HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Rule, Ducks Suck: Post Game Shut Yo Mouth

Old
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It was nice to see. I hope he turns it up and things go his way soon, we could certainly use the boost. If this team ever turns on both their primary and secondary scoring lines at once then we would be in very good shape.
I said elsewhere that it's nice that we're winning in SPITE of injuries, scheduling, and our primary/secondary offense, defense, and goaltending not all clicking at once. There's something to be said for a team peaking too early (cough, Avs, cough), and this team could be SCARY when it all works.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:44 PM
KingsKnight
L.A. Kriminals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Also that they go on and on about what could have happened or some useless rambling. I think Ahler only actually calls about 45% of the action on the ice. More filler than I've heard anywhere. There were entire forechecks that they were talking about some random nuance of nothing to do with anything hypothetical meaninglessness based on a play that happened before the current play, that is now 30 seconds into its cycle, even broke out in the first place.
Two things that stood out to me last night (and there were many other small things):

1. Cutting to Randy Carlyle's face in the middle of a Kings rush because they were talking about him instead of the play

2. Calling Stoll "Staal" all night

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
SFKingshomer

[QUOTE=Telos;22428962]

True enough, but is that not often the case? I think he needs a supporting cast that plays to his style though in order for him to be really effective. Most linemates are sitting 10 feet off the net when he makes the play, but that is also because Brown is trying to make something happen on a break. He needs to either carry the puck in and force his way to the net, or hang onto it longer and take those shots with traffic.

Yes, Brown needs a playmaking center to create so he doesn't have to.

You lost me here.

Doughty is great at rushing the puck but needs to pick his spots better. Right now he makes some pretty risky plays that will fade with experience. He is so poised and awesome at getting the puck out of trouble though.

Last edited by SFKingshomer: 12-02-2009 at 01:03 PM.
SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Doughty is great at rushing the puck but needs to pick his spots better. Right now he makes some pretty risky plays that will fade with experience. He is so poised and awesome at getting the puck out of trouble though.
I guess, but calling him high risk/ high reward doesn't really seem to fit the bill either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Brown needs a playmaking center to create on his line so he doesn't have to.
Well that is obvious. Stoll is a shooter, and Purcell has never shown that he can be the playmaker he once in the AHL on NHL ice. Since we don't really have a playmaker for him at the moment though, they need to adapt to each other and use their strengths to make the line work. A shot with traffic can be just as effective as a cross-ice pass. That whole line needs to adapt.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
1. Cutting to Randy Carlyle's face in the middle of a Kings rush because they were talking about him instead of the play
I saw that and it bothered me. It was right as Doughty rushed the puck through the neutral zone. They cut back to the game and Ahler said "Just a great rush by Doughty when the game is on the line" or something like that. I'm sitting there thinking, "yeah, I bet it was great... wish I'd SEEN IT!"

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
is this where we start discussing what .500 is again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i'm sure we can (ar)range that.

Ahh... the old days.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Pucknut50

Though I despise them Getzlaf and Perry are just outstanding players. Those two were scary all night. What the hell happened to Kopitar he looks lost without Smyth.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Ollie Weeks

What's this "coming out of the woodwork now that the team is winning" garbage being spewed by Anaheim fans about us? Aren't they the ones who wrote the book on bandwagoning?

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
RightKinger

Reading the Ducks thread puts a smile on my face.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:29 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Reading the Ducks thread puts a smile on my face.
your post on the quacks board was priceless. haha nice

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
yes and the funny thing about that was that it was just a small stick check but because the new sticks snap like twigs, Hayward makes is sound like a Stoll pulled out a full on baseball swing to the duck's stick.
I don't think this was called a penalty because when Stoll brought this stick down he was playing the puck (if it's the play I'm thinking of). At least the puck was near his stick.

If there was no puck there to play, it could have been called slashing.

Did you notice when they talked about how good some of the Kings young players are, one of them had to get in the "well, when you finish as low as the Kings have over the last few years, you get these high draft picks." Like hockey fans don't know that.

Listening to the Ducks announcers is more painful than I remember - and it's only been several months.

The Kopitar bowling over Hiller was great too, like they didn't see the Ducks Dman push Kopitar into Hiller.

What was the announced crowd, 14500 or something? On tv, it looked much smaller than that.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
is this where we start discussing what .500 is again?
First we need to figure out what a range is.

Old
12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
Aren't they the ones who wrote the book on bandwagoning?
BINGO!! I like how they're not bringing up the 06-07 season. BTW, where did all those fans go? Lakers?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:59 PM
SLang

Reading that Ducks board thread was hilarious. All the complaining about the refs. Only one team got a 2-man advantage last night, just a few seconds after which they scored. That same team got, in effect, another 2-man advantage at the end of the game when their goalie was pulled and they almost tied it up.

That team wasn't the Kings.

The other thing that annoyed me was the failure to realize that sometimes, the refs have a tendency to even things up by making a non-call. I saw that a couple of times last night.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Cruel11
Harley Quinn

After practice today, Brandon Segal said he has a knee sprain, but apparently nothing more serious. Segal said he simply twisted the knee on his second shift of the game. Segal was in the locker room today wearing a soft brace.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
onlyalad

Warning this post is a bit random

Went to the game last night. Tons of Kings fans there. Very quiet in that building.
I thought Purcell had some good plays. He did have one bad turnover that led to an outnumbered attack, but not a goal. He made some smart passes that gave the Kings several quality chances.

Kings had the usual trouble clearing the zone. Both goalies were overworked. 40+ shots to30+ shot (I could look up the exact count but I am lazy). At the end it looked like a tie was in the cards.

glad the Kings got the win, but they need to cut down on shots and scoring chances. I am for the first time in a long time thinking that playoff hockey is happening this year, but the defense (not just the defensive players but total team defense) needs to improve the shots against.

Ducks actually named some Kings as stars of the game. I saw no sticks given out by either team. Hope that the trend reverses soon.

I thought it was a fun game to watch. I was really glad the Ducks didn't get even a loser point. Hope the Kings get healthy soon.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
What's this "coming out of the woodwork now that the team is winning" garbage being spewed by Anaheim fans about us? Aren't they the ones who wrote the book on bandwagoning?

don't insult Red Wings fans.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:53 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Look at the last page of this thread, everyone registered by 2008 and before, we have got to the point of bandwagon fans yet......

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:11 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Look at the last page of this thread, everyone registered by 2008 and before, we have got to the point of bandwagon fans yet......
Well and even registration date means... well... absolutely nothing.

I didn't know a place like this existed until last year, otherwise I would have registered YEARS earlier.

Registration date doesn't say "fan since 1990"

Old
12-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Reading that Ducks board thread was hilarious. All the complaining about the refs. Only one team got a 2-man advantage last night, just a few seconds after which they scored. That same team got, in effect, another 2-man advantage at the end of the game when their goalie was pulled and they almost tied it up.

That team wasn't the Kings.

The other thing that annoyed me was the failure to realize that sometimes, the refs have a tendency to even things up by making a non-call. I saw that a couple of times last night.
Yeah we never complain about refs when we lose do we?
Actually the post is what I see many times on this board when we lose. In fact I was over at the Ducks board and they sound just like this board 2 games ago.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Actually the post is what I see many times on this board when we lose. In fact I was over at the Ducks board and they sound just like this board 2 games ago.
Complain about the refs? Absolutely!

Blame the entire game on the refs while neglecting our own team's poor performance and giving no credit to the opposition? Only sometimes

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:41 PM
SLang

Quote:
I don't pretend to speak for this board, only myself. You won't find many, if any, posts by me whining about the refs...except maybe that game against Montreal last year.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I don't pretend to speak for this board, only myself. You won't find many, if any, posts by me whining about the refs...except maybe that game against Montreal last year.
Me too

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 05:01 PM
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

Did you notice when they talked about how good some of the Kings young players are, one of them had to get in the "well, when you finish as low as the Kings have over the last few years, you get these high draft picks." Like hockey fans don't know that.
Not only that, but they were talking about Jack Johnson specifically with that comment and the King's didn't exactly draft him did they? He was Carolina's draft pick and the King's got him in a trade.

I can't stand the Duck's announcers.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
JDM

Quote:
Rarely do we seem to complain about BIASED officiating. I think we complain about BAD officiating. Big difference.

Most here understand that even the worst of officials does a little balancing act as a game progresses.