HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergeron named to HF's 2nd All-Rookie Team

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 02:46 PM
zamboni

vCash: 500
Bergeron named to HF's 2nd All-Rookie Team

Good for HF to recognize Bergie after a solid season. Hopefully he gets some recognition by the NHL for the Calder (although there's no way he finishes top 3).

Old
04-15-2004, 04:13 PM
barto

Indeed - as it often happens, MAB's chances for the Calder were hampered by not playing as many games as some of the other candidates, but he had a very good year overall, very nice PPG ratio - hope he can keep it up next year!

Bart

Old
04-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Cerebral

Congrats to Bergy!

Old
04-15-2004, 05:00 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
yup, he certainly deserves it IMO. Should be interesting to see how steadily he is used next year by MacT and if he is what kind of numbers he can put up. I think he'll be a perenial mid 30's point guy.

Old
04-15-2004, 05:14 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Really? I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him hit 40 points. Not saying he will just saying he has that level in him. He absolutely devastated teams defense with his quick feet and shocked goalies with his blistering shot.

That kid is crazy good and I expect big things for him.

Old
04-15-2004, 07:58 PM
outKast*

Paul Martin and Backman were robbed.

They looked at one month of Bergeron compared to a good full season of Martin and Backman. Bergeron is a 30 - 35 point kind of guy who will be nothing more than a 5th defenseman. Paul Martin was already NJ's top pairing Dman and Backman has been playing nothing but solid this year. Stoll deserved to be on the list more than MAB

Old
04-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Paul Martin and Backman were robbed.

They looked at one month of Bergeron compared to a good full season of Martin and Backman. Bergeron is a 30 - 35 point kind of guy who will be nothing more than a 5th defenseman. Paul Martin was already NJ's top pairing Dman and Backman has been playing nothing but solid this year. Stoll deserved to be on the list more than MAB
Bergeron was the best offensive rookie d-man this year - the stats tell us that. That shouldn't be ignored completely.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:07 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Bergeron was the best offensive rookie d-man this year - the stats tell us that. That shouldn't be ignored completely.
Norstrom, Stevens, or Smith will never outscore Zidlicky, Niinimaa or Hamrlik in this league but are still way better defensemen. Martin and Backman are better overall players.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Norstrom, Stevens, or Smith will never outscore Zidlicky, Niinimaa or Hamrlik in this league but are still way better defensemen. Martin and Backman are better overall players.
Yeah, offense isn't everything. But it was a hell of an accomplishment. If Bergeron didn't get recognition for that, he wouldn't get any at all.

You can argue that Smith is a better d-man than Niinimaa or Hamrlik if you want, but way better?

Old
04-15-2004, 08:15 PM
outKast*

One of the leaders in hits and the LEADER in blocked shot. One of the top defensive stay at home defensemen in the league. If it was game 7, triple OT, and the other team is on the powerplay with 1 minute and 30 seconds left, i would rather have Smith on the ice rather than Niinimaa or Hamrlik anyday.

That and the fact that he's a leader and a captain makes him way more valuable to any teams success. Martin was playing 23:00+ minutes when Steven got injured. He's important to his team and i would rather have him on the ice that Bergeron.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
One of the leaders in hits and the LEADER in blocked shot. One of the top defensive stay at home defensemen in the league. If it was game 7, triple OT, and the other team is on the powerplay with 1 minute and 30 seconds left, i would rather have Smith on the ice rather than Niinimaa or Hamrlik anyday.
And what if you're down a goal with a minute left in game 7??? Then who would you rather have???

Hamrlik is a better d-man that Smith, because he is more multi-dimensional. He is not as good as Smith defensively, but MUCH better offensively.

As good as Smith is defensively, he will never be as good as some of the more well-rounded defensemen in the game.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:56 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I think that Bergeron (and maybe Nedved) singlehandedly brought the Oilers back into playoff contention. He put our dismal powerplay back to respectable levels. Could the same be said about Martin and Backman?

I think Bergeron is one of the most electrifying defensemen in sports entertainment.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:06 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
I think that Bergeron (and maybe Nedved) singlehandedly brought the Oilers back into playoff contention. He put our dismal powerplay back to respectable levels. Could the same be said about Martin and Backman?

I think Bergeron is one of the most electrifying defensemen in sports entertainment.
Seeing a defenceman lead a rush up ice is one thing, seeing a 5'10 defenceman lead a very fast rush up ice is another, I completely agree.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:37 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans

H=O=M=E=R

Old
04-15-2004, 09:49 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
And what if you're down a goal with a minute left in game 7??? Then who would you rather have???
Smith on one point, Spaz on the other. And Yorkie circling between them with the goalie on the bench.

... had to be said, sorry.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Seachd

Quote:
H=O=M=E=R
You can't do that. You kind of have to give reasons why you disagree with him.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:48 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
H=O=M=E=R
Wow, you sure put me in my place.

Anyways, I made the electrifying statement cause a picture of the Rock was on my table when I typed the post, but Bergeron is definitely a playmaker. Let's take a look at his young career thus far.

In his brief appearance last year, Bergeron made a lasting impression on all Oiler fans by rocking Morrow in the playoffs.

Then against Phoenix, Bergeron skates from center ice, splits two defenseman while going top speed, drops a pass to Nedved and Petr scores. Yet another lasting impression on Oiler fans.

Let's not forget his laser shots from the point, and his fight with one of the Flames last year...thus confirming that Bergeron is one of the most exciting defensemen in the league. Mildly homering...yes...but you can't deny this guy's entertainment value.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:13 PM
jadeddog

nice to see, but does anybody think MAB is a better find than stoll? (long term)..... stoll didnt put up good enough numbers to be on the all-rookie team, so i wasnt expecting it, but IMO stoll is the player we should all be really excited about (not that we arn't excited about him, or that we shouldnt also be happy about MABs performance)

Old
04-16-2004, 02:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

The one play that I loved, was when he rushed the puck up the ice let a bullit go form the blue line at top speed, breaks the glass, play continues and we score (same game same shift as the nedved goal described in USC Trojan's post. LMHF#1 and I knew this guy was going to be good a long time back...He is exactly what the team needed in a good offensive defenceman...Congrats Marc!!

Old
04-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
nice to see, but does anybody think MAB is a better find than stoll? (long term)..... stoll didnt put up good enough numbers to be on the all-rookie team, so i wasnt expecting it, but IMO stoll is the player we should all be really excited about (not that we arn't excited about him, or that we shouldnt also be happy about MABs performance)
I think Bergeron is a better find strictly because the Oilers have been without a power play for years, and if he can somehow get the Oilers out of the duldrums on the powerplay, they will be that much better.

Stoll is turning out to be a great player, but the Oilers are known for getting those types that can play well defensively, and chip in the odd goal, although I think he will bring a bit more offence to the table than a Reasoner type player.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
H=O=M=E=R
J-O-K-E

Old
04-16-2004, 03:24 PM
outKast*

I think i explained myself enough of why i called you a homer. Because it's true. You Oiler fans even went as far as to say in another thread that MAB is a poor mans Bobby Orr. If that's not homeristic, then maybe you all need to wake up. MAB had a good month. Let's see him do that for an extended period of time...say a full 82 games. MAB will never be anythihngn more than a fringe 5th defenseman who we will despose of when Woywitka and Lynch make the team.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:28 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
I think i explained myself enough of why i called you a homer. Because it's true. You Oiler fans even went as far as to say in another thread that MAB is a poor mans Bobby Orr. If that's not homeristic, then maybe you all need to wake up. MAB had a good month. Let's see him do that for an extended period of time...say a full 82 games. MAB will never be anythihngn more than a fringe 5th defenseman who we will despose of when Woywitka and Lynch make the team.
Why do you even post here?

Old
04-16-2004, 03:43 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Actually, the most popular comparison here was a poor man's Rafalski. The Orr comment was more of a joke.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
It's nice to have your opinion, but don't try to state it as fact, especially when you won't open an ear to others comments.
Bergeron has the potential to be a future Rafalski. Will he live up to it? That is anybody's guess, but right now one should be postitive about what he has shown so far.

Closed Thread