HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Klesla out 4 to 6 weeks

Old
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
While I agree with you that Klesla's season may very well be done, does that really make it time to start selling up the river to build a team for a season in which they will be middle of the pack?
What is this? A voice of reason in the wilderness that is our board? Very unconventional of you. Pull up a seat, stay awhile.

ScreamingWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingWild View Post
What is this? A voice of reason in the wilderness that is our board? Very unconventional of you. Pull up a seat, stay awhile.
Imagine that!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:45 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
If he has to have surgery on both, i'd have to say that pretty much scraps this season for him. That will take some serious recovery time and if he's out for a long time, he'll never get back to game shape by the end of the season. Start working the phone Howson, you've got yourself the top prospect in the NHL that your coach cant coach, might as well see what worth he's got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
While I agree with you that Klesla's season may very well be done, does that really make it time to start selling up the river to build a team for a season in which they will be middle of the pack?
Don't think Nut was saying scrap the BLUE Jackets season, just Rusty's.
And Nut is right...this could be a long recovery. We'll know in a few weeks.

He was widely considered "tradeable" the last two seasons. Not saying we should, but it does make SOME sense to consider trading him to a non-playoff-bound team when he comes off the IR, -if we have needs in other areas, and have adequately filled his spot on the defense.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:46 AM
CBJCougar

Why would we think about trading a man who is, arguably, our best defenseman?? The man, recently described as the heart and soul of the team??

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:03 AM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

I guess I'm confused because BluejacketNut was referencing trading Filatov, not Klesla. BluejacketNut and GoChiefsGo both make good points. BluejacketNut points out that Hitchcock "might" not be able to coach Filatov, (with which I agree wholeheartedly). If Howson is inclined to agree then Filatov's value as trade bait has to be considered. (I believe that value is pretty low right now.)

GoChiefsGo make the excellent point that this team will not be better than middle of the pack. That is cold, hard truth spread corner to corner on toast. Now, if Howson believes that Filatov is still of high potential value for the Jackets, why trade him for a mid-range defenseman? That will solve nothing with the team for this season. I'm not convinced a #1 defenseman would do more than keep us in playoff contention. (Contention equaling 7th or 8th spot but not a contender for conference finals.)

I would also buffer talk of trading Rusty with the fact that he was just given a new four year contract and is a Hitchcock go-to guy. I just don't see him being traded.

In my opinion trading Klesla or Filatov at this point would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater... so to speak.

(I do see the possibility of a forward or two being moved if an adequate d-man and accepting trade partner can be found.)

Last edited by ScreamingWild: 12-03-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old
12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Why would we think about trading a man who is, arguably, our best defenseman?? The man, recently described as the heart and soul of the team??
I have to second this question/statement. I think Rusty is in our long term plans. he was our best player in the brief playoff stint, he brings it every night, plays hard through pain and injury and is key voice in the locker room by many reports. And as Hitch has pointed out, he does the things that only the guys in the locker room notice - things that nobody else wants or is willing to do.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:52 AM
BluejacketNut

Yes, I was referencing trading Filatov for a replacement for Rusty (not that I want to trade Filatov, but I think he's really the only asset we have to get NHL talent short of picks and I really dont think he'll ever be coming back to play for Hitch, which sucks cause I still want Filatov's talent on this team). Certainly not giving up on the season yet, quite the contrary, im saying we need to replace Rusty since this could be lengthy and if we expect to continue to compete for a playoff spot, we need to replace those minutes and Filatov is really the only trade bait that I see us having since subtracting from the roster to replace is kinda counter productive.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:04 AM
blahblah

Quote:
GoChiefsGo make the excellent point that this team will not be better than middle of the pack. That is cold, hard truth spread corner to corner on toast.
Talk to us again at the end of December. I tend to think this team is a work in progress and I'm not sure where the ceiling is. We should have a better idea at the end of this month. I guess it also depends on what you mean by the middle of the pack. I think we easily could fight for the 5 or 6 seed and build some seperation.

Quote:
I would also buffer talk of trading Rusty with the fact that he was just given a new four year contract and is a Hitchcock go-to guy. I just don't see him being traded.
Why on earth would anyone think we could even trade Klesla? It's not even a converstation worth having. Any real trade value just went down the drain.

Quote:
In my opinion trading Klesla or Filatov at this point would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater... so to speak.
I'll let Howson deal with Filatov however he likes. He has more information then all of us, including a more realistic view then the fans on how Hitch and Filatov might get along in the future.

Quote:
(I do see the possibility of a forward or two being moved if an adequate d-man and accepting trade partner can be found.)
Who? Boll? Which forward are we willing to give up that anyone would want? And then what would that foward get in return? I've seen us wanting to trade a forward for a long time, doesn't mean there's a realistic chance of it happening. At least last year I could see a couple of teams possibly willing to take a chance on Leclaire.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

blahblah...

Did you completely miss the inclusion of "in my opinion" and the little word "if"?

I did not suggest trading Klesla. I did not suggest or oppose trading Filatov but did, clearly, state that Howson would have the decision of Filatov's value to this team.

As far as moving a forward, don't act as if I'm the first person on this board to make such an assumption. Pretty much every name on our roster has been tossed around at some point in time up to and including the sporadic, emphatic suggestions to, "Trade Nash's fat a**". I believe that this, too, is an area where we will all defer to Scott Howson's determination of player value.

Old
12-03-2009, 02:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Did you completely miss the inclusion of "in my opinion" and the little word "if"?
It's all opinion. Mine, yours, the boards.

Quote:
I did not suggest trading Klesla. I did not suggest or oppose trading Filatov but did, clearly, state that Howson would have the decision of Filatov's value to this team.
Who said you did? I was surprised anyone is even entertaining moving Klesla as an option. My comments on Filatov was based on the opinion that trading Filatov was throwing out the baby with the bath water. I don't think that's a fair statement with the amount of information we have at this point.

Quote:
As far as moving a forward, don't act as if I'm the first person on this board to make such an assumption. Pretty much every name on our roster has been tossed around at some point in time up to and including the sporadic, emphatic suggestions to, "Trade Nash's fat a**". I believe that this, too, is an area where we will all defer to Scott Howson's determination of player value.
Not sure what this really means in the context of my response to be honest. I basically asked you to defend the posistion of us being able to move a forward. Nothing more, nothing less. I thought maybe you had a good answer. Guess not. No one has to this point.

The point? We have very limited options. We can't add much salary. We have very few assets we want to move that anyone wants. The blanket statement of "moving a forward" doesn't stand up to any real analysis. At least what I've seen to this point. I'm hoping someone will change my mind. I doubt moving Filatov get us what we want/need.

Old
12-03-2009, 03:04 PM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

Picking apart my posts, line by line, is, well, just plain picky. But whatever. Curiously we are pretty much in agreement, with the exception of your understanding of my baby/bathwater analogy, so why are you taking such an argumentative stance with my opinions?

To be specifically clear, I do not favour trading Klesla. He has much value to this team. I base that statement on my own gut feelings and the words/actions of both Scott Howson and Ken Hitchcock.

Filatov's value at this point is unknown to everyone except perhaps Scott Howson. Even he cannot be 100% positve that Filatov will ever return to the NHL. I would assume the remaining 29 GMs, having less information on him, would consider any trade involving Filatov a considerable risk. I agree with you that currently Filatov would not be likely to gain the Jackets much in a trade scenario.

I don't believe that Howson could trade Filatov, straight up, for a defenseman equal to or exceeding Klesla's value to the team.

Old
12-03-2009, 03:32 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Picking apart my posts, line by line, is, well, just plain picky. But whatever. Curiously we are pretty much in agreement, with the exception of your understanding of my baby/bathwater analogy, so why are you taking such an argumentative stance with my opinions?
Somewhat. Point/Counter Point is not being "picky". I'm not sure what issue you had with my "understanding" of your analogy. It's a fairly common phrase.

Comments like the below is what sparks debate. At least with me.

Quote:
this team will not be better than middle of the pack. That is cold, hard truth
I find this statement quite debatable and generally challenge opinions that people attempt to morph into something that sounds like fact. I asked you to clarify and gave you a chance to explain what you meant by "middle of the pack".

Quote:
To be specifically clear, I do not favour trading Klesla. He has much value to this team.
Never said you were. You keep coming back to this and I don't know why. I have been discussing tradeability and you keep discussing the desire (or lack of) to trade Klesla.

It doesn't matter if you favor moving Klesla or not, it's most likely not going to happen unless you want to take on a bad contract. You want DiPietro? We could probably snag him for Klesla right about now.

Some team(s) might be willing to take a chance on him returning to form in time to help them this year, but they also need the cap room and want him for another 3 years after.

Old
12-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Definately a tough break. Klesla has been our best defensemen, and highly doubt that he'll be traded due to Hitchcock's apparent view on him and his new contract. It's unfortunate, because he was playing the best hockey of his career.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

To lay it on the line - if Howson has even the slightest inkling that Filatov will be a Jacket again next season, forget about his name in trade talks. He might be the top drafted forward not currently in the NHL.

If Howson does decide to trade him, the price needs to be MUCH higher than a Fedor Tyutin-type player; Filatov doesn't quite have us by our preverbial marbles just yet (not like Zherdev did). We should be thinking full value, a strong #1 defenseman if we are moving a player like that.

Personally, I say give him a year in Russia to see how much he misses the US and hope next year he comes crawling back, a year older and wiser. Don't give up on him just yet.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:31 PM
CzechMate93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
Definately a tough break. Klesla has been our best defensemen, and highly doubt that he'll be traded due to Hitchcock's apparent view on him and his new contract. It's unfortunate, because he was playing the best hockey of his career.
Not that he's reading this, but...
GET WELL SOON, RUSTY!!! Here's to a successful surgery tomorrow and that you'll be feeling better soon. When you're ready, we are looking forward to you getting back in the lineup! (we need you!)
I can't wait to hear that the surgery went well.

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:27 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJalltheway View Post
Not that he's reading this, but...
GET WELL SOON, RUSTY!!! Here's to a successful surgery tomorrow and that you'll be feeling better soon. When you're ready, we are looking forward to you getting back in the lineup! (we need you!)
I can't wait to hear that the surgery went well.
I second this whole heartedly.

Old
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
CzechMate93

I'm relieved to hear that Rusty's surgery was a success. I am anxious to find out more though - whether they repaired the groin, too. Here's to a speedy recovery. I can't imagine how much pain he must have been in and is in.

Old
12-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Klesla is needed for any reasonable chance of making the playoffs-recover soon Rusty.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
frito

Update from Puck-rakers

From Puck-Rakers today:
Quote:
Caught up to D Rostislav Klesla today. He's limping pretty good, but is walking one mile a day -- per doctor's orders -- and appears in good spirits. We'll have an update in Tuesday's Dispatch. Klesla said the post-surgery was almost as bad as the injury, calling the day after surgery "the worst day of my life." He's been told 6 to 8 weeks.
Wow, i can't even begin to imagine how painful that was/is especially after hearing his screems of pain from the ice. This is a guy who has withstood a LOT of pain and keeps coming back from more. Hope he at least begins to feel better/less pain free soon.

Old
12-07-2009, 02:18 PM
BluejacketNut

Did they ever say if he needed surgery for the groin? I remember them saying that when they did the stomach surgery it would be determined at that time if the other operation needed to be done, but hadnt heard

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
frito

I haven't heard.

Old
12-07-2009, 03:43 PM
CzechMate93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Did they ever say if he needed surgery for the groin? I remember them saying that when they did the stomach surgery it would be determined at that time if the other operation needed to be done, but hadnt heard
There hasnt been much info on the surgery, except that it was a success. There will be a piece in tomorrow's paper about him though, so we should know more tomorrow.

Poor guy - he's a warrior alright!

Old
12-31-2009, 09:06 PM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

Quote:
GoChiefsGo make the excellent point that this team will not be better than middle of the pack. That is cold, hard truth spread corner to corner on toast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Talk to us again at the end of December. I tend to think this team is a work in progress and I'm not sure where the ceiling is. We should have a better idea at the end of this month. I guess it also depends on what you mean by the middle of the pack. I think we easily could fight for the 5 or 6 seed and build some seperation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Comments like the below is what sparks debate. At least with me.

Quote:
this team will not be better than middle of the pack. That is cold, hard truth
I find this statement quite debatable and generally challenge opinions that people attempt to morph into something that sounds like fact. I asked you to clarify and gave you a chance to explain what you meant by "middle of the pack".
Alright. Let's talk.

You obviously didn't like what I had to say. I was optimistic enough to allow that the team might be "middle of the pack". Ha! You want clarity??? 2-9-5 in the month of December is not "middle of the pack" that's pretty much ass-end of the mule! Unlike you, it didn't take me until the end of the month to see where this was headed. Looks like my opinion morphed into fact, eh?

COLD. HARD. TRUTH.

Old
01-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Well that said, what's the good word on Rusty these days, anyway?

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:21 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Well that said, what's the good word on Rusty these days, anyway?
Last I heard, Rusty was walking without a limp, back skating with the other players on IR, not with the team yet, and seen at Nationwide supporting his team. Targetted date of return is February but wouldn't be surprised to not see him until after the Olympics.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote