HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Take these broken wings ... Oilers 4, Wings 1

Old
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
How did Delauriers play tonight?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Howard blew. Nilsson and O'Sullivan both had nice goals though. great poise and hands on those. Staios blows or its a shutout.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
un ****ing believable... just watched an entire edition of Sportscentre... no hockey highlights.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:57 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
by 3 people. HF Oilers doesn't have anything to talk about when the Oilers are playing well. This site will get shut down if we ever start winning
Sorry, I was baking brownies and running between the kitchen and living room. Grateful to have satellite living in calgary for games like this.

So the Oil can't be good at being bad yet huh?

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:58 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I thought he played well. He was quick, he was flexible, covered the net for the most part. He did luck out a few times, but I didn't have a sick achey feeling in my stomach.

Old
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
un ****ing believable... just watched an entire edition of Sportscentre... no hockey highlights.
What are you watching it on TSN2? NBA is on TSN right now.

I thought TSN2 ran old Sportscenter repeats from earlier in the day...?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Quite well. The Oilers didn't give the Wings too many good opportunities, though; even during times of sustained offensive pressure.

He did stop Abdelkader on a great opportunity with his glove.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:59 PM
tiger_80

Nah, don't get your hopes too high. This Oilers team is not a bottom 3 team, but they aren't a play-off team either. Probably will finish somewhere around 10-12th spot int the West and pick at #8-10 spot in the draft.

One positive thing about winning though is the potential for guys like Nilsson, Gilbert, and O'Sullivan to raise their value a bit so that they can become trade bait at the deadline...

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 508
haven't been on the site since lunch, so haven't read this or the GDT yet, but i did watch the game and I haven't seen the wings be such an awful team in about 20 years.
wow.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Really good. solid positioning. Battled through screens and traffic to make some strong saves. Really stepped up his game. Showed his athleticism, showed a lot of poise, all around he played really really good. Goalie of the future imo.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueBelle

I bet this will be a short thread. Everyone is too stunned. Is the team going for playoffs or a top five? As fans we know what each of us wants the team to have as a priority

Old
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
Sorry, I was baking brownies and running between the kitchen and living room. Grateful to have satellite living in calgary for games like this.

So the Oil can't be good at being bad yet huh?
That's the problem, BB...they don't compete consistently enough every night to get into the playoffs, but also they pull out wins like this enough to stay out of the top 5 drafting spots! That is what is the most frustrating, to me at least. I don't know what to think anymore, but you can't critique a 4-1 all that much. If they can do this and earn a playoff spot, that's exactly what we want in the first place. But if they're just going to be uneven all season, and not do enough to earn that top 8 seed...then really, I'd just rather see them tank completely.

Anyways, good solid win by them, and it was nice to finally see O'Sullivan get a couple (even if one was a fluke...not that it matters).

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:05 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
That's the problem, BB...they don't compete consistently enough every night to get into the playoffs, but also they pull out wins like this enough to stay out of the top 5 drafting spots! That is what is the most frustrating, to me at least. I don't know what to think anymore, but you can't critique a 4-1 all that much. If they can do this and earn a playoff spot, that's exactly what we want in the first place. But if they're just going to be uneven all season, and not do enough to earn that top 8 seed...then really, I'd just rather see them tank completely.

Anyways, good solid win by them, and it was nice to finally see O'Sullivan get a couple (even if one was a fluke...not that it matters).
See, I said ealier today that I'm ok with the Oilers getting a top draft pick but in fact I would absolutely love for them to win every game I see. As a fan, i'm completely torn. I feel like I have multiple personalities these days. I'm at a loss to comment much more than that.

Old
12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
haven't been on the site since lunch, so haven't read this or the GDT yet, but i did watch the game and I haven't seen the wings be such an awful team in about 20 years.
wow.
Agreed. Adding to their trouble is the fact Jimmy Howard should be in the ECHL not the NHL.

Add: I hope Smid is ok. He got hit hard by Cleary and he missed couple shifts with what appeared to be a shoulder issue.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:11 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
We will see how the oilers play against the stars on saturday.It's a afternoon game which isn't good since the oilers seem to not win much of them.

oilersfan11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Just rewatched two of the goals against Howard.

Wow...I mean the first one off his own defenseman was coming from in close and at a moderate speed, but the second? He sees the puck rolling towards him SLOWLY and he doesn't react at all.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Just rewatched two of the goals against Howard.

Wow...I mean the first one off his own defenseman was coming from in close and at a moderate speed, but the second? He sees the puck rolling towards him SLOWLY and he doesn't react at all.
Sounds perfect for a youtube video

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:14 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

solid solid road game...they brought some intensity tonight for sure...doesn't hurt that Howard was pitiful

not impressed yet....if they rattle off 3 straight wins, then maybe I'll begin to believe

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
See, I said ealier today that I'm ok with the Oilers getting a top draft pick but in fact I would absolutely love for them to win every game I see. As a fan, i'm completely torn. I feel like I have multiple personalities these days. I'm at a loss to comment much more than that.
I'm good.
i'm disgusted that fans are cheering for their team to lose in the hopes of a saviour to come. then when the oilers have a good game, then most of the posts are people whinging that their "favorite" team is doing well. must feel great to cheer for your team to lose. that shows your support.
being in the bottom 5 doesn't mean squat. ask the islanders. how long have they been there?

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

In a season where every other dman has been a -, Visnovsky is +9 and Smid is +10.

I don't really like +/-, but in this case I think it is indicative of the play of our dmen. What a season these 2 have been having.

I would like to see how Smid does with a different partner though, as Visnovsky has a habit of making his partner look better than he is.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Slightly OT, but are any Canadians worried that Babcock might not be the best choice for Olympic coach anymore?

I mean, this guy was untouchable a year back but this year has shown that his systems play is not infallible, and he has issues with player motivation like every other coach.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:21 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The guy has also hit half a dozen goal posts. Theres good luck and bad luck. Penner has scored a few goals that have bounced in off him this year.

Sully was due for a break. Had a lot of composure on the second goal faking the shot and holding. Howard is **** but he faked him out good on that one.

I've said all along Sully can hit for 20 goals. Could happen still.
I agree Replacement. In fact, Sully is only 1 goal off the pace to hit 20 this year- even being horribly snakebitten thus far. If some of his shots start going in instead of off the post- he will easily hit 20.

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:22 PM
frag2

Quote:
Was alright but some stuff, I dunno what everyone was watching, was kind of uggh. He's still having slight probs anticipating IMO. Also, covering the puck seems iffy. But definitely an improvement over last game

Not trying to ruin the "atmosphere" but I'm pretty sure even Toronto would give the Wings fits today. They played just as bad as when we sucked so I'm not sure if we're heading the right direction but a win is a win. Can't complain...or can we?

Damn, I still want Hall/Seguin on team

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:23 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
I'm good.
i'm disgusted that fans are cheering for their team to lose in the hopes of a saviour to come. then when the oilers have a good game, then most of the posts are people whinging that their "favorite" team is doing well. must feel great to cheer for your team to lose. that shows your support.
being in the bottom 5 doesn't mean squat. ask the islanders. how long have they been there?
The Islanders actually made play-offs in 2007. With Tavares and Okposo to build around, they won't be a bad team for much longer.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
I'm good.
Actually only 2 years.They made the playoffs the season before and are currently in a playoff position.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote