HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you decide which blade curve is right for you?

Old
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
tobyandmisty

vCash: 500
How do you decide which blade curve is right for you?

I had never given it any thought in the past. I would normally just buy a stick at a decent price and use it, not paying any attention to the curve of the blade. I got a great deal on a Warrior stick, but am not sure if it is the right fit.

Is it a simple as going to a hockey store and seeing which curve you have the most accuracy with or is there more to it?

Thanks.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:53 AM
rinkrat22

in the old days (when we used wood sticks) it was much easier, just get out the torch and curve it to your liking, file a little of the bottom to change the lie and you were gtg.

But now in the composite era I think its more trial and error since you are for the most part stuck with what you have.(I know some guys claim to have changed a composite curve) but that weakens the blade alot. My suggestion is to go with a 2 piece stick untill you find what works for you. Then if you want to convert to a ops you have an idea of what to buy.

I have used a little heat experimenting on an older composite blade just to see how easy or hard it is to change the curve and in my experience it just ruins the blade.
just my $.02 though

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:03 PM
mbush82

Here's a pretty good article that helped me decide.

http://www.tampabaylightningcare.com...stick-blade-2/

mbush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Ani simov mal

Position and playing style is the most important.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:08 PM
HerrAlex

Um if you play with a curve enough you will probably always get used to it, but the way I view it. the flatter you can get it will it still doing everything you want it to the better

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:07 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyandmisty View Post
I had never given it any thought in the past. I would normally just buy a stick at a decent price and use it, not paying any attention to the curve of the blade. I got a great deal on a Warrior stick, but am not sure if it is the right fit.

Is it a simple as going to a hockey store and seeing which curve you have the most accuracy with or is there more to it?

Thanks.
The only way to find out what curve is best for use is to experiment and take shots.

Ypou could read ever article there is on which curve is better for certain shots/position/play style whatever. But everyone is different, you might perfer a curve that these articles says is the opposite of what you should be using.

Anything/anyone that tells YOU what YOU should use, YOU should take that info for what it is, someone elses opinion. Only tou can tell what will work for you.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

I used to curve my own back in the day in the crack of a door after being heated .... nowadays i buy something close to what I used then or experiment with different patterns every now and again. This is one reason i like the two piece composite sticks.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:43 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbush82 View Post
Here's a pretty good article that helped me decide.

http://www.tampabaylightningcare.com...stick-blade-2/
Thanks for posting the link for the article! Seems like it would be beneficial to have a two piece set up, so that a player can experiment with different curves without breaking the bank. For my next stick, I'm going to get a two piece and try out a couple of different curves; I've always wanted to try out other curves.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:57 AM
LarryO

Don't forget that the lie is just as important as the curve.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:54 AM
StrykerB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
The only way to find out what curve is best for use is to experiment and take shots.

Ypou could read ever article there is on which curve is better for certain shots/position/play style whatever. But everyone is different, you might perfer a curve that these articles says is the opposite of what you should be using.

Anything/anyone that tells YOU what YOU should use, YOU should take that info for what it is, someone elses opinion. Only tou can tell what will work for you.
This thread couldn't have been answered any better!The only thing I could add is to make sure you pratice ALL shots (wristers, snapshots, and slappers) with each curve you try.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Don't forget that the lie is just as important as the curve.
I would argue almost that the lie is more important than the curve of the stick for a beginner who doesn't know how to adjust for a bad lie.

I would also suggest a basic mid curve that isn't very deep for a beginner so he or she can have a universal blade for all types of play until they figure out what they should be using.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Heat McManus

Trial and error.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 04:41 PM
IniNew

I agree that Lie is the only thing someone just starting should worry about. Adjusting to curves is not that big of a deal once you learn the basics of shooting. Having the most possible blade in contact of the ice while skating is most important.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Trial and error for me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
I bought a couple different curves to figure out my favorite. Right now, it's either Madano or Recchi that I get most control with. Its all about feel.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote