and defensive zones all night long, breaking up attacks, punishing the right Hawks...

The main cog in Brown is how decisive he plays. When he doesn't hesitate and over-think things, he can be a force. I don't care if he doesn't pick up more than a few goals over the rest of the season, tonight shows just how much positive impact he can make when he wants it.

Simmonds is getting more and more confident, far and away the most dangerous player on the ice tonight.

One thing I will say about Parse, and it is probably be the best compliment you can give a guy like him: he is just a damn good hockey player. Not a prolific guy, not a sexy player, just an honest, hard nosed hockey player.

Christ, our power play sucks. It's this umbrella style that theoretically funnels pucks toward the net, but it only works if the pointmen can get their shots through and I dunno, players actually create screens in front of the net. Neither of that is happening right now, and it doesn't help when the high forward refuses to shoot.

It's stagnant - no one is moving. There are no options for the passers, and the board men end up getting out-numbered by the short-handed team. Absolutely pathetic.
That is what I've been saying: he is a ****ing hockey player. Totally didn't expect this type of game out of him since he was such a scorer at the NCAA level but he is perfect on that 3rd line, especially since it lets Frolov move to a scoring line. He makes plays and understand the game...he and Simmonds work very well together.

The silve lining on these injuries is that we know Modry can fill in for O'Donnell when needed and, when Smyth gets back, the 2nd line can be Frolov/Stoll/Brown since Parse is great on the 3rd line.

Also, "Marked for Death" Segal is a nice addition to the 4th line. As an advocate of enforcers, I never thought I would say that the Kings should only dress their enforcer against tough teams but Ivanans is awful. Roll a 4th with Purcell/Richardson/Segal and let's see what happens once the team is healthy.

Old
11-29-2009, 04:30 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Every King player to the man stepped it up tonight. (even Raitis, who didn't take a stupid penalty)

Brownie was leading by effort, and plastering any Hawk who came near.

Simmonds es en fuego!

Stoll played hard but looked a tad out of rythym.

Dont get the "honeymoon over comment re Parse either. He sticks as a third line guy, and always gives 100%.

Richardson, who I have been down on lately, played well and was tenacious, but his strentgh on the puck and in the corners is suspect. I have a theory about why he cant' score, and it has to do with magnets!

Williams played well, but the first line minus Smyth isn't even half as good. For as hard as Kopitar played, he is not going to the tough and dirty parts of the ice where he was scoring from when accompanied by Smyth. At one point in the 1st they had the cycle going and Williams took the puck from the left corner toward the back of the net. Had it been Smyth doing that, Kopi would have made a bee line for the front of the net, expecting the pass from Smyth. Instead, he rotated back high and Chicago cleared the puck.

Although he still hasnt scored in ages, I thought Purcell played well defensively, but Good God, when you're at or just inside the dot on the PP SHOOT THE PUCK!!! I don't believe the kid will make it, at least not here.

The defense stood up against the bigger Hawks lineup, and Greene was also a Black and Blue member tonight, dealing out more than his fair share of bruises....He was especially good mid-way through the first, and set the tone for the rest of the team in regards to physicality.

The two Shootout goals were amazing and JJ really might have to see some duty at right wing, just so we can see how good his offensive moves really are.

And on the note of saving the best for last, Jonathon Quick, First Star, probably played the best game of the season, and shutting out Kane and Toews so that Hossa, as the third shooter is meaningless was PRICELESS. And oh yeah, Did I hear someone say something about our goaltending recently? Tonight you saw what JQ is all about, focus and fundamentals with a whole lot of skill. HE DESERVED THE WIN THAT HE GOT TONIGHT AND THE FIRST STAR SELECTION.

And don't look now, but with a third of the season gone, we are on pace for a 45 win season. Long way to go still, but a benchmark has been set. Lets hope TM can hold them steady on course.

The hockey tonight (from both teams) was very good and vastly more entertaining than what we all saw a year ago. YOU KNOW, I REALLY LOVE THIS GAME!

Go Kings GO!!!

Old
11-29-2009, 04:39 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post

Two things jump out at me about the failure on the PP if I am going to accept the idea that this basic set-up can work at all.

First, JJ needs to be more decisive and quick with shooting the puck. He's always looking for a great shot and hasn't learned to just put the puck in a good place on net. He hesitates and it kills the PP.

Second, for it to work at all, the shots need to come from the middle of the ice, but the problem is, no one is ever ready to recieve a pass at the top middle. They are always playing catch closer to the boards and then trying to move the puck to the middle for a shot, but by the time they do that, the high forwards are all over them and taking any good lanes away. They need to rework the rotation so that someone gets free in the middle of the ice for a pass and a quick shot before the defense can adjust. Basically they have to have Kopi on the half-wall moving towards the net wide, then very quickly back to the point and to the middle for a quick shot. Instead of getting too low before those passes get to the point.

God it frustrates me.

Old
11-29-2009, 06:20 AM
HellasLEAF
Coach Babcock :D

nice win guys. how did you top pp look? Stoll back on the point? (fantasy related, don't shoot me

Old
11-29-2009, 06:34 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Brown, Simmonds, and Quick definately were the Kings best players to me tonight.

Most of what I saw you guys already mentioned, but I think Brown had a lot to do with changing the momentum of the game with a few big key hits and offensive plays. We definitely need to see more of this out of him.

Simmonds is probably my favorite King right now. I see a solid 2nd line player in his future easily. This guy is just that good.

Quick was the main reason we won.

Old
11-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
nice win guys. how did you top pp look? Stoll back on the point? (fantasy related, don't shoot me
Cut and run while you still can.

Closed Thread