HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

could oiler fans handle a full rebuild?

View Poll Results: Could you handle a full rebuild
Yes--blow her up good and rebuild 105 68.63%
No 23 15.03%
Maybe 4 2.61%
Too tough to decide right 6 3.92%
lose horcoff and either Souray or Lubor 6 3.92%
lets waits till the new year before we hit the self destruct botton 9 5.88%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-29-2009, 06:10 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
could oiler fans handle a full rebuild?

Simple question.

With Hemsky out and obvious holes elsewhere and the realization that the oilers were not a single player(heatly) away from being a contender and with the oilers dropping down the standings..

here is a simple question--Could oiler fans handle a full rebuild where players who are over age of the 30 are moved for prospects and picks and players who are high in value(penner) to get younger picks and prospects.

Oiler fans are their own worse enemy.

I have been in favour of a full rebuild since the moment Smyth got traded---but instead of a rebuild--oiler have over paid for guys like Horcoff.

I think the city of Edmonton and this board would suffer a nervous breakdown if Tambo did what teams like Chicago, Caps and Pens did---suck it for 4 years and get 4 top ten picks or so and then pick up the scrubs the oilers usually attrat

My question is simple

Could you stand by and watch a full rebuild for 3-4 years and finish bottom 5 during this time--hoping that the oilers will be able to draft the franchise player they have not been able to draft since Ryan Smyth almost 16 years ago? BTW a franchise player to me is someone who can either score 30+ goals a year or 100pts--not the 20goals and 75pts Hemsky gets(I like Hemsky--but because he is not a goals scorer he is not the go to guy)

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
surshot*

vCash: 500
For someone that complains about multiple threads of the same subject give it a rest already. There is like 50 threads already give it up.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:31 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
For someone that complains about multiple threads of the same subject give it a rest already. There is like 50 threads already give it up.

this is more about the psychie of the oiler fans.

this is not a question about whether or noth the oilers should rebuild

but you as fans--could you handle the 4 years it could take to rebuild?

Old
11-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

How about make some options that don't benefit your anti horcoff viewpoint?

You don't even have the logical option of trade Souray and UFA's.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:37 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I could easily suffer through 5 years. I've spent the last 18 years watching... what's 5 more?

However, I don't live in Edmonton, and don't have season tickets or anything like that. I would think the guy paying thousands and thousands of dollars to be entertained might have a different view than I do, and that view is perfectly justifiable.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:41 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
this is more about the psychie of the oiler fans.

this is not a question about whether or noth the oilers should rebuild

but you as fans--could you handle the 4 years it could take to rebuild?
The answer is no. We our in year 3 of a rebuild already by the way and since most posters on this board can not comprehend that who cares what they think. I could tell what this board thinks with out a stupid pole. We are a fed up fan base that's sick of losing we do not need your pole after BB already did one the other day. Go shove your rebuild up your candy ....

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:42 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I could easily suffer through 5 years. I've spent the last 18 years watching... what's 5 more?

However, I don't live in Edmonton, and don't have season tickets or anything like that. I would think the guy paying thousands and thousands of dollars to be entertained might have a different view than I do, and that view is perfectly justifiable.
Living in the UK I have the same problem

I remember being in Edmonton during the glory years and how the fans/media reacted to a two game losing streak--

Old
11-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Lummer20

No choice. We've reached rock bottom in a market in which few worth having want to play for a loser.

Blow 85% of it sky high--and sit Lowe right next to the powder keg.

Lummer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Wheatking

I can handle losing as long as we absolutely tank.

I don't want Sam Gagner...I want Patrick Kane.
I don't want Jordan Eberle...I want Steven Stamkos.
I don't want Magnus Paajarvi...I want John Tavares.

The most frustrating part about these last 3 years is that we've missed the playoffs and have only ended up with above average prospects. If we're going to miss a 4th year...can we at least get a franchise player this time?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
I think a more appropriate question would be "Can Oiler fans handle any more seasons of incompetent management?"

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post

The most frustrating part about these last 3 years is that we've missed the playoffs and have only ended up with above average prospects. If we're going to miss a 4th year...can we at least get a franchise player this time?
This. If we dont pick top three this year I will be disappointed. If we get one or two it will be all worth it.

Old
11-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

I went with maybe because this team does not need an entire team re-build as much as you guys say we suck. Yes we do suck but we have some really good pieces, pieces that some teams would die for who are actually in a re-build.

There is no need to go into a 5 year re-build here. Get rid of Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, Souray (if we can get a few good young players), etc....

Untouchables for me are:

Hemsky
Gagner
Cogliano
Penner
Brule
Visnovsky
Smid
Grebeshkov

Then let's not forget that we have MPS and Eberle in the system and if we really do have a terrible season we'll end up with one of Hall, Seguin or Fowler (hopefully).

This team already has a good core. Like I said we don't need a long re-build because the young talent is already here. We just need to get rid of the old vets who's time has passed in this organization.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:

Very excellent point here. I would agree...

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post

This is a good question and one that gets wrongly dismissed as elitist in this type of discussion.
Their view should be primary because without the paying fan this team doesn't exist for the rest of us.

As for a rebuild...I would be all for it if I thought for one minute that this current management team could do it right.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:

This post is so spot on, it bears repeating.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Simple question.

With Hemsky out and obvious holes elsewhere and the realization that the oilers were not a single player(heatly) away from being a contender and with the oilers dropping down the standings..

here is a simple question--Could oiler fans handle a full rebuild where players who are over age of the 30 are moved for prospects and picks and players who are high in value(penner) to get younger picks and prospects.

Oiler fans are their own worse enemy.

I have been in favour of a full rebuild since the moment Smyth got traded---but instead of a rebuild--oiler have over paid for guys like Horcoff.

I think the city of Edmonton and this board would suffer a nervous breakdown if Tambo did what teams like Chicago, Caps and Pens did---suck it for 4 years and get 4 top ten picks or so and then pick up the scrubs the oilers usually attrat

My question is simple

Could you stand by and watch a full rebuild for 3-4 years and finish bottom 5 during this time--hoping that the oilers will be able to draft the franchise player they have not been able to draft since Ryan Smyth almost 16 years ago? BTW a franchise player to me is someone who can either score 30+ goals a year or 100pts--not the 20goals and 75pts Hemsky gets(I like Hemsky--but because he is not a goals scorer he is not the go to guy)
I object to the Hawks being put in with those 2

We sucked for a decade,,,,,,,,, We didn't tank for Toews and Kane we were just awful in every respect of hockey because of our owner

I mean at one time Tyler Arnason , Mark Bell and Kyle Calder were our future on forward with Steve McCarthy and Michal Barinka as our dmen of future and Leighton as our goalie of future,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, That's not a team tanking that is a team run by idiots

As for your thread

For every Pittsburgh there is a team like Atlanta that has sucked for long time but really only ever got Kovalchuk and Heatley. Aside from that they didn't get much for there sucking

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
For every Pittsburgh there is a team like Atlanta that has sucked for long time but really only ever got Kovalchuk and Heatley. Aside from that they didn't get much for there sucking
Bogosian, Little and Kane aren't looking too bad either.

I think they got a pretty good core of young talent there.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I can and I have been pushing for it, I can't speak for anyone else. However my motto is that you're either contending or building towards contending, the in-between sucks.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

I think that everyone on this forum is mesmerized by the 'franchise player' myth. Franchise players come along perhaps once every 2-5 years and are never garanteed. Some of them are picked late, some of them are picked 2nd, some 8th, some 15th..... etc.

Having a no depth team with a guy like Johnny T, Stamkos is not going to get you anywhere. Look at CLB and jesus... Rick Nash... franchise player... yes maybe. He's been on the team for 8 years and they have not done anything. They do not show signs of being able to dominate the tight Western Conference either. San Jose was built around a free agent acquisition. Kipper and Iginla were both traded for, and Phaneuf was drafted 8th.

What are you expecting? A year or two of top 3 picks = garanteed competitor? Not a chance.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
I think that everyone on this forum is mesmerized by the 'franchise player' myth. Franchise players come along perhaps once every 2-5 years and are never garanteed. Some of them are picked late, some of them are picked 2nd, some 8th, some 15th..... etc.

Having a no depth team with a guy like Johnny T, Stamkos is not going to get you anywhere. Look at CLB and jesus... Rick Nash... franchise player... yes maybe. He's been on the team for 8 years and they have not done anything. They do not show signs of being able to dominate the tight Western Conference either. San Jose was built around a free agent acquisition. Kipper and Iginla were both traded for, and Phaneuf was drafted 8th.

What are you expecting? A year or two of top 3 picks = garanteed competitor? Not a chance.
Look at the last three years top three picks. Are they helping their teams? Nine out of ten are big parts of their teams success. Hardly a myth at all. Out of the teams that picked in the top three the last three years, all but two are in a playoff position as of right now. The two that arent (Philly and Islanders) are one point back in the east. Maybe you see another way? Keep in mind that we have trouble attracting ufa's and trading for good players that have nmc or ntc's.

Old
11-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I want a rebuild now, but Edmonton couldn't handle it.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Tree444

Edmonton can't handle more years of mediocrity and failed promises. If they can call for rebuild in toronto, they can certainly do it here.

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:17 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

I could.

I don't think the typical 40 something "git er' dunn" fans could.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:22 PM
TheGudge

What I can't handle is having a top 5 payroll and sitting in the bottom 5. Regardless of injuries, we are not as good as we should be. Clear out the dead weight; buy-outs, minors, waivers, and trades. The playoffs are not in the equation, it's time for honest evaluation and a new five year plan.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGudge View Post
What I can't handle is having a top 5 payroll and sitting in the bottom 5. Regardless of injuries, we are not as good as we should be. Clear out the dead weight; buy-outs, minors, waivers, and trades. The playoffs are not in the equation, it's time for honest evaluation and a new five year plan.
The reason the team is close to the cap is injuries. When a player is injured, a replacement is called up and both now count against the cap. The Oilers have 9 players injured and 31 players are up here with the big club. Do the math.