HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Kovalev to blame or is someone else?

View Poll Results: What do you blame for tonight's loss?
Kovalev. He should have kept playing. Label him as the scapegoat. 68 37.16%
The Refs. That slash should have been called, even in OT. 19 10.38%
The "no penalties called in OT" motto in the NHL. 16 8.74%
Claude Julien. Shoulda had Perreault out there for the late 3rd period faceoff. 22 12.02%
It's a loss. Suck it up, no one is to blame. 58 31.69%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 01:27 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Is Kovalev to blame or is someone else?

In an attempt to clear Kovalev's name amongst us Habs fans, I figured we could have a vote to distinguish what or who is realy to blame for tonight's loss.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:31 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
In an attempt to clear Kovalev's name amongst us Habs fans, I figured we could have a vote to distinguish what or who is realy to blame for tonight's loss.

Julien for not having the right face off man(Yanic) with 21 secs left in the game to secure the win.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
I'll go with the last option.

Now I'm more pissed at Julie and Souray than anything else.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Dripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Julien for not having the right face off man(Yanic) with 21 secs left in the game to secure the win.
What's the point? Dowd won the faceoff anyway

Old
04-14-2004, 01:47 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper
What's the point? Dowd won the faceoff anyway
If it had been a clean win straight to the deffence the puck would have been shot to the neutral zone. The Bruins would have never had it.

But you can qualify as a dumb option if you'd like... what do YOU think is to blame? vote please.

Last edited by not quite yoda: 04-14-2004 at 01:52 AM.
Old
04-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
If you ask me, how many giveaway did we give to the Bruins in our own zone because of our incapability to clean the D-Zone ?

Also can someone shoot Rivet, it's probably his 2,340,543 ''DÉGAGEMENT REFUSÉ'' he did this season. Grrr I hate him.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:08 AM
habsfan4life

It's a loss.... suck it up!

HABS IN 7!!

Old
04-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I voted for the last option.

Lets go boys bring it back to the Bell Centre!!!!

Old
04-14-2004, 02:29 AM
Habsolution

I'd have voted The Odour...

But since he wasn't in the option I didn't vote.

If theo makes one more save we don't even get to OT, the series is tied, Kovalev played a fantastic game, Souray and Julien never made those comments, etc, etc ,etc.

I hate Theo. He always manages to get all the freakin' credit when the habs win no matter how he played and rarely ever gets any of the blame when they lose. On the other hand all the other players are subject to the worst bashing when they lose and hardly ever get any credits when they all play well and bail Theo out.

I still can't get over the fact he acted like a Prima Donna two off season ago, came in camp out of shape after signing a huge contract and still won the Molson Cup after a crappy season when guys like Koivu, Zednik and Markov were all much more deserving.

What frustrates me about THeo is that he's inconsistent as hell. He can win you games on his own but he'll also lose them on his own. Theo is a small goalie who doesn't cover up a lot of the net and when he's not on his game he's just terrible.

I'd definately start Garon on thursday and see what he's made of. I don't want us to trade him without ever knowing who's the right goalie for this franchise.

Last edited by Habsolution: 04-14-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Old
04-14-2004, 02:31 AM
Habsolution

Did I mention I hate the fact that Theo rarely comes out and admit when he plays like a big pile of crap ? It's always the same song : "We have to play better". While it used to be true now it's more like YOU HAVE TO PLAY BETTER ! Just say it out loud Theo : "I was crappy from day 1 of the playoffs, I choked and what's amazing is that my teamates were able to bail me out once and win a game the way I was playing."

Old
04-14-2004, 02:45 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
What happened, happened in a split second to Kovy. He made a mistake, and I'm sure he regrets it. By the time he realized what happened, the game was over.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:54 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
anyways the series would be over without Kovy ...

Old
04-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Disco Volante

I just hope nobody gets booed if ever there is a game 6 ( I doubt it, even more now that Julien and Souray put some of the blame themselves on Kovalev, I doubt this team plays like one in game 5... but still, I hope Ribeiro shows some leadership and gets the guys to work together... yeah, I said Ribeiro).

Old
04-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
What happened, happened in a split second to Kovy. He made a mistake, and I'm sure he regrets it. By the time he realized what happened, the game was over.
Thank you. There's hope in the world after all.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:30 AM
cyrisweb

I cann't underdstand how one of the best faceoff guys in the entire leaque is not put out there in the final few seconds of such a vital game. Pure idiocy.

Is Perrault in the doghouse and a message is being sent to him? or what.. this is the playoffs.. hardly a time to be sending a message..

Old
04-14-2004, 04:47 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
why isn't there a "where is Theodore in those playoffs?" ?

i went with the last option, we won't redo the game anyway so let's hope we bring an effort similar to the one we had tonight to Boston.

If the habs play like they did tonight (with a solid goaltender) from now on, i can't possibly see a team stopping them. Just hope the players/coach talk eye to eye tomorrow.

Old
04-14-2004, 05:30 AM
trentmccleary

I know it got real popular for all the hockey journalists to blame Kovalev last night, but I gotta say that it's still a penalty.

I could understand the ref's letting it go if it looked in any way accidental, but it wasn't.
What the hell was Green thinking?
What's his excuse? ... I was going for the puck and I'm near-sighted? ... I saw a piece of lint on his uniform and wanted to knock it off? ... Mosquitoe!!!

Dumb play!
Dumb player!
Should have been a penalty!

Old
04-14-2004, 05:52 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Anyways if Kovalev was not here the serie would be over now

Old
04-14-2004, 06:05 AM
electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Anyways if Kovalev was not here the serie would be over now

Which is why the Habs should sign him for next year if they know what's good for them. This guy is the best player on the team by a long shot.

Old
04-14-2004, 06:37 AM
ZBORNAJA

Send a message via ICQ to ZBORNAJA
KOvalev played great last night watching video... soo sad montreal lost

Old
04-14-2004, 06:45 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I think that Theo not playing like he can is the main factor for this lost. Is it just me or Theo freaks me out the moment a Bruins is shooting on him?

It's like a big adventure each time... with disastrous consequences like yesterday, and when you think of that, at least one time per game since the playoffs begun.

Well... I hope they put it away and come out strong in the next game.
We still can win!

Old
04-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
How can you say he made a mistake?Gee he didn't move his hand out of the way from a slashing Bruins player.Did you see the slash?He felt it my friend!These damn refs are to blame for the way the game had gone!

Old
04-14-2004, 06:51 AM
Dripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
anyways the series would be over without Kovy ...
Completely agree

Old
04-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Dripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
If it had been a clean win straight to the deffence the puck would have been shot to the neutral zone. The Bruins would have never had it.

But you can qualify as a dumb option if you'd like... what do YOU think is to blame? vote please.
I would vote for the "you're not supposed to go into overtime when you have a 2 goals lead"

As for the faceoff, I don't blame Julien at all. The faceoff was on the right side and Dowd's a righty. Plus Dowd was better than Perreault in the faceoffs at that time in the game (64% for Dowd, 50% for Perreault) and Dowd is labeled as a good faceoff man. It's not like that Lindsay thing 2 years ago.

What bugs me is that offside when the Boston player threw the puck in our own zone while all the Boston players were still in it. That cost us the game since Bulis had control of the puck and could have score the empty netter. Why wasn't the faceoff deep in Boston's zone as it is when a player deliberately dumps the puck in the other zone to create an offside?

Old
04-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Jacques Strappe

There's not one specific incident that is to blame for this loss.

Yes, ultimately Kovalev should have at a minimum kept his head up to get out of Souray's way. But have you ever been 2-handed across the forearm? It doesn't feel too damn good especially when you get it right across the bone.

Julien. The faceoff late in the third. Yes Dowd won the faceoff, but did Julien not watch the Montreal-Carolina series 2 years ago when Therrien put Bill Lindsay in to take the faceoff which ended the Habs' playoff run?

Rivet. He played horribly ALL NIGHT. Every time he touched the puck I stopped breathing because he couldn't control it. Then with the icing late in the game and losing the battle after Dowd's faceoff...

The officiating. As a rule I never blame the officiating. But I must just say that Zednik must find it hard playing hockey while carrying a Bruin on his back all night...

Theo. The first 2 goals were stoppable. Was he screened? perhaps. But they were stoppable. He stopped those shots 2 years ago.

Team game, team blame I say.

Never quit, never give up. The Habs have outplayed the B's the past 3 games. They can do it the next 3 too.

I BELIEVE!

Closed Thread