HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So who's playing themselves into a trade

Old
12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And how can you continue to dismiss what numerous people have made abundtantly clear to you?

HE'S PLAYING WITH GRINDERS. NONE OF THESE PLAYERS CAN CREATE PLAYS FOR THEMSELVES OR OTHERS.

Clearly, if he was playing with a playmaker, he'd be scoring more. The same can be said for Drury, Higgins, and numerous others.

And you won't find a bigger Callahan fan than me, and yet I've never said anything but the fact that on a cup contender, he is a third-liner. A great third-liner, and without a doubt, a guy I would want on my team, which is more than I can say for some of his equally unskilled teammates.

It's not his fault that Sather is a ****ing dunce who not only put more pressure on this guy, but, as he did with countless other players, put him in a position to fail by not getting him the players he needs to be successful.
You can't have it both ways.

If Callahan were as good as board members claim, he wouldn't need to be playing with playmakers and scorers to get his point production, he would be doing it him self.

He gets 19:20 ATOI. And he hasn't produced squat.

Also, you are wrong that he hasn't played with our team's top players. He is also on the top PP unit. And still hasn't produced. He gets a ton of ice time with Gaborik, Prospal, and Del Zotto in man advantage situations and still hasn't produced.

He is a third line player, and should be getting third line minutes. That means 10-12 minutes. A lot of it on the PK.

He should be nowhere near the PP. And he should have his 5v5 time cut.

Also, Anisimov had been playing with the likes of Voros, Brashear, Parenteau, Boyle... and he has nearly HALF the ATOI that Callahan does, and gets no PP time, and he has more goals and more points. So there are players on this roster that can produce with anyone, in any situation. Callahan isn't one of them.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
You can't have it both ways.

If Callahan were as good as board members claim, he wouldn't need to be playing with playmakers and scorers to get his point production, he would be doing it him self.
"As good as board members claim"

Which board members? I'm pretty sure that I fall into the category of STAUNCH Callahan supporters, and yet I've never claimed that he could produce offense on his own.

I don't think you are cognizant of the number of players in this league that are truly capable of succeeding on offense on their own, because the number is quite small. Good teams have several players like that. We don't. That's why we aren't a good team.

Quote:
He gets 19:20 ATOI. And he hasn't produced squat.
He could play 59:48 seconds every game, and he wouldn't produce if all that time was spent with the players he's played with.

Quote:
Also, you are wrong that he hasn't played with our team's top players. He is also on the top PP unit. And still hasn't produced. He gets a ton of ice time with Gaborik, Prospal, and Del Zotto in man advantage situations and still hasn't produced.
Callahan isn't on the Power Play to score goals. He's clearly the least talented and least skilled player on the unit whenever he is out there. Prospal and Del Zotto aren't looking for him on the Power Play. He's there to be a nuisance in front and to help dig the puck out of corners. You can say he hasn't done a very good job at that if you want, but I'd argue that it's ****ing pathetic that this team's best option to plant in front of the goalie on a PP is a guy that is as tall as I am. Not his fault that, once again, the team has placed him in less-than-ideal situation in which he is destined to fail.

Quote:
He is a third line player, and should be getting third line minutes. That means 10-12 minutes. A lot of it on the PK.
He is a third line player that would get third line minutes if he was playing on a well-constructed team. He would be playing on the third line and getting third line minutes if this team had a better option to switch him with. It doesn't. Just like the team didn't have a better option for the FIRST line last season. Except on the first line, he was playing with a playmaker.

Quote:
He should be nowhere near the PP. And he should have his 5v5 time cut.
If this team had been assembled properly, he wouldn't be.

Quote:
Also, Anisimov had been playing with the likes of Voros, Brashear, Parenteau, Boyle... and he has nearly HALF the ATOI that Callahan does, and gets no PP time, and he has more goals and more points. So there are players on this roster that can produce with anyone, in any situation. Callahan isn't one of them.
So the guy who is arguably our top prospect and is 6'4" is outperforming the scrappy, under-6' grinder who was a 5th round pick? I don't see the problem.

Now please name someone else who has managed to produce with anyone in any situation. There is only one player that I can think of. Gaborik. That's it. The only other players on the team that have actually produced something, Gaborik and Anisimov aside, owe most of their production to him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Really?

Sorry, not in the top six he won't be.

You people are so blinded, it's amazing.

Hard worker does not mean good player.

Callahan is NOT as good as you people make him out to be. Plain and simple.

You would think this kid is the second coming of Maurice Richard the way you hype this kid.

Callahan is NOT a top six player, and NO TEAM with Ryan Callahan getting 20 minutes per game, will contend for the Cup.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

If he were as good as you paint him to be, he wouldn't need a passer like Gomez to produce. He would be scoring on all those shots on goal he takes... except, those shots are garbage shots on goal. Weak perimeter shots, because he lacks the size and skill to to get around a defender, and all those shots are into the goaltender's chest.

Top six players produce. Callahan does not, therefore he is NOT a top six player.

THIRD LINE AND FOURTH LINE PLAYERS skate hard and don't produce. That's what Callahan is.

19:29 ATOI, -6, 2 even strength points.

On pace for HALF of last season' production, with considerably more ice time on the PP and even strength.

You can NOT dismiss production.
Have you watched the red wings the past two years, or the past decade at that? Their success has just as much to do with having players VERY similar to callahan in their bottom 9 as it does having guys like Zetteberg and Datsyuk in the top 6.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
drury isnt overrated. hes overpaid. chris higgins has been our 3rd best forward for the past 3 weeks or so. everybody would prefer cally on his 2m salary to drury and rozy on their salaries.
omg. im gonna freak.

please for the love of god look look look at his stats. look at his numbers. look at what hes done in those 3 weeks.

he had 2 good games on the west coast trip and thats it. please stop with the higgins best player stuff already.

look>>>>>>>>>>>> since the 11/3 vancouver game his numbers are 2/3 5 -9

thats 12 games. 5 points. minus freekin 9

he was a plus player in one game in those 12. one game.

this chris higgins best player stuff is based upon what ?

hard work.
snake bit.
tries hard.
unlucky.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

After tonight I couldn't even begin to say... The little drama with Vally going to Hartford appears to have given the team a bump but they were so clearly dominated tonight in Chicago....

If I'm Jim Dolan and I watched tonights game I have some serious questions for my GM....

No one played particularly bad, but this roster is Gabby Henrik and a mass of mediocrity.

Why are we so slow?

No one is really safe.....tonight....except Gabby

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:23 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
If I'm Jim Dolan and I watched tonights game I have some serious questions for my GM....
Theres your first mistake. Dolan doesnt watch the games. He only cares about the knicks.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:31 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Dolan doesnt watch the games. He only cares about the knicks.
and cupcakes

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:31 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Theres your first mistake. Dolan doesnt watch the games. He only cares about the knicks.
Wow, that's scary when watching the Rangers would actually be an improvement over what you are currently watching.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Nick00

I'd be very surprised if there weren't some small moves made before Saturday.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:13 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
After tonight I couldn't even begin to say... The little drama with Vally going to Hartford appears to have given the team a bump but they were so clearly dominated tonight in Chicago....

No one played particularly bad, but this roster is Gabby Henrik and a mass of mediocrity.

Why are we so slow?

No one is really safe.....tonight....except Gabby
After tonight? You mean you're just figuring out that this roster is Gabby, Henrik and a mass of mediocrity now?

05-06: Jagr, Lundqvist, mediocrity
06-07: Jagr, Lundqvist, Shanahan, mediocrity
07-08: Lundqvist, mediocre Jagr, mediocre Shanahan, mediocrity
08-09: Lundqvist, mediocrity
09-10: Gaborik, Lundqvist, mediocrity

Doesn't seem like much is changing, does it?

Old
12-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
After tonight? You mean you're just figuring out that this roster is Gabby, Henrik and a mass of mediocrity now?

05-06: Jagr, Lundqvist, mediocrity
06-07: Jagr, Lundqvist, Shanahan, mediocrity

07-08: Lundqvist, mediocre Jagr, mediocre Shanahan, mediocrity
08-09: Lundqvist, mediocrity
09-10: Gaborik, Lundqvist, mediocrity

Doesn't seem like much is changing, does it?
Those two seasons we had somethin going. We had good hard working young team with a foward star and a emerging star in net. Slats had cap space, plenty of it before blowing it on Drury and Gomez. I have no doubt we would be a very different team today had the right decisions been made at this time. Most likely a Stanley Cup contender.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:38 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Those two seasons we had somethin going. We had good hard working young team with a foward star and a emerging star in net. Slats had cap space, plenty of it before blowing it on Drury and Gomez. I have no doubt we would be a very different team today had the right decisions been made at this time. Most likely a Stanley Cup contender.
I agree with the last part, that had we not wasted money on Drury, Gomez, and then Redden and Rozsival, everything could be different, but I that 05-06 team was nothing special. You can make the case for the 06-07 team, but I was never all that impressed with them either. The fact is, most of the roster was very average, and that has been the case nearly every season since the lockout.

Old
12-10-2009, 05:30 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Target Anaheim

Two guys we should look at, or I would like us to look at are Lupul and Koivu.

Lisin, Callahan, Gilroy, and a 3rd rounder for Lupul ,Koivu, and a condition draft pick since Koivu is a UFA next season.

Prospal-Koivu-Gaborik
Higgins-Dubinsky-Lupul
Avery-Drury-Kotalik
Boyle-Anisimov-Brashear

Rozsival-Del Zotto
Staal-Girardi
Redden-Heikkenen

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:56 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Two guys we should look at, or I would like us to look at are Lupul and Koivu.

Lisin, Callahan, Gilroy, and a 3rd rounder for Lupul ,Koivu, and a condition draft pick since Koivu is a UFA next season.

Prospal-Koivu-Gaborik
Higgins-Dubinsky-Lupul
Avery-Drury-Kotalik
Boyle-Anisimov-Brashear

Rozsival-Del Zotto
Staal-Girardi
Redden-Heikkenen
Cally and Gilroy for Lupul and Koivu...and us throwing in a 3rd?

Yea...i'm going to have to pass on that one.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:16 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Cally and Gilroy for Lupul and Koivu...and us throwing in a 3rd?

Yea...i'm going to have to pass on that one.
I don't think the deal works for us cap wise but really you would pass on that?

Lupul has shown more than Cally has at this point in his career and isn't old or anything. Koivu could come in and be a top center for Gabby, and at the price of Gilroy and a pick you would turn that down?

Old
12-10-2009, 06:19 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
I don't think the deal works for us cap wise but really you would pass on that?

Lupul has shown more than Cally has at this point in his career and isn't old or anything. Koivu could come in and be a top center for Gabby, and at the price of Gilroy and a pick you would turn that down?
Top center in Koivu?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Top center in Koivu?
Is he more capable than Higgins? I think so

Old
12-10-2009, 06:32 AM
DutchShamrock

Lupul - $4.25m
Koivu - $3.25m

Callahan - $2.3m
Gilroy - $1.75m
3rd rd pick is in LA.

All of this, this is fate telling you 'NO'. 'No, this is a horrible deal and do not pursue this matter any further'.

Where do we find the $5m in cap space to even accomodate this deal? Where do we find a 3rd round pick to thank Anaheim for such an amazing deal? Lupul struggles in the presence of better talent than found in NY, he will score less than Higgins here. Koivu is old. I'm not swapping him for Cally, or Gilroy which is even worse if we are on the verge of rebuilding. Koivu signed as a UFA this past summer, he's not moving unless he requests the move. No.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Is he more capable than Higgins? I think so
Capable of what? Koivu has not been a top center in a long time. Koivu is the answer to the Rangers woes?

Old
12-10-2009, 06:36 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Lupul - $4.25m
Koivu - $3.25m

Callahan - $2.3m
Gilroy - $1.75m
3rd rd pick is in LA.

All of this, this is fate telling you 'NO'. 'No, this is a horrible deal and do not pursue this matter any further'.

Where do we find the $5m in cap space to even accomodate this deal? Where do we find a 3rd round pick to thank Anaheim for such an amazing deal? Lupul struggles in the presence of better talent than found in NY, he will score less than Higgins here. Koivu is old. I'm not swapping him for Cally, or Gilroy which is even worse if we are on the verge of rebuilding. Koivu signed as a UFA this past summer, he's not moving unless he requests the move. No.
The natives fear management getting desperate. Taking on Lupul's contract without sending a similar bad contract back and taking on a washed up has been center. It's priceless!!!

Old
12-10-2009, 06:49 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The natives fear management getting desperate. Taking on Lupul's contract without sending a similar bad contract back and taking on a washed up has been center. It's priceless!!!
If they want to talk about Lupul for Roszival, I'd listen. I'm sure anyone outside of Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan is available.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Lupul - $4.25m
Koivu - $3.25m

Callahan - $2.3m
Gilroy - $1.75m
3rd rd pick is in LA.

You waive Voros who has a 1 mill cap hit. We would be just about trading 6 mill for 7.5 mil..

How much cap space do we have? We really dont even have around 2 mill cap space?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Siffalovic

Koivu? You gotta be kidding me... That would be terrible.

Siffalovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Wow, that's scary when watching the Rangers would actually be an improvement over what you are currently watching.
Say what you want about the Knicks, but at least they're committed to genuinely rebuilding and cleaning up the mess that a bad GM left. Unlike with the Rangers who keep spending the team into mediocrity.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Through the eyes of Tennessee Mash these will be dealt

SATHER GOES NUTS AND DOES THE FOLLOWING:

Andrei Kostitsyn (24 yo) at $3,250,000 (RFA 2011-2012) + Sergei Kostitsyn (22 yo) at $816,667 (RFA 2010-2011)from for Ales Kotalik (almost 31 yo) + Enver Lisin (23 yo)

Michael Nylander (37 yo) at $4.875.000 (UFA 2011-2012) + Milan Jurcina (26 yo) at $1.375,000 (UFA 2010-2011) from for Michal Rozsival (31 yo) + 5th round pick (They then swing (succede) in a closing a deal hereby sending Rozie elsewhere?)

Peter Mueller (21 yo) at $1.700.000 (RFA 2010-2011) from for Ryan Callahan (24 yo)

Todd Bertuzzi (34 yo) at $1.500.000 (UFA 2010-2011) + 5th round pick from for Chris Higgins (26 yo)

Jordan Tootoo (26 yo) at $975.000 (UFA 2010-2011) + Wade Belak (33 yo) at $650.000 (UFA 2010-2011) from for Donald Brashear (37 yo) + Erik Christensen (26 yo) + Devin Didiomete (21 yo) + ?? (our future considerations for Jessiman???)

Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (25 yo) at $600.000 (UFA 2010-2011) from for Aaron Voros (28 yo) + Corey Potter (25 yo)

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Vinny Prospal ($1.150m)
Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / * Peter Mueller ($1.700m)
* Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / * Michael Nylander ($4.875m) / * Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m)
* Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m) /Sean Avery ($1.938m)/ * Dane Byers ($0.500m)

Brian Boyle ($0.525m)/ * Sergei Kostitsyn ($0.817m)

DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / * Marc Staal ($0.826m)
* Daniel Girardi ($1.550m) / * Milan Jurcina ($1.375m)

* Wade Belak ($0.650m) or (* Ole-Kristian Tollefsen ($0.600m))

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Chad Johnson ($0.850m)

ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $55.915m; CAP ROOM: $1.268m BONUSES: $0.383m

PAP sent down to Hartford; PAP + Grachev + Locke + Weiss are reserve callups at F
Tollefsen (ev), Sanguinetti, Heikkinen, Sauer in Hartford as ev callups on D

• 5 million as prorated cap space at deadline.
  • Almost all of our budding young prospects (Grachev, Sangs, McD, Stepan, Werek, Kreider, Bourque, Hagelin, Weiss) are still left in the NYR organisation
  • Plenty of cap space for next year.
  • Dagoon gets his toughness
  • 4th line will be a killer to meet.
  • Secondary scoring should increase dramtaically.
  • Nylander hopefully pulls a Näslund & retires next year (fat chance) or is buried in Hartford if he cannot contribute.
  • Captain Clutch moves back to Denver that seeks some veteran prescence
  • See - now even more cap space
  • We then nab Kovalchuk (replacing Bertuzzi)!

See how easy this was!
Goeth now thy Imperial Darth Slather and pick up thy phone.

OMG - Jack Daniels is an evil concotion...

Last edited by BBKers: 12-11-2009 at 02:43 PM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote