HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire will be in the GM replacement mix

Old
12-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Interesting bilingual candidates (not that I care as far as a GM 'cause we're used to hear him 3 times a year...)

Blair McKasey
Alain Chainey
André Savard (blast from the past)
Julien Brisebois (too young, but I'll keep him on my team no matter what happens)
Claude Carrier
Claude Larose (not sure...)
Larry Carrière (not sure, part 2)

One non-french guy I'd like to have on my team:
Jarmo Kekalainen

Also....how about going the Agents route and see what kind of GM a guy like Robert Sauvé would be. If Lacroix was able to do it....I would not have confidence in Lupien though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Stiffler

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
I don't understand why Andre Savard's name keeps coming up, he brought us back to the playoff race and had a good nose for drafting players but lacked in so many other departements... Remember that 4M$ a year offer to Brian Savage? Than trading Savage for Berezin? Only adding Czerkawski and McKay after the surprising 2002 season? Not getting a single player outside of Higgins to even knock at the door of the big club in 2002? Signing Brisebois to a 4M$ contract? Not that he was terrible, but he definitely wasn't anything special. I would look at other candidates before bringing his name back.

And I think McGuire is an interesting character on television and should stay there. I really like him there, but wouldn't give him the reigns of a team.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:17 PM
blah blah blah

McGuire only recently was open to working as a GM. In the past, he said he wasn't interested because he enjoys the job he has now. He wouldn't be able to have the connections he has now, or be able to work the WJC, if he was a GM. Not to mention the family comitments.[/QUOTE]

MY ASS.

Even if he did say that, which probably can't be coaborated, sounds like a guy making excuses for not getting his phone calls returned. He'd take an NHL GM job in a nanosecond. And, there's been a lot of them available. He isn't qualified to go from broadcaster to NHL GM. At least, not with my team. Apparently he isn't even qualified to be an NHL head coach, a job he actually has experience doing.

Hire the smartest, most qualified candidate, not the one we just happen to see all the time. I'm sure there is a current NHL assistant GM out there that has a few good ideas too. Kinda like why they are currently employed by an NHL team doing NHL work as opposed to a broadcaster. If McGuire wants to be a GM, take the assistant route and actually know what the job entails instead of the no accountability fantasy world he thinks it is.

blah blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
If this happened I would be in shock for days. I don't agree with your assesment of him either. I don't see any proof that he is great at picking talent or that he understands the CBA etc. McGuire is a overhyped loud mouth who knows not nearly as much about the game of hockey as he contends.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Bronto Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooperSingh View Post
Like someone mentioned before, there's a reason others were picked before him. If Gainey steps down, I believe Martin is first in line for the GM job.

bingo!!

Bronto Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
hf spew with retards after disapoitment habs games. yea lets **** this team in the ass even harder, hey lets get dregger too, and what about melnick , hes got GM experience to! lets hire the TSN crew, then might as well get Burke too.
L'antichambre should be a GM-committee of the habs

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:45 PM
SooperSingh

Cmon boys, enough negativity, i want all you guys in the birthday thread!

It's your birthday today!

SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:46 PM
m00ks

You might not like his personality or his outspokenness but the man knows his hockey and is passionate about the team to a fault. The only thing that would worry me about Mcguire is his ego and emotion which might come in the way of making smart hockey decisions when called upon. People who always think they are right are stubborn beyond belief and if that comes into play, we're in for some major disappointment.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:52 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Interesting bilingual candidates (not that I care as far as a GM 'cause we're used to hear him 3 times a year...)

Blair McKasey
Alain Chainey
Julien Brisebois (too young, but I'll keep him on my team no matter what happens)
Claude Carrier

Jarmo Kekalainen

Also....how about going the Agents route and see what kind of GM a guy like Robert Sauvé would be. If Lacroix was able to do it....I would not have confidence in Lupien though.
McKasey, Chainey and Carrier i would take them to replace Timmins not gainey....they dont have what it take to GM of the montreal canadiens (see Andre Savard)

Kekalainen is a heck of a scout for the blues but dont think the blues will let him go and is he GM potential in montreal ?

you talk about Agent why not Pat Brisson ?

btw, and if pierre gauthier come close to be GM of the habs im going to kill my cat

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:52 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Blair McKasey
Alain Chainey
Claude Carrier

Jarmo Kekalainen

I think McKasey would make an excellent pro scout.
GM? Not that much.

Brisebois should definitely be considered. However, if im geoff molson, I try to find a way to hire vincent damphousse for any spot in the organization.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
WestIslander

Blair McKasey is possible!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I do have to say that for the most part, the players he likes at the draft do well
as NHLers.

I'm sure he'd make adecent replacement when gainey does step down.
And Keenan McCardle became the superstar that McGuire pegged him to become.

For every player that he's right about, there's at least one that he's wrong about.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Darz

after reading this thread and giving it some thought...I think I'm happy to keep Gainey where he is..

...oh to anyone who thought Serge Savard was a bad GM, remember in 12 years on the job....
- 2 Stanley Cups
- 3 Stanley Cup final appearances
- 5 Conference championship appearances

12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

This would be a nightmare.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

This should be a poll to see if people would accept him or not. It would be an interesting one

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
As per Tony Marinaro last night on the Baton Rouge Habs post game show:

''Pierre McGuire will be in the mix if Bob Gainey is fired''

What do you guys think about this and would you be content with him as GM of our beloved Habs?

Positives:

- He knows talent, knows the game and the players around the league
- He is agressive in his approach and believes in building through the draft
- He understands the CBA and the business side of the game
- He learned from the one and only Scotty Bowman

Negatives:

- He is a closet Maple Leafs fan
- He has verbally ripped the Habs, Habs players, coaching and management for years
- He has no experience as the GM of an NHL team
For some rather strange reason, this past Tuesday, Geoff Molson indicated that he was happy with GAINEY. Then he went on to say that it's important for the Habs to win (but he didn't say "what" or "how many games" he wants them to win)!

Is this guy delusional or is this maybe just a smoke screen (i.e. the vote of confidence before the firing)?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:19 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
I come in peace and to discuss hockey because im bored in math right now lol.
I don't think Gainey is as bad as some are making him out to be. He's gotten a little unlucky the last couple years thats about it. The habs got hit pretty hard with injuries last season heading into the playoffs, and that hurts. You can replace 1 player sometimes, but the amount you lost hurt. Tanguay and Lang was a little hard to take. Price had a hard time last season, and I think you missed a veteran presence either behind him or in the net. And this season, losing Markov was just the start. Thats something a GM cant control. He's made some good moves, and some questionable ones. But every GM needs to take a risk or two during his time in the big chair. He's done a decent job. He's made a few mistakes, but ultimately in my opinion, injuries(especially Markov) have hurt the habs the most. You just don't replace a guy like a Markov.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Like someone mentioned before, there's a reason others were picked before him. If Gainey steps down, I believe Martin is first in line for the GM job.
I don't think so. Martin apparently didn't like being a GM in Florida and prefers coahing. Also, with the new ownership group all old bets are off. In the end I would imagine Martin staying on as coach for another year or two, if he doesn't perform well, he'd get the boot in the 3rd year of his 4 year contract imo.

I would imagine a guy like Lacroix being a huge candidate and putting his boy Roy in as an associate coach for a couple of years before taking over. This is my Swamy moment!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan2992 View Post
This should be a poll to see if people would accept him or not. It would be an interesting one
I can't stand the guys TV persona..but i used to listen to him fairly regularly on the radio and i found him much more tolerable.

I would accept his as GM...not saying he is the best candidate, but if he was named GM tomorrow i would accept it and give him some time to see what he could get done with this club.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You don't have a clue what you're talking about. He still thinks Emelin is one of the best d-man prospects on the planet. He stops tracking the prospects after the WJC. Also, McGuire crucified the Habs for drafting Price because he claimed we were set for years in nets with Theodore.
...that's a tired argument.

When you have a Hart/Vezina trophy winner in net, you tend to feel safe. The odds of Price turning out and Theodore imploding were pretty damn long, but it always looks smart when it turns out.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:44 PM
SooperSingh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I don't think so. Martin apparently didn't like being a GM in Florida and prefers coahing. Also, with the new ownership group all old bets are off. In the end I would imagine Martin staying on as coach for another year or two, if he doesn't perform well, he'd get the boot in the 3rd year of his 4 year contract imo.

I would imagine a guy like Lacroix being a huge candidate and putting his boy Roy in as an associate coach for a couple of years before taking over. This is my Swamy moment!
You may be right but I just can't see Pierre as the next gm and I certainly wouldn't want that.

People have mentioned that he knows players etc. Well that's his job.

Another thing, it's easy to criticize people when you don't have to make decisions. Besides, I'm sure it's not just gainey making decisions at the draft table, he has to listen to timmins and co.

SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:03 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Just because he didn't get the job, doesn't mean the person who did will do better. People hire based on who they HOPE will be the best for the job, but only time will tell if they were right. I am sure that in general, there have been thousands of instances in this world where the man that got the job was not as good for it as some others that were interviewed for the same position.

Now i am not saying McGuire is right for the job, i really don't know. But all i am saying is your logic as to why he would do no good is flawed.
any reasons why he WOULD make a good GM, except for his A+ hockey lingo? is that what makes a good gm? or is it somone who has ben around the league as a stanley cup player, as a stanley cup GM ? theres people on this board who have had deeper and better analysys on players situation then Mcguire has on tv/radio. all i see in this dbag is that hes an oportunistic donk with somewhat more knowledge then other hockey "analysts" in canada, making his only possible splash as a gm through his lovefest team 990. you guys are fools and driven by people who have one main purpose, to get you to listen to their worthless comments day after day.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
You may be right but I just can't see Pierre as the next gm and I certainly wouldn't want that.

People have mentioned that he knows players etc. Well that's his job.

Another thing, it's easy to criticize people when you don't have to make decisions. Besides, I'm sure it's not just gainey making decisions at the draft table, he has to listen to timmins and co.
I can't say I wouldn't want Pierre as GM, but he's not my first choice. I put a premieum on experience and past success. Lacroix I think should be the top candidate if he'd leave his job in Colorado. I also think guys like Rutherford could be had but then again you have to have a French GM in this city which seriously handicaps your choices.

I wonder if Scotty would take the position as GM 40 years after he was rebuffed from that position? Probably not, but could you just imagine!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Do not forget Yzerman !!!

My dream would be to have Steve Y. as GM
Steve Yzerman? What does this have to do with the glorious past of the Habs?

At least I think Pierre would bring a physical style to the team.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:43 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo74 View Post
Then tell me how Detroit manages to be a cup contender every year even though they are always drafting 25-30
Every UFA salivates at the thought of playing there, and they have what is probably the best pro scouting team in the league...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote