HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Melrose

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 07:02 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Barry Melrose

Melrose stated yesterday, and I'll quote on how I just heard a clip from ESPN radio. 'Don't judge Canadians by the actios of French Canadians, we don't like them either. By we, I mean English Canadians, we don't like the French and they don't like the English, not just Americans' I suppose everyone will hear this soon enough. my question is for all my fellow anglos out there. How much do you enjoy a clown like Melrose speaking for you. I don't need to read posts from Francophones to know what you think here. It would be insulting if it weren't from such a moron. The part I find objectionable is how guys like this get a forum and pretend to speak for someone other than themselves, I didn't hear ESPN's reaction as I just heard the clip replayed on Team 990. Somehow, I don't think he would be allowed to speculate on anyone's feelings towards Jews,African Americans and Asians. I hesitated for a second in posting this, but it's going to be out there anyways. It kind of saddens me how easily people talk about things they don't know the first thing about. I guess we should be thankful for Melrose, he helped get us our 24th Cup.

Old
04-15-2004, 07:08 AM
Mike The Wall

Melrose is a bum oublie lui

Old
04-15-2004, 07:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
I guess that if someone is that pathetic and they desire the public eye, it's good that they are exposed for who or what they are.

Old
04-15-2004, 07:13 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
Agreed!

Old
04-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Mike The Wall

Why do we fret when ever there is some ignorant as*h*le that come up with these comments. He coached the LA team with Anthony Robbins help he has never done anything else besides cuoff his hair. Let this Canadian reject stay in his little ignorant shell and let him come up with his dumb comments he is killing himself

Old
04-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Sonik

Melrose got his a** kicked by french-canadiens in the Stanley Cup finals in 1993. He's just bitter. Let him talk, it just shows how much he's dumb.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:09 AM
habfan4

Barry who? Is Melrose hoping to become the american version of Don Cherry?

I think the Canadiens need to take him to task for his comments - either Gainey or preferably Boivin (perhaps even George Gillett himself) should send him and his ilk a message.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Darz

I assume Mr. Melrose figured that if he said something controversial maybe someone would listen to him. I love when some stupid idiot decides to speak for 2/3 of the country like that. I guess that would be like me stating that the country of Canada doesn't like Barry Melrose and hopes he stays in the states, because his sweater wearing, outdated hair style ass isn't welcome in THIS country.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:15 AM
mcphee

His name has been rumoured for the Phoenix job. Draft choices from the Q should know who they're playing for. I guess he felt Robitaille was one of the 'good ones'.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Melrose stated yesterday, and I'll quote on how I just heard a clip from ESPN radio. 'Don't judge Canadians by the actios of French Canadians, we don't like them either. By we, I mean English Canadians, we don't like the French and they don't like the English, not just Americans' I suppose everyone will hear this soon enough. my question is for all my fellow anglos out there. How much do you enjoy a clown like Melrose speaking for you. I don't need to read posts from Francophones to know what you think here. It would be insulting if it weren't from such a moron. The part I find objectionable is how guys like this get a forum and pretend to speak for someone other than themselves, I didn't hear ESPN's reaction as I just heard the clip replayed on Team 990. Somehow, I don't think he would be allowed to speculate on anyone's feelings towards Jews,African Americans and Asians. I hesitated for a second in posting this, but it's going to be out there anyways. It kind of saddens me how easily people talk about things they don't know the first thing about. I guess we should be thankful for Melrose, he helped get us our 24th Cup.
Melrose seems to want to position himself as a New Age Don Cherry. It's a bizarre combination. The guy should be smarter than that, but at the end of the day... I think he's just a bit creepy. Guys like that scare me. Redneck attitude melded to prettyboy stylings erupting with overblown ego, with just enough totally misdirected intelligence and talking-head snake-oil charisma to win a following. He seems to think that the way to popularise hockey is to make it some kind of totally overblown paper-thin hypefest like pro wrestling...

Old
04-15-2004, 08:21 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
He's got a freakin' mullet! A Kentucky Waterfall! Who in their right mind will listen to a guy like that?

Old
04-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Melrose seems to want to position himself as a New Age Don Cherry. It's a bizarre combination. The guy should be smarter than that, but at the end of the day... I think he's just a bit creepy. Guys like that scare me. Redneck attitude melded to prettyboy stylings erupting with overblown ego, with just enough totally misdirected intelligence and talking-head snake-oil charisma to win a following. He seems to think that the way to popularise hockey is to make it some kind of totally overblown paper-thin hypefest like pro wrestling...
Whups, all of that and I forgot to answer the question!
Of course it bothers me when clowns like that pretend to talk for me. His remarks are hateful and I'm ashamed that he calls himself Canadian. So to French Canadians:

'Don't judge English Canadians by the actions of Bozo Redneck English Canadian TV Commentators, we don't like them either. By we, I mean English Canadians, we don't like the Bozo Redneck English Canadian TV Commentators and they don't like the French...'

Old
04-15-2004, 08:33 AM
habaholic

Hey McPhee, apart from being a real good guy, you're thoughtful, smart and respectful and you shouldn't feel embarassed by what that ignorant dumba$$ says. Unfortunately, there are rotten apples everywhere in this world and we can't do a thing about it.

The problem is that alot of these clowns have the possibilty of using powerful media means to propagate their message which is really unfortunate. On the other hand this(forums) is what we, the average people, have, and it's great that someone like yourself can come out and say, you know what....I don't agree!!!

I always thought this as a good way to look at people....when looking at others, look for things you have in common with them...not differences, then we'll all get along.

On this board, we're all habs fans, at this site we're all hockey fans....why can't we all be friends????

My motivation speach

Old
04-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic
Hey McPhee, apart from being a real good guy, you're thoughtful, smart and respectful and you shouldn't feel embarassed by what that ignorant dumba$$ says. Unfortunately, there are rotten apples everywhere in this world and we can't do a thing about it.

The problem is that alot of these clowns have the possibilty of using powerful media means to propagate their message which is really unfortunate. On the other hand this(forums) is what we, the average people, have, and it's great that someone like yourself can come out and say, you know what....I don't agree!!!

I always thought this as a good way to look at people....when looking at others, look for things you have in common with them...not differences, then we'll all get along.

On this board, we're all habs fans, at this site we're all hockey fans....why can't we all be friends????

My motivation speach
AGREED. I would add that Melrose is not a particularly bright individual and I think he's pandering for ratings. Quite pathetic and damaging to any number of impressionable kids who might look up to this dimwit.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Waltah*

c'mon guys, what about the mullet :lol

Old
04-15-2004, 09:02 AM
mcphee

Habaholic, I'm not embarassed by anything Billy Ray Melrose has to say because he doesn't represent me or anyone else. I think publicizing his comments is a good thing because everyone should be exposed for what they are, good or bad. I am disappointed by anyone who would consider him a spokesman for anyone or anything. I think Melrose should have to wear these comments just like anyone else with a media position would. Remember Jimmy the Greek, NFL commentator in the 70's discussing how Blacks were better athletes because of the way the better physical specimens were bred during slavery. He never worked again. I don't like political correctness and think people over react about a lot of innocent comments, but to me this is way over the line. My hesitation in posting this had more to do with board guidelines and not making the mods life miserable needlessly.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:19 AM
windycity

Barry Melrose is an Idiot

I've thought so ever since the 93 finals when he criticized Demers after game 2 for having McSorely's stick measured saying that he would never do such a thing (i.e., like it was unsportsmanlike).

Which makes him an idiot since (1) as a coach you should use all measures within the rules to try and get an advantage to help your team win (and if Demers had been wrong the Habs would have been penalized so it was not risk-free), and (2) he or his staff should know if his players are using illegal sticks so he put his team's success in jeapordy.

Melrose = Idiot

Old
04-15-2004, 09:38 AM
habaholic

I don't like political correctness and think people over react about a lot of innocent comments, but to me this is way over the line

I share the same feelings!!!

Now enough with these dumbwits and let's all focus our energy toward those habs and the hockey game tonight....here's hoping they send this one back to the bell center

Old
04-15-2004, 09:50 AM
08Neely
Blades of Steel

Quote:
His name has been rumoured for the Phoenix job. Draft choices from the Q should know who they're playing for. I guess he felt Robitaille was one of the 'good ones'.

Please no....I'm a B's fan first, but I have season tix to the Yotes and if he comes here on the Wayne parade I may have to puke. Gretz has already made a few questionable moves like Paul Coffey the "Power Play Consultant" (and I say that with as much dripping sarcasm as possible)

Tocchet is the guy that has been named frequently on sports radio here to replace Bowness.

Melrose is a twit, I would rather listen to Glen Healy and Don Cherry call a Leafs vs. Team Russia game than listen to Melrose prattle on about anything.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:01 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Neely
Please no....I'm a B's fan first, but I have season tix to the Yotes and if he comes here on the Wayne parade I may have to puke. Gretz has already made a few questionable moves like Paul Coffey the "Power Play Consultant" (and I say that with as much dripping sarcasm as possible)

Tocchet is the guy that has been named frequently on sports radio here to replace Bowness.

Melrose is a twit, I would rather listen to Glen Healy and Don Cherry call a Leafs vs. Team Russia game than listen to Melrose prattle on about anything.
Didn't realize you were in Arizona. Can I stay in your house for 3 months next winter ? Got a satellite dish ? Can I bring my goats ?

Old
04-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Joe Cole

Melrose...what a media lackey.

What has this guy done since he had his XXXX handed to him by a team of so-so's. (that Habs team was not a contender) Imagine, the guy had Gretzky in close to his peak and he still couldn't win.

How will he ever be able to motivate and lead a team in the NHL, if he ever gets a new job? Chances are pretty good that he will have at least a few francophones on the roster. I would like to see him side step that comment with a proud francophone.

Guys like him can talk tough when they do not have someone right in front of them.

Time has left this guy and his ego behind. I hope that the Coyotes do not make the mistake of hiring this low-brow has-been.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:06 AM
08Neely
Blades of Steel

Quote:
Didn't realize you were in Arizona. Can I stay in your house for 3 months next winter ? Got a satellite dish ? Can I bring my goats ?
Center Ice my frozen friend - all the games.

Make sure you bring some hockey gear too, nothing like going into a rink when it's 100 deg F plus in the summer.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:09 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Neely
Center Ice my frozen friend - all the games.

Make sure you bring some hockey gear too, nothing like going into a rink when it's 100 deg F plus in the summer.
And we loaded up the truck and moved to sunny AZ, Phoenix that is, swimming pools, movie stars.

Just realized 90% of the board wouldn't get the Hillbilly reference. mcphee sinks into a depression, opens 1st beer of day.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:11 AM
tnq

Media guys always try to create controversy even they are in french side or english side. But i have to tell the truth, many english don't love french and vice versa but it is quite normal, right ?

Old
04-15-2004, 10:13 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i dont get espn/melrose so i guess im not missing anything

Closed Thread