HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gilbert + O'Sullivan for David Backes

Old
12-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Oh, I don't know. Their career high in points is about the same (mid 40s). I do have more hope for Gilbert than Preissing at this stage of the game though. Tommy will never be a banger, but he can compete harder and work on positioning. The points will come. As for the trade proposal. No way do the Blues do it. Backes is considered a core player who is likely captain material in near future. He's a huge, physical presence who is capable of 30+ goals (which he had last year). He's had a slow start to this year points wise, but has still played a reliable defensive game while cutting back on stupid penalities. Thankfully his production has started to come of late.
I'm not going to argue the Backes part and his value to the Blues, but Preissing didn't put up his numbers his 2nd year in the NHL, and he Preissing out preformed his abilities in that season, where as Gilbert still has room to grow.

Tom Preissing couldn't imagine being as good as Tom Gilbert, even this season.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
oilersrule14

I think that's a good proposal of how to give to get. Gilbert had just 9 less points than Backes last year, and he's a dman. O'Sullivan just 2 years ago put up a season very similar to Backes' best. They're all American players and that might mean something to someone like John Davidson. If Davidson has an affinity to either of those two players, this is definitely a deal he would make. Good proposal.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Nols

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
None the less I am wrong if others here think it is right. I thought the majority would agree with me that proposals would just clutter his board. If we all threw down proposals wouldn't it not feel cluttered? Are they best not left for the proposal board?

Honestly, i thought i was in the majority. and I owe the OP an apology for being so harsh.
No worries.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nols View Post
Gilbert + O'Sullivan for David Backes
I suppose it has to be said that it seems like a team of O'Gilbert and O'Sullivan should make a very creative partnership ... maybe even operatic.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:10 AM
hemskysuncle

I think the proposal stinks.

just kidding. however, I do think that the Blues would be very wary of taking on such an increase in salary. Aren't the owners still holding the purse a little tight? or have they loosened up a bit and raised the budget?

I would love to have Backes. he will be a Mcguire monster on many occasions throughout his career.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:28 PM
OilerzFRLife

backes wouldnt be offered up unless you were talking for cogliano. cogs for backes is alot more fair. maybe a pick on our side of the high number and its a done deal

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
backes wouldnt be offered up unless you were talking for cogliano. cogs for backes is alot more fair. maybe a pick on our side of the high number and its a done deal
IMO.. O'Sullivan has as much value as Cogliano if not more..

Ideally we would be trading our small struggling players for bigger struggling young players..

Guys like Backes and Mueller should be our prime targets..
Softer guys being the bait.

Give Quinn the size he wants and see how far can he take this team..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
ponokanocker

I love the trade for Edmonton. A large, physical forward with the ability to score(this year, not so well so far), and we get rid of 2 non-physical players with little heart. There is no way St. Louis will take on that much extra salary though.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
No, its not a done deal. The pot would have to be pretty sweet for the Blues to part with Backes in ANY deal. Cogs and a pick isn't going to do it.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Post View Post
I suppose it has to be said that it seems like a team of O'Gilbert and O'Sullivan should make a very creative partnership ... maybe even operatic.
Boooooo!!!!!! LOL, nice one Gene Principe !!

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote