HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton Oilers Books

Old
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Edmonton Oilers Books

Are there any good Edmonton Oilers Books that will tell stories about the team and it's players?

A buddy of mine is a big oil fan and I want to get him a goof Oilers book for being the godfather to my lil fella

thanks

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
The Boys on the Bus.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
A real good book that I read was called Champions. It was written by Stan Fischler and I believe Kevin Lowe helped. However, I'm not sure if that book is still available.

12-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
A real good book that I read was called Champions. It was written by Stan Fischler and I believe Kevin Lowe helped. However, I'm not sure if that book is still available.
This is the book I was thinking about. Yes, it is quite good with lots of little behind the scenes tidbits by the dynasty day Oilers.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:13 AM
willyjagr

Send a message via MSN to willyjagr
I would say that the best Oilers book you could get would be The game of our lives by Peter Gzowski. This is pre dynasty era but even still it is a really good book.

willyjagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:35 AM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyjagr View Post
I would say that the best Oilers book you could get would be The game of our lives by Peter Gzowski. This is pre dynasty era but even still it is a really good book.
This, although if your buddy really is a big Oilers fan, he's probably read it. Champions is worth digging for in second-hand stores or online.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
This is definitely the best written and interesting account of the Oilers following the young players through one complete season culminating in the monumental playoff upset of the Montreal Canadiens and then the spirited enthusiasm of the following Islander's series.

Part of the reason the book is fascinating is that year was so riveting. The year the team first foreshadowed the great things to come.

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high." Was the Habs motto unknowingly passed on to the Oilers that year.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is definitely the best written and interesting account of the Oilers following the young players through one complete season culminating in the monumental playoff upset of the Montreal Canadiens and then the spirited enthusiasm of the following Islander's series.

Part of the reason the book is fascinating is that year was so riveting. The year the team first foreshadowed the great things to come.

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high." Was the Habs motto unknowingly passed on to the Oilers that year.
My wife found a signed copy of that book at a local garage sale this summer. I've just started reading it. Peter Gzowski was an amazing author. I miss listening to him on the radio too.

My recommendation would be Looking Out for Number ONE, by Dave Semenko. It's a great read and the forward by Gretzky details just how important Semenko was to 99 and his career.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Shibumi

Quote:
I agree with this post. It is a great book with insight into the early years of the Oilers.

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
mcote97

I'm in a real negative mood today! Screw a Oilers book get him "Sex, lies and headlocks" its the untold story of Vince McMahon, even if you don't like the wwe its a great read!

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
thanks for the insights guys

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:32 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
My wife found a signed copy of that book at a local garage sale this summer. I've just started reading it. Peter Gzowski was an amazing author. I miss listening to him on the radio too.

My recommendation would be Looking Out for Number ONE, by Dave Semenko. It's a great read and the forward by Gretzky details just how important Semenko was to 99 and his career.
I think you'll find that The Game of Our Lives (still the best Oiler book out there IMO) far surpasses the bitter-toned and disorganized mess the Semenko book turned out to be.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I think you'll find that The Game of Our Lives (still the best Oiler book out there IMO) far surpasses the bitter-toned and disorganized mess the Semenko book turned out to be.
I just finished it last night. What a book, and yes, it's better than Semenko's.

I've been a huge Semenko fan since I watched him play in the WHA, that's why I liked his book so much.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Best hockey book I've ever read, and I have read tons of em. I've worn out three copies over the years.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
I just finished it last night. What a book, and yes, it's better than Semenko's.

I've been a huge Semenko fan since I watched him play in the WHA, that's why I liked his book so much.
I loved Sammy as a player too. It's not his fault that the book wasn't great. His ghostwriter (former Sun columnist Larry Tucker) certainly didn't do him any favours.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote