HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is Del Zotto the #1 D-man in NY?

Old
11-30-2009, 12:52 PM
SouvenirCity

vCash: 500
MDZ has been our #1 d-man in terms of production, but he really hasn't that much of a force on the PK, and I can't see the points keeping up throughout an entire season. I just hope when he comes back down to earth, Staal is already in orbit.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:08 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'm not ready to call him our #1 d-man when he was a team worst -5 against the Penguins.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

he's certainly playing outstanding for a rookie, I've been so impressed with everything he's done this year

NYSportsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Komarov47

Overall Staal is your numer one for me for the next 10 seasons. He's got skills in all kina of play

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Del Zotto is probably not the number one defenseman right now but it's hard to see him not reaching that level. His passing skills are unbelieveable. He's every bit as good as media sweetheart Drew Doughty and his defense has improved by leaps and bounds during the season. I only saw bits and pieces of the Pittrsburgh game but in no way was he responsible for 5 goals.

Oh, and did I mention that he's 19 years old? He's doing this at a very young age. And doing it very well. He'll be a number one soon enough. And along the way, he'll far surpass Tomas Kaberle.

Defensemen often take 3-5 years of professional hockey to play to their level. Staal has certainly had plenty of ups and downs (including this year) and he's only 22. MDZ is a treasure that hopefully we can nuture and have in the lineup for the next 15 years. Pretty cool thought isn't it?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Del Zotto started off red hot but he's cooled down a little lately. I still don't see Redden as our number 1 D-Man and, if he is, that's pathetic. His transition game is terrible, he gives the puck away in neutral zone all the time, and he brings no physical presence. He hasn't even contributed that much in the offensive zone, he's tied for last among our D-Man in points.

But yeah, Del Zotto is looking like he's going to be a very respectable player in the future. He's already got a great offensive touch and his physical game is slowly coming around. If he could work out his defensive kinks while continuing to develop his offensive game, he could develop into a number one for sure.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:20 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Del Zotto is probably not the number one defenseman right now but it's hard to see him not reaching that level. His passing skills are unbelieveable. He's every bit as good as media sweetheart Drew Doughty and his defense has improved by leaps and bounds during the season. I only saw bits and pieces of the Pittrsburgh game but in no way was he responsible for 5 goals.

Oh, and did I mention that he's 19 years old? He's doing this at a very young age. And doing it very well. He'll be a number one soon enough. And along the way, he'll far surpass Tomas Kaberle.

Defensemen often take 3-5 years of professional hockey to play to their level. Staal has certainly had plenty of ups and downs (including this year) and he's only 22. MDZ is a treasure that hopefully we can nuture and have in the lineup for the next 15 years. Pretty cool thought isn't it?
I agree, his point production may have fallen recently, but that's only because the forwards stopped putting the puck in the net. He's still making the same great passes we saw during the beginning of the season.

He will finish with around 40 points if Tortorella doesn't cut his ice time. He is a gem

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:32 PM
NYR Viper

I honestly think Gilroy may become a legitimate top-pairing d-man in the next couple of seasons. His skating and quickness make him a very good overall d-man and allows him to effortlessly play a lot of minutes. He has impressed me a lot.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
not to argue here but you should have watched the replays
If you think he was at fault on all the goals, you clearly should re-watch. He was not.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If you think he was at fault on all the goals, you clearly should re-watch. He was not.
No it was. It was his fault, and Henke's, and Drury's and Korpikoski's, and Renney's...its all their fault.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
HockeyBurd*

Given the physical aspect of his game that he has shown thus far, his poise and his solid footwork, I don't see any reason why he couldn't develop into that all situations #1 defenseman. He's not their yet but his ability to move the puck tape to tape in a split second from the defensive zone instantly gives him a huge advantage over anybody else in the system. That's a huge part of what you want in your D-man who is out there protecting that one goal lead in the final minute.

As for who is #1 right now... like it matters. You can bring back Malik and make him the #1. Same difference.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
MDZ has been our #1 d-man in terms of production, but he really hasn't that much of a force on the PK, and I can't see the points keeping up throughout an entire season. I just hope when he comes back down to earth, Staal is already in orbit.
MDZ is used not on the PK. Torts used MDZ on the PK in FLA last Wednesday when Redden went down.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

MDZ's minutes have progressed steadily throughout the season.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I honestly think Gilroy may become a legitimate top-pairing d-man in the next couple of seasons. His skating and quickness make him a very good overall d-man and allows him to effortlessly play a lot of minutes. He has impressed me a lot.
Well I hope it doesn't happen next season; I'm not so sure we'll be able to re-sign him if it does.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 04:22 PM
realitystrikes*

At the moment, its hard to say he isnt. But I think that says more about the team than anything else. It's kind of like how last year we liked to say Staal was our #1. While probably true, it's hardly a badge for the player as much as it is another blemish for the product Sather has put out on the ice.

realitystrikes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I agree, he should have had #5 last night, and hit the post, I see alot of positives with this kid...skating, passing, shooting, he's also one of the only + - guys on the team...I would like to see him shoot more...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

On most nights I believe he is our best d-man most of the time. What we have to remember is he is very young and will probably get fatigued as the season progresses.

but as of now, he is our best

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:41 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's funny, our #1 was supposed to be Staal. Instead he's sucked. He needs to play a defensive shut down game and start hitting guys hard. Oh how I wish he would become a big bruising stay at home Dman. He's 6'4" he needs to put on another 10 pounds and stop playing like a pansy. Tortorella should be making him play that style, not forcing him to be an offensive defenseman. It's just nonsense.

I don't want to hear that he's #1 in hits in the team for Dmen. The fact is he rarely/never throws a hit that makes you say "wow what a hit!"

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
It's funny, our #1 was supposed to be Staal. Instead he's sucked. He needs to play a defensive shut down game and start hitting guys hard. Oh how I wish he would become a big bruising stay at home Dman. He's 6'4" he needs to put on another 10 pounds and stop playing like a pansy. Tortorella should be making him play that style, not forcing him to be an offensive defenseman. It's just nonsense.

I don't want to hear that he's #1 in hits in the team for Dmen. The fact is he rarely/never throws a hit that makes you say "wow what a hit!"
To be fair, there aren't many 22 year old defensemen who go around drilling fowards at every chance that presents itself. I think he will become more physical as he matures. Most defensemen don't hit their prime until way into their 20's. Staal still has a a few years to go

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

So you want him running all around the ice trying to murder people and taking him out of position just so you can exclaim, "wow what a hit!"?

When players come down the board on Staal's side they will most certainly get roughed up, and if someone is skating towards Staal with their head down he will crush them as long as it doesn't take him out of position. You don't have to hit like Phaneuf to be a defensive force.

Also wrong time to post this, because he had an excellent game last night and for all those people complaining he has no offense, he is almost at .5 ppg, which is good for a defenseman.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:52 PM
nyr33

Del Zotto is much better than any of us could have anticipated as a 19 year old. And with the team sucking this hard, at least we have another bright spot in our lineup and future that's not named Marian

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:29 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
In 3 or 4 years, I think he'll be a fantastic #2, but I'm not quite ready to label him as a future #1. I see a step down from Tomas Kaberle, not a Scott Neidermeyer, but I've underestimated the kid from the start so I hope he proves me wrong yet again.
well put, I am guilty as well underestimating Del Zotts as well. Neidermeyer? well, Nieds was 19 once as well. Anything is possible. The real test will be if Gabby ever cools down (lol) will the wunderkid Del Zotto continue to rack up PP points? Let's face it, the kid is loading up the PP assists and sprinkling in some PP goals. Very intelligent hockey offensive IQ no doubt. I think at worst the blue shirts have a top 4 guy with awesome QB abilities on the PP. Not too shabby. He has good size and skates great and makes awesome outlet passes. If everything works out no reason why he cannot become a #1 puck moving log a ton a minutes top flight d man. Just marry him with a partner that can protect his ass b/c teams will be gunning for him one day in the immediate future See, the blue shirts don't need a lottery pick to get blue chip young talent How is the russian bear looking at Hartford? another potenial blue chipper as well

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
He needs to play a defensive shut down game and start hitting guys hard. Oh how I wish he would become a big bruising stay at home Dman. He's 6'4" he needs to put on another 10 pounds and stop playing like a pansy. Tortorella should be making him play that style, not forcing him to be an offensive defenseman. It's just nonsense.

Before the season Torts was saying how he could improve Staal by adding snarl to his game, I haven't seen it especially the game where he got buried twice, guys that big, 6'4", should play the way Chris Nilan played like a human bowling ball....he definitely needs to add strength and forget about the offensive rush...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote