HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers In Need Of Shakeup? Plus 30 Thoughts.

Old
12-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Oilers In Need Of Shakeup? Plus 30 Thoughts.

Courtesy of Elliotte Friedman from CBC.ca

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/...keup_plus.html

It's a fairly short article so I won't quote anything from it, nice little read.

Seems as though people around the league are really starting to take notice of the Oilers unfavourable situation and comment on it.

Friedman wrote this today and it's on the front page of the CBC.ca Sports section.

Nothing really ground breaking but he does speculate a little in terms of what they could do come the summer, goes into the cap numbers of the team, so on and so forth.

In yesterday's edition of "That's Hockey", Geno spoke with Eric Duhatschek regarding the 2009/2010 Edmonton Oilers. Duhatschek also - along with Friedman - suggested the organization should start taking the necessary steps towards a full-fledge rebuild; to do anything possible to gut the team and begin planning for the off-season, start looking at the idea of obtaining a Top 3 pick.

It's plain to see folks, that although there are other teams down in the dumps, the Oilers are in a particularly bad situation - potentially long term - due to their lack of a plan, lack of forsight and essentially dreadful cap management.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
DousedInOil

I don't even know why he brings up the defence. Souray and Visnovsky are absoulte gems that this team needs in order to suceed and should appreciate every day that we have them before they retire. Smid and Staios have had very good seasons so far. Grebeshkov is kind of a scratch because of his injury at the moment only leaving Gilbert with a giant target on his back right now.

Also our goaltending is solid imo with Khabibulin (who was our MVP outside Penner before being injured).

This article is just stupid. The Oilers can't have a knee-jerk reaction to a ridiculous series of injuries.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Well, agree to completely and utterly disagree...

By the way, Elliotte Friedman is not stupid, he's a good "in-the-know" hockey guy.

If he or Eric Duhatschek speak, people tend to listen.

Old
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Asher

I've said it a million times before, but Souray is the logical choice. His NMC clause ends this summer. I'll be surprised/disappointed if he's back next season. The cap relief from dealing him plus (hopefully) a good prospect or 2 would be well worth it.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
R-MAN83

I guess Friedman is off my Christmas card list
Seriously though I would like to see where we are by the deadline and I am sure management will dump salary then if necessary.

R-MAN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Thanks for the article. I totally forgot about Sillinger being in teh organization.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Hemsky4PM

It may seem counter intuitive, but the best thing for the team to do would be to reduce the player salary budget by 10-15 percent for next season.

If anything this would force some tough decisions and prevent the team from overpaying for bottom 2 d-men and bottom 6 forwards.

It might also lead to a trade or two. Souray, Gilbert, Grebeshkov or Visnovsky would likely be moved. Perhaps dump Moreau and/or Staios. Nilsson would be moved or bought out.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
O'Sullivan-Horcoff-Cogliano
Eberle-Brule-Stone
Jacques-Potulny-Stortini
CHEAP VETRERAN no.13 and 14 (1.25M total)

Souray-Visnovsky
Gilbert/Grebeshkov-Smid
Chorney
CHEAP VETERAN no.6 and 7 (2M total)

Khabibulin
Delauriers

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Philly85
Moody'

You can't have more than 5 guys on the team who are considered soft and under 6'0". Won't work. Also, Gagner is not a 1st line center, still about 4-5 years away from that.

Old
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

By the way, Elliotte Friedman is not stupid, he's a good "in-the-know" hockey guy.

So Edmonton blows up the team and gets rid of all of our veteran players? Our young players need to have someone to learn from. You can't ice a team completely made of rookies when none of them are "franchise" cailbre material.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Yanner39

I know I'm going to sound bitter, but honestly, I have no faith that the management group will do anything at this point.

I blame the current state of this team on the injuries and the sickness they've had to overcome in the first couple of months. I mean, how can they get any chemistry going when players are going in and out of the lineup? Injuries should never be used as an excuse, but they are a factor for sure.

All this being said, even if injuries weren't a factor, in typical Oiler fashion, the Oilers would keep struggling (use Joe Namath drunk voice...) and frustrate their fans until they are 6 or 8 points out of the playoffs, make minor deadline deals to satisfy the fans, and miss out yet again on the playoffs.

I don't care if Tambellini inherited a mess from Lowe. He was yet to prove capable of putting his stamp on the team. Until he grows a set of balls and pulls of a trade using say Souray or Vishnovsky (just examples here), I will remain unconvinced.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:38 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
So Edmonton blows up the team and gets rid of all of our veteran players? Our young players need to have someone to learn from. You can't ice a team completely made of rookies when none of them are "franchise" cailbre material.
You don't need to spend the kind of cap space the Oilers are to have veterans on your team.

There's lots of them available and they don't chew up 1/5 of your cap space line Souray and Visnovsky do.

If the Oilers don't plan on winning in the next year or two, there is no valid reason not to maximize the return for players like that.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Giant Moo

I don't understand why Strudwick is always mentioned as someone to dump because of his salary. If you get rid of him you have to bring in someone else... at about the same salary. Taking your pants off so you can put them back on again.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I've said it a million times before, but Souray is the logical choice. His NMC clause ends this summer. I'll be surprised/disappointed if he's back next season. The cap relief from dealing him plus (hopefully) a good prospect or 2 would be well worth it.
cap relief for what? If we could get cap relief of 5M I would want another Souray on this team.. We need to rid ourselves of Gilbert, Horcoff, Staios, Pisani, Moreau, Nilsson contracts so we could get a couple more impact players like Souray on the team.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I don't understand why Strudwick is always mentioned as someone to dump because of his salary. If you get rid of him you have to bring in someone else... at about the same salary. Taking your pants off so you can put them back on again.
Good analogy although, in this case, it's possible you could take off an old pair of assless leather chaps and replace them with a fresh new pair of walmart trousers. Sure, the trousers are nothing special but at least they don't leave you (or your team) so exposed in the back end.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
I know I'm going to sound bitter, but honestly, I have no faith that the management group will do anything at this point.

I blame the current state of this team on the injuries and the sickness they've had to overcome in the first couple of months. I mean, how can they get any chemistry going when players are going in and out of the lineup? Injuries should never be used as an excuse, but they are a factor for sure.

All this being said, even if injuries weren't a factor, in typical Oiler fashion, the Oilers would keep struggling (use Joe Namath drunk voice...) and frustrate their fans until they are 6 or 8 points out of the playoffs, make minor deadline deals to satisfy the fans, and miss out yet again on the playoffs.

I don't care if Tambellini inherited a mess from Lowe. He was yet to prove capable of putting his stamp on the team. Until he grows a set of balls and pulls of a trade using say Souray or Vishnovsky (just examples here), I will remain unconvinced.

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
To be honest, at this point in time, we just need to clean up. Mess or not, Tambo has finally got to sit down and say, "This group of players isn't doing a thing".

We have numerous dead weight's on the roster, get rid of as much dead salary as you can, and then go from there.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
To be honest, at this point in time, we just need to clean up. Mess or not, Tambo has finally got to sit down and say, "This group of players isn't doing a thing".

We have numerous dead weight's on the roster, get rid of as much dead salary as you can, and then go from there.
The problem is that the roster is completely unbalanced.

So when I make a statement like "the team is full of small offensive forwards," I'm sure you could make arguments like "but the Buffalo Sabres did too!"

The problem is that the statement that I could make about the Oilers isn't finished.

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles and don't have any finish."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles, don't have any finish, and can't play defense."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles, don't have any finish, can't play defense, and have no teamwork together."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles, don't have any finish, can't play defense, have no teamwork together, and who have extremely bad habits."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles, don't have any finish, can't play defense, have no teamwork together, and who have extremely bad habits. And the defensemen are soft..."

And on it goes.

That's the problem.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:14 PM
mike2005rulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
cap relief for what? If we could get cap relief of 5M I would want another Souray on this team.. We need to rid ourselves of Gilbert, Horcoff, Staios, Pisani, Moreau, Nilsson contracts so we could get a couple more impact players like Souray on the team.
I like the sounds of that, kinda like a wholesale clensing

mike2005rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 06:36 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

That's true if you're talking about trade whispers, rumors, or just generally what teams are discussing, but just because a guy has contacts, it doesn't mean he knows anything about hockey.

I'll listen if a guy like Pierre LeBrun, Bob MacKenzie, Eric D., or Elliotte Friedman say that Team X is going into a complete rebuild and are looking for size up front, etc., but not necessarily if they say that Team X should do those things.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Learn from who? Moreau? Staios?

Please...

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Cerebral

One thing to keep in mind is that "rebuilding" a team doesn't always lead to success down the road. I can think of a number of teams who have been in a perpetual rebuild for almost the last decade who haven't gone anywhere yet.

12-01-2009, 07:37 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that "rebuilding" a team doesn't always lead to success down the road. I can think of a number of teams who have been in a perpetual rebuild for almost the last decade who haven't gone anywhere yet.
I would be curious which teams you think have been in perpetual rebuild.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The problem is that the roster is completely unbalanced.

So when I make a statement like "the team is full of small offensive forwards," I'm sure you could make arguments like "but the Buffalo Sabres did too!"

The problem is that the statement that I could make about the Oilers isn't finished.

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles and don't have any finish."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles, don't have any finish, and can't play defense."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles, don't have any finish, can't play defense, and have no teamwork together."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles, don't have any finish, can't play defense, have no teamwork together, and who have extremely bad habits."

"The team is full of small offensive forwards who can't win puck battles, don't have any finish, can't play defense, have no teamwork together, and who have extremely bad habits. And the defensemen are soft..."

And on it goes.

That's the problem.
Agreed. It's a fundamentally flawed team, and Tambo did nothing to address that, rather help it.

The defense is solid, but when the majority of your forwards can't even play a solid two-way game, then your going to get scored on no matter what.

Then add in maybe like 3-4 can win a battle along the boards consistently, and that stuff compounds.

Then add in certain players who offer very little to the team on a consistent basis, and your in doo-doo.

Now to be clear, I'm not asking for a full blown rebuild, on the contrary, I think it should be a nice balance. Say we do get Hall cause we suck this year, and get rid of some of the dead weight(Say Moreau and Gilbert traded and Pies let go) and maybe make a 'clearing' type trade (Some of the small guys, ie Cogs, Nilsson etc) for one effective player.

Nothing to drastic, and that above mentioned effective player doesn't have to be a superstar, just someone worthwhile. Then roll with it. Keep Vet's around and keep getting better with a plan in mind.

The problem with this team as Cloned said, is its imbalance. Too many fundamental holes with not enough other stuff to cover it up.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:12 PM
oilerfan17

The truest statement in that entire article is that Hjalmarsson is the most underrated player in the NHL. As a Chicago resident, I get to catch a Blackhawks game every so often, and he is phenomenal. I know I'm going to sound crazy here, but every time I've seen him he's been the best guy on Chicago's blue, even with Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, and Barker out there.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Soundwave

This team just needs Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin.

Period. Throw in Eberle and eventually MPS and you got something most likely.

The other stuff will take care of itself. Moreau, Pisani, Staois, Comrie, Nilsson are off the books after next season or sooner and if you want Souray and Visnovsky and Grebeshkov are tradable at just about any time too.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote