HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

11/29/09 Who is going to win the Grey Cup?

View Poll Results: Who's going to win the Grey Cup
Montreal 25 51.02%
Saskatchewan 11 22.45%
I don't care, it's not hockey 13 26.53%
It's too close for me to call 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Big Dogge*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post
You are aware that the NHL had SIX teams for a 25 year stretch, no?
They'll conveniently forget that for obvious reasons.

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Big Dogge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post

I can never understand why people feel they must come in and bash the CFL when someone mentions it.
Insecurity that Edmonton has another professional sports team that averages 40,000 fans per home game perhaps.

Old
11-30-2009, 01:50 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
You are aware that the NHL had SIX teams for a 25 year stretch, no?
Context matters here - the population of north america has multiplied exponentially since then, and at the time of the original 6 there wasn't a better and more competitive hockey league, with 5x the teams, located on the same continent.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Context matters here - the population of north america has multiplied exponentially since then, and at the time of the original 6 there wasn't a better and more competitive hockey league, with 5x the teams, located on the same continent.
So then just to make sure we are straight. The CFL sucks because it only has 8 teams?

edit: So then it isn't interesting because it has 8 teams? You would be far more happy if they had 20 teams and a dilution of talent(if the talent isn't already diluted).

Last edited by Reimer: 11-30-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
BlueBelle

I love the CFL because the season doesn't conflict much with the NHL season.. mind you I could totally go for some Eskimos games right about now, I mean they walk away with two points at the end a game now and then!

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:13 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
So when Canada's hockey team plays in the olympics, I guess it must be a joke too because there are only about 8 teams.
No offense but that's a poor comparison. Olympics = the world's absolute best hockey players competing for national pride and the title of the world's #1 hockey country.

Imagine if the American Hockey League had 8 teams - I'd find it hard to be interested in AHL hockey when you've got the NHL with it's 30 teams of the best hockey players. And I've not once said that the CFL sucks here, don't know where that came from. I just don't find it particularly interesting.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
This.

The CFL is a joke of a league. It's a nice passtime, but in terms of a competitive, professional franchise, it's a laugh.
Canadians that bash Canadian things make no sense.

Why can't we actually enjoy Canadian products? Why should we just say "everything in the US is better, Canada sucks"? It is a pretty pathetic inferiority complex.

If a person believes that Canadian TV sucks, Canadian football sucks, Canadian magazines suck, Canadian politics sucks etc...why live here?

We need to celebrate great Canadian institutions like the CFL. It is different from the NFL intentionally. It gives Canadians teams to support in cities they live in with actual CANADIANS playing in the league. The rules are distinctly Canadian the league isn't just a TV show with irrelevant teams from irrelevant cities competing hundreds of miles away. Saying the league sucks because there are only 8 teams is the same as saying Canada sucks because the population is only 32 million. Our population can only support 8 teams because we don't have 30 cities of 1 million +. Heck, we don't even have 8 cities of 1 million +.

I live in Canada so I much prefer the Canadian Football League to the NFL. If I lived in the US, I would prefer the NFL. The teams that play where you live have much more relevance than those in another country. We should celebrate the CFL for what is is, not bash it for what it is not. The same applies for anything Canadian. Canada would be a much poorer country without the CFL.

It really puzzles me why Canadians have to bash Canada and Canadian things. Is it so they can feel better about themselves for watching the great hype machine?

The NFL is the ShamWow of sports. Incredible hype but, when you actually try it, it isn't nearly as good as Vince says it is.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 11-30-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Big Dogge*

Quote:
The NFL is the ShamWow of sports. Incredible hype but, when you actually try it, it isn't nearly as good as Vince says it is.
Wrong.

Old
11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dogge View Post
Wrong.
Gregor?!?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Big Dogge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Gregor?!?

Close. Bob Stauffer.

The NFL has always been tagged as boring by the people up here in Canada because it's low scoring and a 70-30 run pass game. In the past few years it has now become a pretty high scoring league, higher than the CFL in fact and is now pretty much a 50-50 run pass game.

On top of the higher end skill level that dominates almost each and every game down south the games are a lot more entertaining this year in comparison to a lot of the CFL tilts. Though, when you have a team like Toronto or Winnipeg doing what they do that goes without saying.

Both leagues are great. Love their uniqueness and will always cheer for a hometown team.

Think it is merely unnecessary to attack one or the other.

Old
12-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Canadians that bash Canadian things make no sense.

Why can't we actually enjoy Canadian products? Why should we just say "everything in the US is better, Canada sucks"? It is a pretty pathetic inferiority complex.

If a person believes that Canadian TV sucks, Canadian football sucks, Canadian magazines suck, Canadian politics sucks etc...why live here?
Because almost everything that we do is second rate compared to what the USA produces? (which isn't really our fault since the USA's population is 9 times the population of Canada, naturally there will be more talented Americans)

And Canadian TV and it's Mainstream Music is terrible. Are you telling me that I have to like Nickleback and Royal Canadian Air Farce just because it is Canadian?

When we do something that is good (Rush, Corner Gas, HNIC, Tragically Hip ect.) I will appreciate it. But I just won't blindly love something just because it is Canadian.

Muscles Glasses is online now   Reply With Quote