HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gilbert + O'Sullivan for David Backes

Old
12-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Nols

vCash: 500

Looking for anything to do besides school work...

After taking a look at:
http://oilersnation.com/2009/12/1/th...at-you-pay-for

Here's what I came up with:

Also:

Would any team take Moreau or Staois for a pick? Or are they basically unmovable?

Have a nice day.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nols View Post

After taking a look at:

Also:

Would any team take Moreau or Staois for a pick? Or are they basically unmovable?

Have a nice day.
Ugh stop it, they have value and are movable. They aren't Nilsson.

Frankly a guy like Staios might have a decent amount of value for what he brings to the table.

As for your deal, I think that St. Louis wound actually consider it, and I would do it in a second.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:43 AM
myteammytown

Quote:

After taking a look at:

Also:

Have a nice day.

why would st.louis take on an extra 5ish mil in that deal?

they take 2 underperforming guys AND put themselves at/over the cap?

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:46 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Why clutter this board with proposals? Do people think that tambo is reading, and will see these then say "oh wow, why didn't I think of that?" Then proceed to call up STL and propose such a sweet deal? Not happening, same your proposals and this boards space. Or go clutter the trade proposals board perhaps, which is full of this similar garbage, That board frustrates me enough. It all seems so juvenile.

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
Why clutter this board with proposals?
why post at all when your team sucks and you have no power to change anything? duh. all these message boards are exercises in boredom. quit acting like its not.

that being said, i like the proposal for Backes. i doubt STL wants to part with him for two weak-ass players but thats the sort of guys the Oilers need to be targeting in drafts/trades. "greasy" players who can score and hit and have some size.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Nols

Quote:
Why clutter this board with proposals? Do people think that tambo is reading, and will see these then say "oh wow, why didn't I think of that?" Then proceed to call up STL and propose such a sweet deal? Not happening, same your proposals and this boards space. Or go clutter the trade proposals board perhaps, which is full of this similar garbage, That board frustrates me enough. It all seems so juvenile.

Sorry?... I looked for a general proposals thread but didn't see any.

Just spending a little time on HF to get away from exam stress.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
LawnDemon

Backes has 4 goals and 10 points in 25 games. Sully has 4 goals and 13 points. Other than more size I don't see how Backes is a step up. He's basically Moreau but younger.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Sorry?... I looked for a general proposals thread but didn't see any.

Just spending a little time on HF to get away from exam stress.
There is nothing wrong with posting your proposal on here. That's what this place is for. If posters dont like it there is a little box they can click that will make the thread cease to exist for them. There is no need for them to come on here and belittle you.

As for your proposal, the idea of getting rid of soft players who are afraid to engage for a player that mucks it up is what this team needs. I cant see that St. Louis would do it for the reasons stated by FX. I believe Backes has been struggling though.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

I think you and Sureshot need to take some time away from the board.
What would you like to talk about - the Oilers offensive prowess? How about their defensive awareness in their own end? The projected Oilers lineup in 2015? I don't mind these trade proposals at all. A lot of them I don't agree with, but everyone has the right to bring something new up on here. And I haven't seen this one before.

Personally, I like it.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon View Post
Backes has 4 goals and 10 points in 25 games. Sully has 4 goals and 13 points. Other than more size I don't see how Backes is a step up. He's basically Moreau but younger.
Backes however has really been coming alive lately and has a 4 or 5 game point streak going.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
GSC

Gilbert = Tom Preissing

both are capable offensive defencemen, but are absolute panty waists in their own zone and bring nothing resembling physical play. There's a reason Preissing has gone from team to team, and the only thing keeping Gilbert from doing the same is his $4 MIL contract.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Komarov47

No way ! why trade a guy like O'Sullivan who's got great scoring touch and Gilbert who have a great shot and a good skating for a guy who's good but may be forever a 3rd liner

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
No way ! why trade a guy like O'Sullivan who's got great scoring touch and Gilbert who have a great shot and a good skating for a guy who's good but may be forever a 3rd liner

Please.....tell us about that great scoring touch.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Philly85
Moody'

to the original trade -done in a second.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Your response is juvenile, why insult the thread starter for merely listing a proposal? Whatever

Back to the topic, i would do that trade in a second. Backes is the type of player that we need and we clear cap space to boot? Sign me up

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
blues would ask us to take back the same amount in the deal--but take out Backles out of it

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
Gilbert = Tom Preissing

both are capable offensive defencemen, but are absolute panty waists in their own zone and bring nothing resembling physical play. There's a reason Preissing has gone from team to team, and the only thing keeping Gilbert from doing the same is his $4 MIL contract.
To be fair to Tom Gilbert, Preissing couldn't imagine having his offensive instincts or general hockey sense.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
To be fair to Tom Gilbert, Preissing couldn't imagine having his offensive instincts or general hockey sense.
Oh, I don't know. Their career high in points is about the same (mid 40s). I do have more hope for Gilbert than Preissing at this stage of the game though. Tommy will never be a banger, but he can compete harder and work on positioning. The points will come. As for the trade proposal. No way do the Blues do it. Backes is considered a core player who is likely captain material in near future. He's a huge, physical presence who is capable of 30+ goals (which he had last year). He's had a slow start to this year points wise, but has still played a reliable defensive game while cutting back on stupid penalities. Thankfully his production has started to come of late.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Your response is juvenile, why insult the thread starter for merely listing a proposal? Whatever

Back to the topic, i would do that trade in a second. Backes is the type of player that we need and we clear cap space to boot? Sign me up
None the less I am wrong if others here think it is right. I thought the majority would agree with me that proposals would just clutter his board. If we all threw down proposals wouldn't it not feel cluttered? Are they best not left for the proposal board?

Honestly, i thought i was in the majority. and I owe the OP an apology for being so harsh.

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
DousedInOil

That would be a killer deal for the Edmonton Oilers. I think that Backes is an absolute beast. With St.Louis already having Andy McDonald and Brad Boyes down the middle Backes is only getting 3rd line ice time.

Having said that Edmonton already has 4-8 capable centers in Horcoff, Gagner, Cogliano, Comrie, Brule, O'Sullivan, Potulny and Stone. Some of those players you can move to the wing (Cogliano, Stone, Potulny and O'Sullivan). But that still leaves 4 centers to work with.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Please.....tell us about that great scoring touch.
C'mon don't be too hard on Paddy O'Sullivan ! Not his best start, but he can score he's not Crosby or Ovie for sure. Put your hate on Nilsson

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:22 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
People seem to forget Backes scored 30 goals last year. He's also a Penner light in terms of size and strength as well as willing to play physical.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
People seem to forget Backes scored 30 goals last year. He's also a Penner light in terms of size and strength as well as willing to play physical.
He's got a nasty edge to him too, dude will grind games out in a big way.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ugh stop it, they have value and are movable. They aren't Nilsson.

Frankly a guy like Staios might have a decent amount of value for what he brings to the table.

As for your deal, I think that St. Louis wound actually consider it, and I would do it in a second.
I would gladly trade Moreau and Staios for picks.. save up almost 5M of cap room for next year.
Hemsky, Penner, Brule, Potulny, Stone, Jacques and Gagner are only forwards worth keeping.. Trading away Cogliano\O'Sullivan will create a roster opening for Eberle\Omark next yr.

Penner-Brule-Hemsky
Eberle\Omark-Gagner-Backes\UFA
Jacques-Potulny-Stone

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
C'mon don't be too hard on Paddy O'Sullivan ! Not his best start, but he can score he's not Crosby or Ovie for sure. Put your hate on Nilsson
I don't have a hate on for POS. but give your head a shake. If you think he's performing the way he should be, then you should check the water you drink.