HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers claim Christensen/Valiquette waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers)

Old
12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
So does anyone think the Jackets may look at Rozsival now?. Do they have a big contract to throw back. I would take Commodore at this pt. Atleast he has some bite. Maybe Sauer in the deal to just get rid of the contract. It would suck but it would be nice to save even a mil and a half since Commodore makes 3.5

Hope Christiensen can resurect his career. I still don't get why Vally went down. I like Occho but he's young and should be playing alot in the minors. He would of been fine stepping in next yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I just watched the video of the interview with christensen after practice today.

The guy sounds sad and just unconfident.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:17 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
So I assume Christensen will be in the lineup at Buffalo on Saturday?

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Musto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Yep, would love to replace Rozsival with Cammeleri.
sigh . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So does anyone think the Jackets may look at Rozsival now?. Do they have a big contract to throw back. I would take Commodore at this pt. Atleast he has some bite. Maybe Sauer in the deal to just get rid of the contract. It would suck but it would be nice to save even a mil and a half since Commodore makes 3.5
sigh again . . . somethings bound to give sometime. a team like the BJs might be looking to add to their defense considering the shaky goaltending so far. throw in a prospect and we might net a decent return. until then,

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:26 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Avery's got great hockey sense, definitely an underrated hockey player. He should have a place on the 2nd PP unit. He just knows where to go with the puck, which is a lot less than what you can say for most others on this roster right now
i actually am in complete disagreement with you here

not that i dislike avery, but i feel his hockey sense is lacking

its seems more like he has a tiny arsenal of sneaky passes that uses frequently...when they work they look like great plays, when they don't they look like horrible blind giveaways, but he tries them pretty much regardless of the situation or whos he's on the ice with

when he's playing with players like gaborik and prospal, who truly have an outstanding awareness and hockey sense, these plays and passes will work out more frequently, which makes him look better

when he's with lesser players you see a lot more giveaways because he forces the same plays and other players aren't aware enough to adapt

so essentially, my opinion is that what appears to be good hockey sense with avery more often than not is blind repetition of the same plays that some of the more aware players are able to adapt to and capitalize on

i personally think he has no business being on the 1st powerplay unit (2nd i would kind of understand) because he doesn't have the ability to control the puck well under pressure, nor does he have the awareness to make key passes when set up in the zone. More often than not, when we're actually set up in the offensive zone, avery looks lost when the puck gets to his stick, he holds it too long, and ultimately turns it over

thats my take on it at least

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 11:35 PM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

its seems more like he has a tiny arsenal of sneaky passes that uses frequently...when they work they look like great plays, when they don't they look like horrible blind giveaways, but he tries them pretty much regardless of the situation or whos he's on the ice with

when he's playing with players like gaborik and prospal, who truly have an outstanding awareness and hockey sense, these plays and passes will work out more frequently, which makes him look better

when he's with lesser players you see a lot more giveaways because he forces the same plays and other players aren't aware enough to adapt

so essentially, my opinion is that what appears to be good hockey sense with avery more often than not is blind repetition of the same plays that some of the more aware players are able to adapt to and capitalize on

i personally think he has no business being on the 1st powerplay unit (2nd i would kind of understand) because he doesn't have the ability to control the puck well under pressure, nor does he have the awareness to make key passes when set up in the zone. More often than not, when we're actually set up in the offensive zone, avery looks lost when the puck gets to his stick, he holds it too long, and ultimately turns it over

agreed, he loves the sneak pass from the corner. You've seen it with dubinsky and antropov last season, and with jagr a couple years ago. I think he is alright, he is pretty strong along the boards

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 11:47 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I just watched the video of the interview with christensen after practice today.

The guy sounds sad and just unconfident.
I thought the same, but I feel like he's in desperation mode. He know's he's on thin ice, he knows now is the more the time than ever to put his foot down and put in the work. I think if he really is an NHL talent (where ever that may be) you'll see it with the Rangers, otherwise he may have dried up the opportunity well.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 05:54 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Christensen sounds realistic about his future in the NHL

Quote:
"Iím on my fourth team in three years, so I understand my chances are running out," Christensen, who was pointless in nine games with the Ducks this year, said following yesterdayís first practice with the Blueshirts. "You donít keep getting chances.

"If I fail here, teams arenít going to be knocking the door down to get me. Thatís when you get thrown out the window or play in Europe. I donít want that. I want to work hard and prove that I belong here."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...85DoMLqzOUeOzH

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 05:56 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
There were no promises made concerning a return to New York for goaltender Steve Valiquette, who was waived to the AHL Wolf Pack yesterday after serving as Henrik Lundqvist’s backup since Feb. 15, 2007.

"There were no guarantees," coach John Tortorella said. "I told Steve that this is the only way for [him] to get back, that the assignment is open-ended and now it’s up to him to do his work.
"The reality is that Steve doesn’t play a whole bunch and that he was not going to get his game back by practicing. As he goes through it, we’ll get reports and make our decision accordingly."
Quote:
Tortorella did not guarantee that Johnson would get the backup job if Valiquette is not recalled, saying only that this move will give the team, "a chance to see Johnson."

Old
12-04-2009, 05:56 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Christensen sounds realistic about his future in the NHL

Wonder what his mentality was in anaheiim

"3s my lucky charm oh yeahh"!!

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 06:45 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post

"3s my lucky charm oh yeahh"!!
Quote:
"People expect me to be a scorer, everyone talks about the skill that I have, but I havenít been able to produce," said Christensen, who recorded 27 goals in 110 games for the Penguins in 2006-07 and 2007-08, but has scored just nine goals in 83 games since the initial trade. "I have skill. I can shoot the puck and make plays.

"Thereís no reason with my size and ability to skate that I canít [succeed] on the NHL level. Thereís no reason."
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0YitCG4Vw

That's my favorite quote. He is right about his size and skating ability.

The Caps have had success picking up guys off the scrap heap. Matt Bradley failed in San Jose and Pittsburgh before becoming a good role player for the Caps. David Steckel is another guy. Former 1st round pick from Ohio State. Put up decent offensive numbers in college and the AHL. The Kings gave up on him. The Caps picked him up. Steckel is a good role player for them. His offense did not translate in the NHL so he used to size and ability to win face-offs to carve a career. Brian Boyle is following the same career path as Steckel. Boyle has to work on his face-offs but that's Mike Sullivan's job to help him. Teaching and developing players doesn't stop when the player reaches the NHL.

Old
12-04-2009, 07:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm glad that Christensen has a realistic view of his standing in the league and on the team. And hopefully his motivation will turn into solid production for us. I'm not really optimistic, but with the way the season has gone so far, why the hell not?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 07:45 AM
NYRangers84

Don't know why but I've got a good feeling about this Christensen. Looking at his shootout goals on youtube, he looks very skillful and maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Sooner or later we have to get it right with the secondary scoring maybe Christensen is going to be our lucky catch?

Too bad Renney isn't still coach, he would be racking up a lot of "shootout wins" with how good Christensen is in the shootout

NYRangers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 08:04 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

I just watched the interview with Christensen and it leaves me purely shocked. This guys seems to have abolutely zero confidence, talking with low voice, shoulders hanging down, eyes to the ground. This kid seems to me like more like a suicide candidate than a competitive NHL player. I just hope for him he finds some friends in NY, doesn't get kicked out of the team too soon and more importantly, doesn't get picked on by the Garden Faithful.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
What's everyone's mentality in Anaheim? They're arguably a bigger mess than the Rangers right now.

Not sure I'm going to read too much into his demeanor in the interview. Seems like his head is spinning, but at least he's conscious of what he needs to do. A lot of people on this team would benefit from a tablespoon of desperation in their games.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 08:35 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

ec isnt gonna make a bit of difference.

hes a waiver pickup. hes has marginal talent. if ever there was a guy who was not a torts guy, its him.

hes not physical
he has no edge
he has ability but doesnt use it
his confidence is fragile
hes coming to a fragile team where he needs to step right in and produce.

if the kid gives the puck away early or loses his man on a goal against, torts will staple him to the bench immediately and hell have plenty of time to reflect on how much he sucks.

im not confident that this game is going to be pleasant. my feeling is were gonna get trashed in buf tomorrow night. ill be there in person with 5 sabres fans and i will just drink away the pain once the beating commences.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 08:36 AM
ThirdEye

I'm not getting my hopes up. There literally hasn't been one player that we picked up from the scrap heap in the last few years that has actually contributed in any worthwhile way to this team, and there has been a lot of them.

He can't possibly be any worse than Voros though. But I can't see how that's going to help the team

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 08:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Watching the interview OnDemand with Christensen made me depressed.

He didnt sound very confident in himself and you would think that coming to a new team would raise his spirits a bit. I appreciated his honesty, but quite frankly the Rangers need an injection of confidence, not someone who is doubting their ability and stepping into this opportunity thinking it could be their last stop in the NHL.

But hey, good luck to him - and the Rangers. They could really use a good start to December.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 08:49 AM
NYRangers84

I saw the interview with Erik and he did seem pretty depressed. I'm hoping that he's just saving all his excitement for the ice. We'll have to see how he does tomorrow night and the following games, I hope he scores one early and gets a boost of confidence.

NYRangers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 08:59 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

How high would your confidence be if your team just basically dumped and gave you away for nothing? I can't blame the guy, he's probably shell shocked and has to relocate 3000 miles away. He *CAN'T* be a worse option than Voros and maybe there's an upside if he gets a few breaks.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

Not to nitpick, but doesn't that problem reside with the other players on his line.
It's like your saying avery isn't good because the other guys on his line aren't in position or can't score.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:19 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

patrick rismiller 2.0

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:35 AM
94now

What No will he wear?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:38 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
patrick rismiller 2.0
No rissmiller was actually good on his last team before the rangers.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:38 AM
WVP

Christensen's struggled with confidence issues big time in Pittsburgh. Doesn't look like something he's going to get over anytime soon. It's actually a bit sad as he seems like a nice person.

But he needs to be in Europe or in some roller hockey league. Dude's got talent, but not enough talent to overcome his passive nature. If he played with a "balls to the wall", all out style he'd be more effective, but this only happens in 3 game spurts a few times a season.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote