HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Kris Russell signs 3-year extension

Old
10-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Hugg

vCash: 500
Kris Russell signs 3-year extension

Per Portzline Twitter:

Quote:
Blue Jackets just announced the signing of D Kris Russell to a three-year contract extension.
http://twitter.com/Aportzline

Interesting move

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Per Portzline Twitter:

http://twitter.com/Aportzline

Interesting move
Just saw this and was about to post it. Interesting move for sure, I guess this means the organ-eye-zation see Russ as part of the core future. Suprising somewhat because he doesn't fit the mold of a typical Hitchcock defenseman. I'm curious on the amount of money its for. I like Russ, I wonder what this says about Methot or Stralman in the long term plans?

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
He hasn't deserved an extension, but whatever, not a huge issue, hopefully it's not too much money and he plays better.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Doug19

If he doesn't improve a lot more I'll be disappointed by this move, although now with a new contract he is more of a trade asset for a real offensive defender.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Hipster Letestu

Per Puck-rakers 3 years 3.9 mil. Not a fan of this move at all.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Doug19

1.3 per year is good if he can suddenly start putting points on the board. I hope he can for the good of the team.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Per Puck-rakers 3 years 3.9 mil. Not a fan of this move at all.
Yipes.

Kudos to Howson for locking up guys he believes are the core/future of the team. Hafta say though that $1.3 per seems excessive for Russ at this juncture.

Very cool if his play makes it a bargain, though. I know some disagree with the philosophy, but I agree with the idea of paying a player based on what you think they're going to give you, rather than on past performance alone. So, Howson thinks Russ is gonna play worth $1.3 mil? I'd love for him to be right.

Old
10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
eljefe72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Yipes.

Kudos to Howson for locking up guys he believes are the core/future of the team. Hafta say though that $1.3 per seems excessive for Russ at this juncture.

Very cool if his play makes it a bargain, though. I know some disagree with the philosophy, but I agree with the idea of paying a player based on what you think they're going to give you, rather than on past performance alone. So, Howson thinks Russ is gonna play worth $1.3 mil? I'd love for him to be right.
I agree. How many teams over the years have signed a big name free agent to a large contract based on their past performance only to have that player suck for their entire time with the team?

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:09 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Yipes.

They are following the plan of the old Cleveland Indians of the 90s. And it worked out quite well for them.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:28 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
While I agree this appears to be overpayment based on current production, I keep thinking of how long it takes for most puck-moving d-men to develop in the NHL, and how young KR is, and I have to think he's worth the risk.

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Yipes.

I was honestly expecting him to play to be worth almost $3 mil if not more. So, y'know, I'm happy.

I'm not thrilled per se - I thought he was playing to earn it, much like Vybes in his last year here. But I'll take it. Worst comes to worst, that contract makes him very tradeable; there's a lot of folks who I think would be happy to give that a chance.

A gamble, but a reasonable one, I think.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 10:03 PM
section 204

howson is becoming the king of cost control

and i agree with those saying that russell's po-tential is high enough that if he stays low in our lineup, he can easily be moved for an upgrade with that minimal number if the braintrust deems it necessary.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Rimers stache

i love it, because he gave me a fifteen dollar tip tonight =)

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Inquiring Minds

This is countering one of my fears for the future of our team.
I've watched all my life as players in the Cinci & Cleveland sports organizations have been home-grown, nurtured, & carefully developed - only to be traded away just as they are ready to break out and become major contributors. In essence, they are AAAA farm clubs for other teams. Howson is taking steps to prevent that by signing guys just before they break out. Then, hopefully they will reciprocate the loyalty in a few years by signing contracts that are a little more reasonable for the club. It's a way to gamble short-term for long-term success.

Somewhere along the way, he will sign a player to a contract that turns out to look like an albatross because the player implodes. When that happens, we have to remember the Nashs, the Brassards, the Vermettes, etc.

Howson continues to impress. He's building a perennial winner, and the roots are taking hold and growing deep.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:41 AM
hashmarks

Methot got 1.1 for 17 points, Russell gets 1.3 for 20.

If Russell is a 25 point dman this year, this is a good deal. I believe that if he didn't get this deal, and he went to arbitration, Russell would get awarded more than 1.3.

This is the going rate for dmen in this point range.

Howson is smart to do it this way. Save a couple thousand here with Russell, a couple thousand with Methot, a couple thousand there...it all adds up.

Good signing and not a contract so out of whack that he couldn't be traded if need be.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:53 AM
double shift filatov*

I don't know what I think yet. That's a lotta money. As a lurker of these boards for a while, though, I tend to believe some people don't give him enough credit for his vision. He really does possess the ability to make something out of nothing on his way up ice.

double shift filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:11 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Me too IM, me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
I've watched all my life as players in the Cinci & Cleveland sports organizations have been home-grown, nurtured, & carefully developed - only to be traded away just as they are ready to break out and become major contributors. In essence, they are AAAA farm clubs for other teams. Howson is taking steps to prevent that by signing guys just before they break out.
Howson continues to impress. He's building a perennial winner, and the roots are taking hold and growing deep.
Hate to say this out loud, but my biggest fear at this point is senior mgmt not being in tune enough to see what a gem they have in Howson, and losing him to one of the big money markets. That would be a shame. I hope that he stays around to finish the job.. because I have a feeling his series of successes is going to build a club that can endure and grow to a perenial power..(I know I'm getting a head of myself.. but Howson's moves have all been deliberate..and have made us better)

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:28 AM
WargzONU

Send a message via AIM to WargzONU
As many on this site, I'm not sure what to think about this move. I've always loved KR, but I'm getting restless waiting for his breakout performance.

WargzONU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:13 AM
MFRONE

This is the type of contract that makes him very tradable as well

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Cyborg Yzerman

1.3 per year, and you guys are *****ing? Seriously? Fantastic deal. That is all.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
BR217

Definitely a fan of this deal, wait til the D pairings get set a bit and he can get comfortable. He's already looking pretty good on the powerplay this season.

BR217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:59 AM
AlienLanes82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
1.3 per year, and you guys are *****ing? Seriously? Fantastic deal. That is all.
Fantastic deal. If he ends up being a career 3rd pairing guy, we overpay by 500k a year. If he ends up being a top offensive defenseman, we underpay by 2-4 million a year.

I also think he's been playing very well. (And I'm a big Russell fan )

AlienLanes82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:35 PM
CapnCornelius

Welcome to being a cap team.

Here is why I don't particularly care for this move: We just traded to get Stralman, who is also not signed after this season. John Moore will likely get a long look for the team next year. And with Russell signed, we have 6 d-men signed for next season.

Stralman may end up being a better d-man than Russell. Moore obviously has better long-term potential. Will we carry 8 defensemen next year?

Personally, I would have made this season a competition between Stralman and Russell. Let one of them earn their salary and their roster spot and the other one probably gets let go. Now Russell is all but guaranteed an NHL roster spot, and our new acquisition has to be scratching his head about what happens to him after this season.

With this signing, the Jackets have $49 million committed for next year to 18 players. So, it looks like Howson is not a believer of the rumors that the cap will come down to $50 million. You can expect our most exciting off-season moves to be extensions for Jake Voracek and Steve Mason (and perhaps to Hejda). An interesting subplot in all of this is Raffi Torres, who has played well so far. If Filatov is still not ready for primetime, do the Jackets consider keeping the gritty, versatile Torres around?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Great move. Great price. Great term.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Welcome to being a cap team.

Here is why I don't particularly care for this move: We just traded to get Stralman, who is also not signed after this season. John Moore will likely get a long look for the team next year. And with Russell signed, we have 6 d-men signed for next season.

Stralman may end up being a better d-man than Russell. Moore obviously has better long-term potential. Will we carry 8 defensemen next year?
It wouldn't shock me, seeing as though we continue to have No True #1. Makes for more variety for Hitch.

And in any case, the contracts are such that Methot and Russell are both very tradeable - as has been mentioned by others. We could be talking to Boston about a spare 1st rounder by the end of the season if necessary, and we know Bryan Murray would be happy to take a look. Could even take a roster player on forward, as our depth "problem" becomes less of an issue next year.

I'm not overly concerned, really.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote