HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Estimated Value of our Assets come Trade Deadline

Old
11-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Wickedness*

vCash: 500
Estimated Value of our Assets come Trade Deadline

ok, fast forward to the trade deadline.
we are in a re-build.

we want to ship out:

Souray
Gilbert
Comrie
Horcoff
Moreau
Pisani
Staios
Nilsson
Strudwick
Khabibulin

ok guys lets see what you think we have for value, assuming we wait until the market is hot hot hot.

Wickedness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:44 PM
chris11inter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedness View Post
we are in a re-build.

we want to ship out:

Souray
Gilbert
Comrie
Horcoff
Moreau
Pisani
Staios
Nilsson
Strudwick
Khabibulin

ok guys lets see what you think we have for value, assuming we wait until the market is hot hot hot.
Souray - Pretty good return- 1st round pick and top young prospect
Gilbert- 2nd or 3rd rounder
Comrie- 3rd or 4th rounder
Horcoff- Waivers
Moreau- 5th rounder
Pisani- Waivers
Staios- 3rd or 4th rounder
Nilsson- Waivers
Strudwick- Waivers/8th rounder
Khabibulin- Can we trade him at the deadline with freeagency?

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:45 PM
40oz

Didnt Comrie get a NMC?

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Wickedness*

you dont think a team like detroit who likes vets would be hot for a horcoff type?

Old
11-30-2009, 07:49 PM
McEwen

Not with his salary. I don't think they will have enough cap space.

McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:50 PM
OilerzFRLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
Souray - Pretty good return- 1st round pick and top young prospect
Gilbert- 2nd or 3rd rounder
Comrie- 3rd or 4th rounder
Horcoff- Waivers
Moreau- 5th rounder
Pisani- Waivers
Staios- 3rd or 4th rounder
Nilsson- Waivers
Strudwick- Waivers/8th rounder
Khabibulin- Can we trade him at the deadline with freeagency?
theres no way souray would get you a 1st rounder and a prospect. maybe a 1st rounder tops.

why would someone give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for mike comrie when he was available all summer and noone wanted him??? wats changed besides him getting mono????BAAAD

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Wickedness*

im pretty sure the oilers want some bodies back.
they are hit hard by injuries.

Old
11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
9GWG9

Souray - Should have sent him to LA for Frolov when we had the chance.
Gilbert
Comrie - Not going anywhere
Horcoff - See above
Moreau
Pisani
Staios
Nilsson
Strudwick
Khabibulin - 4 years was too long. Hmm....

Bold must go. Will miss Pisani and Strudwick

Edit: Thats like 13-14 Million. We could land Kovy with that kind of coin.

9GWG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
One Trick Pony*

Souray- 1st + Bottom-Six forward (Simmonds)
Gilbert- Overpaid contract + 2nd round pick(Kelly/Neil)
Comrie- 3rd round pick to a contender looking to add depth(Washington)
Horcoff- Unmovable
Moreau- 5th or 6th round pick
Nilsson- 3rd round pick from a team with cap space (Buffalo)
Pisani- 4th round pick from a team with cap space (Detroit)
Staios- Unmovable
Khabibulin- We can't move him

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:19 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
Souray- 1st + Bottom-Six forward (Simmonds)
Gilbert- Overpaid contract + 2nd round pick(Kelly/Neil)
Comrie- 3rd round pick to a contender looking to add depth(Washington)
Horcoff- Unmovable
Moreau- 5th or 6th round pick
Nilsson- 3rd round pick from a team with cap space (Buffalo)
Pisani- 4th round pick from a team with cap space (Detroit)
Staios- Unmovable
Khabibulin- We can't move him
Buffalo doesnt have enough cap room for Nilsson

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:20 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Souray. First round pick
Gilbert. Tough to move unless he picks up his play.
Comrie. 3rd round pick
Horcoff. Welcome to Edmonton
Moreau. Late pick but likely not moveable
Nilsson. Waived
Pisani. Will be no takers. Retires.
Staios. 4th round pick
Khabibulin. Only if a playoff bound team has lots of cap space. LA?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:25 PM
jadeddog

Souray - we won't trade him unless the return is too good to pass up
Gilbert - not sure what we'd get for him, but it would have to be pretty good
Comrie - doubt we'll trade him at all
Horcoff - nobody will want his ridiculous contract
Moreau - could be traded, but his large salary next year will dampen any interest - if we are able to unload him, i'd guess we could get a 2nd rounder for him
Pisani - is gone for the season in all likelihood, so won't be traded
Staios - another year with an overpayment of salary next season, also management seems to like him - i could see him being traded if they *don't* end up trading one of grebs/gilbert
Nilsson - can't see why anybody would want his salary which still has one year left on it after this one
Strudwick - could maybe get a 4th rounder for him
Khabibulin - not a chance in hell do we trade him

basically, i think people are going to be *massively* dissapointed if they expect a lot of movement at the trade deadline or in the offseason.... the players we need to get rid of all have contracts that any sane person would view as overpayments - in other words they aren't very good AND they are overpaid.... they have negative trade value in my eyes.... we're gonna have to ride out the moreau, staios and nilsson overpayments, and hopefully we'll bury at least one of them in the minors next season

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:47 PM
SuperUke99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Souray - we won't trade him unless the return is too good to pass up
Gilbert - not sure what we'd get for him, but it would have to be pretty good
Comrie - doubt we'll trade him at all
Horcoff - nobody will want his ridiculous contract
Moreau - could be traded, but his large salary next year will dampen any interest - if we are able to unload him, i'd guess we could get a 2nd rounder for him
Pisani - is gone for the season in all likelihood, so won't be traded
Staios - another year with an overpayment of salary next season, also management seems to like him - i could see him being traded if they *don't* end up trading one of grebs/gilbert
Nilsson - can't see why anybody would want his salary which still has one year left on it after this one
Strudwick - could maybe get a 4th rounder for him
Khabibulin - not a chance in hell do we trade him

basically, i think people are going to be *massively* dissapointed if they expect a lot of movement at the trade deadline or in the offseason.... the players we need to get rid of all have contracts that any sane person would view as overpayments - in other words they aren't very good AND they are overpaid.... they have negative trade value in my eyes.... we're gonna have to ride out the moreau, staios and nilsson overpayments, and hopefully we'll bury at least one of them in the minors next season
Very acurate imo. People are forgetting Cogliano though as he is still young enough to be packaged along with someone else above. He is probably in all likelyhood gone as we dont have a spot for him, Brule and Gagner and the latter 2 have outplayed him.

SuperUke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 08:56 PM
dashingsilverfox*

The best asset the Oilers have is Visnovsky and if they don't trade him they're stupid

Old
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
tiger_80

As much as I want to see them shed the vets, I am afraid the management still believes this team can put it together when everyone is healthy, meaning Souray and Visnovsky are not going at the deadline.

Gilbert--he won't be moved, not the type of contract you move at the deadline anyway. A million or so overpaid.
Comrie--an ideal rental. Makes little money and is UFA. Can potentially step into the top 6. Likely his trade value is not very high (3d-4th round pick or Reddox type prospect. I can see Ottawa being interested. Murray traded for him twice.

Horcoff--Oiler for life!
Moreau--I actually believe Moreau is tradeable, but likely the return will not be great. Perhaps, the Oilers will have to take back a smaller bad contract.
Pisani--done for the season by the sound of it.
Staios--I have a feeling Staios will retire an Oiler, although he's probably a lot more moveable than Moreau. A young team with cap space trying to make play-offs could use Staios. He's overpaid, but still a great bottom pairing veteran D-man who can step into the top 4 when injuries hit.

Nilsson--he'd have got traded by now if he was tradeable. Waiver wire.
Strudwick--his value is about as high as that of Cory Cross in his final year with the Oilers. Not sure why he's on this list.
Khabibulin--simply will not be moved.

I think Comrie, provided he's healthy, is the only one who will get traded. Maybe Moreau.

One player not on this list, who I think can get moved is Patrick O'Sullivan.
I'd say his value is around a 2nd round pick.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:11 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
The best asset the Oilers have is Visnovsky and if they don't trade him they're stupid
Yes, I think objectively they should only keep one of Visnovsky/Souray. Souray's skill set is in greater demand on this team. His value is also likely lower than Visnovsky.

There is a bunch of teams contending for the play-off spot right now, who could use a puck moving offensive d-man.--Buffalo, Columbus, Phoenex are some of the teams that come to mind.

If I were Tambellini, I'd see what I could get from those guys. Would be great to pluck a quality prospect +1st round pick from those guys.

Hanzal+1st, Turris+ 2nd, or Visnovsky for Michalek straight up would be great return.
Not to mention the cap space that could eventually be put to good use.

Old
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Yes, I think objectively they should only keep one of Visnovsky/Souray. Souray's skill set is in greater demand on this team. His value is also likely lower than Visnovsky.

There is a bunch of teams contending for the play-off spot right now, who could use a puck moving offensive d-man.--Buffalo, Columbus, Phoenex are some of the teams that come to mind.

If I were Tambellini, I'd see what I could get from those guys. Would be great to pluck a quality prospect +1st round pick from those guys.

Hanzal+1st, Turris+ 2nd, or Visnovsky for Michalek straight up would be great return.
Not to mention the cap space that could eventually be put to good use.
Exactly.

But I would move both.

Old
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
As much as I want to see them shed the vets, I am afraid the management still believes this team can put it together when everyone is healthy, meaning Souray and Visnovsky are not going at the deadline.
I wouldnt be surprised if they tried to add pieces. Either that or do nothing. I dont see them dismantling the team as long as Lowe is involved.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if they tried to add pieces. Either that or do nothing. I dont see them dismantling the team as long as Lowe is involved.
It's quite sad actually.

Old
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Exactly.

But I would move both.
I would too, but we know what Lowe and Tambellini are thinking. They will never do a full re-build. Maybe it's not necessary, but it is imperative to aquire impact players.

Finishing in the bottom 5 this year and adding Turris/Filatov via trade would go a long way. Then you have 5.6M freed from Visnovsky trade. Shed Nilsson, Moreau, O'Sullivan, Pisani and even with Horcoff and Souray in the line-up, you have 15M to adress this teams' holes--a goal scorer and a shut down d-man.

Who knows if rumors that Eric Staal is up for grabs for a top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man, I'd consider trading Gagner and Gilbert to get him, even with 8M cap hit.

If stars align, one could have something like this already next season. This is not including this year's top 5 pick.

Penner-Staal-Hemsky
MPS-Brule-Eberle
JFJ-Horcoff-Stone
X-X-Stortini (X-a pair of cheap vets)

Souray-Michalek
Grebeshkov-Smid
Staios-Peckham
Chorney

Old
11-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would too, but we know what Lowe and Tambellini are thinking. They will never do a full re-build. Maybe it's not necessary, but it is imperative to aquire impact players.

Finishing in the bottom 5 this year and adding Turris/Filatov via trade would go a long way. Then you have 5.6M freed from Visnovsky trade. Shed Nilsson, Moreau, O'Sullivan, Pisani and even with Horcoff and Souray in the line-up, you have 15M to adress this teams' holes--a goal scorer and a shut down d-man.

Who knows if rumors that Eric Staal is up for grabs for a top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man, I'd consider trading Gagner and Gilbert to get him, even with 8M cap hit.

If stars align, one could have something like this already next season. This is not including this year's top 5 pick.

Penner-Staal-Hemsky
MPS-Brule-Eberle
JFJ-Horcoff-Stone
X-X-Stortini (X-a pair of cheap vets)

Souray-Michalek
Grebeshkov-Smid
Staios-Peckham
Chorney
Is it realistic for MPS to make the team next year?

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Shizuka

This is going to be pretty hard to gauge, considering value is relative and will be affected by what happens between now and the deadline.

That being said: I feel fairly confident in thinking Nilsson, regardless of how he plays in the vacuum created by Hemsky's loss, will be gone. Comrie will stay if only because his contract comes off the books anyways at the end of the season. Horcoff's albatross contract will dictate he stays. Pisani's ongoing struggle with colitis may well end his career.

Souray - will probably go, depending on the return. Probably best to trade him this season as I'm expecting his perceived value will only go down from this point. Either a young roster player and pick, or roster player + prospect.

Moreau - perhaps some team will find a need for a serviceable veteran, but I also agree with others here in that the return will be pretty low. 4th round pick.

Staios - he actually might stay, if only because you can't completely throw the kids on D to the wolves. Stable, effective 6th man when limiting his minutes to the 18-22 range.

Strudwick - contract off the books after the end of the season as well, if I'm not mistaken. He's been ok in providing some grit, but he is slow and is one of our giveaway leaders on D I believe. Unlikely to find any takers.

Khabibulin - not going anywhere; his contract is one or two years too long for most teams I'd guess, but that is why he signed here in the first place -- our GM was the only one to offer that length.

Gilbert - will be tough to move, as others have said. His trade value was relatively high in the off-season, which would have been an ideal time to move him. Unfortunately, with his atrocious, soft play he'll not amount to near as much in return unless he has some crazy turnaround in point production (he might hit 30 points if he regains some confidence, but not enough compete there...). If Tambellini is lucky, a middling prospect or a decent 2nd round pick.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Lessy

Players with big tickets like Souray and Gilbert for example aren't being moved for just draft picks. There's going to be close to equal salary coming back. I also think the value of some of our guys that have been here for a while is being underestimated, notably Moreau and Staios, and potentially Pisani (depending on his health). Pisani's a pending UFA and if he's healthy it wouldn't surprise me to see a contender give up a late 2nd for him given the fact that he had that monster playoff and is a reliable defensive forward and PKer. With Moreau it wouldn't surprise me to see a 2nd or late 3rd coming back either and Staios is in that ballpark as well. I also think we're overrating Souray's value... I like the guy but he's not bringing back a 1st and an elite prospect...

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
we are in a re-build.

we want to ship out:

Souray
Gilbert
Comrie
Horcoff
Moreau
Pisani
Staios
Nilsson
Strudwick
Khabibulin

Souray - depends on which teams have cap room to add his salary. you would need to take back probably 3 million or so of salary in return. If you can get that, should get a solid prospect and a pick.

Gilbert - doubtful you can move him. $4 million for him is too much for another 4 seasons.

Comrie - at best 3rd round pick I would think, for a team adding depth for the playoffs

Horcoff - no chance given his cap hit of 5.5 million for another 3 or 4 years plus poor play

Moreau - similar to Comrie value only in that Moreau has 1 more year left a 2 million, which might be too much for a contending team to take on for a 3rd line checker next season.

Pisani - is he going to be healthy?

Staios - solid prospect and pick. 1 more year left but would be a good 3/4 dman for a contending team.

Nilsson - 1 more year at 1.67 cap hit. Teams adding players at the deadline ususally want vets for the stretch drive.

Strudwick - late pick

Khabibulin - too risky for a team to take on. That retirement thing and cap hit would be a major issue. contenders can't afford to carry dead cap money.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Girth

Quote:
we are in a re-build.

we want to ship out:

Souray
Gilbert
Comrie
Horcoff
Moreau
Pisani
Staios
Nilsson
Strudwick
Khabibulin

IMO Gilbert would still fetch the best return. He is sucking a bit, but someone will be willing to take a chance on a semi-young puck mover.

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote