HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Proposal.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:16 AM
chris11inter

vCash: 500
Trade Proposal.

If there is any benefit with the Injury of Hemsky- it would be that we do have a little bit of cash to spend.

Thoughts of:

Lubo

For

Eric Staal

I do know Staal is having an off year, however the guy is a proven point producer. We have way to much money tied up in our mediocre defence core so this would definitly help out.

And when Hemksy were to return next year would FINALLY give us a legit top line.

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
You're dreaming if you think we could get Staal for Lubo straight up.

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I could see Oilers management putting a trade for Staal together around Lubo and probably giving up their 1st while they are at it. It would be the typical appease the fans and show them their shiney new medal to keep selling tickets type of move.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:28 AM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
If there is any benefit with the Injury of Hemsky- it would be that we do have a little bit of cash to spend.

Thoughts of:

Lubo

For

Eric Staal

I do know Staal is having an off year, however the guy is a proven point producer. We have way to much money tied up in our mediocre defence core so this would definitly help out.

And when Hemksy were to return next year would FINALLY give us a legit top line.
you should change your avatar to addicted to suggesting $hitty trades. i think this one time i saw this bird prety sure it was a stork fly over top of this proposal and take a massive DUMP on it.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Ghostbuster

I'd do it, Carolina doesn't.

There would need to be another trade as well. We have way too many Centers as it is, adding Staal and his massive contract won't help.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
I'd do it, Carolina doesn't.

There would need to be another trade as well. We have way too many Centers as it is, adding Staal and his massive contract won't help.
I don't see it going down straight up I see someone like Cogs or O'Sullivan being thrown in and then probably a prospect or pick. This is the exact type of trade Lowe would try getting done for a quick fix to appease the fanbase. The Oil need to stay away from this type of deal and move Souray and Lubo for picks and prospects.

Old
reckless_abandon

Quote:
Lubo is a top 2 pairing defencemen. And yes I would agree it would cost more than Lubo to bring Staal here- but not as much as you would think. Lubo and Cogs possibly?
Too much and would set the Oilers further back. Cogliano's play this year has been disappointing, but he is worth much more than people are crediting him on these boards lately. 1st round pick, 3rd year pro, capable of potting 20, potentially the fastest player in the league. 1 appearance at the all-star skills competition, having a poor showing in a contract making season in a cap'd league, signifying a smaller contract than he probably could leverage in a good or average year. This is the type of young player with potential to sine as a background support cast for contending team that out preforms his contract in 2-3 years. The GMs of this league know this and that is why if he is dealt, it will be for that big fish that management has been trying to snag these last few dismal years.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Lubo+Gagner+Cogliano MAY get Carolina talking, otherwise keep dreaming. That's how much he is worth to them

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
chris11inter

Saying all of this.

He is an 8.25 Million dollar cap hit until 2015.

I'm sure there is a lineup of people waiting to throw huge trade offers at a guy that has been a PPG player once in the last 4 years.

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Lubo+Gagner+Cogliano MAY get Carolina talking, otherwise keep dreaming.
I love how others are quick to criticize but this is more than the Oil would have given up for Heatley and Heatley is a better player than Staal.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:49 AM
SuperUke99

Quote:
I don't think anyone with 100 posts should be critcizing anyone...

I'm sure the genious you are could have predicted some of the trades that have occured this year- such as the Canucks getting Ehroff at no cost.

Lubo is a top 2 pairing defencemen. And yes I would agree it would cost more than Lubo to bring Staal here- but not as much as you would think. Lubo and Cogs possibly?
Of course they would trade away their 25yr old franchise centerman for a 4th liner and a 34yr old d-man

SuperUke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Saying all of this.

I'm sure there is a lineup of people waiting to throw huge trade offers at a guy that has been a PPG player once in the last 4 years.
Whoa I didn't realize his cap hit was that big. Then ya Lubo + Cogs would be more than enough. Carolina would probably have to send a pick back our way to get that deal done.

Old
Tommy35

Quote:
I don't think anyone with 100 posts should be critcizing anyone...

I'm sure the genious you are could have predicted some of the trades that have occured this year- such as the Canucks getting Ehroff at no cost.

Lubo is a top 2 pairing defencemen. And yes I would agree it would cost more than Lubo to bring Staal here- but not as much as you would think. SOURAY AND O'SULLIVAN possibly?
There ya go, fixed.

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

Only idiots with cap space willing to spend it - there are none of those as GM's in the NHL......

From: http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../11967001.html

This season is already a writeoff for Carolina GM Jim Rutherford and now he’s trying to unload contracts. While the Hurricanes can’t declare publicly they’re going for the first overall pick, it’s fair to say they’re the top contender because the last thing Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke wants to see is the Bruins making the top selection with the pick he dealt them for Phil Kessel. Sources say Rutherford, who has solid backing from ownership, will see if he can move some looming unrestricted free agents.

The indications are D Aaron Ward ($2.5 million), D Joe Corvo ($2.75 million) and D Niclas Wallin ($1.725 million) are all being shopped. The surprise on that list is Ward, who was dealt back to Carolina from Boston in the off-season. But he’s struggled along with his teammates.

Veteran winger Ray Whitney, also set to become a UFA, will likely get the option of being dealt to a contender. The 37-year-old is well-respected and would help any contender looking for leadership down the stretch.

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SuperUke99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I love how others are quick to criticize but this is more than the Oil would have given up for Heatley and Heatley is a better player than Staal.
Really? How many cups does Heatley have?

Old
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUke99 View Post
Really? How many cups does Heatley have?
I love this argument.

So Osgood is better than Luongo, Miller, Lundquist, Nabokov?

Matt Cooke is also better than Ovechkin?

Old
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Heatley is a different situation for two reasons..... He demanded a trade and therefore carried less value and Centers are more valuable than Wingers and furthermore Staal is younger which also plays a factor. Also, Carolina would be giving up their franchise player so that would up the ante, Heatley was not Ottawa's franchise player.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Heatley is a different situation for two reasons..... He demanded a trade and therefore carried less value and Centers are more valuable than Wingers and furthermore Staal is younger which also plays a factor. Also, Carolina would be giving up their franchise player so that would up the ante, Heatley was not Ottawa's franchise player.
It might up the "ante", but that is a horrible contract in an uncertain market. I don't think people realize how much economics plays in the cap world.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Tommy35

Quote:
I love this argument.

So Osgood is better than Luongo, Miller, Lundquist, Nabokov?

Matt Cooke is also better than Ovechkin?
Doesn't matter, Heatley's a princess., Stall isn't, so Stall is better

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 11:58 AM
SuperUke99

Quote:
Whoa I didn't realize his cap hit was that big. Then ya Lubo + Cogs would be more than enough. Carolina would probably have to send a pick back our way to get that deal done.
Cogs isnt worth a 2nd round pick never mind a top center in the league.

Old
11-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Good thing he isn't the centerpeice of the proposed trade? You a slow learner or just love to argue?

Old
11-30-2009, 11:59 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
It might up the "ante", but that is a horrible contract in an uncertain market. I don't think people realize how much economics plays in the cap world.
It's not a good contract, i agree but he is their franchise player and i'm just saying that's what Carolina will ask for, not what i personally would be willing to give up.

Old
11-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Actually, I thought your last one was bad.
You shopuld maybe take a peek how many second rounders actually ever play regularly in the NHL.
IIt aint pretty.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
Doesn't matter, Heatley's a princess., Stall isn't, so Stall is better
I didn't think his argument could have gotten any worse. You just succeeded. No wait, you actually have a better argument than him.

Old
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
It's not a good contract, i agree but he is their franchise player and i'm just saying that's what Carolina will ask for, not what i personally would be willing to give up.
That's fine, we both value the player differently. Don't have to be rude to the person suggesting the proposal.