HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Hawks: Post game ******* YEAH!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2009, 07:37 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

vCash: 500
Kopitar is snakebitten right now. Once one goes in he'll start piling up the points again. He's still top five in the league, despite only putting up a goal and 7 assists in 11 games.

Old
11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

It's a long season, don't know how much more bipolarness from my fellow kings fans that I can take. Good game, we beat a better team. Keep it going boys.

I'm officially on the get rid of Ivanans wagon.

Go Kings Go!

Old
11-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
You know that feeling you get when you lean back in your chair too far and you catch yourself just before you go backwards, I feel like that when Ivanans, Richardson, and Purcell are on the rink.

I doubt that LA would be lucky enough to get what they got for Brian Boyle in trade value when it comes to Purcell.
Thats harsh on richardson, I'd go as far as saying over the past 6 or 7 games, he has worked harder than any other player on our roster. I feel safe with him on the ice since you know you are going to get a full shift where the opponents arent going to get anything easy because richardson will be everywhere

Old
11-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Great overall game.................

but the next time we have to play short handed one minute before overtime ends,
someone has to explore some rules to Murray.

If you are allready down to 3 guys you can't get any weaker.
especially 1 minute before the overtime ends you have to hack and slaw the opponents doesn't matter how many opponents have to be carried down with on a stretcher.
You have at least 3 players on the ice...
I think maybe next time we have to play shorthanded one minute before overtime ends, Murray should tell you some rules. If they are 4 on 3 in overtime and we give away another penalty, it turns into a 5 on 3 powerplay

Old
11-29-2009, 12:43 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Drewiske. What a STEAL this guy was. A gold mine find by DL's college scouts. Undrafted! This guy is going to be a (cheap!) stalwart on D for years to come for us.

Old
11-29-2009, 12:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Drewiske. What a STEAL this guy was. A gold mine find by DL's college scouts. Undrafted! This guy is going to be a (cheap!) stalwart on D for years to come for us.
Where have all the Lombardi haters disappeared to?

Old
11-29-2009, 01:56 PM
lumbergh

Anyone else think that Frolov had his best game of the month last night?

Old
11-29-2009, 02:09 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Big time. He had 3 shots I think and was actually cutting towards the middle and looking to the net on nearly every shift! If only if only if only if only he would play like that the majority of the time, re-signing him would be a no brainer. Unfortunately, that was the first game of the season he truly played hard and up to his skill level in that respect.

Keep it up Fro, for the good of us all!

Old
11-29-2009, 02:10 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I have to admit, watching the game live does a lot of justice to Frolov and Johnson. They looked really quite excellent.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:14 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Big time. He had 3 shots I think and was actually cutting towards the middle and looking to the net on nearly every shift! If only if only if only if only he would play like that the majority of the time, re-signing him would be a no brainer. Unfortunately, that was the first game of the season he truly played hard and up to his skill level in that respect.

Keep it up Fro, for the good of us all!
i think he has been playing very well for quite some time now... and apparently, so does Murray.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:18 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i think he has been playing very well for quite some time now... and apparently, so does Murray.
He has been playing well since Smyth went down, but last night was another couple of rungs up the ladder.

He's been strong and passing out front and playing great D lately, fighting harder for loose pucks and actually moving his feet to get those 50/50 pucks. The difference last night was taking the puck to the middle himself on a regular basis. He has done it a couple of times lately (like the goal he got against... well I forget), but he is doing it more consistently and last night it was shift after shift after shift which was just excellent to see. He was the top lines best player last night hands down. Kopi was on the perimeter and Williams was good, but not great... though his little break-out passing was on fire.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Last night was how we all want Fro and Johnson to play all the time.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Butch 19
King me

"double overtime..."

Whoever does the 11:00 sports news on channel 7 last night closed the sports report by saying "... and the Kings beat Chicago 2-1 in double overtime." ?? double OT?? (and of course no hockey highlights on a Saturday of college football and Laker game)

Do the Kings really have to educate sports reporters in L.A. that there is no such thing as "double OT" until the playoffs? This should be embarrassing, but ya know, I'm sure no one in the studio called him on it.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:54 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Whoever does the 11:00 sports news on channel 7 last night closed the sports report by saying "... and the Kings beat Chicago 2-1 in double overtime." ?? double OT?? (and of course no hockey highlights on a Saturday of college football and Laker game)

Do the Kings really have to educate sports reporters in L.A. that there is no such thing as "double OT" until the playoffs? This should be embarrassing, but ya know, I'm sure no one in the studio called him on it.
It's your fault for watching local sports news.

Who watches that crap anymore? Jim Hill is by far the stupidest sportscaster around and local news never covers sports the way they should, especially, kings hockey. Nope, this one's all on you.

It's either ESPN sportscenter or Foxsports news for me.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
It's your fault for watching local sports news.

Who watches that crap anymore? Jim Hill is by far the stupidest sportscaster around and local news never covers sports the way they should, especially, kings hockey. Nope, this one's all on you.

It's either ESPN sportscenter or Foxsports news for me.
What can I say - if I'm watching tv on a Sat nite, I'll check out what the "local media" says about the Kings.

I don't know why I expect a change though.

Jim Hill does a hilarious job of pronouncing Anze Kopitar's name...

Old
11-29-2009, 03:04 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
For whatever reason, some sports agencies that provide score reports abbreviate shootout wins as "2OT" so people can differentiate between an "OT" win and a shootout win "2OT".

Crack sports staffs that don't know hockey from lawn bowling mistakenly refer to this as a double-overtime.

On an unrelated note, someone asked in the GDT why in some cases face-offs are not in the attacking zone when the other team takes a penalty. It happened in the Vancouver/Edmonton game last night and the CBC analyst explained why. Here's the official rule on the matter:

"The resulting face-off shall be located at a face-off spot in the zone nearest to where the play was stopped when the offending team gained control of the puck, except when they do so in their attacking zone, to which the ensuing face-off will be conducted in the neutral zone near the defending teamís blue line.

If the stoppage of play is caused by the defending team (puck frozen along the boards, frozen by the goalkeeper, shot out of play) and the attacking team is to be penalized, the resulting face-off shall be made at the nearest face-off spot in the defending zone. The only exception to this face-off location is if, prior to the stoppage of play for the assessment of the penalty, the non-offending team ices the puck. Then, the face-off following the stoppage shall take place at one of the two face-off spots in the neutral zone near the defending blue line of the team shooting the puck."

Old
11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
For whatever reason, some sports agencies that provide score reports abbreviate shootout wins as "2OT" so people can differentiate between an "OT" win and a shootout win "2OT".

Crack sports staffs that don't know hockey from lawn bowling mistakenly refer to this as a double-overtime.

On an unrelated note, someone asked in the GDT why in some cases face-offs are not in the attacking zone when the other team takes a penalty. It happened in the Vancouver/Edmonton game last night and the CBC analyst explained why. Here's the official rule on the matter:

"The resulting face-off shall be located at a face-off spot in the zone nearest to where the play was stopped when the offending team gained control of the puck, except when they do so in their attacking zone, to which the ensuing face-off will be conducted in the neutral zone near the defending teamís blue line.

If the stoppage of play is caused by the defending team (puck frozen along the boards, frozen by the goalkeeper, shot out of play) and the attacking team is to be penalized, the resulting face-off shall be made at the nearest face-off spot in the defending zone. The only exception to this face-off location is if, prior to the stoppage of play for the assessment of the penalty, the non-offending team ices the puck. Then, the face-off following the stoppage shall take place at one of the two face-off spots in the neutral zone near the defending blue line of the team shooting the puck."

Wow Tony. I never thought I could learn so much in one post.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

Good point. But it also shows that the local media is even more out to lunch than I first thought. Shouldn't the "sports reporter" know that there is no such thing as double OT in the regular season? All games are done before 11:00 and he doesn't go on until 11:20 or so, doesn't he read through his report before he goes on? He may have and thought it was fine.

This also shows that the channel 7 didn't even have the game on in their own studio - saying double ot may be "acceptable" for a game between Atlanta and Boston, but when the game involves the team that plays in the city that you are supposed to be covering...? can't they get that right?

Quote:

wow. This happened in the Kings/Philly game and I had no idea why. After reading the "explanation" above, I still don't know. ???

I thought the whole idea was to simplify the initial PP faceoff location and always have it in the offensive zone (also to create more scoring)

Thanks for the info.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
wow. This happened in the Kings/Philly game and I had no idea why. After reading the "explanation" above, I still don't know. ???

I thought the whole idea was to simplify the initial PP faceoff location and always have it in the offensive zone (also to create more scoring)

Thanks for the info.
Yeah I was wondering about that last night as well as in the Philly game.

Thanks for the explanation Tony, but like Butch, I still don't get it.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:58 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:

Thanks for the info.
the faceoff location also moves (like in the case against Philly) where a penalty down low results in a scrum and a defenseman from the awarded team leaves his area and comes down to join in the altercation.

Old
11-29-2009, 04:00 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
the faceoff location also moves (like in the case against Philly) where a penalty down low results in a scrum and a defenseman from the awarded team leaves his area and comes down to join in the altercation.
That doesn't make any sense to me (I mean, I get what you mean, but it seems stupid).

Almost like it's a slight punishment instead of giving out a matching minor. Its like "Well, I could have giving you a rough as well for a 4-on-4, but it wasn't so bad, so I'll just screw you on the face-off."

That's how I took it when I saw it.

Your explanation kind of confirms that to me. Petty.

Old
11-29-2009, 04:26 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me (I mean, I get what you mean, but it seems stupid).

Almost like it's a slight punishment instead of giving out a matching minor. Its like "Well, I could have giving you a rough as well for a 4-on-4, but it wasn't so bad, so I'll just screw you on the face-off."

That's how I took it when I saw it.

Your explanation kind of confirms that to me. Petty.
It's not that they aren't giving out a roughing call, the defenseman joining a scrum rule is just to help keep most scrums small for the refs by providing a small discouragement to D-men from coming down. Defensemen don't have to actually do anything in the scrum to get the faceoff moved it, it's automatic as soon as one of them goes on down low. It's not instead of a roughing call or something.

It is kind of an odd rule, but when you think about it, it makes sense. If it wasn't a rule, every single scrum would involved all the skaters on the ice and take longer to break up.

Old
11-29-2009, 04:48 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
wow. This happened in the Kings/Philly game and I had no idea why.
It was driving me nuts at the Philly game as well (it happened 2 or 3 times that game alone). wabwat's explanation adds more reasoning to it as well. Good stuff.

Old
11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
BringTheReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Kopitar is snakebitten right now. Once one goes in he'll start piling up the points again. He's still top five in the league, despite only putting up a goal and 7 assists in 11 games.
I agree, I almost jumped out of my seat when Frolov gave him that beautiful pass from behind the net because I was sure Kopi would score but no dice. At least he came up big in the shootout.

Old
11-29-2009, 06:35 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Nobody butchers a name like Jim Hill of CBS sport. Also, he seem to get the scores wrong all the time. Our 3-1 win in EDM was a 2-1 win, and more than once have I heard shootouts referred to as shutouts, including this gem" And in hockey, the Kings were shutout 3-2 tonight"

Closed Thread