HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quit Fighting It Oilers, A Long Overdue Rebuild Should Be Upon Us

Old
11-29-2009, 02:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Could you please name thease players for me? And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way.
Off the top of my head, Frolov, Brown, Kopitar, O'Sullivan.

Kopitar is better than anything that we have.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:55 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

If the Oilers are drafting top three hopefully they can get a Kopitar equivalent and with Eberle and MPS they have some decent prospects.

If they can parlay Souray and Visnosvsky into prime prospects they should be set.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:56 AM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:

YAH! So who do we have that is better than those players. I think you misunderstood me or I missunderstood DSF.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
If the Oilers are drafting top three hopefully they can get a Kopitar equivalent and with Eberle and MPS they have some decent prospects.

If they can parlay Souray and Visnosvsky into prime prospects they should be set.
I just visited the Souray thread and someone mentioned Turris for Souray. Imagine if we could pull that one off and then Lubo for Filatov. Then we draft top 3, one year rebuild complete. Then just add some cheap but effective vets next year and let the kids play and learn under a seasoned coach like Quinn. Turris, Filatov, Toews/Seguin, MPS, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Penner, Brule, suddenly it doesn't look too bad for the future.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:00 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:

Both Segiun and Hall are 9.0 Material.Fowler and Kabanov are 8.5's.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:06 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
I just visited the Souray thread and someone mentioned Turris for Souray. Imagine if we could pull that one off and then Lubo for Filatov. Then we draft top 3, one year rebuild complete. Then just add some cheap but effective vets next year and let the kids play and learn under a seasoned coach like Quinn. Turris, Filatov, Toews/Seguin, MPS, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Penner, Brule, suddenly it doesn't look too bad for the future.
It's a start.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:07 AM
Meganuck*

one other possibility. Ales Hemsky & Cogliano for Evander Kane. The guy has no ceiling on his potential and could be a future captain.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:12 AM
ChaoticOrange

I cant stand fairweather fans personally.
I think as long as people see effort and going toward a goal, such as a rebuild the fans will keep going. We will never be in a Phoenix or Isles situation, attendance wise.

I'd be willing to bet that even in the dark days of the early 90's our attendance average still never got below 13,000. The Oilers can and will survive a rebuild.

ChaoticOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:24 AM
surixon

Agreed with the premise of this thread, this team needs a plan in a big way. I also believe that it wont take more then a couple of seasons at most to get this team back on track if they can acquire a top 3 pick at this draft, and make some smart trades and moves.

My plan:

Guys I deem untouchable: Penner, Brule, Gagner and Hemsky (only because his value will be incredibly low due to his injury. Would be open to dealing him if this wasn't the case.) upfront. Smid and Vish on D.

One of Grebs or Gilbert stay on the team to provide puck movement and hopefully good second pairing d ability and one is packaged. Sourrey is gone at the deadline for picks and prospects and bottem six roster player. Staios and Moreau are traded, waived or bought out.

Cogs, Osullivan are dangled as trade bait along with Gilbert or Grebs and maybe a good prospect like Omark to net plug some holes.

I really like the looks of the Penner, Brule, Gagner line and the Smid, Vish pairing moving forward.

Now the key is to build another balanced scoring line and a solid two way checking unit. As well as 2 other d pairs.

If a proper tank is done A lottery pick nets us one of if not the most important piece of the second scoring line in Hall or Sequin. Hemsky if still on the team is another component.

The Oilers package O'sullivan or Cogs with say Omark and a second to get a good center with size that can win a draw to complete the second line.

If the Oilers can somehow move Horcs salary they do it, if not he slots in as the third line center. the bottem six player acquired in the Sourey deal is also a component of the line and one of Eberle or MPS have the oppertunity to make the other spot.

Fourth line center is Potulney with Jaques/Veteran role player and Stortini/Veteran role play as the fourth line.

On D: after the S & V pairing you have pairings two and three puckmovers in Grebs/Gilbert and Chorney respectably. I sign a Veteran defensive demen as a FA to play with and mentor Chorney. I dangle Gilbert/Grebs plus Osullivan/Cogs to gain an Very good mid age gritty two way dmen to solidify the second pairing.

I get rid of all the fringe players.

I keep Bulin and actively try to find a suitible backup for him in the offseason.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Lounge Act*

^And things have changed in this market since the mid-90s. I don't see the sellout streak ending anytime soon - they should have tanked the last two seasons. For this franchise to return to a even a hint of their former glory, they must do a tank job for at least the next two years ala Pittsburgh/Chicago, and I will be behind them every step of the way.

I will be cheering for them to lose every game for the rest of the season because it will be the best thing for this franchise in the long run. It's better to cheer for them to lose because short-term pain will reap long-term gain. It's time to reject mediocrity and mid-round picks after a hot finish that will result in another non-playoff season anyway.

If you want this franchise to have any chance to win the Cup in the next ten years you'll do the same.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:33 AM
GatoradeG*

Quote:
Toews?

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

The Oilers' fortunes aren't chaging until you get a franchise player. A top 3 pick wouldn't guarantee that by any means, but it gives you a better shot at it than any move you could make via trade or free agency right now.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:25 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
The Oilers' fortunes aren't chaging until you get a franchise player. A top 3 pick wouldn't guarantee that by any means, but it gives you a better shot at it than any move you could make via trade or free agency right now.

but as I asked in the poll

would oiler fans be able to handle a full rebuild

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Lummer20

At last we are witnessing the inevitable result of the foul tenure of an insider's Nepotism Club headed by the unqualified and over-deified Kevin Lowe and the hire of his equally unqualified and overmatched pal, WacT. Lowe made the mediocre personnel moves and tossed around the idiotic contracts, and WacT's arrogance and inability to asset manage ruined what little promise there was.

You've got to hand it to a couple of guys who took full advantage and rode their negligible contributions to the dynasty (both were easily replaceable without the core missing a stride) to positions of unquestioned unaccountability based on little more than cult of personality.

And Hoser Nation drank the Kool Aid like dollar beer; the new owner is just a rich, jock sniffing version of them.

Marquee and other top players know this and want no part of it, despite the slickly produced propaganda DVDs from the 80's plus one improbable recent run to the finals.

Reap it.

Last edited by Lummer20: 11-29-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Lummer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

Quote:
BBO.

Weren't you just berating us Negative Nancies 2 days ago?

We've been saying this for three freaking years.
No offence but, BBO, you should change your name to Sybil.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:58 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
It's a start.
Surprised to see you buying into this pipedream .

I'm going to refrain from getting too giddy about our " can't miss " prospects like Omark and MPS and Eberle . I remember the OP penning similar threads with names like Trukno and Mikhnov and Shremp featuring on the top line . Hope can be cruel .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummer20 View Post
At last we are witnessing the inevitable result of the foul tenure of an insider's Nepotism Club headed by the unqualified and over-deified Kevin Lowe and the hire of his equally unqualified and overmatched pal, WacT. Lowe made the mediocre personnel moves and tossed around the idiotic contracts, and WacT's arrogance and inability to asset manage ruined what little promise there was.

You've got to hand it to a couple of guys who took full advantage and rode their negligible contributions to the dynasty (both were easily replaceable without the core missing a stride) to positions of unquestioned unaccountability based on little more than cult of personality.

And Hoser Nation drank the Kool Aid like dollar beer; the new owner is just a rich, jock sniffing version of them.

Marquee and other top players know this and want no part of it, despite the slickly produced propaganda DVDs from the 80's plus one improbable recent run to the finals.

Reap it.
On the other hand .... a little hope is sometimes a good thing .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Agreed, IMO this rebuild only needs 1 or 2 seasons because Lowe did acquire some decent pieces to the puzzle in his time here. IMO if we could acquire another elite talent like Filatov and land a guy like Hall/Seguin/etc. this year we'd be in a pretty good position for the future.

I wonder how much Katz figures into this.
Agreed. The Oilers don't need to go into a 5 year rebuild. We have some nice building blocks in place but the problem is we don't have a foundation. Someone like Hall/Seguin would be great for this team's future and having a core that already has Gagner, Brule, Grebs, Hemsky, Penner, Smid, MPS, Eberle,etc would be a very good team to build around.

I would be open to trading Souray at the deadline or summer but Vis on the other hand...unless we are getting an elite prospect I don't do it. Definetly not for a Greene/Stoll package.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:34 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Surprised to see you buying into this pipedream .

I'm going to refrain from getting too giddy about our " can't miss " prospects like Omark and MPS and Eberle . I remember the OP penning similar threads with names like Trukno and Mikhnov and Shremp featuring on the top line . Hope can be cruel .

On the other hand .... a little hope is sometimes a good thing .
I certainly don't value any of those picks as "can't miss" and I certainly don't believe the process would be easy or painless.

However, if done properly, rhis kind of rebuild can work fairly quickly.

The problem here would be commitment from the team and the smarts to pull it off. I'm not so sure Lowbellini has either.

Old
11-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

I agree with this actually.

I know the "quick rebuild" thing can often be a fool's gold, but at least one thing the Oilers have going for them is I think they could pull that off.

If you could add a Taylor Hall, while retaining a core of Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, Brule ... I think you're on track. Then you can bring in Hall, Eberle, and MPS into the system over a couple of years. Maybe deal Souray or Lubo for younger D-Men that we can build with there.

You don't need a 3-5 year rebuild here, but that's contingent on getting the right player with that high pick.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

What gets me is why anyone isn't looking at the Oilers off-season conditioning. This is the second time in how many seasons that the majority of the roster was out with injuries?

Why has this not been questioned/investigated?

Old
11-29-2009, 10:27 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I agree with this actually.

I know the "quick rebuild" thing can often be a fool's gold, but at least one thing the Oilers have going for them is I think they could pull that off.

If you could add a Taylor Hall, while retaining a core of Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, Brule ... I think you're on track. Then you can bring in Hall, Eberle, and MPS into the system over a couple of years. Maybe deal Souray or Lubo for younger D-Men that we can build with there.

You don't need a 3-5 year rebuild here, but that's contingent on getting the right player with that high pick.
Yes it is.

Old
11-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Tedi

Quote:
I certainly don't value any of those picks as "can't miss" and I certainly don't believe the process would be easy or painless.

However, if done properly, rhis kind of rebuild can work fairly quickly.

The problem here would be commitment from the team and the smarts to pull it off. I'm not so sure Lowbellini has either.
Maybe Oilers mgmt. should consult you first, seeing as how you have all the answers. LA has yet to prove anything to anybody and doesn't the Smyth signing kind of negate Lombardi's whole philosophy. Doughty is a phenom and it was a remarkable pick up by the LAK, and put them in a position to trade away veteran dmen. Trading away Edmonton's current franchise dmen in Souray or Lubo isn't a good move considering there is no one to step into those roles. I wouldn't object to trading one and definitely some of our forwards, but I'm still hesitant to sink the ship on a whim. Turris and Filatov eh?...look no further than our current roster guy Patty O, solid Junior careers don't always translate to amazing NHL careers. It is a crap shoot at best.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Soundwave

Keeping one of Souray or Vis wouldn't be bad, but keeping both is overkill I think.

I think Souray is going to get pretty grumpy with the prospect of another year with no playoffs. He could be dealt at the deadline I think.

Vis is a puck moving D who can help out the kids on the back end for a while.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
What gets me is why anyone isn't looking at the Oilers off-season conditioning. This is the second time in how many seasons that the majority of the roster was out with injuries?

Exactly how do you condition your skull? Souray's could have been career ending and nothing could have prevented it. Unlucky more than anything...these guys are in shape.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post

Another thing to consider too is, why do we have so many shoulder inguries with this team? I am starting to think it is the boards at Rexal, too stiff?

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote