HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacIntyre waived again by Florida

Old
12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
I think we have far more important things to worry about. Things like:

-Secondary scoring.
-Defensive toughness.
-Team identity.

These things come to mind. Not getting another enforcer.
getting another enforcer ranks right below getting Henrik's Lamborghini waxed in terms of what this team needs right now

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
we don't have one.
One that can't skate or play a regular shift will not help this team. Having a heavyweight fighter is a luxury for the team, not a necessity; Orr is a perfect example of why.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Exactly! Brashear is never going to be on the ice the same time as Gaborik. But if they had a Getzlaf-type on the top line, with size and skill and willingness to drop the gloves, that would be an improvement.

This is EXACTLY the type of player we need. The 4th line barely sees the ice in a Tortorella-run team. This team hasn't had a power forward in their prime since Messier (and even he was on the wrong side of 30 when the Rangers acquired him). A power forward who plays in the top 6 fulfills our team needs of toughness AND scoring.
Care to give us a realistic example, because I'm stumped. I don't think there is one "physical, top six power forward" that we could acquire that wouldn't cost us the farm.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I really don't think that having one goon does anything.

The Rangers always have one goon, who always sucks, and we always face the same problem. IMO the reason for that is because the rest of the team is soft. So, when Brashear isn't getting his 4 minutes of ice time a game, and Gaborik is getting into it in front of the net, no one is there to protect him.

The Rangers need grit up and down the line up, not online on one crappy 4th liner. If you have a gritty lineup, a goon is fine. If you have a soft lineup, a goon hardly does anything, because a soft team means they rely on finesse to win, so the goon can't get a lot of ice time.

What the team needs is grit, not a goon. Not just 4th liners who suck. Voros sucks, and he sucks at fighting. Brashear sucks, and he's old, and doesn't do anything. Who else on this team fights? Callahan if he has to, but he's a light-middle weight. Dubinsky sometimes, but he's the same. Gilroy? Yeah, that worked out great. I give him credit, but when Gilroy has to be the one sticking up for teammates, you know it's bad.

How about we get a legit power forward? (I know this is easier said than done, so I'm posing this rhetorically). A guy like Shanahan in his prime is what we need, someone who can score, and who can kick some ass if needed. A guy like Roenick, or Iginla, or Lindros. It doesn't even have to be someone as skilled as that, but someone who can be a legit second liner, and whoop some ass.

Goons are useless when no one else on the team will fight when Gaborik is getting hammered in front of the net. This team is soft as hell, and there's nothing about it. Not only are we not skilled, but we're not strong. That's a bad mixture. We have some good pieces in place for sure, but we need some bruising second line players, not crappy 4th liner fighters.

Love this post. The Stanley Cup Rangers had Joe Kocur but it also had toughness and nastiness throughout the lineup. Messier, Graves, Beukeboom, Wells, Kypreos, Matteau, Tikkanen, Lowe, Anderson. Compared to that team the current team and the few preceding it are a bunch of chumps. Those teams around 94 included Domi, Kris King, Samuelsson, Langdon, Mallette. They were hard to play against. What's more--they had more size and more skill.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
eco's bones

On McIntyre. It depends. Waiving a guy such as Voros doesn't necessarily mean you're losing him. If no one picks him up he's still a contract the team holds and I'm not sure where we are but we might be right at 50.

I also don't know if Slats is working on other trades that picking up another player would hamper.

OTOH I don't expect we're going to pick up a secondary scorer or a good defenseman off the waiver wire. Usually you get pluggers and border line players and sometimes there's a goon or a backup goalie. What I do know is Brashear isn't doing the job and that McIntyre would give us a legit enforcer and though it might not be a solution towards winning more games it might at least give other teams something to think about--for instance that they just can't run roughshod all over us. There's nothing like losing and at the same time watching your players getting knocked around all over the place.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
Care to give us a realistic example, because I'm stumped. I don't think there is one "physical, top six power forward" that we could acquire that wouldn't cost us the farm.
I never suggested there was one. These types of players are hard to find, which is why the Rangers haven't had one in their prime since Messier. Maybe Kreider will be the next.

I was just trying to make the point that a one dimensional "goon" is not the ideal answer to making this team tougher. There needs to be toughness up and down the lineup, meaning that these tough players must possess some skill, unlike the prototypical 4th line enforcer.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:39 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
No not even at a AHL level. Grab MacIntyre waive Voros. safe cap and get Voros out of getting his nightly beating
Voros has been solid this year in his fights, I think he's been taking lessons from Brash *shrug*

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:14 AM
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner

Big Mac wasn't waived, he was sent down. Not sure how Florida can send him down w/out having to clear waivers since they just claimed him like 2 weeks ago but apparently they did

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Levitate

if he has cleared waivers any time in the past month I think they can send him down

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Jim Morrison

Draft Gabriel Landeskog in 2011. Next coming of Brenden Morrow. He's already playing on one Rangers team (Kitchener)

Last edited by Jim Morrison: 12-03-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:19 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
I think he was just replying to my post, in which I said that's what we need (and I also said that this suggestion was kind of hypothetical, because like you said, I can't think of anyone like that which we could easily acquire).

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote