HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

T.J. Hensick is on waivers...

Old
11-25-2009, 11:46 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
T.J. Hensick is on waivers...

...I would pick him up. No doubt about it. He's worth a shot, at least. If he doesn't work out, waive him. If nobody picks him up, he can get the ship righted in San Antonio, where he'd be a huge producer. He's on his ELC, so it's a two-way that pays peanuts in the AHL. Totally worth the risk because there is no risk. Don Maloney should be all over this. He was an absolute offensive force at Michigan and has been a point per game player in the AHL. He hasn't done a lot in the NHL, but what can he do with five or six minutes of ice time in between healthy scratches? Of course, there is obviously a reason for the lack of ice time, the healthy scratches, and why he now finds himself on waivers. Still, there is no risk here. Gamble on him maybe taking this as a wake up call. Maybe he starts to play up to his potential. Maybe not. Why not find out?

Do it Donny. DO IT!

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

There are a lot of teams with a chance to "do it" before Donny but if he gets a chance I agree, no risk as long as they'd rather give him a chance than Porter.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
There are a lot of teams with a chance to "do it" before Donny but if he gets a chance I agree, no risk as long as they'd rather give him a chance than Porter.
Eleven. There are eleven teams with higher waiver priority.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Old
11-25-2009, 12:44 PM
XX
... Waiting

Hard to believe they couldn't find someone willing to cough up a pick or AHL player for him. They don't believe, honestly, that he is going to pass through do they? I'd pick him up, if only to have another wolverine around. Who knows what he could do with Porter and Kolarik?

If anyone should be all over this its the Coyotes.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:49 PM
PhoPhan

There's no reason not to roll the dice, but I don't see too much upside here. Hensick is one of those tweener players whose style doesn't suit the bottom six and skills aren't up to par for the top six. He's a man without a country.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
There's no reason not to roll the dice, but I don't see too much upside here. Hensick is one of those tweener players whose style doesn't suit the bottom six and skills aren't up to par for the top six. He's a man without a country.
Thing is, our line-up is wide open and desperate for offense. He could just simply luck out and find the right fit, here. Beyond the Fiddler, Winnik line, we don't really have what you would call a traditional bottom six, or top six.

Old
11-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Hi everyone, just found out about these forums and would like to contribute. About Hensick, he can be dynamic where he has great forecheck but other times he can get lazy in the D zone. I think the Coyotes should go after and try to make something out of nothing. Also I'm a sig maker and would be willing to make sigs for others but need to know how to edit my signature. Here's my Boedker Sig.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Of course too this would have to be at the approval of the NHL.
My guess would be if we do get TJ his services will be needed in the AHL first with all that has gone on and then comes up to play in the NHL if TJ proves himself to be worthy of a chance.

If we let TJ just start playing for the Coyotes then he'll be sent the wrong message of taking being in the NHL for granted going from one team to the next no matter how bad he plays.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Alamo

He can't be much worse than Mueller right now =P Id give him a shot at the NHL level for a couple games and scratch Mueller honestly. If we get him that is.

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Of course too this would have to be at the approval of the NHL.
My guess would be if we do get TJ his services will be needed in the AHL first with all that has gone on and then comes up to play in the NHL if TJ proves himself to be worthy of a chance.

If we let TJ just start playing for the Coyotes then he'll be sent the wrong message of taking being in the NHL for granted going from one team to the next no matter how bad he plays.
Posted via Mobile Device
Contracts don't get a whole lot smaller than Hensick's. Also, he can't be assigned to the AHL without clearing waivers. That's why he's on waivers right now.

Old
11-25-2009, 01:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
He can't be much worse than Mueller right now =P Id give him a shot at the NHL level for a couple games and scratch Mueller honestly. If we get him that is.
If anything, that would scare the **** out of Pete. We bring in a new guy, with some slick skills, and sit Pete out why we let the kid audition for Pete's job. If that doesn't light a fire under your ass, you have no business being a professional athlete.

Old
11-25-2009, 01:52 PM
knowsthegame

I don't think we need to pick up TJH. We have excellent guys waiting for the chance to play on the Yotes that have plenty of upside.
Plus we tend to give roster spots to the new guys whether they are deserved or not.(Korpikoski)
I wouldn't add a cent to the payroll for another maybe.
Give our young guys the chance.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:54 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
...I would pick him up. No doubt about it. He's worth a shot, at least. If he doesn't work out, waive him. If nobody picks him up, he can get the ship righted in San Antonio, where he'd be a huge producer. He's on his ELC, so it's a two-way that pays peanuts in the AHL. Totally worth the risk because there is no risk. Don Maloney should be all over this. He was an absolute offensive force at Michigan and has been a point per game player in the AHL. He hasn't done a lot in the NHL, but what can he do with five or six minutes of ice time in between healthy scratches? Of course, there is obviously a reason for the lack of ice time, the healthy scratches, and why he now finds himself on waivers. Still, there is no risk here. Gamble on him maybe taking this as a wake up call. Maybe he starts to play up to his potential. Maybe not. Why not find out?

Do it Donny. DO IT!
Agree there is no risk but I don't see it based on Tippet's seeming aversion to young, unproven players.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Agree there is no risk but I don't see it based on Tippet's seeming aversion to young, unproven players.
True. Although, Hensick does have four full years of college, over one hundred games of NHL experience, and has been a pro for three seasons, now. It's not like he's some green teenager like Boedker or Turris. Still, even Porter(seemingly the prototypical Tippett player) doesn't get a whole lot of rope, so I see your point. Then again, we're desperate for offense, so who knows?

Old
11-25-2009, 03:02 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Do we really want another pass first, borderline(at this stage in his career) top sixer right now?

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Then again, we're desperate for offense, so who knows?
Hensick doesn't seem to have much of a scoring touch. Granted you could say that about most of the Coyotes right now but still, I don't see him bringing much offense to the table.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:09 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Do we really want another pass first, borderline(at this stage in his career) top sixer right now?
For $4400 a day for a roster spot yeah, why not? Can always waive him if we don't like him and, if he clears, send him to SA where he'll make $62.5K. And his ELC is up at end of this year.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
If anything, that would scare the **** out of Pete. We bring in a new guy, with some slick skills, and sit Pete out why we let the kid audition for Pete's job. If that doesn't light a fire under your ass, you have no business being a professional athlete.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.

I still don't understand why Tippet hasn't scratched Mueller more than he has...if only to give someone else an opportunity and to see if Mueller continues to "pay attention to detail" and "do the little things" which I am sick and tired of hearing about and not seeing on the ice. ugh.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 04:41 PM
knowsthegame

Here are TJ Hensick's stats :

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-avalanche

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 04:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I know his stats. He was putting up like a point and a half a game in college, around a point per game in the AHL, and hasn't figured out the NHL yet. There is a reason he's on waivers. There is also a reason he tore amateur and minor pro the eff up. He's got talent, he hasn't been able do demonstrate it through his first one hundred NHL games. He's still relatively young.

We are talking about absolutely free, here. What do you want for free? Sometimes waiver fodder pays off. Bissonnette was a waiver claim, and he's been great. There have been a ton of great players that were on waivers before they were great. Is that in the cards for Hensick? Almost certainly not. Is there a very small chance? Sure. There is no risk, here, though. You can't lose. Worst case scenario is that he sucks in Phoenix, gets waived again, goes unclaimed, and ends up being San Antonio's leading scorer. What's wrong with that? That or he sucks, gets waived again, and gets claimed. We wash our hands of the whole thing. No harm, no foul.

Old
11-25-2009, 05:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I can appreciate that point. I just don't see a whole lot out there in terms of players making five to nine hundred kay a year. I doubt we'd be able to spend any more than that. It's worth a shot, is all I'm saying. If he was on a one-way contract, I'd never have suggested it. It's not as though San Antonio couldn't use a little help themselves. If Hensick busts out of Colorado, and then bounces out of Phoenix, I don't know if there's going to be a whole lot of interest in him during his second waiver wire go around. I'm sure the Rampage would be more than happy to have him, though.

Old
11-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

He double hockey sticks...yes, pick him up and put Korped-0 (o for nothing) on waivers.

I'm sure in 13 games Hensick at the very worst could put up 0 pts...like RT says, he's free. We're just replacing a 0pt performer who has shown nothing in the way of offensive skills for a kid that would undoubtedly put up at least a pt every 10 games.

Give the kid a shot.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
We are talking about absolutely free, here.
Hensick does nothing for me in terms of excitement but I have to agree that you can't argue against free. You never know what the change in scenery will do and since it's no risk I don't see a reason not to go after him. Plus this is the organization that thought Gratton + Vaananan > Morris + Ballard so maybe they're just being stupid.

Yes I'm aware this is coming from a fan of the organization that thought Gratton > Briere.

Old
11-25-2009, 05:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Hensick does nothing for me in terms of excitement...
You should've seen him in college. Just sayin'...just sayin'...

Old
11-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
You should've seen him in college. Just sayin'...just sayin'...
Hey if we were talking about the Arizona State Coyotes then yeah I'd be more excited but this isn't college.