HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just look how this could Pan out!!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Cuiff

vCash: 500
Just look how this could Pan out!!!

Flyers (3) over NJ (6) in 5 games (I Hope)
TB (1) over NYI (8) in 5 or 6 games
Bos (2) over Mon (7) in 5 or 6 games
Tor (5) over Ott (4) in 7 games

Flyers face Bos in the 2nd round (Boston does not scare me one bit)
TB and Tor battle it out in the 2nd round but TB wins in 7 games

TB will be so beaten up by the Tor series that a match up against the Flyers in the ECF will be too much.

We need to back Tor in the Ott series and back them hard. If this is how things pan out, I will have to back off my second round out prediction for the Flyers and put then right in the cup finals!

Last edited by Cuiff: 04-15-2004 at 09:10 AM.
Old
04-15-2004, 09:08 AM
MojoJojo

Boston is going to be a pretty tough series too you know. They have all the ingredients of a champion club, with no weaknesses at any position. Obviously I would rather have them than Toronto, but I would LOVE to face Ottawa after a grueling 7 game series Vs the Leafs.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I would LOVE to face Ottawa after a grueling 7 game series Vs the Leafs.

Won't happen. TB faces the winner of that series. That is why we want Tor to win. Let them ware down TB for us!

Old
04-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Boston is going to be a pretty tough series too you know. They have all the ingredients of a champion club, with no weaknesses at any position. Obviously I would rather have them than Toronto, but I would LOVE to face Ottawa after a grueling 7 game series Vs the Leafs.
The flyers have matched up well with Boston this year. Their defensemen are big and slow. They only have one really effective line. They are what the flyers were several years ago, you shut down their one line and you win. I would rather face them than probably any team left in the eastern conference. I think the flyers match up very well against them.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:18 AM
paxtang

Boston has two lines now.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
...random analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger
The flyers have matched up well with Boston this year. Their defensemen are big and slow. They only have one really effective line. They are what the flyers were several years ago, you shut down their one line and you win. I would rather face them than probably any team left in the eastern conference. I think the flyers match up very well against them.
i agree with ya on that...very well said that Boston is what the Flyers were a few years ago. That is right on to me too...good and almost great but against the wrong matchup and they are ineffective.

i think Raycroft is giving them something extra that Philly never had, however, it will be different for him against Philly than Montreal. So that will be interesting to see.

Philly is a weird mix of players this season. I am impressed that they are keeping up with NJ's speed. They aren't negating it or anything, but they aren't getting blown away by it either, which is what i feared. Although, i still feel the potential for NJ to push things to game 7...PLEASE NO!

Go philly, they have played decent, especially Esche.

Last edited by AGraveOne: 04-15-2004 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old
04-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Boston has two lines now.

it's a myth..

and we DO NOT have a goalie either.
don't believe all this Calder crap.
And we still don't have any puck moving defenseman..

yeah...yeah...that's the ticket...

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Teezax

I agree, I think a matchup with Boston would be good for us. The Primeau line covers the Thornton line, while the Handzus line takes the Nylander line and that leaves The Roenick line to do the scoring. We beat them on depth.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:42 AM
blah

I don't like our dmen against the Thornton line and faster players like Bergeron-Samsonov give the Flyers trouble. I'm hoping whichever team that faces the Flyers plays 7 games in the first round, and the Flyers wrap the Debs up in 5. The Flyers need the practice time.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:59 AM
o-dog

I think Philly is too strong for the Bruins. Nylander and Gonchar make them a far better team, but the Flyers can roll out 4 very good lines.

I'm hoping that after a really exciting (but short) series with Tampa that Ottawa and Philly could meet again. We just keep raising the stakes every year by the round#. And in spite of whatever hex the Flyers think the Sens have on them, my belief is that the Flyers are the real team to get through in the east. Not Toronto, not Jersey, not Tampa. It would be a great series

Old
04-15-2004, 10:34 AM
sinisalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli

TB will be so beaten up by the Tor series that a match up against the Flyers in the ECF will be too much.

We need to back Tor in the Ott series and back them hard. If this is how things pan out, I will have to back off my second round out prediction for the Flyers and put then right in the cup finals!
Are you the second coming of Nostradamus?????

Old
04-15-2004, 10:44 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I don't like our dmen against the Thornton line and faster players like Bergeron-Samsonov give the Flyers trouble. I'm hoping whichever team that faces the Flyers plays 7 games in the first round, and the Flyers wrap the Debs up in 5. The Flyers need the practice time.
if preems keeps playing as he has so far, his line could make thornton very frustrated and ultimately cause boston to lose due to bad penalties (a thornton speciality) and give the flyers pp lots of ice time.

regardless, a bruinsvs flyers matchup would be a great series.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:

Why back Toronto?

Personally I think we would have an easier time with Ottaw rather then Toronto. Have you seen the way Belfour is playing. Sure they are an old team (so are we for that matter) but the ooze leadership (Sundin, Roberts, Nieuwendyke, Francis, Nolan, Leetch). Bottom line is I am not scared of Ottawa especially the way Esche is playing and If I had the choice I would rather face Lalime then Belfour.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Dr Love

I want the Bruins. I just don't seem them as a legitimate Cup threat. Their best player has a valid rep for not showing up against top teams, and on top of that he's hurt. Their defense is highly suspect, no one there really scares me (on the defensive side). It's pretty average. However with Gonchar and Boyton they can really move the puck. If Thornton doesn't play well, then Primeau can work against the Nylander line. The Flyers have a better defense both overall, forwards only, and defensemen only; they have more scoring depth, and they have a much, much better coach. The only places the Bruins have an edge in is top line scoring and goalie. And even then it's not a wide margin. The matchups are favorable all around.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
it's a myth..

and we DO NOT have a goalie either.
don't believe all this Calder crap.
And we still don't have any puck moving defenseman..

yeah...yeah...that's the ticket...

The b's are alot more solid of a hockey club then people give them credit for. Thier defense is built for the playoffs, your scoring lines are good, great checking line and Raycroft has been excellent all year.

I'll give Boston Credit but that being said I would rather face them over TO, Ott or TB

Old
04-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I want the Bruins. I just don't seem them as a legitimate Cup threat. Their best player has a valid rep for not showing up against top teams, and on top of that he's hurt. Their defense is highly suspect, no one there really scares me (on the defensive side). It's pretty average. However with Gonchar and Boyton they can really move the puck. If Thornton doesn't play well, then Primeau can work against the Nylander line. The Flyers have a better defense both overall, forwards only, and defensemen only; they have more scoring depth, and they have a much, much better coach. The only places the Bruins have an edge in is top line scoring and goalie. And even then it's not a wide margin. The matchups are favorable all around.
Thier Defense is suspect? No way I think they have one of the more underrated defenses in the league. They are big and strong and will make opposing forwards pay with thier physical play and they also have arguably the best offensive dman in the game today.

Last edited by Coburnfan05: 04-16-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Old
04-15-2004, 11:56 AM
08Neely
Blades of Steel

I would love to reply here and get into the debate but......

And I think many of you will agree here

Last year

Avs up 3-1 over the Wild in round 1 - Lost in 7
Blues up 3-1 over the Canucks in round 1 - Lost in 7
Canucks up 3-1 over the Wild in Round 2 - Lost in 7

I've watched hockey too long to start looking ahead too far

Montreal still scares the crap outta me, they have played well.

Brodeur should still scare you guys too, he can get hot.

Good luck guys - hope you do it this week

Old
04-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Neely
I would love to reply here and get into the debate but......

And I think many of you will agree here

Last year

Avs up 3-1 over the Wild in round 1 - Lost in 7
Blues up 3-1 over the Canucks in round 1 - Lost in 7
Canucks up 3-1 over the Wild in Round 2 - Lost in 7

I've watched hockey too long to start looking ahead too far

Montreal still scares the crap outta me, they have played well.

Brodeur should still scare you guys too, he can get hot.

Good luck guys - hope you do it this week
My thoughts exactly... Ya need 4 wins

Old
04-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Why back Toronto?

Personally I think we would have an easier time with Ottaw rather then Toronto. Have you seen the way Belfour is playing. Sure they are an old team (so are we for that matter) but the ooze leadership (Sundin, Roberts, Nieuwendyke, Francis, Nolan, Leetch). Bottom line is I am not scared of Ottawa especially the way Esche is playing and If I had the choice I would rather face Lalime then Belfour.
I don't think you understand. The winner of the Ott/Tor series faces TB. If TB and Tor do battle, TB will win but they will also get beat on physically and will have nothing left for the ECF vs the Flyers (as stated before, Bos does not scare me). If Ott wins the Ott/Tor series than I can see TB going right through them and being well rested to take us apart.

Last edited by Cuiff: 04-15-2004 at 12:17 PM.
Old
04-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
I don't think you understand. The winner of the Ott/Tor series faces TB. If TB and Tor do battle, TB will win but they will also get beat on physically and will have nothing left for the ECF vs the Flyers (as stated before, Bos does not scare me). If Ott wins the Ott/Tor series than I can see TB going right through them and being well rested to take us apart.
Ottawa is alot more physicall then people realize.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Steve L*

I have to say Ive thought about it and that is the perfect scenerio. Tor and Ott kill each other leaving them to play TB who then pick them off while losing 1 or 2 key players if they have to play Tor.

Flyers then take on a Bruins team with a clearly injured Thornton.

However, neither the Flyers, Bruins or Bolts are through yet so Im not counting my chickens too early.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Teezax

I'm pretty confident that they'll take the series (Flyers that is)
Worst case scenario is 3 chances to do it with 2 of them at the Wachovia Center.
We have beat the Devils in 6 out of our last 7 games and that one loss could have went either way, we just had a putrid penalty kill that night.
The confidence of the Devils is shattered, you hear it in their voices that they know they're done. Flyers also remember what happened in 2000, so they want to end it just to put that little quirky fact to rest. I think it'll end in a big way. At least a 3 or 4 goal difference.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:08 PM
flyercide

I think 08Neely said it best with his 3-1 examples of just yr ago... this series is definately not over. But anyhow no series is going to be easy. Boston is pretty solid & have been getting good goaltending. I look at Boston's roster and see a very even series.. a tough one. Toronto has Leetch in addition to what they had last year... thats another series that could go either way and Ottawa.. well besides being a pretty solid team with few additions this year they have the Chara factor who the Flyers have not been able to answer. What am I talking about? I'm talking about how effective he has been at keeping the Flyers away from in front of the net. No one.. not Leclair.. Primeau etc has been able to stay in the crease area w/o Chara knocking them out of there. As demonstrated by the Flyers lastnight it makes a big difference in the game if you keep teams to perimeter shots. There are no easy teams to go through unless Montreal or NYI manages to pull an upset. I don't know why I am even commenting on this .. it's bad luck to look ahead.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Lets win one more game before we start looking ahead. this was stated in another thread that is now closed, I would never ever count out a team with Broduer at any point and time. Dont get me wrong i am extremly happy to be where we are at. But lets win 1 more game before we start thinking about Boston or who ever might be next.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:25 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
I still remember the series with NJ when we were up 3-1 and they came back to kick our butts out of the playoffs. NEVER count out the champs.

Closed Thread