HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hawks Lock Em Up.

Old
12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I don't. I want the Oilers to pop in now and then
If the Oilers can get into the conference final once in the next ten years I would consider them a success.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post
i think they will get past the tagging issue quite easily, but I am interested to see how they put together the same quality roster next year with the amount of RFAs they have to re-sign. Not saying they won't be able to do it...just saying it will be interesting to watch. Key players (although not core players) up for contract are Ladd, Eager, Hjalmarsson and Niemi, all of which will be due at least minimal raises, Hjalmarsson most likely the largest.
If the cap is 55 mil like a lot of people expect

-Trade Byfuglien , Barker and Versteeg for various non cap assets (Picks + Prospects)
-Trade Huet by offering assets like a 1st with him or waive him
-Trade or waive Sopel
-Resign our RFA Hendry , Niemi , Hjalmarsson , Ladd and Skille (Skille will be less then his ELC and Hjalmarsson and Ladd will get a solid raise)
-Acquire an RFA goalie such as Halak or Harding and sign them to a deal with a cap hit of 2 million

Then bring up rookies to fill roster spots
Beach - Byfuglien
Skille - Versteeg
Dowell - Madden
Connelly - Barker

Hawks have been rebuilding our depth in system and I believe that all these guys can replace some of the production of those lost

Sharp (3.9) - Toews (6.3) - Hossa (5.275)
Beach (1.2) - Bolland (3.375) - Kane (6.3)
Ladd (2.0) - Dowell (.525) - Brouwer (1.025)
Kopecky (1.2) - Fraser (.750) - Skille (.975)

Keith (5.5) - Seabrook (3.5)
Campbell (7.143) - Hjalmarsson (1.3)
Connelly (.875) - Hendry (.750)

Halak/Harding (2.0)
Niemi (.925)

Cap hit = 54.818

Hawks lose some depth but our elite talent stays and we can field a potent team even with them gone

This all is based on the #'s being reported for the Kane, Toews and Keith deals are accurate

If we could package Campbell + assets to clear him that would also help a lot and allow us to keep some of our depth.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Some numbers.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=300811

Great deals for the Hawks.
Good deals, but not steals by any means. As noted by our esteemed Chicago colleague, they'll probably have to look for a discount goalie type during the season or in the offseason (another Anderson would be a fantastic coup on their part).

My favourite part of the article:

"Names rumoured to be on the move include defencemen Brent Sopel and Cam Barker, with the Toronto Maple Leafs reportedly showing interest."

Do the Leafs ever not show interest? And in more defensemen? Haha!

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
rprice92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
If the cap is 55 mil like a lot of people expect

-Trade Byfuglien , Barker and Versteeg for various non cap assets (Picks + Prospects)
-Trade Huet by offering assets like a 1st with him or waive him
-Trade or waive Sopel
-Resign our RFA Hendry , Niemi , Hjalmarsson , Ladd and Skille (Skille will be less then his ELC and Hjalmarsson and Ladd will get a solid raise)
-Acquire an RFA goalie such as Halak or Harding and sign them to a deal with a cap hit of 2 million

Then bring up rookies to fill roster spots
Beach - Byfuglien
Skille - Versteeg
Dowell - Madden
Connelly - Barker

Hawks have been rebuilding our depth in system and I believe that all these guys can replace some of the production of those lost

Sharp (3.9) - Toews (6.3) - Hossa (5.275)
Beach (1.2) - Bolland (3.375) - Kane (6.3)
Ladd (2.0) - Dowell (.525) - Brouwer (1.025)
Kopecky (1.2) - Fraser (.750) - Skille (.975)

Keith (5.5) - Seabrook (3.5)
Campbell (7.143) - Hjalmarsson (1.3)
Connelly (.875) - Hendry (.750)

Halak/Harding (2.0)
Niemi (.925)

Cap hit = 54.818

Hawks lose some depth but our elite talent stays and we can field a potent team even with them gone

This all is based on the #'s being reported for the Kane, Toews and Keith deals are accurate

If we could package Campbell + assets to clear him that would also help a lot and allow us to keep some of our depth.
how big is beach? cuz byfuglien is like penner big plays in the corners very well and goes to the net. not as offensively gifted as penner but still that is a big body thats hard to move when he's on.

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
how big is beach? cuz byfuglien is like penner big plays in the corners very well and goes to the net. not as offensively gifted as penner but still that is a big body thats hard to move when he's on.
Beach is 6'3" and 210 and still growing.

He also plays with an edge that sometimes gets him into trouble.

he's currently playing for the Everett Silvertips and has 19G 9A 28P 79PIM in 24GP.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:20 PM
JohnAlexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
We downgrade our goaltender, pick up an overrated defenseman and give up Cogs and Grebs. All this for Aliu?
Well I just threw that together on the fly.

I think Barker is a distinct upgrade on Gilbert and Grebs especially in a rebuild. At 23 now he'll be in his prime right as the Oilers would be poised to contend. Along with being arguably better already than Grebs or Gilby on offense, what I like most about him is his physicality. Something that's sorely lacking in both of the aforementioned.

The downgrade in goal makes a lot of sense from the Oilers perspective as well. Huet's contract expires right when the Oilers would begin to contend. And if you're going to be continuing to rebuild for 2-3 years having a goalie who's less likely to steal you games but still a bona fide starter has it's advantages.

If not Aliu then sub in a 1st...or if you don't think that's fair then how about 1st + Aliu.

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:27 PM
rprice92

Quote:
Beach is 6'3" and 210 and still growing.

He also plays with an edge that sometimes gets him into trouble.

he's currently playing for the Everett Silvertips and has 19G 9A 28P 79PIM in 24GP.
hmmm. i dunno, i am one of the few that like byfuglien and gives that team a big body presence and fights when necessary i think he helps make space for kane when they play on a line together

Old
12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
hmmm. i dunno, i am one of the few that like byfuglien and gives that team a big body presence and fights when necessary i think he helps make space for kane when they play on a line together
I like him too but Tallon paid a little too much for him IMO. Beach wouldn't be much of a downgrade and he'll be on an ELC.

Old
12-03-2009, 03:39 PM
rprice92

Quote:
I like him too but Tallon paid a little too much for him IMO. Beach wouldn't be much of a downgrade and he'll be on an ELC.
fair enough. i just like the hawks A LOT i've been to the last 3 oiler games against the hawks here and wearing my toews jersey. they are a formidable team (plus lots of winnipeg players).

i'm still skeptical about huet, but he's been playing well lately. i just hope they're one team that can stay together for a long time

Old
12-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Fourier

The Hawks have obvious cap issues next year, but I expect they will be able to dance around these. If they can find a cheap goalie, it looks like they are going to be very very good for a long time.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:08 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Just an idea.

I wonder if the Oilers could pry the Hawks first round pick out of them in return for taking Sopel's expiring contract?

Old
12-03-2009, 05:13 PM
rprice92

Quote:
Just an idea.

I wonder if the Oilers could pry the Hawks first round pick out of them in return for taking Sopel's expiring contract?
even with hemsky's contract this year basically off the books and getting a first, how serviceable can sopel be? i feel we already have a sopel (in strudwick) on the oilers. wouldn't it just be redundant?

and with this year being a write-off, wouldn't the development of chorney or peckham (later on the year coming up) be much more worth it than having sopel take up a spot?

Old
12-03-2009, 05:17 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
even with hemsky's contract this year basically off the books and getting a first, how serviceable can sopel be? i feel we already have a sopel (in strudwick) on the oilers. wouldn't it just be redundant?

and with this year being a write-off, wouldn't the development of chorney or peckham (later on the year coming up) be much more worth it than having sopel take up a spot?
All about getting the pick. Send Sopel to Springfiled.

Old
12-03-2009, 05:27 PM
rprice92

Quote:
All about getting the pick. Send Sopel to Springfiled.
what's his cap hit? not that it would matter in the minors and what if he refuses to report after the trade/sending down

Old
12-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Just an idea.

They should just waive him, then.

OT, but there's some new HTML element on this site that is offsetting this text field by about 600 pixels to the left on Safari. WTF?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
what's his cap hit? not that it would matter in the minors and what if he refuses to report after the trade/sending down
I think it's like $2.3M.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
They should just waive him, then.

OT, but there's some new HTML element on this site that is offsetting this text field by about 600 pixels to the left on Safari. WTF?
Using Firefox I get the message-typing buch far out to the right, juxtaposed with the ad under the links.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
Using Firefox I get the message-typing buch far out to the right, juxtaposed with the ad under the links.
It's almost like they didn't test before they deployed. Yeesh. Terrible.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote