HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burkie's Holiday trade freeze

Old
12-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Marshy

vCash: 500
Burkie's Holiday trade freeze

link

Quote:
General manager Brian Burke has no call-up plans for the balance of this three-game road trip and, as far as making a trade, is saying that he’ll likely stick to a personal holiday roster freeze around Dec. 9 or 10. That comes 10 days before the NHL puts a halt to any trades or demotions for Christmas.

Very big-hearted of BB to do this for the boys. Loyalty is a fine quality to have. While other GMs do their jobs and attempt to improve their teams within the confines of the NHL rules, BB earns some points from his players -- many who are underperforming. When does improving the team take a front seat in this organization? Why reward non-performance like this? Burke talks a big game but this heart of gold stuff is confusing. What is it Brian...are you a stern taskmaster or a nice guy?

Marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Who's to say there are even any imminent deal? I can't speak for Brian, but I'm sure if there was a real impact deal to be done Burke would throw his 'Holiday Freeze' out the window.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Who's to say there are even any imminent deal? I can't speak for Brian, but I'm sure if there was a real impact deal to be done Burke would throw his 'Holiday Freeze' out the window.

Nobody knows obviously. But whatever deals go down between Dec 9-19...The Leafs will be bystanders. Maybe there won't be any deals at all though. Time will tell.

Old
12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Raging Bull

No surprise he did the same thing last season....

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Burkie's Holiday trade freeze ?

Bosh! Flimshaw!

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
No surprise he did the same thing last season....

He's better than a mall Santa.

Old
12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
EazyB97

Doubt there will be the urgency to make a deal from other teams during that period. I'm betting they can wait a little longer or work within those dates to get something done.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:21 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Doubt there will be the urgency to make a deal from other teams during that period. I'm betting they can wait a little longer or work within those dates to get something done.
Really, what a non-story. Instead of Burke not making moves at other times he will not make moves around Christmas time.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
So hopefully he plans to do something before the 9th.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:28 PM
darty

Anyone think any of the other GMs have a little fun with him by giving him a ring on say Dec 12th with a very lopsided deal in Burke's favour?
Like, first rounder for Blake type of funny.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
link

Very big-hearted of BB to do this for the boys. Loyalty is a fine quality to have. While other GMs do their jobs and attempt to improve their teams within the confines of the NHL rules, BB earns some points from his players -- many who are underperforming. When does improving the team take a front seat in this organization? Why reward non-performance like this? Burke talks a big game but this heart of gold stuff is confusing. What is it Brian...are you a stern taskmaster or a nice guy?
It's nothing more than the fact that Brian Burke is compassionate and respects players that play under him.

Class

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
It's nothing more than the fact that Brian Burke is compassionate and respects players that play under him.

Class

Yes I agree. He is a classy guy. How many wins are awarded for that?

Old
12-01-2009, 03:41 PM
EazyB97

So you started a thread on the holiday freeze to make us aware that the team isn't doing well? Why not skip the cover and just discuss the team instead?

Old
12-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
So you started a thread on the holiday freeze to make us aware that the team isn't doing well? Why not skip the cover and just discuss the team instead?

You don't need this tread to be aware of the team's record this year. I want what we all want --> team improvement sooner rather than later. If there is a deal to improve the team ANY TIME that it's allowed why not be open to that?

Old
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Yes I agree. He is a classy guy. How many wins are awarded for that?
Because a trade done now compared to a trade done in December compared to a trade done in January is going to have a huge difference for this team in its current state.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:46 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
You don't need this tread to be aware of the team's record this year. I want what we all want --> team improvement sooner rather than later. If there is a deal to improve the team ANY TIME that it's allowed why not be open to that?
Because you're doing your players a favour for the holiday season. The deal should be available before or after and you gain points with your players. This helps you attract your team appeal in other area's, like (re)signing players.

Old
12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Who cares about the Trade Freeze? Not as if he's been making tons of trades leading up to now.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Because a trade done now compared to a trade done in December compared to a trade done in January is going to have a huge effect on this in its current state.

It's not always about the trade that you make -- trades that you don't make can stall team improvement. If a deal is out there to be made and you're going to lose out on the deal because of some arbitrary date you have chosen then that hurts the team, in my opinion.

Old
12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
JL4L

Send a message via MSN to JL4L
Quote:
link

For some reason when I read that, I read "Task Miester" and immediately thought of the Burger Miester.

That was about the only entertainment I got from this thread.

JL4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
Who cares about the Trade Freeze? Not as if he's been making tons of trades leading up to now.
Neither has any other GM's in the league.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
beleaf101

You pick your team in the off season really. With the cap, nothing is going to happen until trade deadline.

beleaf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post
Anyone think any of the other GMs have a little fun with him by giving him a ring on say Dec 12th with a very lopsided deal in Burke's favour?
Like, first rounder for Blake type of funny.
Heh, I just picture a snickering Rutherford on the phone to Burke with a Staal/Ward/1st for Blake/Stempniak/Toskala type of deal.

Last edited by Paris in Flames: 12-01-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
link

He's neither and really who cares? He hasn't done a thing so far this season to shake up the team so what does it matter if he freezes early? It's not like there's a trading waiting to be made anyway.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
It's not always about the trade that you make -- trades that you don't make can stall team improvement. If a deal is out there to be made and you're going to lose out on the deal because of some arbitrary date you have chosen then that hurts the team, in my opinion.
I honestly doubt that trades are something that just happen spontaneously. From what I've read and heard in interviews done by various GMs they are a pretty arduous process. An extra week on top of the NHL trade freeze isn't going to make a difference.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
Bosh! Flimshaw!
Hmm. Well, he WOULD give us some size in front of the net...don't know if he can skate though.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote