HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I come in peace (re: Mike Cammalleri).

Old
11-30-2009, 12:37 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

vCash: 500
I come in peace (re: Mike Cammalleri).

Just checking in with you Hab fans... I'm from Cammalleri's hometown. It was interesting to see him on HNIC a couple weeks ago, talking about Mill Pond, the pond he grew up playing hockey on.

I grew up on the pond, too.

Just curious if there were any articles or if you guys have heard Mike talk about his hometown.

We haven't really produced much in terms of NHL talent...

Mike Cammalleri (Montreal)
Derek Joslin (San Jose)
Glen Metropolit (Montreal)
Theo Peckham (Edmonton)
John McFarland (2010 lottery pick, Sudbury of the OHL)

Retired...

Jeff O'Neill (Carolina, Toronto)

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:51 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Jeff O'Neill retired; That doesn't exactly pleases me in any way.

I've not heard of Cam's hometown or Metro's hometown, it seems to be ignored by the media so far. We've heard Cammalleri talk about Glen as if they knew each other well though.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 12:57 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Jeff O'Neill retired; That doesn't exactly pleases me in any way.

I've not heard of Cam's hometown or Metro's hometown, it seems to be ignored by the media so far. We've heard Cammalleri talk about Glen as if they knew each other well though.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Cammalleri and Metropolit are close.

They're both from Richmond Hill, Ontario. Population: approximately 185,000.

Old
11-30-2009, 01:51 AM
habman6

The population of Richmond Hill is meaningless. It is in the GTA, and if you live anywhere surrounding Toronto (Mississauga, Markham, Richmond Hill) you pretty much ARE in Toronto. So I doubt that they have met before just because of location

habman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:52 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

it's still the GTA

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:59 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by habman6 View Post
The population of Richmond Hill is meaningless. It is in the GTA, and if you live anywhere surrounding Toronto (Mississauga, Markham, Richmond Hill) you pretty much ARE in Toronto. So I doubt that they have met before just because of location
I'm sure they grew up playing in the Richmond Hill Hockey Association at some point. In the AHL, Cammalleri played with Manchester and Metropolit was with Portland, in the same division. They're probably familiar with one another.

Never said they met before just because of location.

Old
11-30-2009, 02:00 AM
QuietReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post
Just checking in with you Hab fans... I'm from Cammalleri's hometown. It was interesting to see him on HNIC a couple weeks ago, talking about Mill Pond, the pond he grew up playing hockey on.

Just curious if there were any articles or if you guys have heard Mike talk about his hometown.

Derek Joslin (San Jose)
Theo Peckham (Edmonton)

Retired...

Glen Metropolit is not from Richmond Hill, he played hockey there... he was born and raised in downtown toronto...I read an article about him that really impressed me and made me respect him on a different level..

Here is the article: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...o_way_streets/

And here are some excerpts:

"Glen Metropolit grew up in government-subsidized housing in downtown Toronto, and no one in Cabbage Town lived the dream or measured the chances of one day playing in the NHL.

All that was for other kids. The kids with a permanent home. The kids usually with both a mom and a dad, and their first pair of skates bronzed and stored in a memento box. The kids who got shuttled in the family SUV from one game to the next, knowing that the home they left in the morning would be the same they returned to at night, and the next-door neighbor wouldn't be on the prowl for the next hit of crack cocaine.

Life in the Regent Park section of Cabbage Town was without certainty or luxury, especially for Metropolit, who grew up with only pennies in his pocket and little more than the hockey stick and ball he carried in his hands.

He grew up poor, never knew his biological father, spent portions of his early childhood with relatives and in foster homes, and only began to inch up the hockey ladder in his late teens when a neighborhood pal suggested he try out for the Richmond Hill (Ontario) Junior B squad. He made it, on the last cut, and has spent the last 15 or so years skating one stride ahead of the next cut."

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:04 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisconsult View Post
Glen Metropolit is not from Richmond Hill, he played hockey there... he was born and raised in downtown toronto...I read an article about him that really impressed me and made me respect him on a different level..

Here is the article: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...o_way_streets/

And here are some excerpts:

"... and only began to inch up the hockey ladder in his late teens when a neighborhood pal suggested he try out for the Richmond Hill (Ontario) Junior B squad. He made it, on the last cut, and has spent the last 15 or so years skating one stride ahead of the next cut."
As I said...

Quote:
I'm sure they grew up playing in the Richmond Hill Hockey Association at some point.
He's still listed as being from Richmond Hill, he started to develop in the RHHA.

Btw... jooooooonam, che kos'e dokhtare tu axet.

Old
11-30-2009, 02:11 AM
QuietReign

Quote:
As I said...

He's still listed as being from Richmond Hill, he started to develop in the RHHA.

Btw... jooooooonam, che kos'e dokhtare tu axet.
And like i said, he played hockey in Richmond Hill, he is not from there... Just like Sidney Crosby is not from Rimouski, Québec...but played hockey there...

ps. chakereeem

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 02:15 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisconsult View Post
And like i said, he played hockey in Richmond Hill, he is not from there... Just like Sidney Crosby is not from Rimouski, Québec...but played hockey there...

ps. chakereeem
I get what you mean, I'm glad you posted that article.

I've been a big fan of his play since he was with Washington. Not enough talent to be a top 6 forward, but he gives it his all.

Old
11-30-2009, 05:58 AM
sandman08

isnt king city like an hourish north of richmond hill? or was it less.. i forget.. one of my closest friends lives in richmond hill so ive been out that ways a few times over the years..

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Capitano

King City is about 30-45 mins northwest of Richmond Hill...

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Derek Joslin (San Jose)
Theo Peckham (Edmonton)

Retired...

Mill Pond , know it well.

You must have been pleased to see Cammalleri on OTR correcting Landsberg when he accused Cammalleri of being from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Maybe if you're walking on foot. By car it's a fraction of that.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-30-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Merge
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Capitano

I do drive slow

I guess it depends on where you're coming from, I live in Vaughan so it takes me about 20 minutes north to get to King City. It takes me about 30 mins to get to Richmond Hill.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Weird avatar for a hockey board..

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:41 AM
MetroGnome

I'd be interested in learning more about his hometown too. But, this is all I could find for now.

“I was a Leafs fan growing up in Toronto, just like kids in Montreal grow up as Canadiens fans,” Cammalleri said. “I also liked Detroit, because they had some good teams, and I played for the Toronto Red Wings. I’m not a Leafs fan anymore.”

Cammalleri’s father introduced him to skating on a pond in suburban Richmond Hill when he was 3, and he started playing organized hockey two years later.

http://www.globalmontreal.com/sports...539/story.html

MetroGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:12 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Maybe if you're walking on foot. By car it's a fraction of that.
haha its been a while since ive been out that way for sure.. maybe im thinking downtown or something.. oh and earl.. is there any other way to walk other than on foot? (sorry couldnt help it )

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:30 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
haha its been a while since ive been out that way for sure.. maybe im thinking downtown or something.. oh and earl.. is there any other way to walk other than on foot? (sorry couldnt help it )
Yes, hands.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Weird avatar for a hockey board..

By the way, I went to college in King City. From the heart of Richmond Hill, taking Bathurst, it's about 15-20 minutes to get to King City. Vaughan is about 10-15 minutes away.

MetroGnome, Richmond Hill is a suburban town just north of Toronto. Taking Yonge St., it's about 30 minutes north from Downtown Toronto. It's a very nice town to live in. Very little crime, very very multicultural and it has everything you want. Even a small entertainment district (East Beaver Creek).

This is the pond that Mike Cammalleri (and myself) grew up playing hockey on...

Old
12-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Parenteau15

The pond is big! It looks really awesome.
Btw, it's nice to share infos like this.
Makes me learn more about Cammy.

Parenteau15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Newhabfan

Thanks for the info.

Btw, at some point at the start of the season, they used to play Cammalleri with Metropolit a lot on the PP and teh media was outraged - why playing your star scorer with your fourth center (at that time) on the PP when you had the 2nd and 3rd (Laps ) available ? It was an insult to Cammaleri !

Then the answer, from Martin McGuire I think, was that Camalleri specifically asked to play with Metro because he liked his way of playing. He was kinda right.

Maybe that came from playing on the same pond at some moment....I would not be surprised to see three offensive pairs at some point : Gomez-Gionta, Plek-AK, and Cammaleri-Metro. Especially on the PP.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Thanks for the info.

Btw, at some point at the start of the season, they used to play Cammalleri with Metropolit a lot on the PP and teh media was outraged - why playing your star scorer with your fourth center (at that time) on the PP when you had the 2nd and 3rd (Laps ) available ? It was an insult to Cammaleri !

Then the answer, from Martin McGuire I think, was that Camalleri specifically asked to play with Metro because he liked his way of playing. He was kinda right.

Maybe that came from playing on the same pond at some moment....I would not be surprised to see three offensive pairs at some point : Gomez-Gionta, Plek-AK, and Cammaleri-Metro. Especially on the PP.
Metro-Patches-Cammy could be a deadly line and with Benny and AK back would give us three very dangerous lines and one fast and hard working checking line for the PK. Gomez and Gionta on the PK would be lethal with their speed as well!

Will JM throw the book out and make the Metrosexuals the top line? All three have earned top minutes this year.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote