HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers claim Christensen/Valiquette waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers)

Old
12-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Are you implying that Chad Johnson is going to push Hank?

This pick-up will do nothing for this team. We have other problems we need to deal with first.
Hallelujah! Someone gets it!

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:14 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
We shouldn't do anything stupid in the name of "shaking up" a team with minimal hope of hoisting the cup.
Spot on.

But let's give Sather his due. By and large, he hasn't traded prospects or draft picks for short term help. He's built up a farm system that was bone dry (Remember the Calder Cup Champion Hartford Wolf Pack and how many NHL'ers that team produced?) into one of the deepest and most productive in the NHL. And he's traded veterans for prospects like Ryan McDonagh and Nigel Williams. He's trying to win now and develop players for the future. Nice balance but tough to achieve.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Are you implying that Chad Johnson is going to push Hank?

Not at all. I was implying that Vally was a terrible option when Henrik has struggled and he was a poor backup. Had he performed better, he would have been a viable option. Hence the demotion.

Quote:
This pick-up will do nothing for this team. We have other problems we need to deal with first.

Hence the term "minimal"

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Pakeha

I am new to this thread. Have followed Christensen since he was in the AHL with WBS. Here is my 2 cents.

He can play centre and left wing. Better at centre because as others have mentioned he is a skill player and not a real power forward who can gut it out in the corners. That said he has played left wing effectively in the NHL.

Strengths - skill, speed (people really underestimate his speed), shot. He is known for his shoot-out skill, but has never had any recognition for his face-off ability (he was in the top half dozen face-off guys in the league one year).

Weaknesses - physicality, grit along the boards in winning pucks- he will never be a real physical player. I also find that his intensity is not consistent. As others have mentioned he was extremely hard on himself for not achieving more in his career and it has definitely impacted his game in the past.

His defensive game has improved immensely and while a bit of a weakness at the beginning of his NHL career it is fair to say that he is now a 2-way hockey player.

His time in Atlanta was difficult - he played injured (shoulder) for almost all the time he was there, as well as the end of last season in Anaheim. That definitely impacted his game - especially his ability to shoot the puck. It was very obvious to those who had watched him.

I havent watched the Rangers enough to know whether he is a fit. I noticed Torts said that he was picked up on the recommendation of the scouts (not him) so I did not get a great vibe from Torts about this transaction.

Regardless, EC has something to prove - he has another shot - I think he knows that he doesn't have a lot more chances. Time will tell if he can raise his game and gain a full-time spot.

A cheap pick-up for the Rangers with more upside than downside

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:03 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakeha View Post
I am new to this thread. Have followed Christensen since he was in the AHL with WBS. Here is my 2 cents.

He can play centre and left wing. Better at centre because as others have mentioned he is a skill player and not a real power forward who can gut it out in the corners. That said he has played left wing effectively in the NHL.

Strengths - skill, speed (people really underestimate his speed), shot. He is known for his shoot-out skill, but has never had any recognition for his face-off ability (he was in the top half dozen face-off guys in the league one year).

Weaknesses - physicality, grit along the boards in winning pucks- he will never be a real physical player. I also find that his intensity is not consistent. As others have mentioned he was extremely hard on himself for not achieving more in his career and it has definitely impacted his game in the past.

His defensive game has improved immensely and while a bit of a weakness at the beginning of his NHL career it is fair to say that he is now a 2-way hockey player.

His time in Atlanta was difficult - he played injured (shoulder) for almost all the time he was there, as well as the end of last season in Anaheim. That definitely impacted his game - especially his ability to shoot the puck. It was very obvious to those who had watched him.

I havent watched the Rangers enough to know whether he is a fit. I noticed Torts said that he was picked up on the recommendation of the scouts (not him) so I did not get a great vibe from Torts about this transaction.

Regardless, EC has something to prove - he has another shot - I think he knows that he doesn't have a lot more chances. Time will tell if he can raise his game and gain a full-time spot.

A cheap pick-up for the Rangers with more upside than downside
Thanks for the report.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:10 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Thanks for the report.
yeah that was an interesting read but it still leaves me scratching my head

i don't really get why we picked him up other than it simply being a motivational tool to light a fire under some of our bottom 6

but heres to hoping he turns into something useful

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

if he can win faceoffs he's an upgrade to the roster

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I do not have time to read through this entire thread, but two things that Christensen does well is win faceoffs and scores often in shootouts. We have been a brutal team on faceoffs this year so this move will help a little bit in that regard. I'm still mad that we let Betts go. Flyers' fans that I have talked too have been very happy with him, which we knew would be a given.

As for Vally, he's a great team guy, great personality, everybody likes him as a teammate but the bottom line is as a backup goalie in the NHL you need to step in when called upon, no matter if its once a week or once a month, and give your team a chance to win the game. Perhaps he'd be better with more playing time, but that's not going to happen with Henrik here. We can't give Henrik a rest and watch the backup give up soft goal after soft goal. At the end of the day you are what you are, and Valiquette right now is not a reliable NHL backup.

Interested to see how Chad Johnson does. If he fails, expect the Rangers to pick up a veteran goalie.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 01:26 AM
knives of ice

Rags have no chance with Sather as GM. Crusher is worth a shot, on paper he has all the potential in the world and with his shot he should score goals. for some reason he hasn't. but he is unreal in shootouts.

with the money the rangers have had to spend could any GM have done worse than Sather? seriously....this guy is unreal.

knives of ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:05 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I've stayed queit this whole thread, but I have to come in here and say I love Crusher, if he can get going we very well may be loving this move. He has potential, and flourishes in offensive systems.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:19 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
if he can win faceoffs he's an upgrade to the roster
this.

I think our inability to win faceoffs and our puck possesion are two things that are being seriously overlooked as major reasons why we've been so bad at scoring goals and playing defense in our own zone lately.

I expect Christensen to get a lot of ice time with all different lines and get a real shot here, in part as a wake-up call to everyone and in part because he brings certain things that can help us get out of this slump we're in lately.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Spot on.

But let's give Sather his due. By and large, he hasn't traded prospects or draft picks for short term help. He's built up a farm system that was bone dry (Remember the Calder Cup Champion Hartford Wolf Pack and how many NHL'ers that team produced?) into one of the deepest and most productive in the NHL. And he's traded veterans for prospects like Ryan McDonagh and Nigel Williams. He's trying to win now and develop players for the future. Nice balance but tough to achieve.
He's done some good, but more bad...

He hasn't traded prospects, but he hasn't had too many great one's either. I think his drafts have been fair... our prospect pool is good, but not great. We are currently stuck with many albatross contracts that will be nearly impossible to move, with players who are under-performing (that's being generous.) I'm not going to sit here, and say he's awful or the worst ever, but I'l be damned if I'm going to sit here and 'give credit' to a guy who has spent a ton of money, and will be lucky to have a playoff team at the end of the year. The prospect pool is solid, but devoid of top notch talent. Other teams have come up with some gems despite not having multiple top 5 picks...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:20 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

I see where this is going to.....now, people are talking Christensen into being the nex whoever who will fill in the spot this team desperately needed and so on, and when he turns out to be just another mediocre 3rd liner, the same people will jump on Sather, asking how in the world he could make such an obviuos dumb move. Christensen will not produce the way we need it, and if I read Paheka's post correctly, he won't even use his body the way we need it. I rather see him being benched/ scratched in a few weeks than being the new messiah. So would've rather seen some kid from the Wolf Pack taking the spot that's gonna be filled with Brash or Voros some weeks from now.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:21 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives of ice View Post
Rags have no chance with Sather as GM. Crusher is worth a shot, on paper he has all the potential in the world and with his shot he should score goals. for some reason he hasn't. but he is unreal in shootouts.

with the money the rangers have had to spend could any GM have done worse than Sather? seriously....this guy is unreal.
Overreaction of the century...for every bad contract he's handed out there's about 5 good moves you can cite.

And as it's already been said so many times, the guy has had us in the playoffs the past 4 years while not only retaining our young players, but adding more prospects

Old
12-03-2009, 04:29 AM
Komarov47

Hope Johnson won't be the back-up, let's see if Sather have a second plan and will bring a good backup for Lundqvist.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:47 AM
RangerFan10

maybe we're going to trade for Marty Biron... hahaha

Old
12-03-2009, 05:26 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
maybe we're going to trade for Marty Biron... hahaha
THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!

OH THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I'm not sure if this really belongs here, but I had a dream last night that I was on the tsn website and saw the rangers waived redden....haha, I just felt like sharing and didn't want to make a new thread about it... I'm still excited to see how christensen will be on the ice and how he fits with the team and to see Johnson with the team.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakeha View Post
Torts is not watching the Ducks late at night. John is more worried about his own team.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Roloson has a $2.5 million cap hit.

Old
12-03-2009, 06:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Valiquette will be claimed today. Sather loves Johnson

Quote:
Johnson, 23, who was acquired from the Penguins during last summer's draft for a fifth-round pick, appeared in 18 games for the Wolf Pack, with a 2.10 GAA and three shutouts. Said to be a favorite of GM Glen Sather's, Johnson was MVP of the CCHA when playing at the University of Alaska/Fairbanks.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...lies-1.1633958

Toronto claims Vally. The Monster had another heart scare. They say he will be fine who knows.

Sather put him on waivers knowing Burke will claim him.

Old
12-03-2009, 06:59 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Valiquette will be claimed today. Sather loves Johnson

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...lies-1.1633958

Toronto claims Vally. The Monster had another heart scare. They say he will be fine who knows.

Sather put him on waivers knowing Burke will claim him.
Why would burke claim him? just because gustavsson is out for an unknown amount of time? its not like the leafs are anywhere near .500 or anything.I'd say they are gonna ride joey mac down till toskala/gustavsson get back

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:06 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Agree with RB..Vally will be a Maple Leaf by days end.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:34 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Would be nice if Christensen became Rich Peverley part Deux

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:58 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

From the local paper...

http://newsminer.com/pages/full_stor...ce=uaf_nanooks

Rangers put in a call to ex-Nanooks goalie

SEATAC, Wash. — The New York Rangers called up goaltender Chad Johnson on Wednesday from their American Hockey League affiliate in Hartford, Conn., making him the fourth former Alaska Nanooks player to appear this season on a National Hockey League roster.

“That’s pretty cool. Hopefully, he’ll get to play,’’ Alaska head coach Dallas Ferguson said Wednesday night in Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, where the Nanooks had a long layover while waiting for a flight to Minneapolis.

While he’s with the Rangers, Johnson will be the backup for Henrik Lundqvist. He joins a roster that includes left wing Aaron Voros, a Nanooks left wing from 2001-04.

Johnson also joins defensemen Jordan Hendry of the Chicago Blackhawks and Tyler Eckford of the New Jersey Devils as the other former Nanooks to appear in the NHL this season. Hendry skated for Alaska from 2002-06 and Eckford was a Nanook from 2005-08.

Johnson, according to information from the Canadian Press on the TSN.ca Web site, was promoted after the Rangers waived backup goaltender Steve Valiquette on Wednesday.

Valiquette was 2-3-0 with a 3.74 goals against average and .852 saves percentage and he allowed all the goals Saturday in an 8-3 road loss to defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.

Johnson’s rookie season with the Hartford Wolf Pack seemed to be a carryover from his senior season with the Nanooks in 2008-09.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound native of Calgary, Alberta, has a 10-6-1 record with a 2.10 GAA , .926 saves percentage and three shutouts.

Johnson led NCAA Division I goaltenders last season with a 1.66 GAA and .940 saves percentage. He received the CCHA Player of the Year honor, two All-America recognitions and was among the top 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award, college hockey’s highest individual honor.

He was a key to the Nanooks placing fourth in the regular season and advancing to the CCHA Championship Tournament in Detroit.

Johnson registered six shutouts last season, giving him seven for his career and tying him with Fairbanks native Wylie Rogers (2004-08) for the all-time lead in Nanooks history.

Johnson, now 23, also finished 2008-09 with a 14-16-5 record in 35 games, leading to a career mark of 25-35-11 in 79 games with a 2.33 GAA and .918 saves percentage.

Johnson was taken 125th overall and in the fifth round by Pittsburgh in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. The Penguins traded his rights to the Rangers last June during the second day of the 2009 draft.

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote