HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A cup for Ottawa or Tampa would be good for the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
A cup for Ottawa or Tampa would be good for the NHL

I would love to see one of those two teams win (even though those lousy Bolts are about to eliminate my Isles!). Why? Both teams play the game that way it ought to be played - with speed, sound defense, and excellent transition games. And, both teams were built around a young core, with sound drafting and prudent use of finacial resources. These are two teams that should be a model for the rest of the NHL.

04-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Don Draper

I am thinking what would be really good for hockey would be to have Detroit Colorado Philly and Ottawa as the final 4 teams. Lots of talent, lots of checking, and very solid defense. Plus the wild card of the goaltending for each team would be an interesting side note to each series

Old
04-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

If there was an Ottawa-Vancouver Final, would they even show it in the States?

Old
04-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I would love to see one of those two teams win (even though those lousy Bolts are about to eliminate my Isles!). Why? Both teams play the game that way it ought to be played - with speed, sound defense, and excellent transition games. And, both teams were built around a young core, with sound drafting and prudent use of finacial resources. These are two teams that should be a model for the rest of the NHL.
Agree Darth. (See? I like youthfulness, as well as experience! )

Will add one other point to your appraisal of those two franchises: both have exhibited patience and confidence with their coaches. Especially Ottawa. Both Martin and Tortorella are the right guys for their teams. Not unlike the Canes, sticking with Maurice through many seasons (and reaping a trip to the Finals as a reward), TB and Ottawa have shown faith in their decision to hire both of these guys when they could have taken the "easy out" and ditched them. Critics have called for Martin's head by virtue of the Sens not winning the Cup yet. Likewise, Tortorella was on the hotseat for "L'affair Vinny" over the last several seasons.

Continuity, consistency and patience. In too little supply among fans, media, and often, ownership.

Old
04-15-2004, 05:40 PM
rinkrat13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger

We need an all Canadian final... it's been tooooo long since we last witnessed that. Nothing against Americans or teams in Americans cities, just we (I) need an all Canadian final... and would like nothing more then to see my BELOVED Maple Leafs beat The Canucks in game 7 on Canadian soil... wow, to dream.

Old
04-15-2004, 05:47 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
What about building through the draft? These two teams showed that the rebuilding years, although painful to watch, can pay off in the end if you hire good scouts and a competent GM. They haven't relied on spending heavily through the FA market to get the core of their teams. And their franchise players were drafted by the team(Alfredsson, Lecavalier).

Old
04-15-2004, 06:15 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I agree that Tampa and Ottawa are two of the more entertaining teams to watch, and I hope that more teams will strive to play like them.

If I had to rank the top 5 teams in order of how I wish more NHL teams played like, my list would be:

1. Toronto
2. Ottawa
3. Vancouver
4. Tampa
5. Colorado

Old
04-15-2004, 08:26 PM
kennyx

My vote goes for a Toronto vs Detroit final.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:33 PM
o-dog

While an all Canadian final would be nice for Canadians, it wouldn't be good for the NHL as a whole. Just getting one team in there would be nice...it's been 10 years now. I think that, um....Ottawa would look really good as champs

Old
04-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Part of the reason that I think a Tampa or Ottawa win would be great for the NHL is because I would like to see other teams influenced by the model of these two teams. If every team played the game like Tampa and Ottawa, the NHL would be a much better league.

But, I understand the argument some of you are making. A contest between two big market teams always draws more attention. And teams from the smaller market cities up north won't generate that much interest in the US.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:52 PM
o-dog

Quote:
Part of the reason that I think a Tampa or Ottawa win would be great for the NHL is because I would like to see other teams influenced by the model of these two teams. If every team played the game like Tampa and Ottawa, the NHL would be a much better league.

But, I understand the argument some of you are making. A contest between two big market teams always draws more attention.
I think for the most part that that model is mostly followed by the teams who have won the Cup over the past 10 years. The key players from NJ, Col, Det and Dal were either drafted by that organization or acquired through assets obtained through the draft when they had to address a dire need. Maybe a few FA's picked up here and there to fill some holes. The teams that throw cash around and dip into the free agent pool every year have ranged from modestly successful to embarassingly pathetic and ultimately on the short end of the stick when the Cup is being skated around the rink.

No need to go into the Rangers situation as that is painfully obvious, but another team that comes to mind is the Leafs. By building a team with free agents, they have created a narrow window with an aging club. The best player they have acquired through a draft asset is Sundin, and they gave up their golden boy Clark to get him. If the UFA age was younger, it would be a much diffferent situation but it isn't and every time they fill a need, the players get older and the desperation to win now becomers greater.

Having said that, no other team had been able to build a better team out of free agency than TO...

Old
04-15-2004, 09:16 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
The sad truth is that any Canadian team in the finals would crush US TV ratings.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:59 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
The sad truth is that any Canadian team in the finals would crush US TV ratings.
How do you crush something that doesn't exist?

Old
04-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Sad to whom?

TV executives? Sorry, no tears being shed for them here.

Nothing personal, just don't understand why the average fan - that is, a real hockey fan - cares about the ratings.

Popularity does not necessarily = quality. Especially when it comes to the media.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:00 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Nothing personal, just don't understand why the average fan - that is, a real hockey fan - cares about the ratings.
I guess because increased TV ratings equals increased advertising money for the networks, which in turn equals a better chance one or more of those networks would be willing to get into a bidding war for the NHL contract (which is set to expire), which in turn could generate revenues that would go a LONG way toward establishing a solid fiscal foundation for a league that's on shaky financial ground right now.

In other words, without a certain degree of popularity, who knows how long we as fans will be able to enjoy such a high level of professional hockey?

Granted, this argument only goes so far, but it's not entirely without merit.

You're right about popularity not necessarily ensuring quality, though. In fact, it almost never does.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
a cup in colorado would be good for me.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger

Not this stupid question again. Yes they would, they are contractually bound to do so. If that isn't good enough, ESPN is showing the Canucks/Flames series, so there is no reason to think they wouldn't show a Canadian vs Canadian Finals since they're showing a Canadian vs Canadian 1st round.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:10 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Not this stupid question again. Yes they would, they are contractually bound to do so. If that isn't good enough, ESPN is showing the Canucks/Flames series, so there is no reason to think they wouldn't show a Canadian vs Canadian Finals since they're showing a Canadian vs Canadian 1st round.
Good point. A cup in Ottawa would bring the biggest trophy in hockey to the hockey nation's capital, and there's something right about that. A cup in Tampa, however, would promote the game in a burgeoning southeast NHL market, and would be a great reward for a team which has improved its record for something like 7 straight years. Regardless, it'll be covered on ESPN.

Of course, a cup for Montreal would be the best case scenario, but since my football team won the superbowl this year, a cup might be too much to ask for this year from the sports gods. I should save some magic for the Mavs and Cards. Doesn't mean I won't "ask"!

Old
04-16-2004, 02:58 AM
Don Draper

so you cheer for a boston team in football, and a montreal team in hockey? Arent there laws against such behaviour?

Old
04-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyx
My vote goes for a Toronto vs Detroit final.
I agree.

Closed Thread