HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Team down 1-3 thats most likely to advance & why?

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Coburnfan05

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Call me a homer if you want but I think the Devils have the best shot at it. They have been in this position(down 3-1), against the same opponent(Flyers in 2000), and had won the series(and eventually the cup).
Histroy doesn't mean anything...The devils team of 2000 was alot better then this years versioon and the flyers are vice versa, This years squad is alot better then the team in 2000.
If I had to pick I would go with Dallas

Last edited by Coburnfan05: 04-15-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old
04-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
I can't count out the Devils... Brodeur's been sub-par without Stevens and Rafalski, and Esche has been lucky as hell. They're due to send it to seven games.
First of all the sens/leafs and the devils/flyers games are on at the same time, so I doubt you have seen any of the flyers series...Oh and by the way Rafalski has been playing the whole series.

Esche has been stellar, it has nothing to do with luck. If it wasn't for his KEY saves we could easily be down 3-1 in this series. He played tremendous all year with a bad 6 game stretch at the end and everyone starts to count him out. So he steps up his game in the playoffs and besides flyer fans and some devils fans he still get's no credit.

Keep up the good work Esche and make alot of these fools look bad.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Whales

You guys are missing the most obvious in answering this question...

Dallas has the best chance because Colorado has no killer instinct. They hardly ever win when they need to most.

If Turco realizes he is actually an important part of the series and not just someone watching with a hell of a seat, this series is far from over.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
DAL: Turco hasn't been spectacular like the regular season(gee, just like last year), but then the Stars can't seem to play good defence either. Road record ain't too hot either.

I'm betting on Dallas, mainly because of Granato.
That old argument again...Turco was very, very good in the playoffs last year, giving up the exact SAME # of goals as Giguere in their series...just so happened that a few came in OT, and that the Stars could beat Giguere when it counted

Old
04-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whales
You guys are missing the most obvious in answering this question...

Dallas has the best chance because Colorado has no killer instinct. They hardly ever win when they need to most.

If Turco realizes he is actually an important part of the series and not just someone watching with a hell of a seat, this series is far from over.
My thoughts exactly. But, right before I posted this thread I was on the Avs board and many over there have been noting the lack of a killer instinct for a while now--Because of this, I had trouble coming across (to myself at least) in a way that didn't seem plagiaristic. But on another note, I don't think the Avs will take DAL for granted either.

BTW everyone: Many intelligent posts here... and not-so-homeristic either, good job so far and lets try to keep it up.

Old
04-15-2004, 02:36 PM
habsfan9

Send a message via MSN to habsfan9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feenom
St. Louis: I don't think they have enough left in the tank.

NYI: Trips and tee off times have already been booked.

NJ: Experience says it's possible but can't win games if puck doesn't cross the line.

MTL: If Kovalev can give up, then why doesn't the Habs just give in? Theodore has to stand on his head for Mtl to even have a chance.

DAL: I would like the Stars to come back and win but Turco hasn't proven that he can take this team further than the parking lot.

My bet: DALLAS (most likely)
mtls a better team than boston, theodore has 2 play better yes, but u thik he'll have 2 stand on his head, i f he just played a lil better throughout this series, just a lil, mtl would be up 3-1 so....

Old
04-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Everyone says Theodore will have to be superman to get the Habs back in this series, but that isn't true.

The Habs have been out playing, outshooting and out working the Bruins in the past 3 games. Theodore doesn't have to stand on his head (ok maybe in one of the 3 games) he just has to stop letting in the weak goals.

Habs are most likely to do it.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
04-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan9
mtls a better team than boston, theodore has 2 play better yes, but u thik he'll have 2 stand on his head, i f he just played a lil better throughout this series, just a lil, mtl would be up 3-1 so....
Oh, so that explains how they are the 7th seed and Boston is the 2nd seed.

Before the series started I had the Habs upsetting the B's. After watching Ribero and Korvolev (As Cherry would call him) acting like they belong in the ballet coupled with the fact that the thier defense can't handle the bigger bruins, I am sorry but I think the Habs are done.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:59 PM
ikovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
The Habs have been out playing, outshooting and out working the Bruins in the past 3 games
...but have been outscored. <-- what matters

Old
04-15-2004, 04:09 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan

Before the series started I had the Habs upsetting the B's. After watching Ribero and Korvolev (As Cherry would call him) acting like they belong in the ballet coupled with the fact that the thier defense can't handle the bigger bruins, I am sorry but I think the Habs are done.
actualy you havnt been watching the series at all "thier defence can't handle the bigger bruins"? theo's not handling them, and size is not as big as issue if you actualy watched a game.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whales
Dallas has the best chance because Colorado has no killer instinct.
Really? Then why have a big part of their key players (Forsberg, Sakic, Foote, Blake, Hejduk and Tanguay) already won 1 or 2 cups with this team? I guess you do need quite some killer instinct to do that, don't you?

Old
04-15-2004, 04:18 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
So people really think the Flyers are going to let themselves blow another 3-1 lead? Well Jersey are the Cup Champs, so I see why. I just don't get why a team with a completely different idenity and being a one line team gets them a free pass to the 2nd round being down 3-1 in their series to the last team they probably wanted to do that to. Any other team like Jersey and people would wonder how they even made the playoffs.

Let's be real for a second: Time and time again the Colorado Avalanche prolong series because they don't know how to finish them. Twice to the Kings ('01 and '02, needed Game 7 after being up 3-1. Blew 3-1 leads to the Oilers ('98) and the Wild ('03) and lost. Blew a 3-2 lead to Detroit ('02) and failed to score a goal in Games 6 and 7, blew a 3-2 lead to Dallas ('00) and lost Game 7 2 years in a row. This all with Patrick Roy in net. Not David Aebischer, not Jocelyn Thibault ('95 as the Nords they lost to an 8 seed that shouldn't have made the playoffs).

And if you were to look, you would find examples for Detroit as well. Just because these teams have won cups, doesn't mean they're not as capable the Vancouvers, Philadelphias and St. Louis' of the world to just have utter mass hysteria and fall apart.
I don't think that anyone is saying that the Devils will win, just that they have the best chance to win. I wouldn't dare count the Devils out of any series, especially with the EGG line and that guy they have guarding the mesh, and I'd pick them too for a comeback.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
Really? Then why have a big part of their key players (Forsberg, Sakic, Foote, Blake, Hejduk and Tanguay) already won 1 or 2 cups with this team? I guess you do need quite some killer instinct to do that, don't you?
Yes to win a Cup, you need to be on a team that can shut the door. Three years ago they had that instinct, but, it disappeared sometime after that Cup run.

See Western Final vs. Detroit (up 3-2 going back to Denver), last year's debacle against Minnesota (up 3-1 going back to Denver) and their inability to win their division this year when they were up by nine points over Vancouver in the last month.

I have watched most every game of theirs since this season (and the one before, and the one before, etc.) and when the pressure has been on in the last three years, they have lost.

Old
04-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Famous Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
History would say that the Avs really don't have the killer instinct:

1998 - Blow 3-1 series lead to Edmonton
1999 - Blow 3-2 series lead to Dallas
2000 - Blow 3-2 series lead to Dallas
2001 - Stanley Cup
2002 - Blow 3-2 series lead to Detroit (no goals in last 2 games)
2003 - Blow 3-1 series lead to Minnesota

Having said that, I am pretty confident Dallas is not coming back. They are just not playing well enough.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:44 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
None will, but I'll just give it to Montreal after crushing the Bruins today.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:47 PM
habsfan9

Send a message via MSN to habsfan9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan

DO YOU THINK THEYRE DONE NOW MY FRIEND LOL, 5-1 HABS

Old
04-15-2004, 09:51 PM
DownFromNJ

Haha funny to see Phans get so defensive. Bad memories of 2000 coming back...

Since I'm a NJ fan I'll not factor them in.

I think Boston is going down fast. Theodore is bound to pick it up sometime soon.

Dallas could win but probably won't.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:51 AM
Natural Habs Fan

If Theo plays like he did tonight and we keep getting good offense from our top line we'll win. Hell, we haven't even seen Ryder pot a goal yet, just imagine if he gets started up again.

I'm calling for a Montreal win in game 6 and a very close and hard fought game 7.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Upon1

Well I am a bit late into this thread but IMO

Devs-Flyers: Flyers in 5
Bruins-Canadiens (currently 3-2): Bruins in 7
Lightning-Islanders: Lightning in 6
Stars-Avs: Avs in 5

But I would have said Bruins in 5 had I posted this yesterday so obviously I am not guaranteed to be right!

Old
04-16-2004, 01:29 AM
Confused_Combination

Habs have outplayed the Bruins in 4 of the 5 games and if weren't for Theodore playing horrible then the Habs would already be resting at home. If Theo keeps playing like he did tonight then the Bruins have no shot. They let the Habs off the mat in the first 5 minutes and now they are going to pay for it.

Closed Thread