HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire will be in the GM replacement mix

Old
12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Because they have the luxury of being able to sign whomever they want (and they do, all the freaking time...), Detroit has the ability to swing for the fences with every pick.

You may also want to lookup the definition of the word "decade". Zetterberg and Datsyuk were also drafted over a decade ago, and i'll give you that Kronwall was drafted almost a decade ago (It'll be a decade in June)... The point still stands.
Give me a list of players that Detroit signs ''all the freaking time'.

And Detroit 'swings for the fences' with its 5th and 7th rounders? What are the rest of the teams doing, going for safe picks? Give me a break. You're reaching.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Hull, Shanahan, Robitaille, Rafalski... support players ? ? ?
Well, I was referring to players in your post. Rafalski's not a support player.

Shanahan was traded there, so it's curious that you keep mentioning these players who were traded to Detroit.

Hull, Robitaille, Verbeek, Larionov, et al. were all support players for Detroit. Sure, Hull put up great numbers, but he was entirely expendable. When he left, the team didn't miss a beat. He was far from a core player, which is why even after his last successful offensive campaign, the team didn't offer him a new contract.

The point is that Detroit identified its core very successfully, and surrounded it with excellent complementary players. That core was primarily drafted. To claim Detroit is anything but an organization built inhouse and with excellent management--and not through tossing cash around at free agents--is absurd. You'd be hard-pressed to find an NHL organization today that has more of its core, or even more players on its roster, that were developed inhouse than Detroit.

Old
12-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
I don't think a guy from New Jersey should run the Montreal Canadiens...NEVER

Nielson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:19 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Give me a list of players that Detroit signs ''all the freaking time'.
A couple of other posters already gave you a list. Give it up man... I'm done with this stupid discussion.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:43 PM
shealy04

In regards to the OP's comment of "Pierre knows talent."

I have to respectfully disagree... Pierre thinks that Dion Phaneuf is a great hockey player.

False.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post

I have to respectfully disagree... Pierre thinks that Dion Phaneuf is a great hockey player.

False.
Dion Phaneuf is a top-tier defenseman in this league, pretty damn close to elite.

He's overrated, but Pierre is right to love him, the guy is a stud.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:58 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

That http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_McGuire is McGuire's resume.

Seriously if this person wants to become a GM in the nhl, then maybe he should start by managing or coaching a hockey club in the AHL or anywhere below that. He basically has the equivalent of 0 experience. I don't get the support he gets for becoming GM AT ALL.

Start at the bottom of the ladder and make your proofs.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Mike8

Quote:
A couple of other posters already gave you a list. Give it up man... I'm done with this stupid discussion.
The only reason this discussion is stupid is because you're making stupid points, frankly.

First you claim that it's wrong to state Detroit is built through the draft: false, since most of their players are grown inhouse.

Then you claim they buy players 'all the freaking time' and point to other people's lists, when it's been shown that those lists are flawed (Chelios, Shanahan were traded for).

And throughout this time, you take a dismissive tone as though you're just so right and anyone who doesn't agree is blind. Well, the facts are on my side. So maybe you're just wanting a quick exit because you're too ashamed to admit you're wrong.

Old
12-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post

False.
actually, Mcguire doesnt think that phaneuf will make team canada. I know pierre is a polarizing figure because he's not afraid to ruffle some feathers. But the fact of the matter is that he gives the players a chance to talk to him. He doesn't hide behind the mic after some bold comments and I respect that.

As far as being a GM, you cant brush off the possibility completely. He wouldn't be my number one choice in this market due to a lack of experience at the GM level, but I think he has a vast knowledge of the players in this league and would do quite well in a pro scouting role for the habs (I dont know if he would be interested).

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:13 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
As per Tony Marinaro last night on the Baton Rouge Habs post game show:

''Pierre McGuire will be in the mix if Bob Gainey is fired''

What do you guys think about this and would you be content with him as GM of our beloved Habs?

Positives:

- He knows talent, knows the game and the players around the league
- He is agressive in his approach and believes in building through the draft
- He understands the CBA and the business side of the game
- He learned from the one and only Scotty Bowman

Negatives:

- He is a closet Maple Leafs fan
- He has verbally ripped the Habs, Habs players, coaching and management for years
- He has no experience as the GM of an NHL team

that prety much sums it up ...

Are him and marinaro engaged yet?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Interesting bilingual candidates (not that I care as far as a GM 'cause we're used to hear him 3 times a year...)

Blair McKasey
Alain Chainey
André Savard (blast from the past)
Julien Brisebois (too young, but I'll keep him on my team no matter what happens)
Claude Carrier
Claude Larose (not sure...)
Larry Carrière (not sure, part 2)

One non-french guy I'd like to have on my team:
Jarmo Kekalainen

Also....how about going the Agents route and see what kind of GM a guy like Robert Sauvé would be. If Lacroix was able to do it....I would not have confidence in Lupien though.
I wouldn't mind Dale Tallon. I think he did great in building the Hawks. He's bilingual comes from the area.

If the model are the Wings, the Habs could come up with some sort of team management group that could scare the rest of the teams. After those you mentioned, I think of Maguire, Pat Brisson(got a good on head on his shoulders, respected NHL agent), Patrick Roy(been in management for a while now, would be the opposite of Gainey and would be more active in shaking things up). Serge Savard and Scottie Bowman would be great as "Grand Manitou"-types as president or special advisors.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:41 AM
habtastic

I'm not even going to read past the first post and say that if that has 0.5% validity....kill me now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielson81 View Post
I don't think a guy from New Jersey should run the Montreal Canadiens...NEVER
I'd take Jon Stewart....he's dreaamy (and the smartest man alive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
He would trade everything the Habs had to acquire Phaneuf.
And then trade him for the MONSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I think a guy like Vincent Damphousse should receive more consideration than McGuire.
DAMn straight. That's actually not a bad idea, cuz aside from most AC guests, Vinny actually has a brain (So does Marc Denis, but I don't think he's quite ready)

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-06-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Merge
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:06 PM
CanadienErrant*

McGuire ? YEURK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carbonneau is the next GM...... OR ................. Roy

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Well, I'm waiting for it because I haven't seen it. What I see is a team that build it's key players through the draft (Fedorov, Yzerman, Osgood, Lidstrom, Konstantinov), did it again in the last few years (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Lidstrom still) and surrounded it nicely with intelligent signings and trades. Mike's right.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
McGuire ? YEURK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carbonneau is the next GM...... OR ................. Roy
What's the obsession with ex-players getting jobs? Most of the best GMs weren't star players, they were guys who went through every level to EARN their jobs. Bob Gainey is the exception, not the rule and even then he got his first job purely by name. The best GM and best coach in history (both Montreal Canadiens btw) were not ex players.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
The best GM and best coach in history (both Montreal Canadiens btw) were not ex players.
Actually, Scotty Bowman WAS a player in the minors, but he got hit in the head with a stick, fracturing his skull, thus ending his playing career.

OT, I know, but a little known fact that some might be interested in knowing.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Varlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
That http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_McGuire is McGuire's resume.

Seriously if this person wants to become a GM in the nhl, then maybe he should start by managing or coaching a hockey club in the AHL or anywhere below that. He basically has the equivalent of 0 experience. I don't get the support he gets for becoming GM AT ALL.

Start at the bottom of the ladder and make your proofs.
If you yell instead of talking you can sell almost anything. Look at shamwow and High def wrap around Sun glasses.

Varlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Hermamoud

If/when Gainey steps down, I hope Julien Brisebois is seriously considered to be his successsor. He's been brought up by the organization and has been doing a pretty good job with Hamilton, identifying the needs and patching holes when injuries happen. A bit like Guy Boucher, I'm curious to see what he can do on the big stage.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:38 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
If you yell instead of talking you can sell almost anything. Look at shamwow and High def wrap around Sun glasses.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
HomaridII

I wouldn't hire Mcguire as GM or coach, ever. But I would give him a job as an amateur scout or in the Pro Scouting Department ANYTIME, IMO, he is very much fit for either one of these jobs.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I wouldn't hire Mcguire as GM or coach, ever. But I would give him a job as an amateur scout or in the Pro Scouting Department ANYTIME, IMO, he is very much fit for either one of these jobs.
That's exactly what McGuire would be good as. But I'm pretty sure he'd rather be doing what he is right now.

Quote:
Chelios was traded there.
But he did re-sign there after that.

Quote:
Everyone else was a support/complementary player.
Oh, all I was saying is that Detroit was indeed a very attractive destination for UFAs, not trying to say that's how they built their team.

Should have followed the discussion more attentively.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-06-2009 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Merge
Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:03 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
hahaha!

thats thread worthy ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:47 PM
exile550

Vincent Damphousse.

/end Thread.

exile550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:52 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Well, I was referring to players in your post. Rafalski's not a support player.

Shanahan was traded there, so it's curious that you keep mentioning these players who were traded to Detroit.

Hull, Robitaille, Verbeek, Larionov, et al. were all support players for Detroit. Sure, Hull put up great numbers, but he was entirely expendable. When he left, the team didn't miss a beat. He was far from a core player, which is why even after his last successful offensive campaign, the team didn't offer him a new contract.

The point is that Detroit identified its core very successfully, and surrounded it with excellent complementary players. That core was primarily drafted. To claim Detroit is anything but an organization built inhouse and with excellent management--and not through tossing cash around at free agents--is absurd. You'd be hard-pressed to find an NHL organization today that has more of its core, or even more players on its roster, that were developed inhouse than Detroit.
you don't remember what was their payroll like before the actual CBA I guess...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Actually, Scotty Bowman WAS a player in the minors, but he got hit in the head with a stick, fracturing his skull, thus ending his playing career.

OT, I know, but a little known fact that some might be interested in knowing.
You don't have to be a NHL level player to understand the game at a high level. Some guys are VERY smart at analysing hockey but just don't have the physical skills to get to an elite level, it's no shame or indicative of lack of qualification, they could be brilliant coaches or GMs.

Similarly there are plenty of NHLers who are dumb as bricks who get by on their tremendous physical attributes but would be awful GMs/Coaches.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote