HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers 12/3 Practice-AA on the 1st line,Redden still hurting - Heikkinen called up

Old
12-03-2009, 05:10 PM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
+1940

Houston, we've got problems.
Where have I heard that before?

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:20 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
If they place Dubinsky on LTIR retroactively it solves the problem. I can't figure out why they haven't done it. He would be eligible to return anytime after the Buffalo game this weekend.
LTIR gives you immediate cap space but it doesn't forgive you the dollars -- if the Rasngers go over the cap even with LTIR relief, it merely pushes the overage $ into next season's cap. We've been through that before around here.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:21 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Really hope Artie can perform on that top line.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

How do you pronounce the new guys name?

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:23 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
How do you pronounce the new guys name?
As far as I know but can definitely be wrong but I'll be calling him the whole time it's: "Hi-kin-nin"

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:25 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
LTIR gives you immediate cap space but it doesn't forgive you the dollars -- if the Rasngers go over the cap even with LTIR relief, it merely pushes the overage $ into next season's cap. We've been through that before around here.
Ok? I'm aware of that. What's your point? I don't think Heikkinen's $4k a day cap hit is going to put us over.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
As far as I know but can definitely be wrong but I'll be calling him the whole time it's: "Hi-kin-nin"
Gordie Clark pronounces it "Hi-kin-nin.," long I. Bob Crawford the Hartford radio guy and communications director extraordinaire says it "Ha-kin-nen" with a long A. Not sure which it is.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Gordie Clark pronounces it "Hi-kin-nin.," long I. Bob Crawford the Hartford radio guy and communications director extraordinaire says it "Ha-kin-nen" with a long A. Not sure which it is.
Someone in a different thread said that with those Scandinavian names, you pronounce the second letter of the "ei" or "ie" as a hard letter. Like:

Heikkinen: HI-kin-nen
Hiekkinen: HE-kin-nen

I'm not sure if that's an "official" thing or not, but it sounded reasonable and true from my experience. Either way, "HA-kin-nen" seems wrong.

Anyway, I'm obviously a big Bobby Sanguinetti fan, so I'm disappointed it's not him. But Heikkinen seems to be playing damn well in the AHL, so I'm glad he's getting a look.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Ok? I'm aware of that. What's your point? I don't think Heikkinen's $4k a day cap hit is going to put us over.
You are right, but at any given time in the season the roster has to be in cap coimpliance. If he goes back down next week, it's a moot point.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I like putting Anisimov on that top line because if he can develop some chemistry with Gaborik, then maybe you can consider moving Prospal to the 2nd line so he can try to create some offense for Drury/Callahan/Higgins/Avery, while you send one of those guys up to play with Artie and Gaborik.

I wouldn't expect much from Christensen, personally. He's better than Voros, though. Speaking of that loser, I'd much rather he sits than PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
sure it can....

more of callahan, higgins, pap or kotalik on the first line.
Other than Kotalik, I'd rather any of those guys over Lisin on the top line based on this season's performances.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:21 PM
MAYO

I think we all had a good laugh about Christensen being signed yesterday and now we are talking about him centering the second unit! The way I see it, if Torts is going to play him,Brash can't fight his way out of a paper bag and Voros offers his head as a speed bag to opposing players, this is what I would go with up front:

Vinny-A.A.-Gabby
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Kotalik-Christensen-Lisin
PAP-Boyle-Byers

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

You have no Higgins.

Ive got a nice lineup for when Dubinsky comes back;

Higgins-Prospal-Gaborik
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Lisin-Anisimov-Parenteau
Christensen-Drury-Kotalik

there, nobody named Voros, Boyle, or Brashear in the lineup.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
MAYO

Forgot about Higgins! How about when Dubi comes back,
Avery-Dubi-Gabby
Vinny-A.A.-Kotalik
Higgins-Drury-Callahan
PAP-Christensen-Lisin

Avery is a better passer than most give credit, works hard down low, and is a body in front of the net to create chances.

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Quote:
It's pronounced like "HAY-Kee-nen". Bob Crawford has it right.

And by the way, for those who have trouble spelling it, it's Heikkinen. Heineken is also acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Someone in a different thread said that with those Scandinavian names, you pronounce the second letter of the "ei" or "ie" as a hard letter. Like:

Heikkinen: HI-kin-nen
Hiekkinen: HE-kin-nen
I think that might have been me (I'm a pedant, sorry), but I was talking about German.

Finnish isn't even a Scandinavian language, actually (it's related to Estonian and distantly Hungarian, but not directly to Swedish, Danish or German), but it's easy to figure out pronunciation, because there are no silent letters nor are there any combinations of letters that make up different sounds. That means that the letter "e" is always pronounced as in the word "end" and the letter "i" is always pronounced like the in the word "teen". So e + i = ei, which ends up sounding like "ay" in normal conversation. Emphasis is always on the first syllable and any double letters.

Told you I'm pedantic.

Last edited by 007: 12-03-2009 at 07:41 PM.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Anyway, I'm obviously a big Bobby Sanguinetti fan, so I'm disappointed it's not him. But Heikkinen seems to be playing damn well in the AHL, so I'm glad he's getting a look.
Back on topic: I also am a huge fan of Bobby Sangs and want to see him doing well. But sometimes it feels like people forget that Heikkinen is also one of our prospects, just because we signed him in the offseason from a pro team, rather than drafted him 5 years ago...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 07:51 PM
satrabyk

when is Dubi coming back, our best center?

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:13 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Sangs didn't look out of place, but the defense as a whole sure did. Heikkenen's handedness does give Torts a lot more options when it comes to shuffling pairings...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I liked Avery-Prospal-Gaborik..wish we kept that line and went with:

Avery-Prospal-Gaborik
Drury-Anisimov-PAP
Higgins-Christensen-Callahan
Brashear-Boyle-Kotalik

maybe swap PAP and Callahan...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I like putting Anisimov on that top line because if he can develop some chemistry with Gaborik, then maybe you can consider moving Prospal to the 2nd line so he can try to create some offense for Drury/Callahan/Higgins/Avery, while you send one of those guys up to play with Artie and Gaborik.
I'm with you on Anisimov playing with Gaborik. I believe that's how the season should of started with. I'd stick Avery on the other wing to add some grit to that line. With Prospal on the second line, I would have a good feeling, if Higgins was on his side that he'd start contributing more offensively.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Just call him Heineken.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
If the Rangers waive a player, they have to do it by noon tomorrow to call someone up Saturday. This is the reason that I wrote in my blog last night that the call-up of Johnson was not yet official. They could not call him up until Vali had cleared.

This is somewhat off topic, but it was scary to me how many sources "in authority" had said that Johnson was recalled, when it just was not possible under the rules. Including the NHL Network. I saw it on the ticker last night at about 10:30.

This was definitely the case of everyone jumping on the bandwagon without checking it out. Rant over. Sorry guys, but you all should be aware that some of the stuff you see (even from some top sources) is just not true.
Ahhh like the Semenov signing! Good job Leslie your all over it.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Richter35

so who's the scratch tomorrow? lisin learn his lesson? we need some kind of grit with kaleta in there and brash out, so at least one of voros/boyle plays, but as we know they are both marshmellows, slight edge to voros because he's actually willing to scrap.

edit: and when dubi comes back? 15 F and 6D wasn't really working last season, somebody has to go for cap reasons alone i'd imagine. Voros is the biggest billet but he's apparently well liked in the locker room, whereas a guy like PAP will prob have his minutes eaten up when dubi returns. I see him getting the short end of the stick

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 11:45 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Back on topic: I also am a huge fan of Bobby Sangs and want to see him doing well. But sometimes it feels like people forget that Heikkinen is also one of our prospects, just because we signed him in the offseason from a pro team, rather than drafted him 5 years ago...

I'm not worried about Sanguinetti. He'll make it I'm sure. If Heikkinen can prove he belongs we're all the better for it. And who knows maybe knowing that these guys can play will hurry Sather along in getting rid of a couple large contracts.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
...but it's easy to figure out pronunciation, because there are no silent letters nor are there any combinations of letters that make up different sounds. That means that the letter "e" is always pronounced as in the word "end" and the letter "i" is always pronounced like the in the word "teen". So e + i = ei, which ends up sounding like "ay" in normal conversation. Emphasis is always on the first syllable and any double letters.

Told you I'm pedantic.
In casual speech, we call a language where all vowels are always pronounced the same way a "phonetic" language. Spanish is a phonetic language, English is not.

Thanks, this helps (with regards to Finnish). I appreciate it!

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Why is Sauer never given a look? He is always mentioned in prospect talk yet he never gets a call up. These guys just better than him or is he playing bad? This is his 3rd pro season so his contract should be expiring....whats the plan for this former 2nd rounder?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote