HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Andrew Cogliano

Old
12-04-2009, 03:50 AM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Andrew Cogliano

Habs fan coming in peace

just wondering what's wrong with Cogliano? The topic may have been beaten to death on various threads but I couldn't find one specifically on Colgiano. We're hearing of trade rumors and all that stuff. Just wondering what's up with him this year.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:31 AM
dmacin2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Habs fan coming in peace

just wondering what's wrong with Cogliano? The topic may have been beaten to death on various threads but I couldn't find one specifically on Colgiano. We're hearing of trade rumors and all that stuff. Just wondering what's up with him this year.
I don't know if anything is "wrong" with Cogs. He is playing ok.

The weakest part of his game is faceoffs. He is brutal. So Quinn has had no choice but to put him on the wing which he isn't used to. He is still young and recovering from a sophmore jinx that was followed up by the Dany Heatley deal. Also, Brule has been playing very good and has surpassed him so far this season. Which shouldn't be too surprising as Brule is sapposed to be better.

He is still considered a huge part of this teams future and will continue to progress in the coming years.

TBH i am kindof happy that he isn't ripping it up this year. Many Oiler fans were very worried about the 2nd contract that he and Gagner would receive this summer. Unless he lights it up really soon he could be re-signed at a decent price.

I don't really see the Oilers and Canadiens being good trading partners really. They both have the same needs and don't really match up well. Besides the obvious Price, PK Subban and Markov, I can't really think of many players I would be happy with if a Cogliano trade did go through.

dmacin2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 06:27 AM
GorillazXL

Well this year has certainly been a struggle again for the kids (Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson) but out of the three players Cogliano is a player that shows up and makes good plays during the games (for those who watch the games and not the stats) but similar to O'Sullivan, the results certainly hasn't reflected the play. With that said, they are professionals and when you are expected to produce, you need to produce... and there's alot of players on the roster that are not producing.

This year the Oilers on paper look to be good, but kindda like a bad drink mix; in reality, it hasn't been a very good year. Not sure if any mixxing of the sorts from Quinn will help. Maybe its time to trade some parts and start it over. The funny thing is that the one thing that worried alot of fans at the start of the season (goal tending) has been really good until 3 weeks ago when just as predicted, Khabibulin gets injured.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 06:33 AM
OilerzFRLife

because of brules exceptional play as of late, cogliano has been deemed expendable by a lot of users on the hf baords. but neither cogs or brule are guarantees for anything and both will probably battle for top 6 minutes in which cogliano has received little or none of. he is hte most underrated of the kids and shoudl be recognized for his production and accomplishments (3 ot winners in a row) i want nothing from canadians unless its a goaltender. good luck to the habs i hope they arent taking a spot for oil in bottom 5 this year. the chase for hall is over 1/3 of the way there.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 08:59 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
I actually haven't seen much wrong with Cogliano other then the faceoffs. He seems to generate chances with his speed every game, he comes back to help the d.

The worse thing is some fans are starting to compare him to Marchant, hands of stone. I don't see it, sure the odd time he has problems but how the hell is he always around 20 goals and playing on the fourth line with very little PP time?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
because of brules exceptional play as of late, cogliano has been deemed expendable by a lot of users on the hf baords. but neither cogs or brule are guarantees for anything and both will probably battle for top 6 minutes in which cogliano has received little or none of. he is hte most underrated of the kids and shoudl be recognized for his production and accomplishments (3 ot winners in a row) i want nothing from canadians unless its a goaltender. good luck to the habs i hope they arent taking a spot for oil in bottom 5 this year. the chase for hall is over 1/3 of the way there.
Cogliano seemed like he was deemed expendable last year by MacT, then again by Tambo with the trade and then again this year by Quinn. So it's very easy to see why fans would deem him expendable. Now with Brule playing well he becomes even more expendable in the eyes of some.

Again though I don't think we should be counting on Brule just yet. These players have their ups and downs. Nilsson is a perfect example.

Old
12-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Walsher

IMO Cogliano is just overrated. He is never going to be a point producer of any significance. He will be a very servicable player that has great speed. Unfortunately his hands don't match his speed.

I still find it laughable how people thought Cogliano had more offensive upside, or just upside period, than Gagner in the last couple years. And Gagner is more than 2 years younger than Cogs...

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Habs fan coming in peace

Right now Cogliano has lost his confidence. He has the tools to be a consistent 30 goal scorer but mentally he is lost right now. Young players go through those phases and maybe it will take a couple of garbage goals for him to get it together. Maybe it will take a sports psychologist - I don't know.

I do know one thing; if the Oilers trade him, we will be watching him score 30 a season for another team.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 10:02 AM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post
Right now Cogliano has lost his confidence. He has the tools to be a consistent 30 goal scorer but mentally he is lost right now. Young players go through those phases and maybe it will take a couple of garbage goals for him to get it together. Maybe it will take a sports psychologist - I don't know.

I do know one thing; if the Oilers trade him, we will be watching him score 30 a season for another team.
Whats the 649 numbers for this weekend

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
millpoo

I think Cogliano is a tad overrated as well. Hard to argue that he can't build on two 18 goal seasons on a mediocre team, and I think he will be a legitimate top 6 player in the near future. Would love to see him figure out the wing position because, yes, he's brutal at faceoffs. Gagner will be better.

This year it's a matter of circumstance for Cogs. Brule brings more grit, and therefore, has been favored to receive top 6 minutes from Quinn. Andrew has received next to no PP time and really hasn't had the opportunity to play with our most skilled players.

If the right trade came along, I would have no problem packaging him up while retaining Gilbert Brule.

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Tree444

To my eye he's done absolutely everything but score. His forecheck has been much more tenacious, he's still got the speed and he makes plays, but my has he lost confidence. There's been several plays over the last couple games where normally he'd get a goal or at least a good scoring chance and he completely second guesses him self. I still have the utmost faith in himi, and i think trading him now of all times, where his value is the lowest (but potential is still very very high IMO), is a mistake. A couple points or lucky bounces (like o'sullivan last night) and he'll be back.

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Everest

Cogliano's low totals tie back to something we've known for awhile already: We have too many of the same type player(s).

Some of the smallish guys on this roster have to play roles they are overqualified for from time to time. Cogs' was pretty much arbitrarily selected to skate on our 4rth line and he did so for long enough that it put a dent in his stats.

He may have gained some grit, mind you.

Personally, I would have preferred Gagner got the reduction to the 4rth line for longer than the 5 minutes he did. I think there is significant pressure on the club to keep Gagner's direction going towards him being a 'franchise future' (due to his high draft ranking & the fact he made the team in his first try-out) but at least Brule is ahead of Gagner...for that I can be thankful.

As for Cogs' he's going to have to break through real soon. Its to the point where it doesn't matter who he's playing with or how much ice time he's getting...he has to drag the puck to the net with his speed and force his way onto the scoresheet somehow.

He can not only do this...he's totally a good bet to go on a streak.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Walsher

Quote:

I would be shocked if he scores 30 goals in a season in his career. Keep in mind the skill of some previous Oilers and their inability to hit the 30 goal mark. Could I see him hitting 20 a few times? Yes, but to me that is about his limit.

Old
12-04-2009, 11:47 AM
copperandblue

I like Cogliano as a player so it's tough to see him struggle.

I wonder if it's a case where similar to Penner benefitting from the coaching change, if Cogliano is finding the opposite and is struggling with it.

That's not trying to pin blame on either Cogliano or Quinn but sometimes that stuff just happens.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:59 AM
0ilerman
The King

The emergence of Gilbert Brule has marginalized cogliano's role on this team even more. Brule can do everything cogliano can do, but has more size, aggression, grit and better finishing ability. Apart from his speed (which sometimes serves as a detriment to his game) Cogliano has nothing going with his game. No confidence and very little chance to excel in limited minutes might make him the odd man out when it comes time to resigning our young guys

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:03 PM
CupofOil

I think Cogliano, like a lot of our prospects has fallen victim to overhype which is common with many rabid fanbases...... If people expect him to be a consistent 30 goal scorer, they will be disappointed, he just doesn't have the hands or shot to do that and those are god given abilities that he won't just discover overnight..... However, i do expect him to eclipse 20 goals with the right linemates based on his speed alone and if he continues to forecheck like he has in the last 3 games or so.
Unfortunately, i don't see a place for him on this roster going forward with Eberle most likely being on the big club next year and MPS most likely the year after that.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
I would be shocked if he scores 30 goals in a season in his career. Keep in mind the skill of some previous Oilers and their inability to hit the 30 goal mark. Could I see him hitting 20 a few times? Yes, but to me that is about his limit.
You have to remember, he scored 18 goals last season while playing only 14 minutes a night with no powerplay time, buried on the 3rd line. And that was under the dark cloud of the MacTavish regime.

Given a proper opportunity to show what he has, he can be a 30 goal scorer.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 12-04-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Other Little Mikey

I will give him credit for this, he's added a lot more grit than I thought he was capable of lately. Not that he's hitting guys but he gets in there on the forecheck and battles. So, even though he's not scoring right now, that's good to see.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:01 PM
awesomo
HARD!

hes in a little slump but i think it will be no problem for him to eventually get out of it. Hes young and he will learn.

What i do love is his compete level, hes like a hawk on the puck. Hes played very well IMO

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:02 PM
joestevens29

Why is it we give up on prospects after 2-3 years? Why is it teams like Detroit don't write of prospects until they are in their mid-20's?

Old
12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
I will give him credit for this, he's added a lot more grit than I thought he was capable of lately. Not that he's hitting guys but he gets in there on the forecheck and battles. So, even though he's not scoring right now, that's good to see.
You can thank Comrie for that. Sounds like either he told Andrew or Andrew asked him how to be a better small player.

Old
12-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Phaser

I wouldn't mind seeing cogs moved up to play with Penner and Brule. If I recall, that was the line they started the season with, and all three players were doing pretty well.

Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:

Completely disagree. The kid is not only soft, he does not have a lot of finish. If the oilers do trade him it will be for a young sniper with similar potential. If they don't get good value he's not going anywhere.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Walsher

Quote:
You have to remember, he scored 18 goals last season while playing only 14 minutes a night with no powerplay time, buried on the 3rd line. And that was under the dark cloud of the MacTavish regime.

Given a proper opportunity to show what he has, he can be a 30 goal scorer.
Cogliano is getting 14 minutes a night with no PP time burried on the 3rd line under the Quinn regime and is on pace for less than 9 goals... Which is the exception and which is the rule?

By MacT regime I assume you mean defensive oriented (because that is everyones perception of that regime). Using that logic he should be excelling under the Quinn regime (perception being Quinn lets his skill players do their thing). But he is not.

Any player, who when they are drafted was being described as within the Todd Marchant mould, will not hit 30 goals in the NHL. Cogliano has no hands, not much a shot, no size, but has all-world wheels. Keep in mind how many 30 goal guys there are in the league - are there players with the potential to hit 30 and don't? There are tons. There are tons of players way better than Cogliano that haven't and won'y hit 30. Again, I just can't see it. I hope I am wrong - but I have seen the story over and over in Edmonton. Fans think they have something more than what they have. Exhibit #1 - 2 years ago Edmonton media and fans comparing Patrick Kane and Johnathan Toews to Gagner and Cogliano...

Old
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why is it we give up on prospects after 2-3 years? Why is it teams like Detroit don't write of prospects until they are in their mid-20's?
The difference is Detroit is good enough they can develop their prospects in the AHL because there is no rush to get them in the league. When was the last time Detroit jumped a young player into their every day roster without seasoning in the AHL?

Edmonton expects excellence out of youngsters immediately and becomes flustered when it doesn't happen immediately.

It also helps when you have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Rafalski etc. etc. etc to carry the load while youngsters learn the game.