HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Rafalski Questionable; Kindl to (FINALLY!) debut?

Old
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Filppula
Jurks

vCash: 500
Rafalski Questionable; Kindl to (FINALLY!) debut?

Oh man, oh man!! Calm down!

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....an_rafals.html
Quote:
Patrick Eaves out, Brian Rafalski questionable; Red Wings might recall Jakub Kindl from Grand Rapids

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings' injury list continues to expand.

Forward Patrick Eaves will sit out his second straight game, Thursday against Edmonton at Joe Louis Arena, due to a sore left ankle. Defenseman Brian Rafalski also could miss the game, due to a sore back. Rafalski's back stiffened up on him 10 minutes into practice, forcing him to leave.

Coach Mike Babcock said Jakub Kindl would be recalled from Grand Rapids (AHL) if Rafalski can't play. The club has an extra forward to fill in for Eaves, who is day-to-day after skating over a rut in the ice during Monday's morning skate. Eaves said X-rays revealed no damage.

Kindl has one goal, a team-leading 11 assists and a minus-2 rating in 19 games with the Griffins. The Red Wings' first-round pick in 2005, he has yet to play in an NHL game.

Hes a good player, he can move the puck, hes 6-foot-3, he can skate,'' Babcock said. "One day hes got to be an NHL player.''

In an effort to spark Pavel Datsyuk, Babcock switched Todd Bertuzzi and Ville Leino in practice.

I switched Homer (Tomas Holmstrom) and Leino last game, then today I moved Bert and Leino,'' Babcock said. "Just trying to find someone for Pav to get him going.''

Here are the lines they skated with:

Leino-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Cleary
Draper-Helm-Miller
May-Abdelkader-Maltby

Lidstrom-Ericsson
Stuart-Lebda
Meech-Lilja (out)

Howard (starting)
Osgood
Could this be what we've all been waiting for?!

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
We've been waiting for yet another injury to hit our already limping, depleted team? I'm a Kindl supporter, too, but this is not how I want to get a look at him in Detroit.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
We've been waiting for yet another injury to hit our already limping, depleted team? I'm a Kindl supporter, too, but this is not how I want to get a look at him in Detroit.
Oh don't be such a party pooper!

Rafalski is injured (if you can can a stiff back an injury), big deal. He's good for a handful of turnovers, poor passes and 'cya later, my man just beat me wide's a game. I just want to look at Kindl wearing the mighty Winged Wheel!

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:36 PM
CC Chiefs*

I think there are enough AHL player's in Detroit right now.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:39 PM
ProPAIN
Be realgud!

I definitely wanted to see something new, so this could be good. He is highly regarded as a prospect and maybe Rafalski could use a sit down and recuperate (cause honestly he has been ****).

But I prefer Eaves to Maltby. He seems to improve every game and there is no use to scratch him, unless he is injured.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:48 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Not to mention he'll likely get less time too then Lebda and/or Meech and play in limited minutes.

Im all for calling him up too but i would want it to be a legitimate shot. Some PP time for the ***** and gigs of it. Show us what he has. Everyone here hates Raffy but we need him for the PP big time.

Oh well, im sure he gets called up and Rafalski ends up being a GTD that ends up playing.

Kindl's -4 the other night isnt overly impressive either right this second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I definitely wanted to see something new, so this could be good. He is highly regarded as a prospect and maybe Rafalski could use a sit down and recuperate (cause honestly he has been ****).

But I prefer Eaves to Maltby. He seems to improve every game and there is no use to scratch him, unless he is injured.
Im wondering if Lidstrom is hurt too. He is REALLLLLLLY struggling offensively this year and it seems like its more then just a slump. Either the old age has caught up to his offensive game or he's hurt. I think he's hurt because some nights he just looks snakebitten.

I also perfer Eaves to Maltby. Eaves works hard, finishes checks and atleast has some offensive game in him. Maltby, not so much.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Took the words right out of my mouth Winger, my sediments exactly. As much as I want to see Kindl get a chance to play a game or two up here, its coming at the expense of another injury, a word me or any other Wings fan should not want to hear....... regardless if it's serious or not!

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Not to mention he'll likely get less time too then Lebda and/or Meech and play in limited minutes.

Im all for calling him up too but i would want it to be a legitimate shot. Some PP time for the ***** and gigs of it. Show us what he has. Everyone here hates Raffy but we need him for the PP big time.

Oh well, im sure he gets called up and Rafalski ends up being a GTD that ends up playing.

Kindl's -4 the other night isnt overly impressive either right this second.
Yeah, if he was getting called up to take Meech's place for a game or two it'd be a different story. Or if Kronwall was healthy or even Lilja. But right now, with injuries hitting us everywhere, I'd rather just not have any more injuries for awhile.

If Kindl ends up playing, I'm betting he slots in with Lebda and neither of them see a lot of time while we then ride Lids, Stuart and E mercilessly.

Old
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
zecke26

i'd rather see janik or kolosov in a limited role.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Yeah, if he was getting called up to take Meech's place for a game or two it'd be a different story. Or if Kronwall was healthy or even Lilja. But right now, with injuries hitting us everywhere, I'd rather just not have any more injuries for awhile.

If Kindl ends up playing, I'm betting he slots in with Lebda and neither of them see a lot of time while we then ride Lids, Stuart and E mercilessly.
Do u really want him to take Meech's place? Trust me i've never really thought anything of Meech, still ticked we dumped Quincey instead of him, but.... he's actually impressed me the way he's stepped in and actually shown some potential. He's moved the puck very well, played solid D, looked like he could potentially one day run the point on the 2nd PP unit and showed a physical side to his game. All plus, plus's in my book, if he was to take over for anyone it would be the most useless player on are team and that prestigous honor would go too, I almost want to say one dimenisonal but I'm not sure he has any dimensions(yea skating, I know) Brett Lebda.

edit: should of read the your last paragraph..... ooops. My statement is still relevant though.

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaAnotherWingsFaN View Post
Do u really want him to take Meech's place? Trust me i've never really thought anything of Meech, still ticked we dumped Quincey instead of him, but.... he's actually impressed me the way he's stepped in and actually shown some potential. He's moved the puck very well, played solid D, looked like he could potentially one day run the point on the 2nd PP unit and showed a physical side to his game. All plus, plus's in my book, if he was to take over for anyone it would be the most useless player on are team and that prestigous honor would go too, I almost want to say one dimenisonal but I'm not sure he has any dimensions(yea skating, I know) Brett Lebda.

edit: should of read the your last paragraph..... ooops. My statement is still relevant though.
Meech or Lebda, I'd honestly be fine with either. And it's not really because I have anything hugely against either player, I just don't want to see Kindl pushed into the lineup because we're losing a guy like Rafalski to injury.

Old
12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I'll believe it when I see it.

The last time I saw Kindl play was in an OHL game. I've been wondering how he's never had a call-up before either. Braintrust must not want to expose too early, I suppose, but there have a few times (like last year) where I thought he'd get at least a game.

Old
12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
After all this, I sincerely hope this guy doesn't suck.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
After all this, I sincerely hope this guy doesn't suck.

There have been times when, in the very darkest corners of my mind, I've wondered if he's a bust-- seeing we never get to see him.

Old
12-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Johnny Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
I think there are enough AHL player's in Detroit right now.
I can't believe it but I agree with you, Kindl isn't ready, he turns the puck over too much and still reverts back to a more offensive mindset at times.

Janik is a more appropriate call up though admittedly less exciting.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 05:01 PM
ProPAIN
Be realgud!

I have never seen Kindl play and the only chat I have heard about him is here on the forums so I am trusting you guys.

Yeah, why isn't Janik given more of a chance? He played fine against Boston. He played nearly 14 mins (2 of them on the PK) and it was even a match where Osgood got a rare shutout. I think he should be given more chances.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
I'd guess Raffi plays tomorrow. If he doesn't the Wings might as well give the kid a game, he's on a 1 way deal next year. We don't want him playing next year w/o any NHL games under his belt do we? I mean, we probably should get our "trade Kindl" talk out of the way this year instead of next right?

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 05:49 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzenstein View Post
I'd guess Raffi plays tomorrow. If he doesn't the Wings might as well give the kid a game, he's on a 1 way deal next year. We don't want him playing next year w/o any NHL games under his belt do we? I mean, we probably should get our "trade Kindl" talk out of the way this year instead of next right?

Exactly.. I hope he sees a couple more games this year, regardless of injuries.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
FabricDetails

Hopefully the Wings have a plan for him during this call up so that he doesn't try to do too much during games. That's when his game looks really, really bad.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Hopefully the Wings have a plan
no, never! they just call up and pray!

Old
12-02-2009, 06:26 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
no, never! they just call up and pray!
Haha. It seemed that way with Howard a couple years ago. I should've said good plan.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:27 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I would love to see Kindl in the lineup, hopefully playing with Lidstrom while Stuey and Ericsson play together. I hope it plays out like they had Lidstrom paired with Ericsson for a while.

And I am shocked by the negative comments about Rafalski. He is very underrated. I guess the only way to appreciate what he does is when we see how much worse our team is without him in the lineup. I guess the 08/09 playoffs are too far away to remember.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Braby91

Update: He has been called up, Rafalski moves to "doubtful"

Braby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Haha. It seemed that way with Howard a couple years ago. I should've said good plan.
well, i guess they are a bit curious. preseason games are simply not good enough to really judge players. so it might be the chance to find out how far he developed. in GR he's asked to do a lot. in detroit his job is not to be a #1. so i guess that might limit his mistakes.

i was pretty disappointed about kindl in the preseason, he looked like newbie to hockey at times, totally out of the game and not able to do something right. but that was just a small frame, so i'm curious how he'd look with the wings during the season. although i had hoped to see him joining a good working defensive unit and not the pieces we have left at the moment.

Old
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I would love to see Kindl in the lineup, hopefully playing with Lidstrom while Stuey and Ericsson play together. I hope it plays out like they had Lidstrom paired with Ericsson for a while.

And I am shocked by the negative comments about Rafalski. He is very underrated. I guess the only way to appreciate what he does is when we see how much worse our team is without him in the lineup. I guess the 08/09 playoffs are too far away to remember.
I'm sure the Wings looking rough without Rafalski in the playoffs had nothing to do with the fact that they were facing their toughest opponents with a Datsyuk-less team. After all, Rafalski contributed a TON after returning to the Wings-Ducks series with a whopping 7 PIM and 0 points in the 2 games he played.

For a guy who is seeing 4 minutes of PPTOI per game, leads his team in ESTOI per game, doesn't play the PK, and is getting paid $6M, he should be doing a hell of a lot more than being on pace for 39 points, +3, and 92 giveaways.

Not to mention, his 28 giveaways leads the Red Wings, as does his -23 GA/TA differential. Hes also played 42+ more minutes on the PP than Kronwall, and has played in 4 more games, and still hasn't tied him for the team lead in points among Dmen.

Yeah, so underrated.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote