HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Team down 1-3 thats most likely to advance & why?

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Hold the Pickles

vCash: 500
Team down 1-3 thats most likely to advance & why?

MTL ,DAL, NYI, STL, NJ (random order)

I'm going with MTL. They don't seem to know what the word "quit" means--Unless your talking about Kov's, but I'm sure he's gonna do what he can to redeem himself. Raycroft has been tough so its not gonna be easy... but when is it when your down 1-3.

I don't necessarily like the odds of any of the teams down 1-3, but with 5 of them, I think its fairly probable that one pulls it off. What do you think? & Why?

Old
04-14-2004, 11:59 PM
imagine29028

MTL....

cause a MTL-Toronto Eastern Conference Final would be the best thing to happen all year!

so I have selfish reasoning....sue me!

Old
04-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Ticallion961

Jersey...experience

Old
04-15-2004, 12:07 AM
ohlund2.2

I think NJ might just do it.

Other than them, it's unlikely.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:09 AM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Call me a homer if you want but I think the Devils have the best shot at it. They have been in this position(down 3-1), against the same opponent(Flyers in 2000), and had won the series(and eventually the cup).

Old
04-15-2004, 12:12 AM
OpAck

I don't think any of these teams are going to bounce back. But if I had to pick one, I'd have to go with NJ. They seem like the only team out there that can handle the pressure of being down 3-1. But I still think they'll come up short.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Sonik

I'd say montreal because everything for the Habs looks like 2002. They gotta have a break somewhere... I hope.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think all of them are done. NJ would be the team that has the capacity to do it (Brodeur, a great first line and a winning tradition) but I think Philly are just too good for them right now.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:41 AM
blah

Stick a fork in NJ.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:11 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Montreal and Jersey are the most likely teams but I doubt either team will pull it off. Montreal has been outplaying Boston for the most part but they make far too many mental errors to win three in a row and Theo isn't playing well enough to overcome all the mistakes made. Brodeur isn't playing the way he needs too for Jersey to come back, if he can somehow magically turn his "a" game on then I think Jersey has a great chance of coming back.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I'll take my chances on St.Louis. Their inexperience could lead to them blowing the first three games and then bombing out in game 7 when the pressure's on, and 7 tends to win against 2.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:02 AM
Lexicon Devil

Dallas - they've got too much talent, they just have to stop spotting the Avs a 2-goal lead.

Old
04-15-2004, 05:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
So people really think the Flyers are going to let themselves blow another 3-1 lead? Well Jersey are the Cup Champs, so I see why. I just don't get why a team with a completely different idenity and being a one line team gets them a free pass to the 2nd round being down 3-1 in their series to the last team they probably wanted to do that to. Any other team like Jersey and people would wonder how they even made the playoffs.

Let's be real for a second: Time and time again the Colorado Avalanche prolong series because they don't know how to finish them. Twice to the Kings ('01 and '02, needed Game 7 after being up 3-1. Blew 3-1 leads to the Oilers ('98) and the Wild ('03) and lost. Blew a 3-2 lead to Detroit ('02) and failed to score a goal in Games 6 and 7, blew a 3-2 lead to Dallas ('00) and lost Game 7 2 years in a row. This all with Patrick Roy in net. Not David Aebischer, not Jocelyn Thibault ('95 as the Nords they lost to an 8 seed that shouldn't have made the playoffs).

And if you were to look, you would find examples for Detroit as well. Just because these teams have won cups, doesn't mean they're not as capable the Vancouvers, Philadelphias and St. Louis' of the world to just have utter mass hysteria and fall apart.

Old
04-15-2004, 06:40 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

None of them.

Old
04-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Feenom

St. Louis: I don't think they have enough left in the tank.

NYI: Trips and tee off times have already been booked.

NJ: Experience says it's possible but can't win games if puck doesn't cross the line.

MTL: If Kovalev can give up, then why doesn't the Habs just give in? Theodore has to stand on his head for Mtl to even have a chance.

DAL: I would like the Stars to come back and win but Turco hasn't proven that he can take this team further than the parking lot.

My bet: DALLAS (most likely)

Old
04-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

New Jersey.

All they need to do is score one easy goal on Esche, and the confidence could crack. If the Flyers lose at Home, it puts pressure on them to win again in NJ. The Devils have gotten over 30 shots several times. If one easy one goes in, the floodgates could open. But I sure hope it doesn't!

Old
04-15-2004, 08:30 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

My bet is Dallas, too. They just have to get to Aebischer. They outshot the Avs 43-21 in the last game, so I'm confident they have the power to win 3 in a row.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Martin

I can't count out the Devils... Brodeur's been sub-par without Stevens and Rafalski, and Esche has been lucky as hell. They're due to send it to seven games.

Dallas? they're going nowhere fast. I'd have more faith in a St. Louis rally than a Dallas rally.

My order of teams that I think can rally (from least-likely to most-likely):

-New York Islanders

-Dallas

-St. Louis

-Montreal

-New Jersey

NJ and maybe Montreal (Canadian homerism) are the only teams I think have a real shot at a rally. Though Colorado has a lengthy history of choking on 3-1 series leads.... maybe they've learned their lesson this time?

Old
04-15-2004, 08:45 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
None of them.
Drake .. I have to agree.. I don't think any of them can.. Dallas D-COrp( a sore spot all season ) cant keep up with the Forsberg line, which is killing them.. Besides, Marty Turco is having a post season to forget.. Some bad breaks, 4 goals deflect of Dallas for goals, sloppy PP ( 2 SHG against) and nothing from tthe big guys.. Modano and Arnott have had descent series but Morrow, Lehtinen, Guerin, Zubov, Matvichuk ( who is playing better for Col. than us), Barnes, Bure, while having good shifts, have put nothing on the tote board...After that heart breaking loss last night, I am not sure they have the male appendages to take it back from Colorado...

Old
04-15-2004, 08:45 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
NJ and maybe Montreal (Canadian homerism) are the only teams I think have a real shot at a rally. Though Colorado has a lengthy history of choking on 3-1 series leads.... maybe they've learned their lesson this time?
hey, Tony Granato is behind the bench, any losing feat can be accomplished.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Youreallygotme

Montreal i think will come back and win but it starts tonight, theodore better be good

Old
04-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
My bet is Dallas, too. They just have to get to Aebischer. They outshot the Avs 43-21 in the last game, so I'm confident they have the power to win 3 in a row.
Outshooting them is irrelevent if they can't outscore them. That the Stars were so much better than Colorado, but couldnt beat Aeibischer is the strongest argument why the Stars wont come back.

Unless Esche goes down, none of these teams are coming back, IMO.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:54 AM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
NJ scares me the most in this group - they have been generating a lot of chances against the Flyers and the way they played BIG Defense in game 3 really shut the Flyers offense down - i don't think i saw more than two uncontested shots. And i agree that Esche might be a goal away from blown confidence...33% chance.

Montreal 2nd - just because i don't respect Boston enough. They seem soft and Raycroft might experience the same thing as Esche...confidence meltdown once pressure rises...28%

Dallas 3rd - Dallas has matched the Avs more decently than 3 to 1 suggests. They have the players to get it done also. But i think the fact that it isn't Roy in net will benefit the Avs. Roy got all kinds of credit for winning series, but he also lost quite a few for this team. So i think Aebischer will pull through for the Avs...18%

St. Louis 4th - they have played well, Nabokov is just really solid right now. I think San Jose has a good mix of styles and that Ricci-Thornton-Cheechoo line is true hockey...15%

NYI - 5th - just overmatched. A much better team (more opportunistic) and Khabibulin is playing up to level...-3%

Old
04-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
and Esche has been lucky as hell. They're due to send it to seven games.
Lucky as hell??? He's playing his butt off all season and in the first round, so it's not luck. The only thing lucky nowadays is the fact the Sens actually managed to score on Belfour yesterday.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:39 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
STL: Osgood injured(not sure of his status now), stupid penalties and aren't using size to their advantage, particularly on the power play. Doesn't look good.

NYI: Stick a fork in 'em. So many goals have been off dumb give aways in their own zone.

NJ: Brodeur hasn't played like Brodeur, so I think he'll heat up. On the other hand, Jersey can't put the puck in the net.

MTL: Theodore has to be Superman again for this to work out, and he hasn't been. Not to mention the Habs have to stop turtling when they get a solid lead; Boston's size will kill them if they keep doing that.

DAL: Turco hasn't been spectacular like the regular season(gee, just like last year), but then the Stars can't seem to play good defence either. Road record ain't too hot either.

I'm betting on Dallas, mainly because of Granato.

Closed Thread