HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

could oiler fans handle a full rebuild?

View Poll Results: Could you handle a full rebuild
Yes--blow her up good and rebuild 105 68.63%
No 23 15.03%
Maybe 4 2.61%
Too tough to decide right 6 3.92%
lose horcoff and either Souray or Lubor 6 3.92%
lets waits till the new year before we hit the self destruct botton 9 5.88%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-29-2009, 12:58 PM
One Trick Pony*

vCash: 500
I'd tank for elite prospects this year and next, and then start competing fully in 2011-2012.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
I'd tank for elite prospects this year and next, and then start competing fully in 2011-2012.
In 2011-12 we could have a 21 year old Eberle in the line up, a 20 year old Paajarvi and 19 year old Seguin/Hall*knock on wood* all on entry level contracts plus Penner and Hemsky hopefully over achieving in contract years.

I could handle that

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Tree444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
The reason the team is close to the cap is injuries. When a player is injured, a replacement is called up and both now count against the cap. The Oilers have 9 players injured and 31 players are up here with the big club. Do the math.
Even with the health roster we're not a lock to make the playoffs, and when you have that kind of payroll shouldn't the playoffs be a given? I think that's the point he was trying to make.

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
In 2011-12 we could have a 21 year old Eberle in the line up, a 20 year old Paajarvi and 19 year old Seguin/Hall*knock on wood* all on entry level contracts plus Penner and Hemsky hopefully over achieving in contract years.
I could handle that
Then that season we will make it to the Western Conference Finals, lose...and Hemsky and Penner will both leave to free agency because they'll both want more than 6 million a season which we cannot give them....

Sound about right?

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Then that season we will make it to the Western Conference Finals, lose...and Hemsky and Penner will both leave to free agency because they'll both want more than 6 million a season which we cannot give them....

Sound about right?
That's exactly what will happen. You make it sound so negative. One of the two is pretty much guaranteed to be gone in the summer of 2012. They'll be pushing 30 and will be looking for long term deals anyways. Let some other team lock them up at a 6M cap hit until they're 37 years old...stock up on young talent now and spread that 12M that would spent on Hemsky and Penner around on the new young talent.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
The answer is no. We our in year 3 of a rebuild already by the way and since most posters on this board can not comprehend that who cares what they think. I could tell what this board thinks with out a stupid pole. We are a fed up fan base that's sick of losing we do not need your pole after BB already did one the other day. Go shove your rebuild up your candy ....

Time for you to leave, isn't it?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i was hoping the oilers tank last year to get their legit sniper, they should tank this year and next

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Stoneman89

To answer the question, sure, if management shows that's where we're headed. We've been in a half assed rebuild mode for the last 3 years, so I think it's time to go full bore. We may get our ***** kicked, but if I see some light at the end of the tunnel with some top end talent developing, I'm okay with it. The problem is we take one step forward with a rebuild, and then have Souray, Khabi, or Vis signing/trade.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
That's exactly what will happen. You make it sound so negative. One of the two is pretty much guaranteed to be gone in the summer of 2012. They'll be pushing 30 and will be looking for long term deals anyways. Let some other team lock them up at a 6M cap hit until they're 37 years old...stock up on young talent now and spread that 12M that would spent on Hemsky and Penner around on the new young talent.
I'll take Hemsky over Penner everytime...

Old
11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
I'll take Hemsky over Penner everytime...
I don't know why you said that, seeing as how he never posed the question of one over the other.

Also, thanks for letting us know the guy with the Hemsky avatar would take Hemsky over Penner.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Canucker86

In order to tank, you guys really need to give up on every single one of your "big" name players like Souray, Hemsky, and Penner. With them, you will go the way of the Leafs...at least in the most recent years. Playing bad enough to miss the playoffs, but good enough to not get the lottery pick. There is a proper way to tank. Look at the blackhawks. They royally sucked for 5 years. The oilers have shown they can compete when healthy and not dog tired on the 2nd half of a back-to-back. But a tanking team shouldn't be even close to beating the Sharks. This is a team that still has the right pieces. Deal them all for 1st rounders...heck, deal them for the Leafs 1st rounders in whatever draft years they have available!!!

Canucker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
I don't know why you said that, seeing as how he never posed the question of one over the other.

Also, thanks for letting us know the guy with the Hemsky avatar would take Hemsky over Penner.
Re-read what he says...."one of the two is probably gone" something along those lines. I'd let Penner go.

Because I have Hemsky as my avatar my opinion means nothing? The reason why I have Hemsky as my pic is because he's our best player and obviously my favorite.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Jarret Stoll

I urge every Oilers fan to do this the next time the kids come play at Rexall!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncLmyXDtrU

Jarret Stoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
The answer is no. We our in year 3 of a rebuild already by the way and since most posters on this board can not comprehend that who cares what they think. I could tell what this board thinks with out a stupid pole. We are a fed up fan base that's sick of losing we do not need your pole after BB already did one the other day. Go shove your rebuild up your candy ....
This post is so spot on, it bears repeating.

I don't see why this statement is objectionable in this thread? I look at Chicogo and they're a lot deeper than Kane and Toews. In fact those two are very overrated when examining the talent on that team, and they don't have a Crosby or Ovechkin type on their club either. If the Oil can get a lottery pick, move a UfA or two at the deadline, and move one big ticket item before the season ends, they will be headed in the right direction, in fact that seems just about perfect to me.

We have some good up and coming talent on the team all ready and even more in the pipeline; talent breeds success. A full rebuild in the middle of a rebuild doesn't even make sense. I think this is what surshot is trying to say, his thoughts summed up without the seething I would guess. I would also speculate this thread was created in part just to see if it could coax a few 'surshot type responses;' as he has stated there're multiple similar threads and an identical poll done just the other day.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarret Stoll View Post
I urge every Oilers fan to do this the next time the kids come play at Rexall!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncLmyXDtrU
lol. I never heard that before.

Old
11-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Moreaupheus
Tracing the dream

Why is the thread title and poll question different?? probly cause there is two answers: (1)-The average band wagon Oil fan that was planning their Stanley cup parade route 6 games into this season cannot handle the rebuild concept.(2)-The other intelligent fans (ie HF board posters) will support the rebuild. It's too bad Oiler management will likely shoot for the playoffs and we finish out of the playoffs, and out of draft lottery contention.

Last edited by Moreaupheus: 11-29-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: ESL
Moreaupheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:37 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Here is the thing

I see people posting list of untouchables well here is the thing

My question clearly states full rebuild and if you post an untouchable list then you aree not willing to stand. By for a full rebuild

Looking at some lists I think some people fail to understand what a full rebuild is

All players making four million plus a year are fair game to trade and players over 27are also fair game for trades

I believe the oilers need to build.a new foundation and to build a new foundation no one on the current nhl roster is safe

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
I went with maybe because this team does not need an entire team re-build as much as you guys say we suck. Yes we do suck but we have some really good pieces, pieces that some teams would die for who are actually in a re-build.

There is no need to go into a 5 year re-build here. Get rid of Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, Souray (if we can get a few good young players), etc....

Untouchables for me are:

Hemsky
Gagner
Cogliano
Penner
Brule
Visnovsky
Smid
Grebeshkov

Then let's not forget that we have MPS and Eberle in the system and if we really do have a terrible season we'll end up with one of Hall, Seguin or Fowler (hopefully).

This team already has a good core. Like I said we don't need a long re-build because the young talent is already here. We just need to get rid of the old vets who's time has passed in this organization.
young talent? are you serious? one of the reasons we suck is because our young players blow..if there are any untouchables they are gagner, smid, and brule...i'm willing to give gagner a couple more years to prove himself..oh yeah, and good luck trying to get rid of horcoff..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
jfhlbuffy

I could handle a rebuild, but again, I don't have season tickets.

Also, while yes, Tavares is obviously better than MPS, I think he was a lot better than the 10th best player in the draft. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised to see him go 4th or 5th. After JT, Hedman and Duchene, I thought MPS, Schenn, Kane and Cowen could pretty much all go anywhere from 4 to 7. Somehow one of them fell to us.

And while obviously Eberle isn't Stamkos, he's doing a lot better than a 20something overall draft pick would be expected.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
oilerfanatic

i think all smart fans would be down with a rebuild.

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
I voted no. Edmonton fans couldn't handle a rebuild. We're seeing it now how the team gets criticized after every loss. Could you imagine the bashfest if they went the rebuild.

I've mentioned it before but EIG ruined Lowe as a GM. They threatened to fire him in 2007 when he wanted to rebuild. Hence the OS and the signing of Souray.

11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
I've mentioned it before but EIG ruined Lowe as a GM. They threatened to fire him in 2007 when he wanted to rebuild. Hence the OS and the signing of Souray.
Link or source where you came into this information?

Honestly, what other choice do we have but to rebuild? Its not like the path we're taking right now is getting us anywhere.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Link or source where you came into this information?

Honestly, what other choice do we have but to rebuild? Its not like the path we're taking right now is getting us anywhere.
The link doesn't exist anymore. I can't remember where I read. But think about it. Ever since Lowe tendered the OS and signed Souray, Lowe has been criticized for every move. IF EIG hadn't sold the team to Katz, Lowe would have resigned.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
The link doesn't exist anymore. I can't remember where I read. But think about it. Ever since Lowe tendered the OS and signed Souray, Lowe has been criticized for every move. IF EIG hadn't sold the team to Katz, Lowe would have resigned.
Is there ever a scenario where the person involved has no one to blame but himself?
Its just curious to me that virtually every post from you involves a scenario where the team or someone specific is a victim of something. There is rarely any accountability.
Why is that?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 07:37 PM
theranfordflop

Oiler fans can't even handle a losing month without whining and crying, let alone multiple seasons of last place finishes.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote