HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nov 30: Ovie suspended 2 games for kneeing

Old
11-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Mr McV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Maybe Bobby Clarke should come out of retirement and teach OV some "manners"?
It wouldn't be the first time he took out a Russian player.

Mr McV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I totally disagree with you guys. If you really watch the hit, Ovechkin is leading with his shoulder, trying to hit Gleason, who dodges his upper body last minute, leaving his leg exposed.

No way Ovechkin risks his own knee trying to knee someone else.
Doesn't matter, he's gone knee on knee once before already.

So in review he has a history of a) boarding, b) going knee on knee (twice) and c) slewfooting.

All within the past 1-2 years. Doesn't matter if it didn't look intentional, he has a track record now and chances are he was going out of his way to make a potentially vicious hit. Not to mention his knee did infact slip out at the last second and clip Gleason.

It was dirty, even though it may have been unintentional. He's got to be more careful, beginning to play like he's invincible and can do no wrong.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:43 AM
rprice92

Quote:
I totally disagree with you guys. If you really watch the hit, Ovechkin is leading with his shoulder, trying to hit Gleason, who dodges his upper body last minute, leaving his leg exposed.

i have to disagree, if you look at the replay, gleason's legs are close together, he's not taking wide strides, so the only way that play happens is if ovechkin sticks out his knee.

but i hate ovechkin so i hope this is possibly season ending

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

vCash: 50
Again, look at 2 things. First, watch ovy line him up. See gleason shift his upper body out of the way but leave his lower body exposed (most guys leap to avoid hit). Second watch ovechkins leg. He doesn't stick it out. Its already there. There is no intent to knee here. Don't get me wrong I'm not an ovechkin fanboy, I know he makes reckless hits but this isn't one of them. If they suspend him after letting handzus off the hook ill lose it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

Quote:

exactly, this was not dirty at all, ovechkin doesnt even move his legs, he was leading with his upper body.

This is just like a guy turning last second and getting "hit from behind".

Not Robin Brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I find it funny how so many people are spewing their mouth when I bet that half the posters haven't actually seen the video. Some are probably making comments because they are pro-Crosby and dislike OV and vice versa. Someone post the youtube video if there is one otherwise this thread isn't really going anywhere.

On top of this, if the Handzus hit on Hemsky isn't suspendable I fail to see why Ovechkin should be suspended.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I find it funny how so many people are spewing their mouth when I bet that half the posters haven't actually seen the video. Some are probably making comments because they are pro-Crosby and dislike OV and vice versa. Someone post the youtube video if there is one otherwise this thread isn't really going anywhere.

On top of this, if the Handzus hit on Hemsky isn't suspendable I fail to see why Ovechkin should be suspended.
That hit to me looks like Ovechkin definitely sticks out his leg. It's almost in a stabbing type motion right before impact. It's weird how different eyes have different opinions on this. I clearly see the knee by Ovechkin. Gleason wasn't even watching Ovechkin on the play.

I'm not sure how you embed the video...

Last edited by Gusher: 12-01-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

There we go. Forgot that you have to copy the embedded stuff from the video on the youtube page.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Gusher

Nevermind. It's working finally.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
That hit to me looks like Ovechkin definitely sticks out his leg. It's almost in a stabbing type motion right before impact. It's weird how different eyes have different opinions on this. I clearly see the knee by Ovechkin. Gleason wasn't even watching Ovechkin on the play.
Looks to me like a similar play, as stated earlier in here, where a guy goes to hit another guy and he turn last second. On this play OV had Gleason lined up and last second Gleason cuts to the middle and OV reacted and ya stuck his leg out.

Call me stupid but I don't see how that is more blatant than hitting a guy from behind into the boards when he already had his back you and you still make the "conscious" decision to rub him out.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
cheezymadman

Ovechkin's the only player in the league that plays pre-lockout hockey and gets away with it.

cheezymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Nevermind. It's working finally.
There you go, now yours is up.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Gusher

Quote:

Call me stupid but I don't see how that is more blatant than hitting a guy from behind into the boards when he already had his back you and you still make the "conscious" decision to rub him out.
Both are equally bad, IMO. With all the injuries pilling up this season, if the NHL wants to cut this wreckless behaviour out, they need to start with a suspension on Ovechkin, IMO. Send a message. It's getting out of hand. Nobody has any respect on the ice anymore.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezymadman View Post
Ovechkin's the only player in the league that plays pre-lockout hockey and gets away with it.
Are you kidding me?

Maybe if the league didn't make a double standard for their bs calls.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Both are equally bad, IMO. With all the injuries pilling up this season, if the NHL wants to cut this wreckless behaviour out, they need to start with a suspension on Ovechkin, IMO. Send a message. It's getting out of hand. Nobody has any respect on the ice anymore.
I'm just saying if Handzus didn't get suspended I don't see how the NHL can justify giving one to Ovechkin. But like they usually do the NHL doesn't need to justify any of their decisions.

That also because the NHL has such a double standard for suspensions. They spend a week talking about headshots and then during a game that week Moreau takes a forearm to teh mouth and everything is cool. I'm not using Oiler refferences to be a homer, that is probably just 90% of the hockey that I watch at least this season anyhow. This league is a joke when it comes to discipline.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Gusher

Quote:
Are you kidding me?

Maybe if the league didn't make a double standard for their bs calls.
I agree. Laraque made a similar hit a couple weeks ago and got 5 games for it. Will Ovechkin get anything? It's tough to say. He might because the NHL gave him a warning the last time, at least they should have, and he's only going to continue to do this sort of thing. He's layed questionable hits each season. Yes, the guy plays with an edge and that is great to see from a superstar but he shouldn't always be getting the superstar treatment when it comes to questionable hits such as the one on Gleason.

Very simliar hit as Laraque. Both opposing players tried to get out of the way and the hitter sticks out his leg to try and catch a piece of him. It's not neccessary with the risk involved. Time to send a message here.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Gusher

Quote:
I'm just saying if Handzus didn't get suspended I don't see how the NHL can justify giving one to Ovechkin. But like they usually do the NHL doesn't need to justify any of their decisions.

That also because the NHL has such a double standard for suspensions. They spend a week talking about headshots and then during a game that week Moreau takes a forearm to teh mouth and everything is cool. I'm not using Oiler refferences to be a homer, that is probably just 90% of the hockey that I watch at least this season anyhow. This league is a joke when it comes to discipline.
Agreed again. The doublestandards in the NHL are a joke. My Laraque to Ovechkin comparison in the other reply is a perfect example of this.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I agree. Laraque made a similar hit a couple weeks ago and got 5 games for it. Will Ovechkin get anything? It's tough to say. He might because the NHL gave him a warning the last time, at least they should have, and he's only going to continue to do this sort of thing. He's layed questionable hits each season. Yes, the guy plays with an edge and that is great to see from a superstar but he shouldn't always be getting the superstar treatment when it comes to questionable hits such as the one on Gleason.

Very simliar hit as Laraque. Both opposing players tried to get out of the way and the hitter sticks out his leg to try and catch a piece of him. It's not neccessary with the risk involved. Time to send a message here.
I still think it was reactionary, but ya just like a player should be in control of their stick they need to be in control of themselves and not make reactionary plays.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Agreed again. The doublestandards in the NHL are a joke. My Laraque to Ovechkin comparison in the other reply is a perfect example of this.
Ya but that is like the superstar treatment, we all know it happens. It's stupid but it's reality with professional sports.

But again I'm not trying to be an Oiler homer but why does a player like Handzus (not a scrub, but not a superstar) who ends the season of the Oilers star get nothing not even a fine. Not that a fine would do anything but at least you know the guys at the head office are at least seeing this garbage.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

Quote:
. Gleason wasn't even watching Ovechkin on the play.

Are you kidding me? he clearly wants to go up the boards see's a body and cuts across, his head looks down but his eyes see what was coming.

Not Robin Brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Muad'Dib

One more game misconduct and he receives an automatic one game suspension

Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:08 PM
badberry

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/11...spensions.html

According to this, no suspension.

badberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:20 PM
badberry

Spoke too soon...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=300686

They didn't follow the flowchart!

badberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

2 games, makes sense.

I don't think Ovechkin meant to hit him knee on knee. I think he purely was trying to get in his lane to make a hit on him, and his knee ended up leading.

You have to be accountable for your actions, I don't care if you intended to do it or not. Ovechkin was making a predatory play trying to take the man off the puck and ended up injuring him, possibly severely. He needs to suffer the consequences. And i'm glad that the NHL has suspended a superstar, all be it for only 2 games. Funny thing is that Ovi is day to day and a 2 game rest will be a good thing for him.

Its a step in the right direction.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:54 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Looks to me like a similar play, as stated earlier in here, where a guy goes to hit another guy and he turn last second. On this play OV had Gleason lined up and last second Gleason cuts to the middle and OV reacted and ya stuck his leg out.

Both are dirty plays. I don't think there's any denying that OV blatantly stuck his knee out, whether it was a subconscious reaction or not, and should be suspended for it.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote