HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

3 Oilers Invited To Team Canada WJC Selection Camp

Old
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
battlegoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Uh... no. A 17 year old is not going to compete for top-line centre with the reigning tournament leading scorer and CHL player of the year.

Patrice Cormier, I'd guess, will play above Seguin as well.
Hall is 18 and is just as good as Hogdson if not better... If Hodgson gets the top line center just because hes older then thats just dum but yes it will probably be the case. Hall is a winger anyways so hell probably be playing with Eberle and Hodgson anyways...

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:15 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who plays in Red Deer will be a top 3 pick

Ty Rattie
Duncan Siemans
Michael St.Croix
Brent Benson

Probably will hear these names early as well
Sean Couturier out in Quebec. 6'3, 185 lbs center. 20-15-35 in 29 games this year. Only problem is he's a worse skater than Tavares. 5'11, 160 lbs Ryan Murphy is next year's Ellis- 2-14-16 in 28 games for Kingston so far.

2011 is going to be a team loaded with first-time '91s though. A guy like McFarland who has all-world ability but almost no chance to crack the squad this year, non-invites like Martindale.

The Americans, meanwhile, have an extremely strong group- maybe their best since Montoya.

-Brandon Saad: Horse of a winger 6'1, 196
-Shane McColgan: Tiny, speedy winger in the mold of Kane
-Colin Jacobs:
-Seth Ambroz: Lanky 6'3 forward tearing up USHL
-Nick Shore: Brother of Panthers prospect Drew Shore

Should all make the team as 17 year-olds, to go along with whoever returns from this year's class of Jack Campbell, Derek Forbort, Stephen Johns, Jarred Tinordi, Cam Fowler, John Moore, Ryan Bourque, Jerry D'Amigo, Chris Kreider, Jeremy Morin and Kyle Palmieri.

Look at the size of the defense:

Fowler (6'1)-Moore (6'2)
Forbort (6'4)-Tinordi (6'5)
Johns (6'4)-Seth Jones ('94, son of NBA player is 6'2)

Add in Campbell's world-class goaltending and if the Americans are going to stop our streak it's next year.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

My guess is that Hall plays with Hodgson and Eberle.

Seguin might play on the 3rd line (because the fourth line will the grinding/energy line) or he might be the 13th forward.

My prediction is:

Hall - Hodgson - Eberle
Kadri - Schenn - Nemisz
Seguin/Kozun - Henrique - Glennie
Della Rovere - Cormier - Leblanc
(Seguin/Kozun)

Cowen - Teubert
Ellis - Pietrangelo
DeHaan - Gormley
(Weircioch)

Allen
Hackett/Roy

To be honest, I haven't really followed Roy, so it's possible he ends up being one of the goalies. However I think Allen will be the starter.

Cornet doesn't really have a chance will all the talent he's competing against. On paper, that team looks like the best team since 2005.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Big Dogge*

Weird, I always thought and have heard Hall referred to as a center by others. Can't he play both W and C?

Either way that sort of messes up the potential of an Oiler top 6 next year and beyond.

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dogge View Post
Weird, I always thought and have heard Hall referred to as a center by others. Can't he play both W and C?

Either way that sort of messes up the potential of an Oiler top 6 next year and beyond.
Hall plays both, but likely translates better as a winger at the next level because of his speed and demonic forechecking. Seguin, meanwhile, is a C who can play some RW, and while most will tell you he's a 'born center' again he's a guy who I think will play wing in the NHL.

Old
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
acidtek

Quote:
Of the eligible returnees, Regina Pats forward Jordan Eberle is a shoo-in to make the team. The same cannot be said for his national-team linemate, Cody Hodgson. The Brampton Battalion centre has yet to play a game this season due a nagging back ailment.

Hockey Canada isn't counting out Hodgson, though.

"With what Cody's done for us in the past ... we've got all kinds of time to wait for Cody," says Murray. "If he's available, he'll certainly be at our camp. And if he's not, I know that he'll have done everything possible to try to get ready."
Hodgson has barely started skating. If Team Canada decides to take Hodgson at less than 100% over someone else, more deserving, I think it would be a huge oversight. He hasn't skated since summer, the canucks totally misdiagnosed/screwed up the prognosis of his injury. He might start skating and mess it up again after 1 big hit. I wouldn't bank on Hodgson being on the team.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=2292862

acidtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtek View Post
Hodgson has barely started skating. If Team Canada decides to take Hodgson at less than 100% over someone else, more deserving, I think it would be a huge oversight. He hasn't skated since summer, the canucks totally misdiagnosed/screwed up the prognosis of his injury.
I didn't know the Oilers medical team shared staff with the Canucks.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:59 PM
hfboardsuser

If I'm TC I still take Hodgson along even if he can't play. Just having him in the dressing room to push the guys on would be huge.

Old
12-02-2009, 04:02 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
the occasional player u see come through junior that absolutely rips it up doesnt neccessarily get the draft status they deserve due to their pt production. look at schremp for an example. 130 pts in junior or whatever the number was???? wat does he go in the 20's overall to the oilers??? clearly 19 clubs knew something we didnt. or it was a risk they were willing to take...... its all based on maturity and how ur game fits into the top level that being the NHL. guys who put up 10 pts in a season as a d man can be drafted top 10 because their game is built on progression. cornet could probbaly be classified under this.
I think he was referring to making it on the Junior team, not making the NHL.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Hodgson has barely started skating. If Team Canada decides to take Hodgson at less than 100% over someone else, more deserving, I think it would be a huge oversight. He hasn't skated since summer, the canucks totally misdiagnosed/screwed up the prognosis of his injury. He might start skating and mess it up again after 1 big hit. I wouldn't bank on Hodgson being on the team.

They can take him as the 13th forward, and assess his health as the tournament rolls along.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Soundwave

I think Seguin is better than Hodgson anyway to be honest.

Hall Seguin Eberle

Will be crazy.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
0ilerman
The King

The WHL seems underrepresented compared to the other junior leagues...guess it's cyclical cause I remember when the dub was almost half the roster

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:08 PM
OttawaOilFan

Few questions:

1. What are Roy's chances of being on the team/being the starter?

2. How many other Oiler prospects will be representing their countries? I suppose MPS is a lock for the top two lines in sweden, what about Rajala and is Kytnar too old?

3. Has anyone had a chance to see Rajala play this year? I see he has one of the best points per game rating in the dub in terms of rookies. does he have much potential?

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Schitzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaOilFan View Post
Few questions:

2. How many other Oiler prospects will be representing their countries? I suppose MPS is a lock for the top two lines in sweden, what about Rajala and is Kytnar too old?
MPS and Lander for Sweden, Rajala and Hartikainen should both be eligible for Finland. Kytnar is too old.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
They wont make the team as a checker if anything Hall will center a all Windsor line with Henrique and Nemiz and Seguin battles it out with McFarland for the 13th forward spot

I can't remember a time when Canada had a 17 year old or younger player lead them in scoring maybe it was Lindros?

Cornet is gonna be in tough to make this team. He will need to outplay guys like Schenn and Hall because I would think Hodgson is pencilled in as the number 1 center and Cormier is the 4th line Energy line center.
I think Lindros was the last one and I agree with your sentiment that this an older player's tournament. But sometimes there are players who can handle it if you give them a chance. I think both Spezza and Stamkos were 2nd on their teams in scoring, and who knows where Stamkos would have finished if Hartsburg hadn't been so overly wary about using him and Tavares.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post

Seguin might play on the 3rd line (because the fourth line will the grinding/energy line) or he might be the 13th forward.

My prediction is:

Hall - Hodgson - Eberle
Kadri - Schenn - Nemisz
(Seguin/Kozun)

Cowen - Teubert
Ellis - Pietrangelo
DeHaan - Gormley
(Weircioch)

Allen
Hackett/Roy

To be honest, I haven't really followed Roy, so it's possible he ends up being one of the goalies. However I think Allen will be the starter.

Cornet doesn't really have a chance will all the talent he's competing against. On paper, that team looks like the best team since 2005.
I really doubt Gormley makes the squad. Personally I have Olsen in that spot, I dont think Gormley is ready push any of the older dmen out of their spots.

Last edited by 40oz: 12-02-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: double neg removal
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaOilFan View Post
Few questions:

1. What are Roy's chances of being on the team/being the starter?

3. Has anyone had a chance to see Rajala play this year? I see he has one of the best points per game rating in the dub in terms of rookies. does he have much potential?
I'm no expert, but I'll answer the first two, to the best of my knowledge

1. I think the starters job is fairly wide open, with no returning guys, so I think if he has a lights out camp he could grab the gig, I don't think he's the front runner though

2. Rajala will be on Finland's top line and I think we'll have another Finn there too, but I could be wrong, and yes Kytnar is too old.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:33 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:

I was gonna say the same thing, so many people thought it was ridiculous that Seguin and Hall were ahead of Hodgson, yet theirs a good chance Hodgson won't even be ready to play.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Louiss

I dont think that Roy will make the team...

Allen is definitely in front of him... maybe as a back-up if they want an 18yo mais if they go with the best 2 guys I dont see him there...

Cornet??? Maybe they'll try the Cornet, Caron Cormier line and put that as the 3rd or 4th line...

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Can't see Cornet making the cut, but who knows.

I think Roy has a good chance to grab the #1 spot with a great camp, and if he keeps playing the way he has recently in the Q.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
OttawaOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm no expert, but I'll answer the first two, to the best of my knowledge

1. I think the starters job is fairly wide open, with no returning guys, so I think if he has a lights out camp he could grab the gig, I don't think he's the front runner though

2. Rajala will be on Finland's top line and I think we'll have another Finn there too, but I could be wrong, and yes Kytnar is too old.
cool, thanks for the quick response. theres always promise in the oilers pipelne lol

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post

My prediction is:

Hall - Hodgson - Eberle
Kadri - Schenn - Nemisz
(Seguin/Kozun)

Cowen - Teubert
Ellis - Pietrangelo
DeHaan - Gormley
(Weircioch)

Allen
Hackett/Roy

Eakin should be in there IMO.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Ty Webb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Ya I had to laugh too reading the first few posts of this thread with people talkinga bout Hall and Seguin taking first line centre over Hodgson. I pretty much quit reading after that seeing as how Hall won't play centre regardless.

Anyhow, does anyone here see Cornet making the team?
I imagine people feel that way because Hodgson still hasn't played a game since his back problems were diagnosed. He's skating now, but he'll still be significantly behind people who have been in game mode for months. I hope he doesn't go to the tournament unless he's had at least a handful of games with Brampton first.

-oops, I see someone already addressed this better..

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:40 AM
40oz

If you havent checked it out yet, the Pipeline show has a great blog posting about the camp roster. Including some info about Cornet that really gets my hopes up. Apparently Eberle is pulling strings with the coach and trying to get him on the team.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...nd-misses.html

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:55 AM
smokersarejokers

Allen
Hackett/Roy (I'm really not sure about either guy. I'm obviously hoping for Roy)

Cowen Pietrangelo
Teubert Ellis
de Haan Olsen
Gormley

Eberle Henrique Hall
Glennie Schenn Kadri
Kozun Seguin Caron
Cormier LeBlanc Della Rovere
Nemisz

Like everyone else, I'd love to have Hodgson on the team. We'll see how he does during camp.

Last edited by smokersarejokers: 12-03-2009 at 01:00 AM.
smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote