HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire will be in the GM replacement mix

Old
12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
after reading this thread and giving it some thought...I think I'm happy to keep Gainey where he is..

...oh to anyone who thought Serge Savard was a bad GM, remember in 12 years on the job....
- 2 Stanley Cups
- 3 Stanley Cup final appearances
- 5 Conference championship appearances
THANK YOU. Finally someone that isn't a complete idiot. How can someone think Savard did a bad job is beyond me.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Every UFA salivates at the thought of playing there, and they have what is probably the best pro scouting team in the league...
Clearly, since Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Lidstrom, Filppula all make minor parts of the core when compared to Rafalski, their only substantial UFA signing.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
THANK YOU. Finally someone that isn't a complete idiot. How can someone think Savard did a bad job is beyond me.
I don't think he did a bad job, but I think the game was evolving and he wasn't. I'd be a skeptic should he return.

Drafting also deteriorated on his watch.

Old
12-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
And Keenan McCardle became the superstar that McGuire pegged him to become.

For every player that he's right about, there's at least one that he's wrong about.
If McGuire's batting 50%, that's pretty good.

Not sure what your point is here, other than to make the self-evident point that drafting is an inexact process. McGuire's proven to be strong when it comes to evaluating young players.

Old
12-04-2009, 04:03 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Clearly, since Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Lidstrom, Filppula all make minor parts of the core when compared to Rafalski, their only substantial UFA signing.
Hossa went there, and multiple other players throughout the years though (Robitaille, Hull, Chelios, etc).

Old
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
I don't think he did a bad job, but I think the game was evolving and he wasn't. I'd be a skeptic should he return.

I don't disagree. However, you can say pretty much the same thing about Gainey.

Old
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Pierre McGuire the bald guy from TSN????
And what hole have you been living in?

As much as the things that he says bug me, he certainly know what's up

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
TheGoalJudge

I want a GM that thinks with their brain and not with their heart.

And before someone says, "like Gainey?". Yes, like Gainey but smarter, sharper and more efficient.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:07 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Yeah, because most of those guys never chose to resign with Detroit vs other teams as UFAs? A lot of those guys were also drafted over a decade ago... Using Detroit as an example of building through the draft is ridiculous...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
mcphee

Quote:
If McGuire's batting 50%, that's pretty good.

Not sure what your point is here, other than to make the self-evident point that drafting is an inexact process. McGuire's proven to be strong when it comes to evaluating young players.
I also think that by and large, we've lost the ability to listen and accurately report what someone says, whether it be McGuire's opinion on young players or a radio host speculating that 'if' this happens, maybe this can happen.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Hossa went there, and multiple other players throughout the years though (Robitaille, Hull, Chelios, etc).
Chelios was traded there. Everyone else was a support/complementary player.

Old
12-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Miller Time

as much as I'm not crazy about his "schtick" on TSN, i think that people need to remember that he is a very smart individual and a big part of the antics are an act done precisely to create the polarizing caricature people either love or hate.

when you look past the hyperboles and over the top praise and criticism he drums up every broadcast, he actually is one of the better hockey analyst in the business, imo.

he has a great knowledge of the game, and more importantly, of the personalities that make for success at both the junior and pro ranks.

the more i watch him, the more i think that he'd be a very good GM.

my only concerns would be in the direct negotiations with other GM's, not sure how much he has in the tact and personal persuasion department, and his credibility with the players, especially older ones... (unlike Gainey, he wouldn't have that immediate credibility due to his illustrious playing career to bank on)
but again, that's based on the impression he leaves as a t.v personality, which is likely very different than his "behind closed doors" personality.

he also strikes me as someone with a great deal of respect for the various professions that make up the professional hockey world, and I could see him as the type of GM that surrounds himself with very good people and smart enough to trust/rely on their judgement/expertise when making his decisions.

either way, it's highly unlikely he'd do any worse than what we've seen the past few years. Unless we go back to hiring someone completely over his head (a la R.Houle), we

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Yeah, because most of those guys never chose to resign with Detroit vs other teams as UFAs? A lot of those guys were also drafted over a decade ago... Using Detroit as an example of building through the draft is ridiculous...
Player retention does not equate to signing UFAs or building through the UFA market.

If drafted players stay in Detroit, then perhaps Detroit is:

1) Drafting players that fit their system exceptionally well;
2) Drafting players who are loyal;
3) Deserve all the more credit for player retention

By the way, only Lidstrom was drafted over a decade ago among that list. Everyone else is under 30. So much for your dismissing of their draft record.

Old
12-04-2009, 04:25 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Player retention does not equate to signing UFAs or building through the UFA market.

If drafted players stay in Detroit, then perhaps Detroit is:

1) Drafting players that fit their system exceptionally well;
2) Drafting players who are loyal;
3) Deserve all the more credit for player retention

By the way, only Lidstrom was drafted over a decade ago among that list. Everyone else is under 30. So much for your dismissing of their draft record.
Because they have the luxury of being able to sign whomever they want (and they do, all the freaking time...), Detroit has the ability to swing for the fences with every pick.

You may also want to lookup the definition of the word "decade". Zetterberg and Datsyuk were also drafted over a decade ago, and i'll give you that Kronwall was drafted almost a decade ago (It'll be a decade in June)... The point still stands.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:28 PM
SooperSingh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I can't say I wouldn't want Pierre as GM, but he's not my first choice. I put a premieum on experience and past success. Lacroix I think should be the top candidate if he'd leave his job in Colorado. I also think guys like Rutherford could be had but then again you have to have a French GM in this city which seriously handicaps your choices.

I wonder if Scotty would take the position as GM 40 years after he was rebuffed from that position? Probably not, but could you just imagine!
Experience!!! you got it there! I, too feel that experience is necessary for a GM, especially in Montreal. I don't think we should be experimenting with new blood, especially at a GM position.

I feel that Pierre is not GM material. If i had to, I would take Bobby Mac over Pierre

SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:35 PM
emb24*

maguire on melnick right now:

'outside of my family, the habs are the most important thing in my life'

can we put the anti-hab crap to bed? he used to do color for habs radio pre tsn; he's a lifelong montrealer. he's hard on the habs because he loves the organization

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
maguire on melnick right now:

'outside of my family, the habs are the most important thing in my life'

can we put the anti-hab crap to bed? he used to do color for habs radio pre tsn; he's a lifelong montrealer. he's hard on the habs because he loves the organization
He's hard on the habs because he's paid to comment on teams...he's just being honest.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
No he's not. Holland will be there for a long time and Yzerman will get a GM job before that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman get a GM job within the year.

And this is stupid since our GM isn't going anywhere.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Holland retire, or settle down as President as Yzerman takes over the team. That really seems to be the direction the team is going in.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:49 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Please not Pierre. So many things wrong with him. He falls in love with players. He doesn't seem to work well in a team. Doesn't listen to criticism. It would be Barry Melrose all over again.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah blah blah View Post
A little hint...NOBODY in the last decade and longer have even considered McGuire for an NHL GM position with the exception of Minnesota. Think of all the vacancies and lunacy hirings and still no McGuire. Yet, he's supposed to be well liked and very respected for knowing the game.

Basically, it's not just me that thinks McGuire is not qualified. It's the freakin' NHL that doesn't think he is qualified.
I don't get offered a job everytime I walk into McDonald's and order a cheeseburger. Know what I mean?

Quote:

Yeah, not interested in A. Savard coming back.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
I would take Pierre for GM, no problem. I'm tired of seeing this team in the same spot it is in year after year. Hopefully he can take what he has learned in the last 10 years brodcasting and apply it to the position. I just think he understands the way the NHL works these days ie. contract negotiation and potential ufa's.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
after reading this thread and giving it some thought...I think I'm happy to keep Gainey where he is..

...oh to anyone who thought Serge Savard was a bad GM, remember in 12 years on the job....
- 2 Stanley Cups
- 3 Stanley Cup final appearances
- 5 Conference championship appearances
I agree. He always got a bad wrap. I do think he's been out of the game far too long now to be a decent gm however.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Well, if he had been GM, we would've drafted Parise , Richards and Marc Staal..not bad.
same year, same round... so, how ????

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
LesCanadiens

No thanks to the blowhard, loudmouth, legend in his own mind.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 05:51 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Chelios was traded there. Everyone else was a support/complementary player.
Hull, Shanahan, Robitaille, Rafalski... support players ? ? ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote