HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

could oiler fans handle a full rebuild?

View Poll Results: Could you handle a full rebuild
Yes--blow her up good and rebuild 105 68.63%
No 23 15.03%
Maybe 4 2.61%
Too tough to decide right 6 3.92%
lose horcoff and either Souray or Lubor 6 3.92%
lets waits till the new year before we hit the self destruct botton 9 5.88%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-29-2009, 07:57 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
I think it's more a case of whether Tambo can pull it off.

In order to do it properly, he'd have to move Horc, Souray, Vish, Moreau and Pisani. Maybe Khabi?

Those are all big contracts that we cannot have if we want to rebuild. I highly doubt all of those contracts could be traded in one season. Or even two.

I'm all for an overhaul, and I believe Oilers fans would still support the team. I just don't know if a proper rebuild is possible in the current NHL.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Oiler fans can't even handle a losing month without whining and crying, let alone multiple seasons of last place finishes.
Some people can't even handle one loss without being critical of the Oilers, never mind a month or years.

11-29-2009, 08:47 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Some people can't even handle one loss without being critical of the Oilers, never mind a month or years.
If a rebuild does occur, for the sake of all posters here, this site should be shut down until we reach .500 again.

Old
11-29-2009, 08:55 PM
OilerzFRLife

i think that year where the fans have finally been fed up enough to accept failure has come. any pick in top 3 i would be happy with because i think fowler will go top 2 so seguin or hall would be available. islanders would prob want fowler....

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

And what if it doesn't work?

And I don't think it will.

I don't want to be the Caps, Pens or Hawks.

I want to be the Wings or Avs. A shot at the big one almost every single year.

Re-load. BUT ACTUALLY re-load. None of this 9th-best-player-we-coulda-got-and-no-depth-cuz-we-wanna-try-out-our-young'ns crap.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 11-29-2009 at 09:13 PM.
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

A re-build? Isn't that something that should have started three seasons ago? I don't have the patience for it now.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Judging from the poll most oiler fans think it's time. I would tend to agree. I'm not watching a lot of the games right now because it just seems like the oilers are allergic to losing but with that said I hate the team I like the young players. Jacques, Potulney, Brule, even Stone looking really promising. Theres also some promise in Sam Gagner, Grebs, Smid and some of the young prospects. We got a future. We just need a top 5 pick. We're close this team just needs to build up that immunity to losing so to speak. Quinn is a guy who's won before. Keep yelling at them and they'll get it.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
A re-build? Isn't that something that should have started three seasons ago? I don't have the patience for it now.
We're losing right now anyways...why not make it worth while?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
We're losing right now anyways...why not make it worth while?
Well, that looks like it's going to happen but management is still tight lipped about their plan (or lack there of) moving forward. As a fan, I don't appreciate that approach. Be straight up with me.

Sometimes it feels like this team takes the fans for granted.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 11-29-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Lowe wanted to rebuild in 2007 but EIG wouldn't let him. How else do you explain the Souray signing on July 12. Lowe had no plans on signing Souray as he wanted to rebuild. Since then Lowe struggled in being a GM and eventually hired Tambellini as GM. EIG ruined Lowe as GM and Burke had a part in that as well with his constant Lowe bashing on national TV.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:19 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Lowe wanted to rebuild in 2007 but EIG wouldn't let him. How else do you explain the Souray signing on July 12. Lowe had no plans on signing Souray as he wanted to rebuild. Since then Lowe struggled in being a GM and eventually hired Tambellini as GM. EIG ruined Lowe as GM and Burke had a part in that as well with his constant Lowe bashing on national TV.
The EIG haven't been owners of this team for two years now.

Funny how Lowe and Tambellini have been as complacent as ever, eh?

Steve Tambellini has done jack **** to try and improve this hockey club. The deadline trade last season for O'Sullivan, was once again a blind decision influenced by the Oilers' mentality of having satisfaction just by squeaking into the playoffs.

Cole was a heart and soul Oiler, and probably the only player I didn't want to strangle through the course of last season. I have no idea why a player of that caliber was dealt for another smurf who's too scared to get his nose dirty in the corners.

Last edited by One Trick Pony*: 11-29-2009 at 10:24 PM.
One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post

Steve Tambellini has done jack **** to try and improve this hockey club. The deadline trade last season for O'Sullivan, was once again a blind decision influenced by the Oilers' mentality of having satisfaction just by squeaking into the playoffs.

Cole was a heart and soul Oiler, and probably the only player I didn't want to strangle through the course of last season. I have no idea why a player of that caliber was dealt for another smurf who's too scared to get his nose dirty in the corners.
Lowe wanted to do the rebuild in 2007 when EIG was still the owner of the Oilers. Daryl Katz was given approval by the National Hockey League to buy the Oilers on June 18, 2008. Katz officially became owner on July 2, 2008. When Lowe wanted to do the rebuild, it was 2007 and EIG was still owner at the time. EIG ruined Lowe's career as a GM in the summer of 2007.

Katz has only been owner of the Oilers for one year and four months.

Last edited by Narnia: 11-29-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old
11-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Lowe wanted to do the rebuild in 2007 when EIG was still the owner of the Oilers. Daryl Katz was given approval by the National Hockey League to buy the Oilers on June 18, 2008. Katz officially became owner on July 2, 2008. When Lowe wanted to do the rebuild, it was 2007 and EIG was still owner at the time. EIG ruined Lowe's career as a GM in the summer of 2007.
Thats all well and good but the pitkanen trade was still pretty awful. So was the pronger trade.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 11:39 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post

Cole wouldn't have re-signed here, so the fact that we got someone of Sully's talent (albeit he hasn't shown much of it since coming here) makes it a great trade.

Tambo can only do so much with the team that he inherited pushed right up against the cap.

Old
11-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post

Cole wouldn't have re-signed here, so the fact that we got someone of Sully's talent (albeit he hasn't shown much of it since coming here) makes it a great trade.

Tambo can only do so much with the team that he inherited pushed right up against the cap.
You just described the ongoing problem with Oiler management (including Tambellini now)...

If we let Cole walk away over the summer - we would not be stuck with O'Sullivan's albatross contract this year & next year...

We would have flexibility... Instead we are attempting to dump expensive contracts when no other team wants them.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Street Hawk

realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I can handle losing as long as we absolutely tank.

I don't want Sam Gagner...I want Patrick Kane.
I don't want Jordan Eberle...I want Steven Stamkos.
I don't want Magnus Paajarvi...I want John Tavares.

The most frustrating part about these last 3 years is that we've missed the playoffs and have only ended up with above average prospects. If we're going to miss a 4th year...can we at least get a franchise player this time?
Kane, you almost had him. 1 point difference between the Hawks and Oilers that year.

Stamkos and Tavares, the Oilers were never that close to being as bad as the Lightning or Islanders. That said, Doughty/Bogosian at 2/3 would have been great to add as well. Same with Hedman/Duchense at 2/3.

So, better to go big and suck and reload for next season.

I expect some changes to be made to the franchise, just a matter of how much they can reasonably unload given the term and amount of the contracts that they have.

Horcoff, can't unload 5.5 million for the next 4 years given his shoddy performance.

Souray, defensively not strong enough for another team to take him for the next 2 years.

Vishnovsky, however, is better in his own zone and could return a fair package.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Kane, you almost had him. 1 point difference between the Hawks and Oilers that year.

Stamkos and Tavares, the Oilers were never that close to being as bad as the Lightning or Islanders. That said, Doughty/Bogosian at 2/3 would have been great to add as well. Same with Hedman/Duchense at 2/3.

So, better to go big and suck and reload for next season.

I expect some changes to be made to the franchise, just a matter of how much they can reasonably unload given the term and amount of the contracts that they have.

Horcoff, can't unload 5.5 million for the next 4 years given his shoddy performance.

Souray, defensively not strong enough for another team to take him for the next 2 years.

Vishnovsky, however, is better in his own zone and could return a fair package.
I'd trade Souray way before Vishnovsky. Lubo is a keeper.I wouldn't even consider trade Vishnovsky. Souray can go IMO.

Old
11-30-2009, 01:27 AM
nye

Nope, because the average fan here abouts has the patience of a fruit fly.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
Nope, because the average fan here abouts has the patience of a fruit fly.
Like these.

Old
11-30-2009, 02:05 AM
JohnAlexander

It's quite the difference that a few months and 27 games can make

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=644199

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:11 AM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post

JESUS.

27 games never tell an entire story but with the way things have gone so far its an exception.

Old
11-30-2009, 02:11 AM
supaman

Being on the oilers board lately gives me a headache. Nothing but crying. Blaming Tambo for the team not being good. What, besides a miracle, would you like him to do. Pisani, Moreau, Horcoff, Gilbert, Hemsky, all bloated contracts. Gagner and Cogliano aren't producing. The oilers are just decimated by injuries this year. But somehow its Tambos fault. We don't need a complete rebuild. We need to get rid of the dead weight. We need to keep the players who actually have heart. The players who actually care. Not that we have a whole lot of those. I think we need to keep Souray. He does have heart and does love this team and care. Horcoff on the other hand gave up on this team a long time ago. Just look at after Smyth was traded. He ended up getting benched for his poor attitude. Cogliano should go. He is a nice guy but just doesn't have it. Lubo should stay. Gagner i'm on the fence with. O'sulli I could care less about. Pisani, I feel bad for him. Staios is like flipping a coin. Sometimes he has heart and other times he couldn't be bothered. Gilbert is terrible this year. Plus he has a stupid contract. Moreau I wish would just retire. Not at the end of the year. Right now. Smid and Grebs need to tighten their defensive games. I'm happy with Khabi. Not happy with the D at all. Actually, Smid can go too. Penner is doing good this year and I would keep him. He seems to have a new life in him. Which is nice to see on this oilers team. I'll leave it at that for now.

supaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:13 AM
JohnAlexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaman View Post
Being on the oilers board lately gives me a headache. Nothing but crying. Blaming Tambo for the team not being good. What, besides a miracle, would you like him to do. Pisani, Moreau, Horcoff, Gilbert, Hemsky, all bloated contracts. Gagner and Cogliano aren't producing. The oilers are just decimated by injuries this year. But somehow its Tambos fault. We don't need a complete rebuild. We need to get rid of the dead weight. We need to keep the players who actually have heart. The players who actually care. Not that we have a whole lot of those. I think we need to keep Souray. He does have heart and does love this team and care. Horcoff on the other hand gave up on this team a long time ago. Just look at after Smyth was traded. He ended up getting benched for his poor attitude. Cogliano should go. He is a nice guy but just doesn't have it. Lubo should stay. Gagner i'm on the fence with. O'sulli I could care less about. Pisani, I feel bad for him. Staios is like flipping a coin. Sometimes he has heart and other times he couldn't be bothered. Gilbert is terrible this year. Plus he has a stupid contract. Moreau I wish would just retire. Not at the end of the year. Right now. Smid and Grebs need to tighten their defensive games. I'm happy with Khabi. Not happy with the D at all. Actually, Smid can go too. Penner is doing good this year and I would keep him. He seems to have a new life in him. Which is nice to see on this oilers team. I'll leave it at that for now.
Right now I'd trade Horcoff for a return key... ...

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:17 AM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post

some of the comments are pretty dam funny.

Old
11-30-2009, 02:19 AM
OilerzFRLife

i think gagner and cogliano coming into this year BOTH were held pretty dam high on HF and im not sure gagner is going to be what we thought he would. he was really the first big time rookie the oilers had had in a while so there were big expectations but i hope he can produce 60 pts consistently year to year and anything above that would be a bonus.