HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Marc Savard agrees to 7 year contract extension

Old
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Why? Savard never hit the open market, and Drury was signed before these long-term, front loaded contracts started becoming the norm. Other than the fact that they're over 30 and play center, I don't see much of a comparison.
The comparison? You're right there really isnt much of a "comparison" between the two because savard is a star center who puts up the big numbers and drury isnt. And yet savard is taking a deal where he makes less than drury. I dont care if its a different year than when drury signed because what does that mean? Are guys being paid less now? NO. Is the recession playing any factor into players salary demands? NO. Gaborik still got his big pay day. Others are still getting their money (Hossa, Havlat).

The problem with when drury signed is that there was no one else and sather decided to overpay. I'm not blaming drury, nor am I putting drury down because I was one of the people that wanted drury here and I still like that he's here. But considering our situation right now where we have no secondary scoring to help gaborik or a true number one center to complement gaborik like a marc savard, it is absolutely frustrating to know that drury should be making around $2 million less than he is right now. Maybe that means that he wouldnt of signed here then, but so be it. It was stupidity on sather's part.

And you guys are right who are saying savard would have asked for more if he hit the open market and was in talks with the rangers. But at least we'd paying him for his actual production where he has put up huge numbers year in and year out, as opposed to paying for intangibles and a couple good years.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
The problem with when drury signed is that there was no one else and sather decided to overpay. I'm not blaming drury, nor am I putting drury down because I was one of the people that wanted drury here and I still like that he's here. But considering our situation right now where we have no secondary scoring to help gaborik or a true number one center to complement gaborik like a marc savard, it is absolutely frustrating to know that drury should be making around $2 million less than he is right now. Maybe that means that he wouldnt of signed here then, but so be it. It was stupidity on sather's part.
Are you aware how free agency works? When a player goes to July 1,he goes to the highest bidder. The contracts are usually inflated because more than 1 team is bidding on the same player.Drury became a $7 million player because that was the market.

If Drury went to Boston for $7 million and he was producing at his 60 point clip(which is what Drury is),you would lamenting his loss.

Sather should have given him the money instead of paying somebody else.

Sather was criticized by the pro-Neil Smith contingent of the NY media(Dellapina,Carpinello and Gulliti)for not being able to land the big time free agents and he was not longer in Edmonton. Summer of 2000 and 2001.

Monday morning QB's.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Is there a way to find those Drury threads from the spring-summer 2007? So many people wanted this player and now they are all running away from him.

Monday morning QB's
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=395758
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=426703

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Ahh the good ole days, those threads are too funny.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
The comparison? You're right there really isnt much of a "comparison" between the two because savard is a star center who puts up the big numbers and drury isnt. And yet savard is taking a deal where he makes less than drury. I dont care if its a different year than when drury signed because what does that mean? Are guys being paid less now? NO. Is the recession playing any factor into players salary demands? NO. Gaborik still got his big pay day. Others are still getting their money (Hossa, Havlat).
You're completely missing my point. Guys aren't being paid less now, but their cap hits are lower because of the front-loaded contracts they're receiving. Do you really think Hossa is going to be playing until he's 42 or whenever it is that his contract is up? No, he earns the bulk of his money in the first 6 or so years, and then it's easy to walk away from the rest. Sather didn't do that. He went shorter term so he had to condense a high salary into a smaller time span. Hence the high cap hit. Nobody cares that Drury is making $8MM+ this season, they care that $7MM of it counts towards the salary cap.

Gaborik is/was a risk that could just as easily have been chalked up as another 'Glen Sather Disaster'. In fact, there's still plenty of time for that to be the case.

Quote:
No one else to overpay? That was one of the biggest summers in free agency. Briere, Gomez, and Drury were 3 of the biggest names to hit the market since the lockout and Sather went nuts.

Drury is overpaid. There is no doubt about that. But to use Savard as an example of why he's overpaid is silly. Hell, even Gaborik would be a better example.

Quote:
And you guys are right who are saying savard would have asked for more if he hit the open market and was in talks with the rangers. But at least we'd paying him for his actual production where he has put up huge numbers year in and year out, as opposed to paying for intangibles and a couple good years.
Right, but that's just it. Sather paid Drury for his production in 06-07, which was absolutely tremendous. I've presented the stats dozens of times, so I won't go through it again, but he had 37 goals, 17 PP goals, one of the best FO%'s in the league, top-5 in GWG's, etc, etc, and most importantly, scored a huge goal against a certain team from NY that changed the tide of a playoff series.

If Drury was actually that player, I'd gladly pay him $7MM per year, but he's not and that's really not his fault.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Are you aware how free agency works? When a player goes to July 1,he goes to the highest bidder. The contracts are usually inflated because more than 1 team is bidding on the same player.Drury became a $7 million player because that was the market.

If Drury went to Boston for $7 million and he was producing at his 60 point clip(which is what Drury is),you would lamenting his loss.

Sather should have given him the money instead of paying somebody else.

Sather was criticized by the pro-Neil Smith contingent of the NY media(Dellapina,Carpinello and Gulliti)for not being able to land the big time free agents and he was not longer in Edmonton. Summer of 2000 and 2001.

Monday morning QB's.
I understand how free agency works. We witness it firsthand every summer here in NY of how it works. I also understand that drury was going to get his payday that summer. My problem is it shouldnt have been from us then. Sather shouldn't have made such a ridiculous offer to a player who has never put up the statistics consistently to warrant that kind of money being offered. Sather should've offered less and if drury didnt want to take the offer then we pass on him, and he doesnt get to play close to home for the team he grew up watching.

Old
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ahh the good ole days, those threads are too funny.
Wow, these threads are hilariously entertaining in hindsight.

"Dynasty in the making!"

"Jagr will explode on Gomez's wing!"

"We are seriously underrating Drury's playmaking ability."

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

7 years for a 32 year old player, is insane.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Wow, these threads are hilariously entertaining in hindsight.

"Dynasty in the making!"

"Jagr will explode on Gomez's wing!"

"We are seriously underrating Drury's playmaking ability."
When you read the reactions and see the mancrush's that were going on you realize why we have so many posters acting like jilted lovers on this board

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
You're completely missing my point. Guys aren't being paid less now, but their cap hits are lower because of the front-loaded contracts they're receiving. Do you really think Hossa is going to be playing until he's 42 or whenever it is that his contract is up? No, he earns the bulk of his money in the first 6 or so years, and then it's easy to walk away from the rest. Sather didn't do that. He went shorter term so he had to condense a high salary into a smaller time span. Hence the high cap hit. Nobody cares that Drury is making $8MM+ this season, they care that $7MM of it counts towards the salary cap.

Gaborik is/was a risk that could just as easily have been chalked up as another 'Glen Sather Disaster'. In fact, there's still plenty of time for that to be the case.

No one else to overpay? That was one of the biggest summers in free agency. Briere, Gomez, and Drury were 3 of the biggest names to hit the market since the lockout and Sather went nuts.

Drury is overpaid. There is no doubt about that. But to use Savard as an example of why he's overpaid is silly. Hell, even Gaborik would be a better example.

Right, but that's just it. Sather paid Drury for his production in 06-07, which was absolutely tremendous. I've presented the stats dozens of times, so I won't go through it again, but he had 37 goals, 17 PP goals, one of the best FO%'s in the league, top-5 in GWG's, etc, etc, and most importantly, scored a huge goal against a certain team from NY that changed the tide of a playoff series.

If Drury was actually that player, I'd gladly pay him $7MM per year, but he's not and that's really not his fault.
And because of everything you just said which is true, Sather shouldn't have spent that kind of money. He handcuffed himself. He should've only signed one of gomez and drury, and it shouldve just been gomez because he was closer to consistency than drury. Sather shouldnt have been paying drury that money because he had one great season which happened to be his contract year. You hold onto the money, withstand the losing for the next year, and wait for the guy in free agency who isss worth that kind of money.

And what I'm saying in regards to savard is yes its a different situation because he didnt hit the open market. But the B's were willing to give him a 7 year contract that is going to be front loaded with his cap hit not being so high because he is worth it. He earned that contract. Drury didnt deserve the contract he was handed. And simply put, it sucks that we are stuck with it and you see another team being able to cut a deal with a superior player that doesnt kill them.

Old
12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

This is sickening to hear but a great signing for Boston.

Makes Drury's contract seem infinitesimally worse than it already is...

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
This is sickening to hear but a great signing for Boston.

Makes Drury's contract seem infinitesimally worse than it already is...
How does it seem worse?

We have him for 2 more years.

They have Savard now for 7 more years.

I'd take Drury's bad contract for only 2 more years over Savard's bad contract for 7 more years.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Stop comparing this to Drury's contract. There are complete different situations for players who are UFA/RFA and those who choose to resign while under contract. Use some common sense.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Is there a way to find those Drury threads from the spring-summer 2007? So many people wanted this player and now they are all running away from him.

Monday morning QB's
They wanted the Buffalo Sabre's Drury... Now that we've gotten some other version of Drury for 2 1/4 seasons, they've had enough and are ready to move on.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Musto

that mother****er would have been perfect to activate our incompetent wingers. ****.

who else is on the wish list . . . ribeiro? ****.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:34 PM
azrok22

With all the negativity and furor, this is an opportunity to give Sather his due praise for locking up Gaborik on July 1st.

2010 UFA class is going to be bad... down right brutal if Kovalchuk and/or Marleau re-sign before July 1st... foregoing Gaborik for the chance of Kovalchuk was a pretty popular opinion last summer... and missing out on Kovalchuk and ending up with another Drury/Gomez would've been heartbreaking (and I think Marleau/Jokinen/etc. have a very good possibility of becoming Gomez/Drury-like mistakes for some team next summer).

That's not to say I'm not in favor of shipping Drury, Redden, and Rozsival to Antartica if Ilya does make it to free agency!

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:37 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
With all the negativity and furor, this is an opportunity to give Sather his due praise for locking up Gaborik on July 1st.

2010 UFA class is going to be bad... down right brutal if Kovalchuk and/or Marleau re-sign before July 1st... foregoing Gaborik for the chance of Kovalchuk was a pretty popular opinion last summer... and missing out on Kovalchuk and ending up with another Drury/Gomez would've been heartbreaking (and I think Marleau/Jokinen/etc. have a very good possibility of becoming Gomez/Drury-like mistakes for some team next summer).

That's not to say I'm not in favor of shipping Drury, Redden, and Rozsival to Antartica if Ilya does make it to free agency!
This. This was my main issue with all the people who were against signing Gaborik because they were the same people banking on kovalchuk becoming a UFA. Now that could still happen but as we've just witnessed, savard will not be making to the 2010 free agent market.

Old
12-01-2009, 07:46 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
How does it seem worse?

We have him for 2 more years.

They have Savard now for 7 more years.

I'd take Drury's bad contract for only 2 more years over Savard's bad contract for 7 more years.
Bad contract? Lengthy? Yes. Bad contract? No. His cap hit isnt high and he earned that contract. These are his stats over the last 4 years:

08-09: 88 points 9 PPG 21 PPA
07-08: 78 points 4 PPG 27 PPA
06-07: 96 points 10 PPG 39 PPA
05-06: 97 points 14 PPG 36 PPA

He played in all 82 games in every season except for the 07-08 season in which he played 74 games otherwise he probably would have recorded at least 80 points in that one too. The guy is a machine. Unlike Drury, he has been consistent since the inflated year after the lockout ended. He is a playmaking dynamo, the majority of his point totals are assists. I'd sign up for him in a heartbeat even it was 7 years. I highly doubt his numbers would decline in the next 4-5 years playing next to gaborik.

Old
12-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

woo.. i looked at this quickly and i thought I saw Marc Staal agrees to 7 year contract extension... any ways really nice deal by boston!

Tony D63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:18 PM
darko

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl...ory?id=4703503

Since this is a guy we've all discussed and probably desired, I figured it deserved its own thread.

Just $4.2 million per year. Less than Drury. That is sickening to know that.

Awesome news for Bruins. Bad news for everyone around the league waiting for Savard to hit free agency.

Seriously, I was expecting around 5.5 - 6 mill per season.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:

So why oh, why do you continue to tell us Drury as a Ranger has been as good as Drury pre-Rangers???

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Shake and Bake

Those threads are hilarious. Oh man...

The guy has been a complete bust as a NY Ranger. Its still amazing that some og you wont admit that.

An overpaid guy to begin with, but on top of that you have a guy that is a complete shell of his former self...and we have him for 2 plus years. woo

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Those threads are hilarious. Oh man...

The guy has been a complete bust as a NY Ranger. Its still amazing that some og you wont admit that.

An overpaid guy to begin with, but on top of that you have a guy that is a complete shell of his former self...and we have him for 2 plus years. woo
Sigh. Even Dagoon and SBOB were hopeful and happy about the deals? Gomez, Drury, Cherry! What an offseason!

Oh cruel cruel reality.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
So why oh, why do you continue to tell us Drury as a Ranger has been as good as Drury pre-Rangers???
I guess you didn't see this bit on the end?

Quote:
Drury is a career 50-60 point player. He was exactly that for his first two seasons as a Ranger. I'm really dumbfounded that you continue to have such a difficult time understanding this.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I guess you didn't see this bit on the end?

Drury is a career 50-60 point player. He was exactly that for his first two seasons as a Ranger. I'm really dumbfounded that you continue to have such a difficult time understanding this.
I know your responding to shake and bake, but I do understand he is that type of player and that is EXACTLY why he shouldnt have been given $7 million per season