HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So, the "Winter collapse" has always been around?

Old
12-02-2009, 12:59 PM
LamoTheKid

vCash: 500
So, the "Winter collapse" has always been around?

I was just looking through the NHL page of CNNSI and this popped up in the archives (fun article btw).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau....htm?eref=sisf

Quote:
Twenty-five years had passed since they finished first in the National Hockey League, and five years since they placed even as high as fourth. Their fans had become conditioned to awaiting the annual collapse that occurs sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I mean, ive been watching this team since 89, I dont claim to go that far back at all, even when I began watching it, i was so young I barely remember names outside the big ones. But I don't really remember there being a winter collapse then.

So, any seasoned Vets care to expand on this? Also, it made me laugh a little bit seeing that in there, considering what we're dealing with right now.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
I was just looking through the NHL page of CNNSI and this popped up in the archives (fun article btw).

I mean, ive been watching this team since 89, I dont claim to go that far back at all, even when I began watching it, i was so young I barely remember names outside the big ones. But I don't really remember there being a winter collapse then.

So, any seasoned Vets care to expand on this? Also, it made me laugh a little bit seeing that in there, considering what we're dealing with right now.
I'd say it just has to do with the season being from Oct-Jun. We've had alot of mediocre/poor teams and those kind of teams usually start to fade a few months in. I thought it was usually around New Years actually.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:15 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'd say it just has to do with the season being from Oct-Jun. We've had alot of mediocre/poor teams and those kind of teams usually start to fade a few months in. I thought it was usually around New Years actually.
Id think if you take into account the shorter season back then, it's kind of the same, no?

Old
12-02-2009, 01:16 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

From what I've always remembered (in the 90s and 00s), the collapse would begin in mid-December or early January. This year, the collapse happened in Mid-October. I'm not sure if this team can collapse any further.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Id think if you take into account the shorter season back then, it's kind of the same, no?
Yeah I guess that makes sense.

Old
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

In the 1989-90 Rangers highlight video "Poised for Glory" i clearly remember hearing the line "The only thing good about December, was Christmas"

Yes, it even went on then.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
In the 1989-90 Rangers highlight video "Poised for Glory" i clearly remember hearing the line "The only thing good about December, was Christmas"

Yes, it even went on then.
Haha...what about 'Year of the rookies' ?

".....And then Winter's freeze...."

Old
12-02-2009, 01:43 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
From what I've always remembered (in the 90s and 00s), the collapse would begin in mid-December or early January. This year, the collapse happened in Mid-October. I'm not sure if this team can collapse any further.
Hahaha, i cringe to think its possible, but we're an injury or two from a lottery pick...

Old
12-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Anderson

For some reason the Rangers always (recently) start off the season playing their game like they want to. Then in Oct-Dec all the other teams start finding their legs as well as their game.

I don't really think it is a matter of the Rangers playing worse, I think that other teams just start playing their best around this time.

Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Haha...what about 'Year of the rookies' ?

".....And then Winter's freeze...."

I gotta get that tape out of a box and watch that **** now.

Turcotte making breakfast, priceless.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
RangerBlueJay*

There is no structure nor an identity with this franchise, therefore we are forever stuck mired in mediocrity.

I was hoping the cap would bring some sense of what has always been missing, because hosting a retirement resort, was truly embarrassing. I do give Renney credit for this turnaround though, it had to start somewhere.

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post

I don't really think it is a matter of the Rangers playing worse, I think that other teams just start playing their best around this time.
Indeed, it really has nothing to do with a "slump" or any kind of decline in the Rangers play.
To their credit, this is a team who always comes out of training camp in good shape and well prepared for the season.
I think they're able to take advantage of a lot disorganized teams early on, but once mid-November comes... then the ruse is up.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I can't wait until New Year's to see the record of this team!

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
December sounds about right for our collapses. I think a few years ago we had a seven game losing streak in December.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote