Notices

Matt Foy

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 02:32 PM
DHLTrashers

vCash: 500
Matt Foy

What do you think? Will he make the big team in 2004/05 out of camp?

thx

Old
03-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Wild Bill

I think Matt's biggest obsticles to make the Wild next year are his health and his work ethic. If he busts his butt in training camp and shows a willingness to play defense first, he should get every oppourtunity to make the club.

It seems like he is already slipped behind Wanvig, Wallin, and Veilleux on the depth chart though, so he's probably got some work to do. If I was a betting man, I'd say he starts the year in Houston, but becomes a regular call up.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:59 PM
theo6060

I'd say no. I don't mean to be negative about the guy, but I think there are some high hopes for the guy that I'm pretty sure he won't be able to achieve. I'd like to see him prove me wrong, but like I've said before, he has some holes to his game.

I think that a lot of people look at the stats and see that he had 132 points in the OHL. We all know he was on a line with Corey Locke, which had a lot to do with his points being so high. But another thing to keep in mind was he was an overager that year as well. He was one of the few 20 year olds in the league and he definitely had some size on a lot of the players in the league. The year before in the NCAA he only had 24 points (31GP). Being an overager really does affect a players point total in the CHL (for the most part). Cody McCormick (who is with the Avs now) had more than doubled his point total in his overage year and had averaged more than a point a game.

I don't mean to be negative on the guy, I am just not convinced that he should have a very high ceiling right now. He's got potential, but I think he's going to need another year or two of AHL before he can be an NHLer and I worry that he'll only really be a 3rd to 4th line guy. I don't see him possessing offensive tools to be a top 6 forward...

Old
04-15-2004, 04:12 PM
JessfromHouston

Matty still has a lot of growing and maturing to do and I think there is no doubt that one day he will be with the Wild but I say he should bet on Houston next season. I will be happy to see him back here. He has already grown so much since the begining of the season I can't wait to see him next year.

GO AEROS!

Jess

Old
04-15-2004, 04:14 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessfromHouston
Matty still has a lot of growing and maturing to do and I think there is no doubt that one day he will be with the Wild but I say he should bet on Houston next season. I will be happy to see him back here. He has already grown so much since the begining of the season I can't wait to see him next year.

GO AEROS!

Jess

who knows, he was one of the last ones cut last year

Old
04-15-2004, 04:25 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessfromHouston

GO AEROS!

Jess
You're saying that he has grown since the beginning of the year last season, what has changed for the most part? Is he still doing a lot of extra curricular stick work after whistles or after plays?

Old
04-15-2004, 05:14 PM
JessfromHouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo6060
You're saying that he has grown since the beginning of the year last season, what has changed for the most part? Is he still doing a lot of extra curricular stick work after whistles or after plays?
His play has really come together since the beginning of the season. He is the first one on the ice and the last one off. You can tell he is committed to succeeding where he is now. It's been really exciting to watch him grow and develop here in the AHL. It's great to have him here in Houston.

Jess

Old
04-15-2004, 11:02 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
FYI: Armands Berzins was one of the last cuts on the 02-03 club and look at where he has landed.

Closed Thread