HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Estimated Value of our Assets come Trade Deadline

Old
12-01-2009, 07:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil_in_Blood View Post
IMO Gilbert would still fetch the best return. He is sucking a bit, but someone will be willing to take a chance on a semi-young puck mover.
He has five points in twenty seven games. He is softer than a bag of marshmallows. We would have better luck moving Horcoff imo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He has five points in twenty seven games. He is softer than a bag of marshmallows. We would have better luck moving Horcoff imo.
Luckily, unlike some internet fans, GM's generally see the 'whole' or 'big' picture, not just part of a season.
Gilbert had a rough start to the year but actually has played better the last 5 games or so. Not much for points but his defensive game, for those that have been watching, has picked up. His positioning is better and (I know the haters don't like to hear it and try to ignore any good plays) he actually has made a couple of hits the last few games. Nothing earth-shattering but taking a few forwards out along the boards and clearing the net a couple of times. If he continues he'll salvage his season. I'm not a huge Gilbert fan but I'm open enough to see what's happening on the ice without prejudice.
I agree with Oil_in_Blood, I think he'll get you a decent return when and if management ever decides to trade him.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:19 AM
hemskysuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Luckily, unlike some internet fans, GM's generally see the 'whole' or 'big' picture, not just part of a season.
Gilbert had a rough start to the year but actually has played better the last 5 games or so. Not much for points but his defensive game, for those that have been watching, has picked up. His positioning is better and (I know the haters don't like to hear it and try to ignore any good plays) he actually has made a couple of hits the last few games. Nothing earth-shattering but taking a few forwards out along the boards and clearing the net a couple of times. If he continues he'll salvage his season. I'm not a huge Gilbert fan but I'm open enough to see what's happening on the ice without prejudice.
I agree with Oil_in_Blood, I think he'll get you a decent return when and if management ever decides to trade him.
Yes I find it funnny too how people are judging what a player's value will be in 3 months' time based on nothing between now and 3 months' time from now. Why does Comrie having mono lower his value? why does Gilbert's slow start lower it, when he broke the goal scoring record as a rookie for Oiler defensemen? Why wouldn't Souray garner more than a 1st rounder when he is locked in to a contract for a few more years AFTEr this season?

Just because the oilers collectively suck righ tnow does not mean that all 29 other GMs think that each individual player sucks and cannot help their team.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
oilymion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
I dunno if the market for puck-moving defensemen of Gilbert's type is really all that high though. Christian Ehrhoff is a fairly similar player, and he netted Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi. Yeah.

I think the best scenario for trading Gilbert would be as part of a larger deal for a younger player with skills more suited to the Oilers needs (similar to Kuba being traded by Tampa to Ottawa along with a 1st for Meszaros).

I don't think his contract is an issue, $4M for a top four defenseman of his abilities is not an albatross by any stretch.

oilymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:33 AM
johnM

value of assets

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
Souray- 1st + Bottom-Six forward (Simmonds)
Gilbert- Overpaid contract + 2nd round pick(Kelly/Neil)
Comrie- 3rd round pick to a contender looking to add depth(Washington)
Horcoff- Unmovable
Moreau- 5th or 6th round pick
Nilsson- 3rd round pick from a team with cap space (Buffalo)
Pisani- 4th round pick from a team with cap space (Detroit)
Staios- Unmovable
Khabibulin- We can't move him
Sorray- I think he still has a no trade until July 1/2010
Gilbert- probably not going anywhere. Although believe either him or Greb will be gone
Comrie- 3rd round pick
Horcoff- Has no trade clause
Moreau- 3-4th
Nilsson- 5th not much value to anyone other than an injury replacement but seeing he has another year of contract most likely going nowhere
Pisani- 2-3rd if healthy clubs like Boston, SJ, Philly would take him. Proven playoff performer
Staios- 4th maybe more to the right team like Washington or SJ. Teams like to load up on defense if they think they can go deep into the playoffs
Khabibulin- No trade clause

johnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Souray - we won't trade him unless the return is too good to pass up
Gilbert - not sure what we'd get for him, but it would have to be pretty good
Comrie - doubt we'll trade him at all
Horcoff - nobody will want his ridiculous contract
Moreau - could be traded, but his large salary next year will dampen any interest - if we are able to unload him, i'd guess we could get a 2nd rounder for him
Pisani - is gone for the season in all likelihood, so won't be traded
Staios - another year with an overpayment of salary next season, also management seems to like him - i could see him being traded if they *don't* end up trading one of grebs/gilbert
Nilsson - can't see why anybody would want his salary which still has one year left on it after this one
Strudwick - could maybe get a 4th rounder for him
Khabibulin - not a chance in hell do we trade him

basically, i think people are going to be *massively* dissapointed if they expect a lot of movement at the trade deadline or in the offseason.... the players we need to get rid of all have contracts that any sane person would view as overpayments - in other words they aren't very good AND they are overpaid.... they have negative trade value in my eyes.... we're gonna have to ride out the moreau, staios and nilsson overpayments, and hopefully we'll bury at least one of them in the minors next season

I agree with this, i hope people aren't expecting that the Oilers will be able to dump these contracts this year.... More than ever, teams are weary of taking on bad contracts so it's going to be tough to move a lot of these guys so i say.....

Comrie - 3rd-4th Round Pick
Staios - 4th-5th Round Pick
Moreau - maybe to a team like the Sharks who need grit
Souray - Maybe in the offseason but his salary is too big for a lot of contenders to take on at the deadline
Gilbert - Again, maybe in the offseason but not at the deadline unless the return is too good to pass up which it won't be since his value has depreciated
Horcoff - LOL Please He's an Oiler for life
Pisani - Not healthy enough to move
Nilsson - Nobody needs Nilsson (esp. at $2 mil) for a playoff push
Strudwick - Maybe for a low round pick
Khabi - He'll be an Oiler for the next four years (or at least be paid by the Oilers)

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilymion View Post
I dunno if the market for puck-moving defensemen of Gilbert's type is really all that high though. Christian Ehrhoff is a fairly similar player, and he netted Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi. Yeah.
That was a very different situation.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Beerfish

Horcoff and Khabibulin are flat out untradeable.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 723
Well as I have stated before

my list starts with

Souray
Lubor
Gilbert
Horcoff
Penner

Horcoff is untradable

I think Souray and Lubor could get you a first rounder and a top prospect. Gilbert second and a prospect
Penner is the wild card

after that Moreua for a mid round pick

Pisani is injured and might be untradable due to his situation

Obviously being in favour of a full rebuild and shedding some big money contracts(I don't see the logic for a team sitting around 26th overall having a top 8 payroll)

Obviously Comrie when he comes back will be showcased.

I would like Gagner, Brule, Smid, POS and Cogliano kept--but it is not a deal breaker though

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote