HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Booth, Stillman injuries

Old
01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

vCash: 500
From the Sun-Sentinel:

Florida Panthers: Booth takes part in practice
> Posted by Steve Gorten on January 12, 2010 12:37 PM

David Booth skated with the Panthers today for the first 20 minutes of practice -- it was non-contact -- the first time he's taken part in any practice since his concussion Oct. 24.

Booth has worked out on the ice with the team before, but only during morning skates.

Today, he wore a non-contact orange jersey, as did fellow wingers Nathan Horton and Kenndal McArdle and defenseman Dmitry Kulikov.

The four skated together before the start of practice, then stayed on for the first 20 minutes and left the ice once contact drills started.

Even though he's not fully back practicing with the team, It's another positive sign for Booth.

"Mentally for him, it's a step," Coach Pete DeBoer said. "I know hes excited about being back out there. He said it feels great to be back in a real practice for the first time in a long time. Its a small step. Hes still a while away from playing."

Pete said he doesn't know when Booth will participate in a full practice with the Panthers, but Pete said he'll continue to participate in the first 20 minutes or so of practice this week and we'll see what happens beyond that.

McArdle took a few shots, which is also a positive sign as he rehabs his injured shoulder.

As for Horton, no cause for alarm there, Pete said. Horton should play against the Capitals tommorrow, Pete said. Horton, who sat out yesterday's practice, just needed another day to recover from some minor bumps and bruises.

Defenseman Bryan Allen returned to practice after sitting out Monday for rest.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Great8Cam

KMac has been taking a ton of shots during his on ice workouts with Gus, and Kuli is there as well.

His shot looks VERY good and I don't see even a twinge. However, I did see a twinge with Kuli during a drill re: the knee. It appears that there were a couple issues with his work ethic that day, but I don't think that the knee was the excuse. I don't think that he is mature enough to understand what is expected of him and what it takes to play at this level. That will come with age and experience.

KMac on the other hand, worked extremely hard in every drill.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
King Isles 13

Send a message via AIM to King Isles 13
whats up with booth?? is he skating and traveling??

King Isles 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Holy Jokinen

He's not travelling with the team on the NJ trip, according to PDB,

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
King Isles 13

Send a message via AIM to King Isles 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
He's not travelling with the team on the NJ trip, according to PDB,
damn that sucks... thank you!!

King Isles 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
sinDer

GR:

"In Coral Springs and David Booth is doing full workout today on the third line with Campbell and Kreps"

Reinprecht was not there there though

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Full contact? Or just skating loops?

Old
01-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
GR:

"In Coral Springs and David Booth is doing full workout today on the third line with Campbell and Kreps"

Reinprecht was not there there though
w00t

contact too?? I don't see them skating loops if he's on a line

Boy if he could make it back soon. Even if he didn't (most likely wont) contribute by scoring right away him returning could really give our guys a extra jolt

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Boooooth10

(on how much full-contact practice he needs before returning)

"Hopefully a good week maybe and I'll be ready to go. But again, this injury is different, so you don't really know."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/

I seriously doubt he will be back this soon, but who knows. At least he's staying really positive about this whole thing.

Boooooth10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Full contact? Or just skating loops?
down on a little vacation and was over there (anyone else from here?) and while taking photos of hulton feeding about 10 guys for multiple one-timers, i looked up toward center ice and notice kitch was working board battles with a few guys and .... as i got a little closer, realized it was booth battling on the wall, getting smacked around. after running that drill for about 10 minutes, they worked on puck protection in the center ice circle. he looked pretty gassed by the end. have a few good closeups of him working on wall but unfortunately, i left my usb cable out home so i won't be able to post for a few days.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:07 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I'm sure the coaching staff is going to be cautious about Booth coming back and don't want to risk having any another injury period, so even if he feels 100% ready in the next few weeks, I really wouldn't expect him back until after the Olympic Break. That'd be great to get him and Horton back at the same time

FlaPnthrsPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:16 PM
vektorious

ZeroG are you part of the press or is the public allowed to attend some practices over at incredible ice?? Just curious. I am a big fan of the team and would like to be able to see that.

vektorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
vektorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I'm sure the coaching staff is going to be cautious about Booth coming back and don't want to risk having any another injury period, so even if he feels 100% ready in the next few weeks, I really wouldn't expect him back until after the Olympic Break. That'd be great to get him and Horton back at the same time
I'm not too sure about that. With Horton out I think its quite possible that we might see Booth back a little earlier than expected. By the way Booth was speaking in that article it seems as if he thinks its possible as long as there arent any set back that he could be back before the break. Every game at this point is extremely important. I know that the coaches will be very cautious with this type of injury but I know Booth wants to play already. I was sitting behind is mother at the montreal game at the BAC and she said he was very eager to come back and play but the training staff was taking it very slow.. I would like to see booth back before the olympic break...

vektorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorious View Post
ZeroG are you part of the press or is the public allowed to attend some practices over at incredible ice?? Just curious. I am a big fan of the team and would like to be able to see that.
They're open to the public.

Check this link for the schedule
http://incredibleice.com/panthers-practices.php

Old
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
They're open to the public.

Check this link for the schedule
http://incredibleice.com/panthers-practices.php
yep.

new place looks very nice. like the seats around the ice and "viewing room" (for the wimps... where GR was ). hadn't been there in a couple of years and i was a little shocked when i walked in and saw 2 girls figure skating where the team used to practice. i thought the practice had been cancelled. i forgot there's a new ice surface.

btw, sexton was watching all practice long from a special room connected to the viewing room (for VIPs?).

Old
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Awesome! Thanks for the update. Still hope they take their time with him, as I know they will, but I'm excited to see him out there again.

Zero, was he keeping up with the play? I mean, I know it was mostly corner work, but did they do any other kind of drills with him that you know?

01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the update. Still hope they take their time with him, as I know they will, but I'm excited to see him out there again.

Zero, was he keeping up with the play? I mean, I know it was mostly corner work, but did they do any other kind of drills with him that you know?
he did all of the drills as part of a line with soupy and kreps. (stiller with weiss and frolik, dvo with rusty and dom, matthias with with nasty and mccardle were the other combos, btw... no reino).

he looked fine doing the regular stuff. the board battles are incredibly draining though. there were a few guys floating through that drill station (kitchen was running it) but booth was there the whole time. by the time they moved on to 1v1 in the center ice circle, he was fading. after the first few reps, he was so gassed, he couldn't even hold onto the puck while making a half-hearted first move. it seems, according to a quote from ballard in sunday's herald about mccardle, kitchen runs the "battle station" after the full ice practice ends and grinds the heck out of the guys who need some conditioning work (and some of the younger guys - matthias, kuli, frolik and mccardle were also working with him).

also fyi, it seems that kitch has a really good rapport with the guys. he also seems to have fun out there. just throwing that in for all the haters.

oh, and you heard it hear first: rusty elicited some yelping and hollering when he came in, made a nice move and went top shelf *forehand* in the shootout part of practice for a pretty goal. i'm guessing we'll see that again sometime soon

Old
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
he did all of the drills as part of a line with soupy and kreps. (stiller with weiss and frolik, dvo with rusty and dom, matthias with with nasty and mccardle were the other combos, btw... no reino).

he looked fine doing the regular stuff. the board battles are incredibly draining though. there were a few guys floating through that drill station (kitchen was running it) but booth was there the whole time. by the time they moved on to 1v1 in the center ice circle, he was fading. after the first few reps, he was so gassed, he couldn't even hold onto the puck while making a half-hearted first move. it seems, according to a quote from ballard in sunday's herald about mccardle, kitchen runs the "battle station" after the full ice practice ends and grinds the heck out of the guys who need some conditioning work (and some of the younger guys - matthias, kuli, frolik and mccardle were also working with him).

also fyi, it seems that kitch has a really good rapport with the guys. he also seems to have fun out there. just throwing that in for all the haters.

oh, and you heard it hear first: rusty elicited some yelping and hollering when he came in, made a nice move and went top shelf *forehand* in the shootout part of practice for a pretty goal. i'm guessing we'll see that again sometime soon
Thanks for the report, however I have to say being liked by itself does not equate to getting the job done. Also, calling out Kitchen for not doing an adequate job does not equal hating him.

Oh and on the rusty forehand -- let's just say I'll believe it when I see it.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Super post, Zero. Thanks!

Ah...the thought of Booth back in our lineup again...

Old
01-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Nice. Thanks Zero.

Good to hear he's able to do all of that and apparently only be gassed, not have much of a headache. He'll get his stamina back up, though, I'm glad for the Olympic break.

Saw Ballard's comments about Kitchen's little "school," good for kitchen on making sure the guys come back ready and raring to go. Still, I'm on the fence with him, no one can argue that our D needs some serious work.

Rusty heard yelping from the fans, or the teammates, or both?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
Didn't Olesz use his forehand in the last shootout against the Islanders?

Besides the reporters how many people were there? Last time I went to a weekday practice there were about 20 people or so. I was kinda surprised to see so many there on a weekday.

Old
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Again, if we can stay afloat until we get Booth and Horton back, that could be enough of a boost for the team. Even though there is a big stretch after the break, our season comes down to these next set of games before the break.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

I heard on the 93 Rock this afternoon them giving away tickets to Monday's game against Anaheim, which the DJ called "The return of David Booth." A bit ambitious of them, but it would be great to see.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:33 PM
zeroG

first, to KW - yes, of course being liked doesn't equate to getting the job done but being able to relate to the guys can be helpful. and, again, i think that without watching practice every day to see what he's working on with the guys (and then how that translates to games), neither one of us is in the position to say whether he's getting the job done. seriously - pete explains the drills and runs them, giving instruction in between reps. i saw kitch make a few comments to some guys during pauses in a 5v5 transition drill. that's it. that's what assistants do. i'm sure he preps the practice plan with pete and they go over what they want to accomplish and highlight but we don't know how far beyond that his influence reaches. calling for the guy's head repeatedly without that information is a little ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Nice. Thanks Zero.

Good to hear he's able to do all of that and apparently only be gassed, not have much of a headache. He'll get his stamina back up, though, I'm glad for the Olympic break.

Saw Ballard's comments about Kitchen's little "school," good for kitchen on making sure the guys come back ready and raring to go. Still, I'm on the fence with him, no one can argue that our D needs some serious work.

Rusty heard yelping from the fans, or the teammates, or both?
teammates.

regarding the last question, there were about 10-15 people there today.

also something i just remembered - it was frolik, kuli and kreps working on one-timers with hulton, kreps and frolik from their off wing and kuli straight up. wonder if kreps is going to get some PP time or if he was just helping frolik and kuli? first practice of pete's i've seen so i don't know what the significance of some of these tidbits are.

Old
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Laus wrote:

Quote:
This is actually a really good point. Everyone who's had a really good (is there any such thing?) concussion knows that the crushing headaches come with the slightest effort. If he's working so hard that he's totally punched out, then that's super good news.