HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

04 EDM 1st, will draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I think Cerebral needs glasses....
Eep.. You win this round!

Old
04-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Cerebral

The one guy I really don't want to see the Oilers draft is Chipchura. He sounds like a really solid 2-way player with great intangibles like leadership ability but he just seems to similar to a number of players we already have. He's certainly a fairly safe pick but he's really not what the Oilers need. I think Stoll is going to be our third line centerman (and possibly some spot 2nd line duty too) for a number of years and thus picking up Chipchura doesn't seem very practical to me. I'm a big proponent of picking the best player available but I'd prefer it if the Oilers draft someone different or trade down if Chipchura is the best guy at their spot.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:05 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
There seems to be a drop-off after the top 11 skaters, that's for sure. If one of those guys doesn't fall to KLo, I wouldn't be surprised to see him trade down a couple picks for another second.
I agree, especially if Stafford and Picard are gone by their pick. I don't see the Oilers taking a flyer on a goalie, and might trade down three or four picks in hopes of getting a later round pick while still snagging a guy they have their sights on to a lesser extent... maybe Chipchura?

Old
04-15-2004, 08:09 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
i really think that at 14 you have to go Boom or Bust, i would hate to see Chipchura because as speeds said "he's a safe/solid" pick. I think that in a draft like this thats a terrible way to go. There are definitely players with higher upside than chipchura that will be available at 14...

outside of the top 5-6 whichi don't see it realistic to trade up into i like...

Thelen
Tukonen
Wolski (although he sounds a bit soft)
Picard (depending on how far they are able to move up)

I don't like safe picks or goalies at #14 espeecially when there will be players lik ethat later in the first round.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:56 PM
speeds

normally I hate safe picks around where EDM would be picking, but when I read about Chipchura I get the feeling his upside is underrated.

I don't think I'd be too upset if EDM ended up with Chipchura (depending, of course, on who else is left on board)

Old
04-15-2004, 09:05 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
normally I hate safe picks around where EDM would be picking, but when I read about Chipchura I get the feeling his upside is underrated.

I don't think I'd be too upset if EDM ended up with Chipchura (depending, of course, on who else is left on board)
Ya i know every where he seems Underrated for his offence.but come on his name makes up for it?

Old
04-15-2004, 09:23 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
Ya i know every where he seems Underrated for his offence.but come on his name makes up for it?
Well, I don't know too many of these kids in the upcoming Draft or know much about them but I do know about Chipchura. I reffed him when he was a kid and he was unreal. He was always playing against kids 1 or even 2 levels higher then him and he was still the "star" player on the ice. Sure lots of these guys in the Draft were like that but I'm just giving info on Chipchura since I know him. He is strong on the puck, is a good passer and is a pretty strong skater too. He isn't afraid to muck it up either, he fights his own battles(he literally likes to fight). I wouldn't mind him as an Oiler but that's because I am a bit biased with this one. Would be neat to see someone I know play for the Oilers!! Chipchura is also a big fan of the Oilers and we all know how Lowe likes his Alberta boys.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I'm not yet in NHL draft mode so I haven't formed any strong opinions. However I too have seen Chipchura and feel he will be a solid pro. Very good all around game, the question for me is how high is his potential to score at the NHL level. I don't have a good read on that.

Tukonen is intriguing. Likely won't drop to our spot. And with the Flyer pick, Dubnyk interests me for his size, athleticism, and potential. Hopefully he isn't the second coming of Darryl Reagh, a past big Kamloops goalie the Oilers gambled on.

I will check back in with less wishy-washer opinions in May.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Slats432

Personally, I think that it would be a mistake for the Oilers to pick a goalie at 14th. With Dubnyk, Schwarz, Montoya, Ellis, Schneider, Brown all decent goalie prospects, 14 is the only place they could draft high end skill.

Personally the forward drop off is a far greater incline than defensemen and goalies, I think that the Oilers would still like the goaltender or blueliner they selected at the Philly pick and on into the 2nd round.

Consider for a moment that Kevin Lowe by his own admission stated that one of the deficiencies of the franchise are with the high end skill department. I think that even if it is a chancy pick like Linsin or Sindel they are more likely to go that way than select a goaltender.

Let's talk forwards...
Ovechkin
Malkin
Olesz
Schremp
Tukonen
Radulov
Voloshenko(has been coming on lately)
Wolski
Ladd
Chipchura
Picard
Bolland(At times I have heard OHL fans talk as highly of him as Schremp)
Sindel
Lisin
Stafford
McGrath

If we did a mock we would probably see Barker, O'Neill, Thelen gone before 14.
Oveckin, Schremp, Malkin, Olesz, Tukonen, Ladd, Stafford, Wolski, Picard are the forwards that I expect to see gone by 14th. With this in mind, let's say that Los Angeles decides they need a goalie more than anything and select either Montoya, Dubnyk or Schwarz.

Ovechkin
Malkin
Olesz
Schremp
Tukonen

Wolski
Ladd
Chipchura
Picard

Stafford
Radulov
Voloshenko
Bolland
Sindel
Lisin

Personally, my biggest hope in this draft is one thing, that someone falls in love with Jeff Schultz, Mike Green, Boris Valabik, Andrej Meszaros before the Oilers pick. Either that or someone else decides to grab a goalie early.

Because thinking about the blueliners....
Barker, O'Neill, Thelen, any of the above, Fransson, Lepisto, Lyamin, Smid, Rogers, Funk, Fistric, that means that there are at least 15 to 20 really solid blueliner prospects that the Oilers could get in the 2nd round, giving up that they take a goalie with the Philly pick.(which is what I would do) That way, you get the high end skill guy in the first round, the 2nd or 3rd best ranked goalie,(and I really haven't seen much to decide between Schwarz, Dubnyk and Montoya) and a solid blueliner in the 2nd round.

But then again.....maybe it's just me.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Personally, my biggest hope in this draft is one thing, that someone falls in love with Jeff Schultz, Mike Green, Boris Valabik, Andrej Meszaros before the Oilers pick. Either that or someone else decides to grab a goalie early.
That's the thing. I personally believe there's a dropoff right around the Oilers' pick (14-15). It means they should be able to get some talent before the dropoff, but every surprise (like you mentioned above) helps.

That's why I think that if the Oilers aren't able to trade up, and the talent runs dry by the time #14 rolls around, I would be in favour of taking Schwarz or Montoya. I'd rather they do that than trade down.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Asiaoil

I hope we move up to between #5-10 because I don't see #14 as a good place to be in this draft. We also have the chips needed to get a higher pick (an extra first round pick and a variety of trade-able prospects and veterans). We sure as heck are not getting Ovechkin or Malkin - but these guys could be interesting if we move up:

Tukonen - you can never have too many high level center prospects

Picard - big, sniper, younger than most, responsible on defense, leading his team in the regular season and playoffs - what's not to like. This kid could shock people next year and some posters liken him to a young Iginla.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Sorry, forgot to say my first choice is to move picks and players to get a top three or five pick. Go after our highest rated skill guy in this position and aim for a frachise-type player.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Hemsky01

Have to say I really disagree on Chipchura. I think he has some of the most high-end potential in the draft. I have seen him play about 10 times this year and his biggest problem was consistency. He really played better as a 16 year old than a 17 year old. I was at the playoff game against Brandon where he got 5 points (should have been 6 but one goal was called back) and he looked like a man among boys. He was one of the top picks in the Bantam Draft, and I think he can be a good centre, he just had an off year.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:13 AM
YKOil

A quick...

... review of different scouting services show that:

McKeen's (the listing I could get for free)

01. Alex Ovechkin RW RUS
02. Evgeni Malkin C RUS
03. Rostislav Olesz C CZE
04. Cam Barker D CAN
05. Andrew Ladd LW CAN

11. A.J. Thelen D US

International Scouting Services

01. ALEXANDRE OVECHKIN, LW, 6-2/205, R, 9-17-85, Dynamo Moscow
02. EVGENI MALKIN, C, 6-3/185, L, 7-31-86, Magnitogorsk
03. ROBBIE SCHREMP, C, 6-0/ 200, L, 07-01-86, London
04. CAM BARKER, D, 6-3/206, L, 4-4-86, Medicine Hat
05. ROSTISLAV OLESZ, C, 6-2/200, L, 10-10-85, Vitkovice
06. WOJTEK WOLSKI, LW, 6-3/188, L, 2-24-86, Brampton
07. ANDREW LADD, LW, 6-2/200, L, 12-12-85, Calgary
08. LAURI TUKONEN, RW, 6-2/198, R, 09-01-86, Espoo Blues
09. DREW STAFFORD, RW, 6-2/200, R, 10-30-85, U. of North Dakota
10. ANDREJ MESZAROS, D, 6-2/187, L, 10-13-85, Trencin Dukla

Redline Report

01. Alexandre Ovechkin LW 6-1/195 R 9-17-85 Dynamo Moscow
02. Evgeni Malkin (injured) C 6-3/186 L 7-31-86 Magnitogorsk
03. Cam Barker D 6-3/206 L 4-4-86 Medicine Hat
04. Rostislav Olesz (injured) C 6-2/191 L 10-10-85 Vitkovice
05. Alexander Radulov RW 6-1/178 L 7-5-86 Dynamo Moscow
06. Lauri Tukonen (injured) C 6-2/196 R 9-1-86 Espoo
07. Drew Stafford RW 6-2/200 R 10-19-85 Univ. of North Dakota
08. Marek Schwarz G 5-11/165 R 4-1-86 Sparta Praha
09. Andrew Ladd LW 6-2/199 L 12-12-85 Calgary
10. Enver Lisin RW 6-1/189 L 4-22-86 Dynamo Moscow

Pretty obvious that Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, Ladd and Tukonen WILL be gone in the first 10 picks. They may even be the first 6 taken.

Just took a look at the CSB rankings and I have come to the conclusion that Picard, Stafford, Schrempf, Wolski & Radulov are also good bets to go top-12.

If you are counting I have picked out 11 guys who are sure/excellent bets to go top-12 and I have picked up ZERO goaltenders and only ONE d-man.

I am left with thinking that Lowe will NOT move up in the draft. At least one of Thelen, Green, Chipchura, Schwarz & Montoya will be available at the 14th pick and Lowe will be happy with that.

YKOil

Old
04-16-2004, 02:56 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
Have to say I really disagree on Chipchura. I think he has some of the most high-end potential in the draft. I have seen him play about 10 times this year and his biggest problem was consistency. He really played better as a 16 year old than a 17 year old. I was at the playoff game against Brandon where he got 5 points (should have been 6 but one goal was called back) and he looked like a man among boys. He was one of the top picks in the Bantam Draft, and I think he can be a good centre, he just had an off year.
You could well be right about that. I like Picard a lot - but I would not be upset if we got Chipchura. He could be another guy who explode as an 18 year old and make people regret passing on him. Chipchura at #14 and Dubnyk at #25 would OK - center/goalie

Old
04-16-2004, 04:29 AM
nineteen79

I think we have to address the the fact we need to add more high end talen to our organization and I say we pass on Chipcura at #14 to get that.I would take Picard if he's their but I doubt he slips to us.My second choice would be Andrej Meszaros.He's a blueliner with a heavy shot and has good offensive insticnts and decent size as well (6'2 190).He could be our offensive dman were looking for.He also has a chance to play for Slovakia at the World championships this year.My pick at #24 would be between Dubnyk and the Big Dman Valabik.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:23 AM
boxall9

I think David Bolland from the London Knights would be a good pick, he was awesome this year.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=71780

Old
04-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
But that's the problem, I think he's too inconsistent offensively for the 14th pick. Yeah he had a 5 point game, but he only put up 1 point in the other 5 games and Prince Albert was eliminated.

He just reminds me of a Barry Fraser draft pick, and that makes me want the Oilers to not draft him.

Old
04-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil
... review of different scouting services show that:

McKeen's (the listing I could get for free)

01. Alex Ovechkin RW RUS
02. Evgeni Malkin C RUS
03. Rostislav Olesz C CZE
04. Cam Barker D CAN
05. Andrew Ladd LW CAN

11. A.J. Thelen D US

International Scouting Services

01. ALEXANDRE OVECHKIN, LW, 6-2/205, R, 9-17-85, Dynamo Moscow
02. EVGENI MALKIN, C, 6-3/185, L, 7-31-86, Magnitogorsk
03. ROBBIE SCHREMP, C, 6-0/ 200, L, 07-01-86, London
04. CAM BARKER, D, 6-3/206, L, 4-4-86, Medicine Hat
05. ROSTISLAV OLESZ, C, 6-2/200, L, 10-10-85, Vitkovice
06. WOJTEK WOLSKI, LW, 6-3/188, L, 2-24-86, Brampton
07. ANDREW LADD, LW, 6-2/200, L, 12-12-85, Calgary
08. LAURI TUKONEN, RW, 6-2/198, R, 09-01-86, Espoo Blues
09. DREW STAFFORD, RW, 6-2/200, R, 10-30-85, U. of North Dakota
10. ANDREJ MESZAROS, D, 6-2/187, L, 10-13-85, Trencin Dukla

Redline Report

01. Alexandre Ovechkin LW 6-1/195 R 9-17-85 Dynamo Moscow
02. Evgeni Malkin (injured) C 6-3/186 L 7-31-86 Magnitogorsk
03. Cam Barker D 6-3/206 L 4-4-86 Medicine Hat
04. Rostislav Olesz (injured) C 6-2/191 L 10-10-85 Vitkovice
05. Alexander Radulov RW 6-1/178 L 7-5-86 Dynamo Moscow
06. Lauri Tukonen (injured) C 6-2/196 R 9-1-86 Espoo
07. Drew Stafford RW 6-2/200 R 10-19-85 Univ. of North Dakota
08. Marek Schwarz G 5-11/165 R 4-1-86 Sparta Praha
09. Andrew Ladd LW 6-2/199 L 12-12-85 Calgary
10. Enver Lisin RW 6-1/189 L 4-22-86 Dynamo Moscow

Pretty obvious that Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, Ladd and Tukonen WILL be gone in the first 10 picks. They may even be the first 6 taken.

Just took a look at the CSB rankings and I have come to the conclusion that Picard, Stafford, Schrempf, Wolski & Radulov are also good bets to go top-12.

If you are counting I have picked out 11 guys who are sure/excellent bets to go top-12 and I have picked up ZERO goaltenders and only ONE d-man.

I am left with thinking that Lowe will NOT move up in the draft. At least one of Thelen, Green, Chipchura, Schwarz & Montoya will be available at the 14th pick and Lowe will be happy with that.

YKOil
Don't put too much stock in those scouting publications. Go back and compare past drafts and the scouting publications predictions. You'll find they're not always even that close.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:21 AM
YKOil

No...

Quote:
Don't put too much stock in those scouting publications. Go back and compare past drafts and the scouting publications predictions. You'll find they're not always even that close.
...dispute with what you are saying at all Boon, however I have also observed over the years that when they ALL agree on players then those players do tend to get picked, in the draft, very near the spot they are predicted to go.

Ovechkin & Malkin WILL go in the first three as they are top-2 on every list - only Malkin's concussion may move him down a spot.

Olesz is rated at 3, 5 and 4 respectively and is the 3rd Euro listed at CSB - for him to fall out of the top-5 would be a major shock.

Barker is also on all three lists at 4, 4 and 3, he is the 5th NorAm listed at CSB and the highest listed d-man - for him to fall out of the top-6 would also be a big shock.

Ladd is 5, 7 and 9 and is ranked top-2 NorAm at CSB - a top-8 pick if ever there was one.

etc.

Will there be some surprises with this draft group? Of course there will (Thelen is a real wildcard in my opinion and some GM may even pick him top-8) BUT not so much so that the lists are valueless. Let's face it - ONLY three things screw up draft order on, what I call, an interesting basis:

1. Wildcard pick - Antropov & Niinimaki come to mind
2. Size matters - Hudler is the prime example of this
3. Injury concern - Sykora in the wheelchair for the win

Take it all into consideration and one is safe to assume that for a player like Picard, who is:

- out of the top-10 on two of the major lists, and
- ranked 4th in NA behind Wolski (but just ahead of Barker)

should show up somewhere between 9th and 14th. For him to go higher than that makes him a 'wildcard' pick and for him to go lower than that means that he has some problem no one has publicly stated (i.e. where all the scouts know of him as a 'boozer' (for example) and that scares everyone off).

Where this will get really interesting is when we get closer to draft day and the lists are finalized - CSB is almost a waste of time right now as they still have mid-term lists up.

YKOil

Old
04-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I averaged several different lists last year to create a "consensus" list. What happened? The first 9 picks of the draft went exactly according to my list. Of course then some guys like Getzlaf fell but is was a fairly good list.

I think if we did some hardcore research we'd find some of the lists are better than others. I've had Redline for the past 3 years and I'd say they're probably closer in their 1st round rankings then CSB usually is. Of course they have their players that they dislike that lot's are high on (Schremp) and they've been high on guys in the past that ended up going way later (they had Hudler ranked top 12 in his draft IIRC.)

Old
04-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
FDW, if you had to guess, based on what you've read and what you expect to unfold in the top 13, what 3 or 4 players might you think a team like EDM would be interested in?
Well I don't have a good read on Edmonton's scouting staff and what I think an "Oiler" pick will be (maybe they don't even have enough leanings to be able to do so). I do know what type of guys the Flames will probably look at so here's my thoughts on who I am looking at with the Flames #19 pick (5 back of you guys.) Since I don't like to rule out too many guys as locks for the top 15 this is a big list.

"Dave Bolland (6'0 gritty centre with skills)

Boris Valabik (6'6 Slovakian monster on defense plays a rough game)

Mike Green (6'1 averaged sized puck moving defensemen with an edge, been compared with Hamhuis)

Al Montoya, Devan Dubnyk, Marek Schwarz (some of the top goalies in the draft, Tod Button says it's a good year for goalies and listed these guys and said Sutter has given them the go ahead to take a goalie if they feel strongly.)

Alexandre Picard (6'2 QMJHL sniper)

Ladislav Smid (6'2 steady Czech defender)

A.J. Thelan (lot's of poster on HF seem to think his stock is on the rise, 6'2 college defender with great point totals in freshman year)

Wes O'Neill (6'3 college defender with all the tools but hasn't quite put it all together yet.)

Petteri Nokelainen, Lauri Korpikoski (a couple of 6'1 Finnish wingers that have had strong seasons internationally, both play a gritty, physical style from what I've heard but also have some skill and size.)

Ondrej Meszaros (6'2 Slovak defender)

Kyle Chipchura (6'2 playmaking centre)

I tend to think the Flames will shy away from the stereotypical Euro style forward's who can be inconsistent, soft, etc. Some who fit this profile who may be around include Alexander Radulov (probably goes top 15), Evner Lisin, Jakub Sindel, Wojtek Wolski, and Lukas Kaspar.

Guys like Alexandre Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Cam Barker, Drew Stafford, Rostislav Olesz, Lauri Tukonen, Andrew Ladd (of the Hitmen), Robbie Schremp, are all locks to go ahead of our pick IMO. At least one of the goalies (Schwarz or Montoya) will likely go ahead of our pick, perhaps both."

FDW's Oiler analysis: Now given your history with Niinimaki (sp?), Hemsky, Mikhnov, etc I think the Oilers are far more likely than the Flames to take one of the softer, more skilled "euro" stereotype of forward. So for you guys I think Lisin (who is getting similar praise from Redline as Semin did), Radulov (Redline shot this guy up on their charts similar to how Kastsitsyn did), Sindel, Wolski and Kasper may all be under consideration. The kind of comments on Wolski make me feel that he may end up falling like a Henrich did (shys away from physical play, inconsistent, etc.)

I think if Schwarz is there you've got to take him considering how many seem to think he's a top 8 talent. Right now it looks to me like Montoya and Schwarz are a notch above Dubnyk and the rest. Schneider is currently having a strong U-18 so he may shoot up into mid first round consideration and may be a guy to look at for your Philly first.

Interesting to note that while a lot of HF posters are hyped on North American players like Thelen and O'Neill (as obviously it's a lot easier to see them than the euro's) I've heard it suggested from reputable sources that guys like Smid and Meszaros will be closer in that mix then a lot of the HF mock drafts so far would indicate. I think the one problem HF has is that the middle ground euro's tend to get underrated due to a lack of knowledge. So don't be suprised if a few of them go before the EDM pick (Radulov for example) and don't be surprised if EDM is ranking some of the euro's higher than "consensus" is on these boards lately...

I'll probably do another averaged rankings and I'll probably do some mock drafts as I get my THN and the Redline draft guide. Just PM me closer to the draft.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 04-16-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old
04-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Interesting to note that while a lot of HF posters are hyped on North American players like Thelen and O'Neill (as obviously it's a lot easier to see them than the euro's) I've heard it suggested from reputable sources that guys like Smid and Meszaros will be closer in that mix then a lot of the HF mock drafts so far would indicate. I think the one problem HF has is that the middle ground euro's tend to get underrated due to a lack of knowledge. So don't be suprised if a few of them go before the EDM pick (Radulov for example) and don't be surprised if EDM is ranking some of the euro's higher than "consensus" is on these boards lately....
That's a good point, FDW. Some more fuel for the fire from one of Kyle Woodlief's Redline Reports:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Reports' Kyle Woodlief
One potential bit of fallout from the upcoming CBA war that Red Line hadn't considered was suggested to us recently by an Eastern Conference scout. The scout opined that as much as 75% of the 2004 and 2005 drafts could come from Europe and the U.S. high school/college ranks so that these players would not have to be offered contracts until the new CBA is agreed upon. It's a fair point if you draft a top CHL prospect in '04 and the labor strife drags on, would you still have to find big money to sign your draftee? And if you didn't offer him a contract, would he go back into the '06 draft pool, or become a free agent? Interesting questions.....
This makes me think that a cost-conscious team like Edmonton is really going to factor this into their drafting equation......

EDIT: Link http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...woodlief_x.htm

Last edited by Boondock Saint: 04-16-2004 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Add link
Old
04-16-2004, 08:37 PM
hunter orange

Pick Sindel if Picard is gone. We need a true sniper. Sports writers always dub Europeans "soft" if they're skilled forwards and haven't seen them play a lot. They have to balance their bio and "soft" is the buzz word of the last 15 years. The guy has the tools to be a HAVLAT. If that's soft...I'll take it!!

Old
04-16-2004, 08:43 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
Pick Sindel if Picard is gone. We need a true sniper. Sports writers always dub Europeans "soft" if they're skilled forwards and haven't seen them play a lot. They have to balance their bio and "soft" is the buzz word of the last 15 years. The guy has the tools to be a HAVLAT. If that's soft...I'll take it!!
I think we could get one of those snipers with our second first rounder.

Closed Thread